PDA

View Full Version : Spores druid help!

intregus
2020-01-16, 10:20 AM
Alright so I am getting to play in curse of strahd and need some help

In the party already is a gloomstalker, life cleric, and undying pact tomelock

Starting level is 4 with 27 point buy in.

I am wanting to make a tortle or lizardfolk circle of spores druid but need help mechanically.

Brief background of character
He’s lawful evil or neutral evil from Ravnica, golgari guild, seeking the powers of the amber temple. He wants these powers to either A. go back and take over the golgari B. Overthrow strahd and take over barovia or C. move onto some other plane to do something nefarious? Still haven’t decided exactly which one yet.

I usually don’t multiclass until after level 5 but druid is a new class for me so I’m open to it and I’m not really sure what the Druids best level 3 spells are and if I need to rush to 5 to get them before multiclassing.

Other than using a shield and shileighleigh on a staff what can I do with this build mechanically? Should I go tortle or lizardfolk? Should I scrap spores druid and go land?

Any insight would be much appreciated!

airless_wing
2020-01-16, 10:27 AM
Spore Druids can handle themselves surprisingly well in melee, especially with Animated Dead or Conjured Animals to aid them. Shillelagh with Symbiotic Entity gives you better damage out of your attacks than other Druid cantrips, and your Spores give you a solid use of your reaction, so long as enemies are around. Use Animated Dead or Conjured Animals (or both) to grapple/prone enemies for advantage and crowd control, as well as your other fantastic crowd control spells (Faerie Fire, Entangle, Plant Growth, Spike Growth, Flame Sphere/Heal Metal) depending on what the situation calls for. Call Lightning competes with your action, so it wouldn't be my go-to for most situations.

I'd definitely go straight druid: their spell progression is very important, and, since they are fairly SAD, you'll want to max out that Wisdom as fast as possible.

elyktsorb
2020-01-16, 10:38 AM
Multiclassing druid should only ever be for 2 level dips to get wildshape for shenanigans, stealth and scouting. As someone who recently just came off of a campaign as a Spore Druid/ Scout Rogue, do not Multiclass Druid past lvl 2.

OgataiKhan
2020-01-16, 11:26 AM
Alright so I am getting to play in curse of strahd and need some help

In the party already is a gloomstalker, life cleric, and undying pact tomelock

Starting level is 4 with 27 point buy in.

I am wanting to make a tortle or lizardfolk circle of spores druid but need help mechanically.

Brief background of character
He’s lawful evil or neutral evil from Ravnica, golgari guild, seeking the powers of the amber temple. He wants these powers to either A. go back and take over the golgari B. Overthrow strahd and take over barovia or C. move onto some other plane to do something nefarious? Still haven’t decided exactly which one yet.

I usually don’t multiclass until after level 5 but druid is a new class for me so I’m open to it and I’m not really sure what the Druids best level 3 spells are and if I need to rush to 5 to get them before multiclassing.

Other than using a shield and shileighleigh on a staff what can I do with this build mechanically? Should I go tortle or lizardfolk? Should I scrap spores druid and go land?

Any insight would be much appreciated!

You can be quite decent in melee as a Spore Druid in the early game, but your effectiveness will fall off as you level up. Polearm Master used with a quarterstaff (for Shillelagh) significantly increases your damage by giving you a bonus action attack.

You'll also want War Caster in order to cast with your hands full. I prefer this build on a VHuman because it is very feat-hungry.

The Druid's best level 3 spell is easily Conjure Animals, that's what I'd use most of my 3rd level slots for. The DPR increase against enemies that aren't immune to nonmagical weapons is very significant.

Remember to ask your DM about playing a Tortle or Lizardfolk however: those two races do not exist on Ravnica. Perhaps you could reskin a Lizardfolk as a Viashino?

intregus
2020-01-16, 12:45 PM
You can be quite decent in melee as a Spore Druid in the early game, but your effectiveness will fall off as you level up. Polearm Master used with a quarterstaff (for Shillelagh) significantly increases your damage by giving you a bonus action attack.

You'll also want War Caster in order to cast with your hands full. I prefer this build on a VHuman because it is very feat-hungry.

The Druid's best level 3 spell is easily Conjure Animals, that's what I'd use most of my 3rd level slots for. The DPR increase against enemies that aren't immune to nonmagical weapons is very significant.

Remember to ask your DM about playing a Tortle or Lizardfolk however: those two races do not exist on Ravnica. Perhaps you could reskin a Lizardfolk as a Viashino?

I don't have to be ravnica and my Dm probably won't mind if I'm a race for, there. But I did not realize they weren't in ravnica so thanks for the heads up!

I was thinking if probably need to get warcaster. Wasn't sure if I had any good BA spells that I'd use instead of PAM