PDA

View Full Version : RP help! How would you Kenku Artificer?

Spectrulus
2020-01-16, 01:38 PM
Hey all!

This combination popped into my head, and I'd love to see some of your ideas about it.

So Kenku in most lore-groupings are depicted as having a racial difficulty with being creative. In most RPG settings Artificers are mechanical or arcano-mechanical inventors.

This dichotomy sounds like a ripe ground for roleplaying. How do you think these would interact? What ideas would you have to make it work?

Enixon
2020-01-16, 02:25 PM
the simplest way I figure would just be to say he or she copies the designs of other artificers rather than make up their own, or perhaps mix a match parts from other designs to pass it off as their own original design.

GrayDeath
2020-01-16, 04:08 PM
How would I WHAT KenkuA rtificer?

Build one? Play one? Cook one? ^^

In general, I`d make the the Autoplagiarists of "Enter Setting". Done.

Spore
2020-01-17, 05:18 AM
To counterpoint those two mimicry ideas above, I'll say: Anything that a normal artificer does but as flashy as they can manage - both literally and figuratively.

Adventurers are rarely "normal", (after all, of course let's give up a safe life to try and wrestle some kobolds for a few pieces of shiny objects), thus your artificer does not need to be a typical member of its race.

zinycor
2020-01-17, 10:45 AM
To counterpoint those two mimicry ideas above, I'll say: Anything that a normal artificer does but as flashy as they can manage - both literally and figuratively.

Adventurers are rarely "normal", (after all, of course let's give up a safe life to try and wrestle some kobolds for a few pieces of shiny objects), thus your artificer does not need to be a typical member of its race.
I like this answer.

In regards to race I will always advice to think on: How does this character fit into its race stereotypes? How have their culture affected them? What aspects do they reject?

Cazero
2020-01-17, 11:10 AM
Like a scientist.
Observe. Imitate.
Combine. Improve.
Experiment. The more you do, the more you can copy.

Leon
2020-01-17, 12:05 PM
Birds of a feather, craft together

AHalfOrc
2020-01-17, 12:45 PM
Kenku can only speak by imitating what they've heard other say, right? So my first goal for this character would be to try and craft some kind of mechanical voice box to speak for them!

Tvtyrant
2020-01-17, 01:03 PM
Hey all!

This combination popped into my head, and I'd love to see some of your ideas about it.

So Kenku in most lore-groupings are depicted as having a racial difficulty with being creative. In most RPG settings Artificers are mechanical or arcano-mechanical inventors.

This dichotomy sounds like a ripe ground for roleplaying. How do you think these would interact? What ideas would you have to make it work?
Like a kleptomaniac. If you have played 40k the Magos from there are a good fit; collecting and hoarding tech recipes, finding items that they don't share with the party, etc. For instance instead of actually making items they are looted secretly from fallen foes, so that Wand of Fireball was actually the property of the goblin chief you just diplomatically talked to.