PDA

View Full Version : Returning to 3.5e after a decade with other systems (Need build help)

Mongobear
2020-01-17, 12:40 AM
Howdy fellow Playgrounders, I need some assistance.

After nearly a decade away from 3.5e, my group decided to take a break from out current ruleset, and return to 3.5e. However, after many different rule variations, I have forgotten a lot of the finesse of how certain builds and stuff works, so I decided to bring my idea and goal to you guys.

My desire, is to build a slightly less optimized Mailman Sorc, that also uses as much metamagic reduction as I can, without the loopholes of using +0 MM effects to net a free +1 for elsewhere. (The DM has expressed his disdain for this combo.) We are also using the Spell Points variant from UA, and are using a homebrew setting that does not allow sources from Campaign Specific books, such as Faerun, Eberron, Dragonlance, etc. Strictly "generic" sources, only, which I already realized negates the usual Mailman's access to Incantatrix.

We are starting at 3rd level, no Traits/Flaws, rolled stats but use standard point buy for the purposes of the suggestion i can modify once I roll later, and LA Buyback, Feat Retraining, and Magical Locations arent expressly banned as of yet.

Atm, my idea is a Silverbrow Human Sorc/Wiz/Ultimate Magus that uses stuff like Arcane Thesis and very cheap MM effects to power up as many low end spells like the various Orbs and Scorching Rays as possible, then at higher levels, use Arcane Fusion and Celerity to start getting into the real shennanigans of the Sorcerer. However, I dont know if the "Mailman" truely works without Incantatrix, which is why I'm here.

So, can anyone put forth an easy to follow leveling path from 1-20 for a decent Mailman build under these conditions?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-01-17, 02:50 AM
You're starting at 3rd level, Mailman doesn't really come online until you're 10th+, that's not exactly something you can viably do at your current or near-future levels. My recommendation is to use a reserve feat like Fiery Burst to deal damage sustainably for now, and use your spells for things that will actually help your party win fights at this level, like crowd controls.

Start out Wizard 3, and you can take Fiery Burst as your 3rd level feat. Use this variant (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard) from UA to trade Scribe Scroll for Improved Initiative. Pick up one level of Sorcerer (or Beguiler) and one level of Spellthief, and take Master Spellthief at 6th level. This will inflate your caster level and thus your damage for both spellcasting classes, and allows you to apply your UM spellcasting advancements at the levels that only apply to one class to whichever one you want, since both will have the same caster level.

An alternative that's immediately usable would be to go Cleric, take Heighten Spell and DMM: Heighten at 1st, and Fiery Burst at 3rd level. You'll need to pick a domain that gives you a 1st or 2nd level domain spell with the fire descriptor, Sun or Fire would work. The idea is that at any given time, you can cast your 1st or 2nd level fire spell with DMM: Heighten to make it 9th level, thus Fiery Burst always deals 9d6 damage regardless of your character's level. You'll need at least seven turn attempts per day, a Reliquary Holy Symbol in MIC gives you two for only 1,000 gp, so you'll just need Cha 14 to accomplish it. Take the Rebuke Dragons ACF which can still power divine feats, and dip Sacred Exorcist to get Turn Undead and double the number of turning attempts you can spend on divine feats. In the higher levels you can DMM: Persist several Holy Stars (with a Greater Rod of Maximize even) and switch them all to attack mode when needed.

Mongobear
2020-01-17, 03:03 AM
You're starting at 3rd level, Mailman doesn't really come online until you're 10th+, that's not exactly something you can viably do at your current or near-future levels. My recommendation is to use a reserve feat like Fiery Burst to deal damage sustainably for now, and use your spells for things that will actually help your party win fights at this level, like crowd controls.

I know Mailman doesnt come online until higher level, I want to play the character from low level into it naturally. Also, I didnt mention it in the OP since it wasnt related, but the DM banned DMM Persist because of shennanigans. I dont remember if it was all DMM, or just Persist, but I dont really want to go Cleric/Divine spells anyways.

Also, the build isnt really going to be a pure Mailman anyways, I cant use Incantatrix due to not being in Faerun, but I want a sort of "Welfare Mailman" which i define as just a med/high Op blaster Sorc, fit into my above conditions.