PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighter Subclass - Mariner (Need Help Designing!)

Emongnome777
2020-01-17, 10:44 AM
I'm playing in a Ghosts of Saltmarsh campaign and am a triton fighter (turning 2nd soon). My DM has allowed me to create a subclass for my fighter fitting for my character: Marine background, triton race. Here's the rest of the party:

Half-elf warlock (Lurker in the Deep)
Sea Elf monk (Open Hand)
Human rogue (Thief - healer feat)

Looking at the published subclasses, I wouldn't mind to model this one somewhat off of the Cavalier. I guess the Cavalier has a similar set-up with a situational benefit (while mounted) and I'm looking for something similar (while swimming). Some UA I think has subclasses that use a similar mechanic to the battlemaster, and something like that could work as well.

Design Goals:
-Balanced relative to the published subclasses; something mid-range. I believe the fighter chassis is solid, so subclasses should mostly complement that.
-Traits that balance offense and defense.
-Traits that are thematic to being underwater and being on a ship.
-Something that keys off of Charisma (even if it's uses per LR/SR).
-Possibly something that grants a touch of healing or temp hit points.
-My vision is something mostly martial in capabilities, but a touch of supernatural could be nice flavor (Lovecraftian may be a bit much).
-Doesn't overlap with the triton race and marine background.

For instance, for 3rd Level, using the Cavalier as a baseline, it'll be a skill / tool proficiency, benefit while underwater, plus a combat benefit.

Bonus Proficiency: Gain proficiency in vehicles (water) or navigator's tools (double proficiency bonus?)
Underwater Adept: Gain a swim speed equal to your swim speed. If you have a swim speed, gain the ability to dash as a bonus action, but only while swimming.
Combat: ????

7th, 10th, 15th, 18th... Kinda lost here.

Honestly, I'm having trouble coming up with some abilities for this one. I'm open to any suggestions, even as vague as what I've presented. Taking suggestions for a better name as well. I searched the DDB homebrew database and didn't find what I was looking for. Even pointing me to someone else's could help.

MrStabby
2020-01-19, 01:32 PM
Name: Corsair

Possible themes you could add (pick theme then work up details).

Storms. Adding a touch of lightning and thunder damage to attacks.

Wind. Air themed and weather control. Limited castings of tornado type spells, maelstrom, fly. Possibly using a use of indomitable or action surge as needed for balance.

Swinging from the rigging: acrobatics bonuses. Advantage when closing with an enemy from a higher elevation?

Blade proficiency. When using a one handed weapon and have a free hand gain a benefit. Maybe just allow some kind of bonus action or reaction to benefit from a free hand?

Navigation bonuses - add proficiency to any check to find a way, advantage when it comes to things like maze spells?

Mariner's curse: an X per rest ability to debuff an enemy in some way.

Some more ribbon like abilities: animal handling bonuses with aquatic creatures.

Some situational abilities: polymorph into a creature with a swim speed occasionally?

Would any of this float your boat?

Emongnome777
2020-01-19, 08:50 PM
Name: Corsair
Interesting idea on the name. Will consider it!

Possible themes you could add (pick theme then work up details).
A theme is nice, letting it be a tad scattered is ok to, so long as each ability fits the broader "theme".

Storms. Adding a touch of lightning and thunder damage to attacks.
Damage is always nice. Maybe add damage for a round [Cha bonus] times per SR/LR (per round if short rest, for 1 minute if long rest?). May be overpowered if the damage is too high. I thought resistance to lightning and thunder would be thematic, maybe 10th level?

Wind. Air themed and weather control. Limited castings of tornado type spells, maelstrom, fly. Possibly using a use of indomitable or action surge as needed for balance.
Warding Wind 1/LR as an action?

Swinging from the rigging: acrobatics bonuses. Advantage when closing with an enemy from a higher elevation?
I considered some situational bonus to acrobatics as well as athletics (climbing especially is good to have on a ship). Not sure the situation, though. Too op if permanent. As for the advantage part, I hadn't considered it, would need to work through the wording and see how it works.

Blade proficiency. When using a one handed weapon and have a free hand gain a benefit. Maybe just allow some kind of bonus action or reaction to benefit from a free hand?
This is very "corsair" themed, but unfortunately doesn't work with my particular fighter (heavy armor, greatsword). BA shove attempt for 5' after a successful attack 1/turn, your turn only?

Navigation bonuses - add proficiency to any check to find a way, advantage when it comes to things like maze spells?
I planned on letting them gain proficiency in navigator's tools at 3rd. Cannot get lost at sea maybe at a higher level?

Mariner's curse: an X per rest ability to debuff an enemy in some way.
A curse, now that's neat! Scurvy? LOL But seriously, on that, I considered making him immune to disease at a higher level.

Some more ribbon like abilities: animal handling bonuses with aquatic creatures.
Triton already has something similar, so I didn't plan on overlapping. But something that complements it would be nice.

Some situational abilities: polymorph into a creature with a swim speed occasionally?
Oooh, the polymorph is cool. 1/day, CR 1 or less? Or let it follow the advancement of a non-moon druid.

Would any of this float your boat?
I see what you did there? ;)
Thanks for the advice. Several here sound awesome.

Most ribbon-ish, which I'm actually fine with. A GWM fighter can hold their own in a fight without a subclass at all, so the combat abilities should be nice, but not the focus here. Might be too op, but a simple, always-on combat ability would be great if something balanced could be written in somehow. Bonus damage like the Brute UA, but make it thunder/lightning? May be too much.

sleepyhead
2020-01-19, 10:26 PM
I threw something together. Kinda road on the ghosty curse idea. Burrowed some ideas form the warlock.

Sea Ferriers Practices
When you choose this subclass at 3rd level you gain proficiency in vehicles (water) and navigator's tools. In addition you gain a swim speed equal to your walking speed. If you have a swim speed, gain the ability to dash as a bonus action, but only while swimming.

Movement of the Wind
At 3rd level, your experience of the ocean has taught you how to move like the wind over the ocean. After you target a creature with an attack action, hit or miss, you may move 5 ft without taking attacks of opportunity.

Dutchman’s Curse
You are able to use the strange magic of the ocean, starting at 7th level you may use your bonus action to curse an enemy within 30ft of yourself for one minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:
•Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
•Whenever you deal damage to your curse they take an additional amount of lightning or thunder damage equal to your Charisma Modifier.
•Your target takes a negative on attack rolls against you. This negative equals your Charisma Modifier.

You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Davy Jones’s Boon
Starting at level 10 your time on the oceans grant you additional bonus. Whenever you use your second wind feature you gain the additional benefits for a number of rounds equal to half your level.
• You can breathe underwater and gain a swimming speed equal to double your walking speed.
• You grow claws, fangs, spines, horns, or a different natural weapon of your choice. Your unarmed strikes deal 1d6 bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage, as appropriate to the natural weapon you chose, and you are proficient with your unarmed strikes. Finally, the natural weapon is magic and you have a +1 bonus to the attack and damage rolls you make using it.
• If you kill the target of your Dutchman’s Curse you gain temporary hit points equal to half of your fighter level + your Charisma Modifier.

Born to the Sea
Your time on the ocean has granted you great fortitude. Starting at level 15 you have resistance to lightning and thunder damage. In addition, you gain advantage on checks to avoid being knocked off a vehicle.

Davy Jones’s Locker
Starting at 18th level you gain the ability to send targets deep into the ocean as an action. When you hit a creature with an attack you can use this feature to instantly transport the target to the bottom of the ocean. The target gets removed for 1 minute, after it returns it takes 5d10 bludgeoning damage and it is stunned for 1 minute.

You regain the use of this feature after a long rest.

Emongnome777
2020-01-20, 08:07 PM
This is some great inspiration. The natural weapon attack is cool and the curse idea is very thematic. These jumped out at me especially.

I threw something together. Kinda road on the ghosty curse idea. Burrowed some ideas form the warlock.

Sea Ferriers Practices
When you choose this subclass at 3rd level you gain proficiency in vehicles (water) and navigator's tools. In addition you gain a swim speed equal to your walking speed. If you have a swim speed, gain the ability to dash as a bonus action, but only while swimming.

Movement of the Wind
At 3rd level, your experience of the ocean has taught you how to move like the wind over the ocean. After you target a creature with an attack action, hit or miss, you may move 5 ft without taking attacks of opportunity.
I like the added mobility, but seems like it needs a touch more for the "main" subclass feature (the other two are tool proficiency and a situational move bonus). Could this be swapped with the Dutchman's Curse at 7th and beefed a bit without making it too op? Maybe nerf the curse a touch to make it work.

Dutchman’s Curse
You are able to use the strange magic of the ocean, starting at 7th level you may use your bonus action to curse an enemy within 30ft of yourself for one minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:
•Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
•Whenever you deal damage to your curse they take an additional amount of lightning or thunder damage equal to your Charisma Modifier.
•Your target takes a negative on attack rolls against you. This negative equals your Charisma Modifier.

You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.
It's been done other places, but changing the last bullet to "attacks by the cursed enemy that don't target you are made at disadvantage" would add a bit of stickiness. I do love the fluff of a curse for a mariner / corsair.

Davy Jones’s Boon
Starting at level 10 your time on the oceans grant you additional bonus. Whenever you use your second wind feature you gain the additional benefits for a number of rounds equal to half your level.
• You can breathe underwater and gain a swimming speed equal to double your walking speed.
• You grow claws, fangs, spines, horns, or a different natural weapon of your choice. Your unarmed strikes deal 1d6 bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage, as appropriate to the natural weapon you chose, and you are proficient with your unarmed strikes. Finally, the natural weapon is magic and you have a +1 bonus to the attack and damage rolls you make using it.
• If you kill the target of your Dutchman’s Curse you gain temporary hit points equal to half of your fighter level + your Charisma Modifier.
Very fun stuff here, hard to argue with any of it.

Born to the Sea
Your time on the ocean has granted you great fortitude. Starting at level 15 you have resistance to lightning and thunder damage. In addition, you gain advantage on checks to avoid being knocked off a vehicle.
Could we add immunity to disease (disease is common on ships out at sea for a long time)? As for the other part, a more broadly-useful ability to add to it is advantage on saves to avoid being knocked prone (any situation). Call it "sea legs".

Davy Jones’s Locker
Starting at 18th level you gain the ability to send targets deep into the ocean as an action. When you hit a creature with an attack you can use this feature to instantly transport the target to the bottom of the ocean. The target gets removed for 1 minute, after it returns it takes 5d10 bludgeoning damage and it is stunned for 1 minute.

You regain the use of this feature after a long rest.
May need a saving throw, still is powerful (but at 18th, I guess it should be). Seems like it should be balanced somehow, just not sure. The 1 minute stun effect is pretty op, maybe new save every round?

Thanks for the response. I already have way more than I had when I first posted. I will work with my DM and see what I can come back with in the next day or two.

sleepyhead
2020-01-20, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the response. I already have way more than I had when I first posted. I will work with my DM and see what I can come back with in the next day or two.

Let me know what you come up with, would like to see what kind of changes y'all make to it.

Emongnome777
2020-02-22, 01:01 PM
With the forums down, I got tired of waiting and I couldn't remember that well what was suggested. Here's what I came up with. My DM approves, but feedback to make it the best I can is always appreciated, including how I worded things. It's just for me, but I still prefer it be written to minimize ambiguity and rules confusion.

MARINER
The archetypal mariner excels at combat above the waves as well as under them. A mariner is at home sailing across the seas and oceans. Most have served aboard various ships, either in the employ of a powerful merchant guild, naval armada or even a wealthy patron who owns a fleet of ships. Famous mariners are equal parts feared and respected among all the sea-faring folks and known among the denizens who live below the depths.

Mariner Features

3rd: Bonus Proficiency, Born of the Sea, Sailor’s Gambit
7th: Corsair’s Footwork
10th: Aspect of the Storm
15th: Captain’s Gallantry
18th: Storm Prodigy

Bonus Proficiency
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in Vehicles (Water). If you are already proficient in it, you gain proficiency in Navigator’s Tools. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any check you make that uses Vehicles (Water). You receive this benefit regardless of the skill proficiency you gain from this feature.

Born of the Sea
Starting at 3rd level, your mastery of the seas extends below the waves. You gain a swim speed equal to your speed. If you already have a swim speed, you instead gain the ability to dash as a bonus action on your turn while swimming.

Sailor’s Gambit
Starting at 3rd level, you can deceive your enemies into letting down their defenses. As a bonus action, you can perform a feint against one enemy within five feet. You have advantage on the next weapon attack roll against that enemy. You can do this a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier and regain all uses after a short rest.

Corsair’s Footwork
Starting at 7th level, you have mastered keeping steady on a ship as it’s tossed by the waves. You gain the following abilities. You have advantage on any saving throw made to keep from falling prone or against any effect that forces movement. This does not include teleportation, effects that send you to a different plane, or compelled movement, such as from a fear effect. Additionally, you can move five feet after you complete an attack action or opportunity attack. You do not provoke opportunity attacks when taking this move. This does not grant additional movement when used on your turn.

Aspect of the Storm
Starting at 10th level, you gain the supernatural ability to withstand and channel the most powerful tempests of the seas. You gain resistance to lightning and thunder damage. Also, when you hit using your sailor’s gambit, you deal an additional 1d6 lightning or thunder damage (your choice when you hit).

Captain’s Gallantry
Starting at 15th level, your actions inspire your allies, regardless of your rank or station of those who fight with you. When you use your action surge, up to three allies of your choice within 30 feet that can hear you regain hit points equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 0) plus half your fighter level. Additionally, your allies may use their reaction to move up to 15 feet without provoking attacks of opportunity.

Storm Prodigy
Starting at 18th level, your mastery of the seas is unequaled. You are immune to lightning and thunder damage, and when you hit using your sailor’s gambit, the additional damage is increased to 2d6 lightning or thunder damage (your choice when you hit).