PDA

View Full Version : Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

Kish
2020-01-17, 11:59 AM
Tarak leads the way through the streets of Barovia. It's only lightly foggy today, so you can see further than you could last night.

A gray, sagging edifice of stone and wood stands atop a slight rise, on the very roots of the great pillarstone of a huge castle. Light flickers through holes burned through the roof shingles, and the sound of hoarse chanting is audible within the church.

Beyond the church, stone slabs, mostly simple square markers in the earth, dot the manicured grass that grows at the foot of the great crag. The omnipresent mist encircles the cemetery but seems unwilling to penetrate its heart. Perhaps surprisingly, it doesn't appear any of the graves you can see from here have been disturbed.

Cavir
2020-01-17, 10:11 PM
Seeing the church Suga forgoes halfheartedly keeping to the shadows. He puts his keen nose to work taking in the surroundings while unconsciously rotating his shoulders to loosen them up. "Seems someone is alive." Suga heads to the church. If anyone else takes lead position that's up to them.

razorback
2020-01-18, 10:19 AM
"So it would seem. Best to keep on our toes for an ambush or trap, though. Should we fan out a bit or stick together. I don't want to scare anyone away by looking like an assault but I also don't want to get bunched up together."

Kish
2020-01-18, 11:28 AM
As Suga assumes the Hunter's Sense stance, he detects a distinct odor of decay. Unsurprisingly, it is apparent that not every body in the area is buried. The smell grows stronger as he approaches the church.

Cavir
2020-01-18, 01:35 PM
Suga sniffs the air again. "Hold up. Stinks of death in there."

Are there any ground level windows?

razorback
2020-01-18, 09:47 PM
Feagon, heeding his hulking friend, stops in his tracks as he scans the area, looking for hostiles.

Perception
[roll0]

Kish
2020-01-18, 10:01 PM
The church's stained-glass windows are higher up than you could reach easily, and you can't see through them.

Cavir
2020-01-18, 10:06 PM
"Stink and sound coming from the church. Listen at the door then decide." Suga quietly heads for the door.

RolandDeschain
2020-01-21, 11:39 PM
Tarak

Halting in his tracks, the hobgoblin begins looking around at the adjacent buildings seemingly searching for something with clear intent.

Pausing, he motions for Feagon and Suga to retreat away from the church and join him.

What is the relationship between the church and the castle? Is the church at the base of a rock formation and the castle at the top? Is the church is made of wood and stone both, and the wooden roof has holes in it correct?

Cavir
2020-01-22, 09:48 PM
Suga stops and turns back to Tarak. "What's up? They are busy chanting. Not going to hear us through that stone wall unless we make a lot of noise."

RolandDeschain
2020-01-22, 10:52 PM
Tarak

Running his hand through his orange, red hair, "Listen, I know you're probably itchin' for a fight big guy...but if that's some kind of &#-0 #@$(&% cult in there, I'm not!"

Looking to Celesta, Feagon, and Ashlyn, "Anybody have a length of chain? I say we take one quick peek, and if it's a bunch of zombies and some kind of undead summoning cult, we chain the doors and burn the place down. Yeah, yeah, burnin' down a church probably sounds bad, but I've already seen enough of the things to know I don't wanna fight a whole church full of 'em."

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/dc/94/b0/dc94b00936bccd49048a36b808727482.jpg

Cavir
2020-01-23, 06:33 AM
Suga half nods. "Chain's a good idea for that door. Probably not the only door though. Gotta see what's in there. Could be some priest trying to keep the place holy too. Graves not torn up." He looks back at the church. Was it mostly wood or was there too much stone to get a fire going?

His eyes scan across the other buildings in the area, looking for some hint of a building that would more likely have a length of chain or something else to keep the door stuck. A stable? Store? Blacksmith?

razorback
2020-01-23, 08:54 AM
These 503 time outs are killing me!

Feagon walks up on pats him Tarak on the shoulder as he speaks. "Yes, it has been a lot but best to take things with caution but without overzealousness." as he gives Ashlyn a small glance. "But, no chain. What, then, do we do?"

RolandDeschain
2020-01-23, 11:00 PM
Tarak

"I'm not talkin' about murdering a priest and bunch of innocents......well, hopefully, not......anyway. Can't you two flush out 'evil' with at a glance?"

With a second look to Suga, "I'm gonna duck around the corner and see if there are any other exits."

I think party has a couple of different lengths of rope if there are no chains to found near by.

Kish
2020-01-23, 11:57 PM
The castle is sufficiently far above the church that you would need to fly to reach it without leaving the churchyard. The sound from inside the church is an oddly repetitive chant; you can't make out any actual words from here. From the stained glass windows, you think this place is, or at least was originally, consecrated to Pelor. Fire would do quite a bit of damage to the church, but you don't think it would actually fall; even if a powerful mage disintegrated the entire church, it wouldn't affect the castle. It's also worth noting that the whole area is pretty damp due to the omnipresent fog. No other buildings are anywhere near the churchyard. You don't remember seeing anywhere else that looked like a place of business of any sort between here and the town square.
"Wait, wait," Ashlyn says. "You can't burn the church without knowing who's inside it!"

Cavir
2020-01-24, 03:22 PM
"The burning is if it is full of undead. Going to look first." Suga looks upward. "Smoke may alert those in the castle. Better to fight them at the door so they can't surround us?"

Cavir
2020-01-26, 09:20 AM
As Tarak scouts around, Suga quietly moves closer to the main door. He listens to the chant and takes in what scents he can. His head tilts briefly then he moves back to the group, signaling Tarak to come back.

"Smell of death in there, but something alive too. Maybe some priest working his throat dry praying? Maybe one of Ashlyn's friends? Either way we need to take a look. Let's go."

Can update with results from Kish.

Kish
2020-02-26, 10:20 PM
Tarak doesn't find any other exits. It appears that the only way into the church, short of flying and smashing through the windows, is the front door.

Suga thinks he is hearing only one voice, male.

Cavir
2020-02-27, 07:34 PM
Suga pantomimes only one voice inside the church then heads to the door. As the others gather he quietly opens the door.

RolandDeschain
2020-02-29, 10:35 PM
Tarak

Pushing past Ashlyn, "Excuse me your holiness."

Nodding at Suga, "I suppose there's nothing else to do but see what we're up against...."

razorback
2020-03-01, 10:28 AM
Nodding from Suga's comment, Feagon circles to his left around the door, keeping his eyes open for other trouble as he keeps his bow trained on the entrance.
He smirks as Tarak's comment to Ashlyn but holds his tongue as he moves forward slightly.

Kish
2020-03-01, 09:06 PM
The church interior is a shambles, with overturned and broken benches littering the dusty floor. A claw-scarred altar broods at the north end of the church, directly north of a gaping hole in the rotten floorboards. A hoarse voice coming from that same direction chants the phrases of a nonsense prayer.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AkgQEqvX_aItypcxP3PUNAxQzvEs_JX-nTbURnaK9ME/edit?usp=sharing).

RolandDeschain
2020-03-02, 07:54 PM
Tarak

Sighing heavily, the hobgoblin's chin drops to rest on his chest as he slowly shakes his head back and forth. Turning to both the cleric and the paladin, "I wish I were wrong. I wish we would have opened these doors to find the good village priest shepherding his flock, keeping them safe, and offering them refuge.....I wish I were wrong."

Then placing his finger to his lips and motioning for them to stay ready, the hobgoblin ducks in the doorway and moves stealthily to doors just inside the church.

Move to G10 stealth [roll0]; Perception [roll1]

razorback
2020-03-03, 02:30 PM
As Tarak disappears before his eyes, Feagon keeps a bead on the entrance, ready to fire at any threats to his friend.

Cavir
2020-03-03, 05:16 PM
After Tarak moves past, Suga steps just inside to get a better scent from the interior of the church while keeping watch over the hobgoblin's scouting.

Kish
2020-03-13, 11:56 AM
As Suga steps inside, Celesta does as well. Then the door ahead of you and to the right swings open. A creature that resembles a skeleton, but with glowing red eyes, emerges and gestures toward you as if throwing something. A tremendous boom that seems to come from right outside the church rocks you.

Suga, Celesta, Ashlyn, and Feagon take [roll0] sonic damage and need to make a DC 14 Fortitude save or be stunned.

Ashlyn Fortitude save: [roll1]
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AkgQEqvX_aItypcxP3PUNAxQzvEs_JX-nTbURnaK9ME/edit?usp=sharing) is updated. Celesta and Feagon are up if either of them is sufficiently unstunned to act.

Cavir
2020-03-13, 12:01 PM
We're back!
FORT: [roll0]
53/65hp

razorback
2020-03-17, 09:23 AM
AC ~15; Current ~ 12
HP ~ 42; Current ~ 34

[roll0]

Effects ~
Point blank shot
Sickened - The character takes a -2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.
Stunned - A stunned creature drops everything held, can’t take actions, takes a -2 penalty to AC, and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any).

Cavir
2020-03-17, 10:16 AM
Celesta

Celesta is hit by the sonic boom but isn't phased. "BASTARD!!!" She rages and charges with her dwarven waraxe wielded in both hands.

Char sheet isn't updated for level 6. Not sure of hit points after healing and resting from the previous day, nor if she is sickened (if so apply -2 as needed).
Normal HP I think should be: 12 (1st level) + 35 (L2-6 @7 each) + 24 (18 CON @L6) + 6 (favored class) = 77

Rage: STR 20, CON 22, -2 AC, max 89hp, immune to cold, +50% vulnerable to fire, 9 rounds

Swift to enter Punishing Stance (+1d6 damage, -2 AC). AC is 13.
Rage and charge to H9.

Attack: [roll0] (Bab 6, +1 weapon, +5 STR, +2 charge, -3 PA)
damage: [roll1] (+1 weapon, +7 STR, +6 PA) + [roll2] (Punishing Stance)

Kish
2020-03-17, 03:57 PM
Celesta smashes the undead creature, and the light in its eyes fades. Then a wild-haired man pops up from behind the altar. He screams, "You can't take my son from me!" and launches a spell from a crumbling scroll he clutches in one filthy hand.

Ashlyn, Celesta, Feagon, and Suga take [roll0] damage, Will save DC 19 for half. Celesta is already sickened and thus gets -2 to her save.
Ashlyn's Will save: [roll1]

Tarak, still invisible, is up.

Cavir
2020-03-17, 05:40 PM
DC19 from a scroll? Ouch.

Suga: Moment of Perfect Mind [roll0] (no auto fail on a 1)
Celesta [roll1] (Base +2, WIS -2, Rage +2, Sickened -2 = 0) EDIT: Nat1, another ouch

Suga Spellcraft [roll2] to try to ID the scroll spell
Mage Slayer coming through! (which surprisingly is effective vs any spellcaster not just mages)

RolandDeschain
2020-03-18, 04:38 PM
Tarak

Taken aback by the sudden appearance of the undead abomination, Celesta's response and the crazed cleric's spell assault, Tarak stands stock still for a moment gathering his wits. He must not have seen me....

With a thought he disappears, then draws his longbow as he moves stealthily around the corner, draws a bead on the priest and fires.

immediate action invisibility (not as spell, he'll remain invisible until it's his turn again)
move to E6
attack against flat-footed AC with mw longbow [roll0] includes +2 from invisibility and +2 from knowledge devotion; damage [roll1]+[roll2] sneak attack

Kish
2020-03-24, 02:53 PM
Tarak's shot bounces off the man's filthy robe with a metallic clang that suggests armor under them. The door to Celesta's east opens and out shambles a decayed figure, who immediately attempts to claw her.

Z2 attacks Celesta: [roll0] Critical threat check: [roll1] Damage: [roll2] Critical damage: [roll3]

Tarak doesn't see anything I didn't already describe. Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AkgQEqvX_aItypcxP3PUNAxQzvEs_JX-nTbURnaK9ME/edit?usp=sharing) is updated. Suga is up.

Cavir
2020-03-26, 07:57 PM
"Nice hit Celesta, watch your back!" Suga attacks the newest undead and then darts to get up and personal with the man at the altar.

Attack the zombie then rush to G4 even it it means taking an AoO. I have Mage Slayer now so no casting defensively for him.

Dire axe: [roll0] (+2 bane)
damage: [roll1] + [roll2] Bane

Side note: I have no idea on Celesta's hp at this point but should still have plenty.

Kish
2020-03-31, 03:15 AM
Suga slices the zombie in half, but, as you're getting used to, both halves remain active. Then he bounds over the hole in the floor, the zombie swinging at his back, and lands before the altar, menacing the man in filthy robes.

Ashlyn runs forward and slashes at the zombie. Then the two western doors open and more zombies emerge, attacking Celesta and Ashlyn.

Z3 attacks Suga, attack of opportunity: [roll0] Critical threat check: [roll1] Damage: [roll2] Critical damage: [roll3]
Ashlyn attacks Z3: [roll4] Damage: [roll5]
Z1 attacks Celesta: [roll6] Critical threat check: [roll7] Damage: [roll8] Critical damage: [roll9]
Z2 attacks Ashlyn: [roll10] Critical threat check: [roll11] Damage: [roll12] Critical damage: [roll13]

>> Celesta 20
>> Feagon 17
D 11
Tarak 9
Z3 9
Suga 8
Ashlyn 6
Z1 4
Z2 3

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AkgQEqvX_aItypcxP3PUNAxQzvEs_JX-nTbURnaK9ME/edit?usp=sharing) is updated. Celesta and Feagon are up.

razorback
2020-03-31, 10:15 AM
The elf grunts at the assault as he steadies himself and tries to take aim. Seeing the macabre antics of the half zombies about, he moves forward as he pulls out his holy symbol. "Begone, foul creatures!"

AC ~15; Current ~ 12
HP ~ 42; Current ~ 17

Move to H-12

[roll0] Turn undead

Effects ~
Point blank shot
Sickened - The character takes a -2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.
Stunned - A stunned creature drops everything held, can’t take actions, takes a -2 penalty to AC, and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any).

CWater
2020-04-02, 09:11 PM
"RAAAGH!!!", Celesta roars and swings her dwarven axe at the zombie that just attacked her.

Hi, so I have no idea what the situation is, other than that we're fighting. But I was poked that this was going on, so thought that I might as well post. Trying to get back to participating.

Celesta will Rage, if she already isn't, and attack Z1.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Kish
2020-04-06, 01:45 AM
The man in filthy robes glares angrily at Suga, then jumps over the altar and into the hole in front of it.

D provokes an attack of opportunity from Suga. Then Tarak is up.

Cavir
2020-04-06, 08:43 AM
"Oh no you don't." Suga grabs the man to prevent his escape.

AoO: Grapple attempt
Hmm.. An AoO creating an AoO?

Touch attack: [roll0]
Grapple check: [roll1]
nonlethal damage: [roll2]

Kish
2020-04-12, 12:10 AM
Suga grabs the man, who, suspended in the air above the hole in the floor, glares angrily at him and snaps out the word, "Drop!"

Suga needs to make a Will save. For the moment, the zombies are still active; Celesta damaged hers but didn't make it stop. Feagon's channel was not prevented from working. Tarak is up.

Cavir
2020-04-12, 08:03 AM
Oops, should have recovered maneuvers last turn.
Will: [roll0]
If failed: drop him, axe and heavy shield?

RolandDeschain
2020-04-12, 09:57 PM
Tarak

Seeing Suga grab the crazed priest, Tarak steps forward and slashes at the man's back twice.

Five foot step, flurry of blows vs grappled creature(denied dex)
Attack 1: [roll0]; damage [roll1]
Attack 2: [roll2]; damage [roll3]

Kish
2020-04-14, 04:34 AM
Tarak's first slash slices into the man's filthy robe and glances off the heavy armor underneath. His second finds exposed flesh. Then Suga, to all appearances deliberately, opens his hands, letting the man fall into the hole before the altar as Suga's axe and shield clatter to the floor. Ashlyn raises her holy symbol and shouts, "Pelor!" as sunlight fills the church. The zombie mutilated by Suga and Celesta burns to ash. One of the others attacks Celesta again.

Ashlyn turning damage: [roll0]
Will saves:

Z1: [roll1]
Z2: [roll2]
Z3: [roll3]
Z1 attacks Celesta: [roll4] Critical threat check: [roll5] Damage: [roll6] Critical damage: [roll7]

>> Celesta 20
>> Feagon 17
D 11
Tarak 9
Z3 9
Suga 8
Ashlyn 6
Z1 4

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AkgQEqvX_aItypcxP3PUNAxQzvEs_JX-nTbURnaK9ME/edit?usp=sharing) is updated. Before Ashlyn Turns Undead, Suga can perform a move action that doesn't involve picking up his axe or shield if he wants. Celesta and Feagon are definitely up either way.

razorback
2020-04-14, 11:22 AM
Feagon looks concerned about the creatures still standing as he takes an unsteady step forward while taking aim at the undead and lets an arrow fly.

AC ~15; Current ~ 12
HP ~ 42; Current ~ 17

5 foot step to H-13

Standard Action- Shoot at Z1
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

Crit 20/x3
[roll2]
[roll3]

Effects ~
Point blank shot

Cavir
2020-04-20, 07:09 PM
Suga looks down the hole to see where the man escaped to, frustrated with himself in letting him go.

Kish
2020-04-21, 06:27 PM
Your darkvision sees a dank cellar, not a mere hole in the floor. From this limited field of vision you can see nothing but a patch of floor, but you catch a glimpse of the robed and armored man stumbling away to the northwest.

Cavir
2020-04-22, 05:50 PM
Celesta

Still raging the female barbarian unleashes her fury on the zombies to her right and left.

Full attack
Attack Z1: [roll0] (Bab 6, +1 weapon, +5 STR)
damage: [roll1] (+1 weapon, +7 STR) + [roll2] (Punishing Stance)

Attack Z3: [roll3] (Bab 6, +1 weapon, +5 STR, -5 Iterative)
damage: [roll4] (+1 weapon, +7 STR) + [roll5] (Punishing Stance)

Kish
2020-04-24, 04:54 PM
Celesta cuts the arms off one of the zombies and cleanly misses the other.

>>Tarak 9
Z3 9
Suga 8
Ashlyn 6
Z1 4
Celesta 20
Feagon 17
D 11

What D does this time, you cannot see. Tarak is up.

RolandDeschain
2020-04-24, 07:46 PM
Tarak

After scoring a wound on the crazed priest, the hobgoblin looks on in stunned silence as his big friend drops their enemy into the hole. As the priest scurries off into the darkness, he studies the blank expression on Suga's face, then recalls the priest's demand that he be dropped. "Crap!"

Turning back to the doorway, "Nothing for it now, big guy. Let's finish these walking damned off!"

He moves quickly toward the zombie harrying Celesta, then spins and slashes at the zombies legs.

Check in the OOC 27
attack [roll0] vs flat-footed AC assuming 27 surpasses target's AC; damage [roll1]

Kish
2020-04-27, 03:53 AM
Tarak reduces the zombie to small pieces. The remaining zombie swings mindlessly at Ashlyn.

Z3 attacks Ashlyn: [roll0] Critical threat check: [roll1] Damage: [roll2] Critical damage: [roll3]

Technically Suga is up next, but to save time, I'll roll Ashlyn's attack now:

Ashlyn attacks Z3: [roll4] Damage: [roll5]

If Z3 is still active, Suga, Celesta, Feagon, and Tarak are up. Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AkgQEqvX_aItypcxP3PUNAxQzvEs_JX-nTbURnaK9ME/edit?usp=sharing) is updated.

razorback
2020-04-29, 04:44 PM
Feagon, taking aim at the creature on Ashlyn but with care not to hit her by accident.

AC ~15; Current ~ 12
HP ~ 42; Current ~ 17

Standard Action- Shoot at Z3
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

Crit 20/x3
[roll2]
[roll3]

Effects ~
Point blank shot

Cavir
2020-04-29, 05:01 PM
Suga drops to a knee just long enough to pick up and ready his gear. "Hurry up and finish that one. We need to follow him before he gets too far!"

Pick up / ready axe and shield. Don't think I can squeeze resetting my maneuvers too.

RolandDeschain
2020-04-29, 09:44 PM
Celesta

As Tarak drops the zombie between the two of them, the barbarian turns on her heal and swings viciously at the remaining zombie.

Full attack
Attack Z3: [roll0] (BAB 6, +1 weapon, +5 STR)
damage: [roll1] + [roll2] (Punishing Stance)

Attack Z3: [roll3] (BAB 1, +1 weapon, +5 STR)
damage: [roll4] + [roll5] (Punishing Stance)

RolandDeschain
2020-05-01, 07:18 PM
Tarak

"Hold your horses big guy."

Tarak does a quick scan of the chapel searching for oil or holy water.

Kish
2020-05-02, 03:06 AM
Feagon's arrow, blunted as its effect is, would likely have been enough for the nearly shredded zombie; Celesta ensures there is nothing dangerous left of it.

For the moment, you appear to be alone in the church--or at least on the church's upper floor.

900 XP each.

razorback
2020-05-03, 05:08 PM
"How hurt is everyone?" the priest of Ehlonna asks, though he is quite hurt himself.

Cavir
2020-05-03, 09:39 PM
Suga continues to watch down the hole. "Just a few scratches here, ready and itching to go. Need you to be healthy though. Come this way and I'll pitch in."

Redo maneuvers. How far down is it to the basement?
53/65hp

RolandDeschain
2020-05-08, 12:20 PM
Tarak

"I'm fine. Tend to yourself and the others if need be."

The hobgoblin begins overturning pews and pulling books off of shelves as his frustration grows, "No holy water or oil anywhere? What kind of infernal church is this????!"

Literally ransacking the place at this point

razorback
2020-05-09, 12:39 AM
With a shrug, Feagon points "Do we follow? I am no dwarf and don't seek to scurry down any holes."

AC ~15; Current ~ 12
HP ~ 42; Current ~ 18

Casts lesser Vigor on himself.
1/15

Effects ~
Point blank shot

Cavir
2020-05-09, 09:43 AM
"I'm no dwarf, but Celesta and I have dwarven axes itching for more. Come on. Before he can heal up and prepare for us." Suga readies to lower people into the hole so they don't have so far to fall.

Celesta, frustrated with the lack of enemies, leans against the wall calming herself and catches her breath.

Kish
2020-05-09, 05:59 PM
It looks like a straight drop of about twenty feet to the lower floor.

Cavir
2020-05-12, 11:26 AM
Suga gets his grappling hook with rope out of his pack. He secures the grappling hook end around the altar, checks for stability (will the altar hold his weight or at least the weight of the others?), and drops the other end into the hole. "Come on." He quickly slide down the rope then readies his axe while waiting on the others.

If the altar won't hold him he'll leave it for the others, use the edge of the hole to lower himself (he's 6'10 plus arm reach), then drop in.
Jump DC 15 [roll0]

razorback
2020-05-12, 06:04 PM
Shaking his head as he's stowing his bow, Feagon considers for a blink of an eye about asking Suga to catch him before crushing the thought. With a deep sigh, he emulates Suga, hanging down as far as possible before letting himself drop, trying to ease his fall as best he can.

Fall Jump check
[roll0]

RolandDeschain
2020-05-16, 10:41 AM
Tarak

"Celesta, Ashlyn....after you."

Cavir
2020-05-16, 01:34 PM
Celesta slides down the rope and keeps alert expecting unfriendly company. "Someone have a light?"

razorback
2020-05-17, 04:06 PM
Feagon, pulling out his candle the lights up like a torch, "I got it. Keep close." he say as he secures the candle to his shoulder before pulling out his bow and setting an arrow in place.

AC ~15; Current ~ 12
HP ~ 42; Current ~ 20

Lesser Vigor on himself.
3/15

Pull out Everburning candle.

Effects ~
Point blank shot

Kish
2020-05-19, 06:13 AM
The altar does indeed seem solidly rooted. "I can't help but feel that we're missing something," Ashlyn says, but she slides down right behind Celesta. Amid the litter of the collapsed floorboards directly below the hole in the floor is a dank understory. A partially smashed laboratory workbench stands in the northwest portion of the cellar, including an iron slab surrounded by a clutter of broken equipment of incomprehensible complexity. Something awful groans to the south and shambles forward. Suga's darkvision picks up a creature that resembles a particularly intact zombie, until it opens its mouth, revealing sharp, jagged teeth, and runs forward.

You make out two more zombies past the strange undead creature to the south, and a skeleton to the east. Ashlyn makes a soft, despairing noise. "Those are--were my friends," she says.

The priest is directly south of you, just finishing with a scroll that causes some of his wounds to close. The strange undead creature skids around him in an oddly fluid way.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AkgQEqvX_aItypcxP3PUNAxQzvEs_JX-nTbURnaK9ME/edit#gid=0) is updated. Doru is the unfamiliar undead creature; Danovich is the priest.

[roll0]
>> Tarak 9
>> Suga 8
>> Ashlyn 6
>> Celesta 20
>> Feagon 17
Doru 15
S1 14
Z1 13
Z2 13
Danovich 11

You are all up.

Cavir
2020-05-19, 08:55 AM
"We can go back up there to look after. For now, focus." Suga zips around to surround the weird zombie while also getting personal with the evil priest. He has his dire axe get even more personal with the two enemy, swinging at each.

Move around to S8 avoiding AoOs.
Steel Wind with Axe:
Doru: [roll0] (+5 STR, +6 BAB, +1 weapon, +2 Bane, +2 Flank)

Danovich: [roll3] crit: (on 19+): [roll4]
damage: [roll5] crit: [roll6]

I do have Wall of Blades available. Celesta has flanking with me.

RolandDeschain
2020-05-19, 09:32 AM
Tarak

As the others descend into the hole in the floor, Tarak drifts toward the strange altar and does a quick search.

check [roll0]

razorback
2020-05-19, 09:44 PM
"Muk Tul!" the elf spouts out in elvish as he steps forward and touches Celesta on the shoulder, whispering a prayer to Ehlonna for her.

Feagon
AC ~15; Current ~ 15
HP ~ 42; Current ~ 21

Lesser Vigor on himself.
4/15

Never enough action
Cast Bull's Strength on Celesta. +4 to strength for 5 minutes.

Effects ~
Point blank shot

Cavir
2020-05-20, 06:52 AM
Celesta

Empowered by Feagon's spell, the barbarian rages taking her beyond superhuman levels of strength. She focuses her power through the dire axe into the toothy agile zombie.

Rage. Full attack. If the zombie drops 5' move to U7.
Dire axe: [roll0] (+7 str, +6 bab, +1 weapon, +2 flank, -5 power)
damage: [roll1] (+10 2H str, +1 weapon, +10 power) + [roll2] Stance

Dire axe: [roll3] (+7 str, +6 bab, +1 weapon, +2 flank, -5 power)
damage: [roll4] (+10 2H str, +1 weapon, +10 power) + [roll5] Stance

That's some serious damage if they hit!

Kish
2020-06-02, 06:20 PM
Suga's axe slices into the creature, who snarls. The axe bounces off the priest's armor. Feagon casts a spell on Celesta. Ashlyn watches the undead in the corners of the room, holding her holy symbol. Celesta cuts into the creature twice, but it seems far less significantly wounded than she would have expected. Raising arms the length of its body over its head, it lunges to bite her.

Danovich steps back and casts a spell on Doru. The zombies and the skeleton move to attack, and Ashlyn raises her holy symbol to unleash holy energy.

Tarak finds a hollow in the altar. It holds a gold chalice, two silver bells, a much-stained leather-bound book, and three flasks of liquid.

Doru attacks Celesta: [roll0] Critical threat check: [roll1] Damage: [roll2] Critical damage: [roll3] If it hits, Celesta is dazed and misses her next turn.
Z1 attacks Suga: [roll4] Critical threat check: [roll5] Damage: [roll6] Critical damage: [roll7]
Z2 attacks Suga: [roll8] Critical threat check: [roll9] Damage: [roll10] Critical damage: [roll11]
S1 attacks Celesta: [roll12] Critical threat check: [roll13] Damage: [roll14] Critical damage: [roll15]
Danovich casts Inflict Serious Wounds on Doru: [roll16] healing
Ashlyn Turn Undead: [roll17] Doru Will save: [roll18] Z1 Will save: [roll19] Z2 Will save: [roll20] S1 Will save: [roll21]

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AkgQEqvX_aItypcxP3PUNAxQzvEs_JX-nTbURnaK9ME/edit?usp=sharing) updated. You're all up.

razorback
2020-06-02, 06:55 PM
As he finishes off his spell, the elf quick steps over to the towering orc and whispers a prayer to Ehlonna, hoping she will honor her request.

Feagon
AC ~15; Current ~ 15
HP ~ 42; Current ~ 22

Lesser Vigor on himself.
5/15

Cast Blur on Suga

Effects ~
Point blank shot

Cavir
2020-06-02, 08:51 PM
Celesta keeps her raging focus on the unusual zombie, striking twice again.

Suga lets out a low growl as the undead creature is healed. "Thanks Feagon. Next time Celesta needs it more." He mirrors Celesta's full attack on the bizarre zombie.

Doru's attack on Celesta on was Nat1. All other attacks missed too.

Celesta full attack Doru
Dire axe: (+7 str, +6 bab, +1 weapon, +2 flank, -5 power)

damage: [roll4] (+10 2H str, +1 weapon, +10 power) +[ roll]1d6 Stance

Suga full attack Doru
Dire axe: [roll5] (+5 STR, +6 BAB, +1 weapon, +2 Bane, +2 Flank)
damage: [roll6] + [roll7] Bane

Dire axe: [roll8] (+5 STR, +6 BAB, +1 weapon, +2 Bane, +2 Flank)
damage: [roll9] + [roll10] Bane

If Doru drops Suga 5' step to T9

RolandDeschain
2020-06-03, 07:26 PM
Tarak

After mentally cataloging the items in the alter, the hobgoblin disappears and circles around the hole in the floor coming to a stop behind and above the crazed priest as he draws his bow.

Targeting the back of the deranged man's neck, he looses his arrow.

Really not sure Tarak can circle behind him, but he has darkvision and if it's twenty feet down, plenty of room to provide for a shot on Danovich.

Attack: [roll0]; Damage [roll1] + [roll2] sneak attack +4 if target denied their dex

*attack includes +2 for invisible, +2 for knowledge devotion, and +1 for higher ground(is that a thing? I feel like that's a thing)

Kish
2020-06-07, 07:45 PM
Despite its extensive wounds, the strange undead does not falter. Celesta's axe bounces off its hide. Tarak fires an arrow from above that strikes the priest, but he casts another spell on Doru. The zombies attack Suga again; Doru stays focused on Celesta, as does the skeleton. Ashlyn calls on Pelor's aid once again, her voice faltering.

Tarak can only see the priest from above to the northwest, in front of him. There is a +1 high ground bonus to melee attacks but not to ranged, so Tarak's roll is 21.

Doru attacks Celesta: [roll0] Critical threat check: [roll1] Damage: [roll2] Critical damage: [roll]1d8+13[roll] If it hits, Celesta is dazed and misses her next turn.
Z1 attacks Suga: [roll3] Critical threat check: [roll4] Damage: [roll5] Critical damage: [roll6]
Z2 attacks Suga: [roll7] Critical threat check: [roll8] Damage: [roll9] Critical damage: [roll10]
S1 attacks Celesta: [roll11] Critical threat check: [roll12] Damage: [roll13] Critical damage: [roll14]
Danovich casts Inflict Serious Wounds on Doru: [roll15] healing
Ashlyn Turn Undead: [roll16] Doru Will save: [roll17] Z1 Will save: [roll18] Z2 Will save: [roll19] S1 Will save: [roll20]

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AkgQEqvX_aItypcxP3PUNAxQzvEs_JX-nTbURnaK9ME/edit?usp=sharing) updated. All of you are up.

razorback
2020-06-08, 09:34 AM
Feagon, acknowledging Suga's comment with a "On it." deftly moving before as he chants again to Ehlonna and touches Celesta, giving her the blessing.

Feagon
AC ~15; Current ~ 15
HP ~ 42; Current ~ 23

Lesser Vigor on himself.
6/15

5 foot step to T-5

Cast Barkskin on Celesta

Effects ~
Point blank shot

Cavir
2020-06-08, 04:58 PM
Celesta is dazed by the strike, unable to attack in return.

Suga deflects the zombies claws with his own blade then steps closer to the unholy priest. He continues his attack on the enhanced zombie while he directs his voice to the leader of the undead. "Go ahead, try that again."

Wall of blades to block regular zombie hit.
5' step to T8 to flank with Ashlyn and threaten Danovich. Full attack on Doru.
Dire axe: [roll0]

Dire axe: [roll3]
damage: [roll4] + [roll5] Bane

RolandDeschain
2020-06-09, 09:28 AM
Tarak

The hobgoblin draws another arrow, attempts to disappear into the shadows before becoming visible again, then fires at the priest.

*wow, not sure if I'm reading the rules right, but moving into the shadows while invisible sounds like a +20 to stealth check, while sniping while "hidden" is a -20 to stealth(hide) check, can't find any mention of transitioning from "invisible" to "hidden".....I'm PERFECTLY okay with you ruling however you think best Kish
stealth [roll0]
attack [roll1] +2 if hidden
damage [roll2] + [roll3]+4 if hidden

Kish
2020-06-15, 10:38 PM
Tarak shoots the priest again. Suga cuts into Doru once, his axe bouncing off once. Ashlyn slices at Doru with her sword. The zombies and skeleton repeat their attacks, as does Doru with a low noise that sounds vaguely like a chuckle. Danovich, bleeding heavily and glaring at Suga, steps back, out of Tarak's line of sight, and orders Suga again, "Drop!"

Ashlyn attacks Doru: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
Doru attacks Celesta: [roll2] Critical threat check: [roll3] Damage: [roll4] Critical damage: [roll5] If it hits, Celesta is dazed and misses her next turn.
Z1 attacks Suga: [roll6] Critical threat check: [roll7] Damage: [roll8] Critical damage: [roll9]
Z2 attacks Suga: [roll10] Critical threat check: [roll11] Damage: [roll12] Critical damage: [roll13]
S1 attacks Celesta: [roll14] Critical threat check: [roll15] Damage: [roll16] Critical damage: [roll17]

Once again, Suga needs to make a DC 14 Will save or drop what he's carrying on his action. Suga, Celesta, Feagon, and Tarak are up; Tarak can no longer see the priest to shoot at him, nor can he target either zombie or the skeleton, but he can shoot at Doru if he chooses.

razorback
2020-06-15, 10:54 PM
Feagon, done doing everything he can to provide protection to his friends, holds his symbol to Ehlonna up from his chest as he yells out "Back to the grave with you all!

Feagon
AC ~15; Current ~ 15
HP ~ 42; Current ~ 24

Lesser Vigor on himself.
7/15

Turn Undead DC 14
[roll0]

Effects ~
Point blank shot

Cavir
2020-06-16, 01:41 AM
Blur vs zombie strike that would otherwise hit for 8 damage: [roll0] (miss on 1)

DC 14 Will save or drop what he's carrying on his action
Moment of Perfect Mind [roll1]

Z1 needs to move in order to reach me. Misses anyway.

EDIT: Double Fail
And just remembered Improved Uncanny Dodge: Can't be flanked

Cavir
2020-06-16, 01:57 AM
Suga is magically compelled to drop his axe and shield mid-fight. He keeps his focus on the unique zombie and smacks it with his spiked gauntlet.

Drop axe and shield, AC 21 now. 45/65hp. Insightful Strike.

Attack: [roll0] (flank)
damage: [roll1] (Concentration check as damage)

Celesta misses the round again.

EDIT: Triple fail this round :smallredface:

RolandDeschain
2020-06-16, 11:46 AM
Tarak

Seeing Celesta flagging and Suga disarmed, the hobgoblin leaps down the hole....absorbing some of the fall by rolling into it. Coming up next to Feagon and Celesta, he grasps the shard of amber in his pocket and makes and angry buzzing noise.

An enormous golden wasp materializes seemingly from nowhere to attack the retreating priest.

Move action - jump down, auto success on the Acrobatics check to take 10' less of falling damage; standard action - activate the Amber Amulet of Vermin

Giant Wasp: spaces V/W - 9/10
Attack on Danovich: [roll0]; damage [roll1] IF hits, fort save vs poison DC 14 for [roll2] DEX damage

Kish
2020-06-29, 10:58 PM
Doru chuckles drily in a weirdly deep voice as Suga drops his axe and shield and misses him. Tarak's wasp attempts to beat Danovich but is foiled by the priest's armor. Ashlyn grimly slashes at him again. Doru turns to sink his jagged black teeth into Suga. Danovich moves to grab Suga's axe and shield and retreat into a corner.

Ashlyn attacks Doru: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
Doru Will save: [roll2]
Z1 Will save: [roll3]
Z2 Will save: [roll4]
S1 Will save: [roll5]
Doru attacks Suga: [roll6] Critical threat check: [roll7] Damage: [roll8] Critical damage: [roll9] Automiss because of Blur on a 1: [roll10] If it hits, Suga is dazed and misses his next turn.
Z1 attacks Suga: [roll11] Critical threat check: [roll12] Damage: [roll13] Critical damage: [roll14]
Z2 attacks Suga: [roll15] Critical threat check: [roll16] Damage: [roll17] Critical damage: [roll18]
S1 attacks Celesta: [roll19] Critical threat check: [roll20] Damage: [roll21] Critical damage: [roll22]
Danovich provokes attacks of opportunity from the wasp and, if applicable, Suga.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AkgQEqvX_aItypcxP3PUNAxQzvEs_JX-nTbURnaK9ME/edit?usp=sharing) updated; Celesta, Feagon, Suga, and Tarak are up.

Cavir
2020-06-30, 04:18 PM
One of the zombies nearly gets in a small slash on Suga but Feagon's protective spell does its job. Danovich gets the jump on Suga for the dire axe. The orc focuses instead on the cleric, battering him away before he steals the axe.

Blur chance rolled in OOC (missed).

My AoO before the wasp's AoO.
Trying to pick up the axe grants me an AoO which I'll use for a grapple, which grants Danovich an AoO on me. With a successful grab I believe means he didn't get the axe.
One move action to pick up shield and axe? That's good info for me later if so.

1) Danovich AoO on me (if he has a weapon to threaten with?). If he attacks, Blur (miss on 1) [roll0]
2) Touch attack: [roll1]
3) Opposed grapple checks Suga: [roll2] vs his base of [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] non-lethal
4) I won't keep the grapple (thus not moving into his square and attracting AoOs from all the undead). Purpose was to keep him from getting my gear.

Maybe the wasp goes for a grapple too? (strength plus size...)

My actual turn depends on these results.

razorback
2020-06-30, 08:42 PM
Finally done doing what he can to helps his friends, Feagon spins as he aims at Danovich and fires.

Feagon
AC ~15; Current ~ 15
HP ~ 42; Current ~ 25

Lesser Vigor on himself.
8/15

Standard Action- Shoot at Danovich
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

Crit 20/x3
[roll2]
[roll3]

Effects ~
Point blank shot

RolandDeschain
2020-07-06, 10:39 AM
Tarak

Taking a quick step to the east, Tarak unleashes a flurry of punches and a kick at the skeleton harrying Celesta.

Swift Action Strength Devotion +2 damage(circumstance) plus slam attack/Knowledge Devotion +3 damage(insight)
Flurry #1: attack [roll0]; damage [roll]1d8+6[roll] bludgeoning (KD+SD)
Flurry #2: attack [roll1]; damage [roll]1d8+6[roll] bludgeoning (KD+SD)
Kick: attack [roll2]; damage [roll]1d8+6[roll] bludgeoning (KD+SD)

The giant wasp latches onto the crazed priest with all six legs and pins him to the ground, then moves atop him to improve his grip.

In uncharted waters here Kish, so here's what I think is happening:
Move into Danovich's space as a free action
Unarmed damage from AoO [roll3] nonlethal
Opposed grapple check to keep Danovich pinned and do nonlethal damage [roll4]
IF successful; unarmed damage [roll5] nonlethal

RolandDeschain
2020-07-08, 12:23 AM
Celesta

The raging barbarian launches a full attack against Doru.

I just copied and pasted this from her previous full attack written up by Cavir
Celesta full attack Doru
Dire axe: [roll0] (+7 str, +6 bab, +1 weapon, +2 flank, -5 power)

damage: [roll4] (+10 2H str, +1 weapon, +10 power) +[roll5] Stance

Cavir
2020-07-08, 11:53 AM
With the evil cleric busy with the wasp, Suga refocuses on smashing the undead.

Attack Doru with spiked gauntlet if it is still up after Celesta's beating.
If Doru is down, grab my axe (AoOs from zombies but Blur) and attack Z1

Swift+Std attack = regain maneuvers
Move: grab axe if Doru is down (before or after my attack)
Attack: [roll0] (add +3 if axe on Z1)
gauntlet damage: [roll1]
axe damage (2-handed): [roll2] + [roll3] Bane

Kish
2020-07-14, 05:13 PM
Celesta chops into Doru, who collapses and falls into pieces. The zombies collapse as well and the skeleton falls apart. Those who felt ill suddenly no longer do.

Pinned by the wasp, Danovich continues to struggle.

You're all up again.

Cavir
2020-07-14, 07:47 PM
"Nice hit." Suga picks up his axe and gives it to the unholy cleric, sharp end first.

Move: Pick up axe.
Swift: change to Stance of Clarity (+2 AC vs cleric, -2 AC to others)
Std: Insightful Strike (Conc check for damage)
Dire axe: [roll0] crit: (on 19+): [roll1]
damage: [roll2] crit: [roll3]

RolandDeschain
2020-07-14, 09:54 PM
Tarak

The blows he had landed on the skeleton were heavy, but the hobgoblin was surprised at its sudden collapse into an inert pile of bones....then the zombies all collapsed as well.

Seeing his wasp still struggling with the priest, he moves to Suga's side, "Should we try to subdue him....the rest of the threats seem to have died with that...that thing?" he motions toward the remains of the strange creature Celesta had just chopped down.

razorback
2020-07-14, 11:02 PM
Feagon, heeding Tarak's words. "Give up now, you bastard, while you still draw breath. Only warning." the elf calls out in a surprisingly steely voice as he draws but holds his shot. For the moment.

Feagon
AC ~15; Current ~ 15
HP ~ 42; Current ~ 26

Lesser Vigor on himself.
9/15

Ready action- Shoot at Danovich if he doesn't give up.
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

Crit 20/x3
[roll2]
[roll3]

Effects ~
Point blank shot = +1 to hit and damage within 30ft

Kish
2020-07-15, 04:22 PM
"What?!" the priest exclaims, still pinned by the wasp. "My son? No!" He starts to struggle harder, but is still pinned by the summoned wasp.

Cavir
2020-07-15, 09:41 PM
Suga glances at Tarak. "Fine." He drops the axe he just picked up and moves to secure Danovich.

Joining a grapple. Attack auto succeeds, no AoO. Just a grapple check. [roll0] Danovich is pinned so does he get to resist?
Damage: [roll1] nonlethal
Will maintain grapple looking to pin.

RolandDeschain
2020-07-17, 08:58 AM
Tarak

The hobgoblin's head jerks back in surprise, "Son? That....that was your 'son'?"

Once Suga has the cleric firmly in his grasp, Tarak moves to bind the captives hands, then with a reassuring pat and a low buzzing sound dismisses the summoned wasp.

Kish
2020-07-19, 02:27 AM
The man lets out a startling scream as he sees the slashed and inert body of the creature you fought. He continues to struggle as Tarak binds him, but makes no effective attacks against him.

Cavir
2020-07-19, 08:19 PM
"You want him unconscious to shut up? Then what?" Suga tightens his grip, cutting off the blood to the priest's brain until unconscious unless told otherwise.

RolandDeschain
2020-07-20, 08:39 AM
Tarak

Before the hobgoblin can answer, his large friend throws the priest in a headlock to silence him, so he merely shrugs half-heartedly.

Turning to the others, "Is everyone...'okay'?"

Bending over the fallen body of the strange creature the priest had identified as his son, Tarak studies it intently for a long moment, "Will someone get a blanket or something, so we can cover this body? "

Knowledge religion to identify what sort of undead thing the "son" had been turned into [roll0]

razorback
2020-07-20, 12:15 PM
"I'm fine. Who took any hurts?" he ef asks as he looks at his friends, offering the blessings of Ehlonna, before also turning his attention to the body.

How damaged is everyone?

KN:Religion
[roll0]

RolandDeschain
2020-07-21, 05:33 PM
Tarak

Turning to his friend, "I'm fine, Feagon. Tend to the others if need be."

After examining the strange creature, Tarak begins to search around the room for an additional clues as to what is going on. "There were some potions or oils and a book up in the alter, as well as some items of value. Didn't seem right to just take 'em, but the book might hold some clues if someone wants to shimmy up there and find out."

Take 20 about the area. Are there additional rooms?

Kish
2020-07-22, 03:14 AM
The room you're in seems to be a crudely hollowed out basement laboratory. It's the right size and approximate shape to be the entirety of the floor under the ground floor of the church. On the southeast side, a staircase leads up to a trapdoor in the ceiling.

"Take his unholy symbol," Ashlyn suggests, searching the priest herself and frowning when she turns up nothing that resembles a holy or unholy symbol.

1688 XP each. The priest's full plate armor, his heavy steel shield, and his morningstar are all masterwork or magic.

razorback
2020-07-22, 10:18 PM
Feagon sets his arrow back in his quiver and, once everyone is settled, looks at Ashlyn before turning back to the priest.
"Speak. What in the Nine Hells is going on here? What happened to your son and the other creature that were doing your bidding?" the elven priest growled through gritted teeth.

Kish
2020-07-25, 07:03 PM
The priest, unconscious from Suga's throttling, does not respond.

Cavir
2020-07-25, 08:30 PM
"You want him out or not?"

"Can't have him casting more spells." Suga rips some clothing from the fallen enemies and binds the priest's hands and mouth. He takes the extra step of mis-adjusting the straps on the priest's armor, to hinder him more in case of escape. With that done he checks out the priest's shield too. "Feagon, want the lighter mithral plate and I'll take the priest's? The morningstar looks nicer than the one you have. The shield will go nice with it too."

Figure on reducing his donning level (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#gettingIntoAndOutOfArmor) down for extra penalties while making him carry it for us while also hindering him.

Loot thoughts...
Suga's mithral plate to Feagon to keep encumbrance down
Priest's plate to Suga
Priest's morningstar and shield to Feagon. If Feagon doesn't want the shield, anyone else want it? If not, Suga can upgrade to it although he'll lose out on the shield spikes which is fine.

razorback
2020-07-26, 09:08 AM
"No, of course not... but we need answers." Feagon says, his frustration evident as he looks to the bodies. "Thank you. Yes, I'll borrow for now but I don't know how comfortable I'll be."
As he begins to remove his own armor, he says "Do we hold up here or continue on? My magic is nearly spent."

I guess the speed from Celerity hasn't come in handy. Hope making the switch doesn't effect things.
For now, he can take the morning star and shield. His bow hasn't been supper effective versus undead, so maybe this will help.

Cavir
2020-07-26, 04:00 PM
"Don't want to drag him everywhere we go. Bring him back to the inn for the locals to deal with him? We can finish checking the main floor first."

"Ashlyn, anything for your fallen friends?"

Suga takes the silk rope out of his pack and ties up the priest in such a way his hands can't be used for spells and can still walk, albeit with smaller steps. Rags are used to keep him from casting spells.

razorback
2020-07-26, 04:46 PM
"I don't know... if they are in enough fear of him, they might let him go. Might as well as bind his mouth and cover his eyes, just to be safe for now."

Cavir
2020-07-26, 07:32 PM
"Let the locals handle him or give him a quick death while still unconscious. What other options are there?"

"I wonder if all the undead are gone from town now."

razorback
2020-07-27, 09:08 AM
Feagon shrugs at Suga's comment in an irritated way, not able to find a better solution himself.
"My guess? No. The undead spread at every turn. Life a wild fire, every last ember needs to be tracked down and stamped out. Considering how strong those creatures in town were, there must be more in the countryside."

Cavir
2020-07-27, 01:42 PM
"Hunting more undead? Works for me. Just saying we need to do something with him. Dropping him off tells the locals there's hope too. Tarak, anything else of interest down here?" If not, Suga ensure his and Feagon's armor are on correctly and that no items are getting left behind. He puts the unconscious bound priest over his shoulder and takes the staircase back up to the main floor.

Upstairs, Suga puts the priest down up against a wall in the main area so he can be easily watched then checks the bindings and gag. He searches the fallen undead while the others can search the rest of the church.

RolandDeschain
2020-07-30, 09:18 AM
Tarak

While his comrades swap out armor, and discuss the priest's fate, the hobgoblin conducts a thorough search of the crude laboratory. After pocketing any items or concoctions of apparent value, he scrambles up to the upper floor to grab the vials, book, the chalice and bells. Stowing the items away in his backpack, he lingers over the heavily stained book....

After a moment's doubt and dread, he opens it, flips a couple of pages and starts to read the text....

Take 20 searching the "laboratory"
Languages: Common, Draconic, Goblin, Dwarven, Giant, and Orc
Knowledge Arcana: [roll0]

Kish
2020-08-03, 06:13 AM
Tarak finds nothing further searching the area. After the extent to which he psyched himself up before opening the book, it's anticlimactic when he realizes he's reading what appears to be a perfectly normal journal entry by a perfectly sane village priest, expressing his concern over the burgomaster's decision to keep from his daughter the fact that she's adopted.

Flipping back and forth, Tarak quickly concludes that for at least the first half of the book, the person writing this journal was a gentle, compassionate priest of Pelor. His later journal entries, though in the same hand, have a much different and increasingly incoherent tone. Tarak suspects the explanation he's looking for is indeed held in this book, but it's likely to take hours of careful reading to divine.

razorback
2020-08-03, 09:34 AM
Once armored up, move about to try and get comfortable with mixed success. He felt a bit claustrophobic.
"Ok, let's drag him to the locals and get on with this." His bow stowed, he grabs the bound priest under one arm as he waits for someone else to grab his other, then moves out when everyone is ready.

Cavir
2020-08-03, 02:11 PM
"Celesta, would do help Feagon please?" Suga looks at the bound priest. "I wouldn't upset her, you see how she can get." He gives a smile that probably just made his contorted face look scarier. Once everyone is ready the orc leads the way back to the inn where the townfolk are holed up. He keeps his wits and nose on alert.

RolandDeschain
2020-08-08, 06:10 PM
Tarak

The hobgoblin absent-mindedly follows his compatriots back through the streets toward the inn as he thumb's through the priest's journal. Finally he snaps the book shut and hustles to catch up to Feagon and Suga.

"Strange to be sure. The priest's journal is just that....a journal full of the small concerns of a village this size. Seems he was just an ordinary man, dedicated to Pelor and caring for the locals to the best of his abilities. The more recent entries are....odd, rambling and not at all like the earlier ones. Something happened to him, that much is clear. It'll take more time to read than if he would just tell us what happened, but I suspect he won't."

razorback
2020-08-09, 01:50 PM
"Based on what little we've seen" Feagon says with a smirk as he shrugs his shoulders, trying to get comfortable "...with the undead and... whatever else is going on... well, do you think him possessed or enthralled in some manner?"

Cavir
2020-08-13, 09:28 AM
"Slowly driven crazy by all the undead, then hit with the news of his son as the last straw? Pelor eh? Ashlyn, something you can help with? Finding his way back to sanity?"

Kish
2020-08-16, 03:20 AM
"I doubt it," Ashlyn says, contemplating the features of the unconscious priest without warmth. "Whatever brought him to this, he seems as unthinkingly violent as any of the zombies now."

No undead creatures of any sort are in evidence as you make your way through the foggy streets back to the inn, carrying the limp priest over the barricades. Ashlyn pounds on the inn door and shouts again until the innkeeper opens the door. The common room is as crowded as when you left; Ismark appears to have fallen asleep, face down on his table.

razorback
2020-08-16, 12:18 PM
As they make their way into town and then into the inn, Feagon is on edge, bow at the ready. Once inside, he is a bit more gentle than the others as he helps the priest sit, though he does make sure that has hands are secure behind him and tied to the base of the chair, making it difficult for the man to move. Looking around the room, he asks "We have brought him back but it is upon you all to watch him. You might want to gag and blindfold him, too. Do not fall under the sway of his words or magic. He was dangerous... is dangerous, still, and you would do your best to keep him alive but leave him be for now." as he asks for rags.

Cavir
2020-08-16, 12:38 PM
Suga lightly bumps Ismark's chair as he passes by then stands guard as the priest is bound to the chair. Once the rope work is done the orc slings his shield and axe then orders drinks for the party.

RolandDeschain
2020-08-19, 08:39 PM
Tarak

The hobgoblin follows along silently, lost in thought, and studying the relative quite and calm of the village. Once in the tavern, he slides into his chair and begins flipping back through the pages of the journal looking for the point at which the tenor and tone began to change....

Kish
2020-08-26, 04:56 AM
The other people in the common room give you shocked, uncomprehending looks when you carry the unconscious, filthy-robed, clearly injured priest in. For a minute, it looks like the general reaction to Feagon's words is going to be very negative indeed. Ashlyn steps up to explain that the priest was at the church with a number of undead who attacked you on sight, the priest attacking as well while ranting about his son, and she found the animated bodies of her friends there as well. She is at least compelling enough that no one is quick to say they don't believe her, and the hostile looks shift toward the unconscious priest at this point.

The only people who don't participate at all are the bartender, who continues cleaning glasses with the air of one determined not to get involved in anything, and Ismark, who remains face down on his table.

razorback
2020-08-26, 11:43 AM
Feagon nods to Ashlyn, knowing he doesn't have a gift of soothing words. Motioning the others towards a less occupied part of the room he says "I have concerns about them freeing him but I don't see another way. Are we ready to push on and rid these people of the oppressive undead?"

Cavir
2020-08-27, 06:28 PM
Suga follows Feagon to the table. "Where to next then?"

He makes use of his healing belt on himself. [roll0]

RolandDeschain
2020-09-03, 05:51 PM
Tarak

The hobgoblin keeps reading the cleric's journal.

Kish
2020-09-07, 02:28 AM
"If that dealt with the roaming zombies..." Ashlyn shakes her head, looking downcast. "What did bring you to Barovia?"

RolandDeschain
2020-09-07, 06:24 PM
Tarak

Overhearing Feagon and the paladin's exchange, "What...uh, maybe have the townsfolk send out some...patrols to see if the undead are gone...maybe?"

razorback
2020-09-09, 01:25 PM
Feagon, keeping his voice low so as not to be heard by the locals says "This lot looks broken and defeated. I don't know if they would and, if they did, would be of any use.. He then turns to Ashlyn and says in a regular voice "Fate, it would seem." he says with a forced laugh.

Cavir
2020-09-09, 04:17 PM
"If that dealt with the roaming zombies..." Ashlyn shakes her head, looking downcast. "What did bring you to Barovia?"

"What did we bring? I brought this axe that yearns to cut down the undead. If the roaming zombies are gone then we brought fortune, didn't we?"

"There was the church, mansion, madam, and castle right? Church cleared. Stop by mansion on way to the madam? Eat then head out or stay here for the night to deal with Ismark and the priest?"

RolandDeschain
2020-09-15, 04:47 PM
Tarak

While the others discuss a course of action, Tarak continues reading the priest's journal.

razorback
2020-09-17, 01:19 PM
"I suggest we rest. My magic is mostly spent and I need to sleep to recoup the ability to cast more."

Cavir
2020-09-18, 12:43 PM
"Staying here til morning? Fine. Still need to pick where we go tomorrow. Need directions too. Maybe someone here wants to go to the mansion. Don't want to just sit around. I'll be outside. " Suga heads outside into the barricaded off area. He sniffs the air for any new smell of undead. Free of concerns, the orc goes through his martial forms covering the various weapons he keeps on him.

If nothing else happens will take a watch shift over night. With overnight rest will be down 5hp. Hunter's Sense is kept on, particularly taking note of any smell of undead not coming from the captured priest.

RolandDeschain
2020-09-21, 06:39 PM
Tarak

While Feagon meditates, Tarak continues studying the journal, taking periodic breaks to eat and drink.

Kish
2020-09-23, 12:53 AM
Tarak finds a distraught entry talking about the priest's son, Doru, having been killed by bandits. The next few entries talk around using something, something he describes as having been found on "the catacombs of the monster's castle." From there, the writing deteriorates, being increasingly taken over by ranting about how the writer has his son back and no one's going to take him away again.

His mind jogged by the phrasing of one of the entries, Tarak searches back through the earlier passages and finds one that reads, "“There is a book, the Tome of Strahd, that might shed light
on the steps necessary to destroy the monster of the castle. It is well known that Strahd kept meticulous notes from ancient times on all he did or said. Perhaps some weakness of his could be found there. This tome was once located in Ravenloft’s library, but now I’m not sure where it is. I asked Madam Eva about it, and she mumbled something indecipherable. Why do seers always speak in riddles?”

You received this letter (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=23694898&postcount=1141) shortly before you arrived at Barovia; you showed it to Ismark, but not to anyone currently awake and involved.

razorback
2020-09-23, 05:18 PM
"It makes you seem smart in their eyes, I would think, if no one really knows what your saying I suppose." Feagon says in response to the quip about Madame Eva. "His son was killed and he managed to bring him back with... this Tome of Strahd. This could be some vile book of necromancy. Taken with the letter from the Burgonmaster detailing the wolves... well, everyone here would do well to leave the area until we could clear the area, though I doubt the would be safe fleeing." the elf shakes his head. "There is obviously much more going on than we can piece together." he says drowsily, trying to stifle a yawn. "The question, to me, is how do we track down the root of the various evils that prey upon these people?"

Kn: Religion on the Tome of Strahd
[roll0]

RolandDeschain
2020-09-28, 06:59 PM
Tarak

After sharing the information with Feagon and Suga, the hobgoblin sits back in his chair of the tavern and nods along to Feagon's comments.

"This is disturbing news, indeed, it seems yonder priest is responsible for the creation of that abomination, but it came from a place of love for his fallen son. Do we tell the towns people? Do you think whatever.....ritual....he performed was responsible for the sudden rise of the town's dead? Apparently the lord of this region is the 'monster' known as Strahd....perhaps securing this Tome would offer some key to bringing him down. If so we should go see this Madam Eva person. But....but, do we want to do that? Do we want to assert ourselves in the politics of this area? Is our mission here accomplished or should we seek more information about this Burgomaster.....his son said he was dead, did he not?

So, what say you? Stay and investigate further, or see if we can escape this god-forsaken place?"

Cavir
2020-09-28, 09:03 PM
"We spent all this time getting here. Might as well stay a while. If we can help and bash on undead all the better. Mansion or Madam right? Or both in one trip? That Ireena is at the mansion right?"

razorback
2020-09-30, 11:42 AM
"In the morning, I say we see Madam Eva before heading to the mansion. Maybe she can provide some insight we aren't seeing?"

Cavir
2020-09-30, 12:21 PM
"Sounds good to me. Maybe we can get one of the locals to make a simple map. Ashlyn, you coming with us tomorrow?"

Suga glances over at the still sleeping Ismark and shakes his head.

RolandDeschain
2020-10-03, 09:04 AM
Tarak

The hobgoblin follows Suga's glance toward Ismark, then leans in and whispers to the his orcish friend, "I wonder if he knows his sister was a adopted?"

To Feagon and Suga, "I'm up for a trip to see this Madam Eva, and stopping buy the mansion if it's along the way."

I think we already "rested".....my last post, I said Tarak was reading during the hours Feagon was meditating.

Cavir
2020-10-08, 06:48 PM
Suga nods in agreement with the plan. He looks around to find a certain someone. "Ismark! Time to go. We're headed to the mansion. You've slept plenty."

Kish
2020-10-09, 04:56 PM
Ashlyn shakes her head. "I'm going to need time to figure out what I'm doing next. If only--well, never mind that. You have some kind of letter about werewolves to investigate, don't you?"

From the directions you got earlier, the burgomaster's mansion is south, while Madam Eva's camp is west, out of Barovia entirely, and some distance through the wilderness.

Ismark takes a couple minutes to wake up, but even when he does, he's not terribly receptive to suggestions or demands that he guide you to his father's mansion. His initial reaction is to express doubt that you've actually dealt with the zombies at all; Ashlyn is able to convince him of that, or at least to stop overtly questioning it, but he says, "You don't need me to guide you. Just go south from here, you can't miss it." He doesn't get up.

Cavir
2020-10-14, 06:21 AM
Suga hands Ashlyn the letter.

RolandDeschain
2020-10-15, 01:56 PM
Tarak

"Hmmpph....worse than useless," the hobgoblin huffs at Ismark's recalcitrance.

To Feagon, "I hope you got your spells prepped and your prayer beads ready, something tells me we're gonna need 'em. Let's get to the mansion and investigate, it was the letter that brought us here after all. Madam Eva will have to wait I suppose."

With a look to Suga, Tarak nods to the door, "South, I believe. Lead on."

razorback
2020-10-16, 10:03 PM
As the elf sits quietly meditating, his eyes open at Tarak's comment. "Ready as I can be. Let's get on with it, then." Collecting his things, he weighs his bow versus his morning star for a moment before stowing his spiked weapon and then checks his bowstring before moving to the door. "Creepy mansion it is."

Kish
2020-10-22, 12:02 AM
The streets of Barovia are as gloomy, depressing, and fog-ridden as when you first entered them, but the stench of rot is further away, and nothing seems to attack you as you make your way south toward the mansion. As you were told, it's large enough to stand out even through the fog when you're a block away. As it comes into sight, you hear a loud, moaning wail from slightly to your east. Looking that way, it appears the cry is drifting from the opened upper window of a two-story building; no lights are visible inside that building.

Will you continue to the mansion, or detour to investigate this sound?

Cavir
2020-10-22, 02:58 PM
Suga's eyes dart to the source of the sound. Not being able to see the source he glances at the mansion for signs of life then to the rest of the group. He draws his dire axe then uses his axe to point to the noise with a nod of his head meaning let's go. He moves to the same side of the street as the building the continues on to the building, using his ears and nose to try notice anything else.

Was it a sudden wailing, like an alarm that we've been seen?

RolandDeschain
2020-10-24, 10:49 AM
Tarak

With a gesture the hobgoblin summons a field of magical armor, and moves closer to the noise looking for any windows or doors through which he could take a peak.

Mage Armor
Perception [roll0]

Kish
2020-10-25, 04:05 AM
The window from which the wailing comes is too high for you to see through it, but through a lower window, your darkvision sees a house that appears to have been ransacked.

razorback
2020-10-25, 11:53 AM
Feagon, when he hears the moaning, brings his bow up reflexively towards the sound. As Tarak moves forward, he puts a staying hand on Ashlyn's shoulder before returning it to nock his arrow, giving Tarak covering fire if needed.

Cavir
2020-10-28, 05:53 AM
Suga puts his hand to the door and quietly opens it, then moves in. He tries to figure out the sound. Someone slowly dying in pain? Some undead creature doing what came naturally to it? He quietly moves to the stairs, careful of the ransacked debris around.

Kish
2020-10-30, 05:25 PM
The wailing, which sounds like a human voice, continues unabated as Suga moves over to the stairs.

RolandDeschain
2020-10-31, 08:30 PM
Tarak

The hobgoblin lightly taps Suga on the shoulder then presses his finger to his lips, and slips in front of him moving stealthily up the stairs.

[roll0]

Cavir
2020-11-03, 07:07 AM
Suga nods and waits at the bottom of the stairs, ready to dash up them.

Kish
2020-11-07, 05:52 PM
Tarak enters a bedroom painted bright pink with fluffy white clouds. A big yellow sun with a smiling face stares down from the ceiling. A great fairy castle with gleaming crystal windows adorns a wall, with pretty girls, unicorns, and handsome lords painted on its verandas and in the courtyard. A small canopied bed stands in one corner of the room, made up perfectly. Dolls, play-princess crowns, and other little girls’ toys fill shelves. In the center of the floor sobs a despondent older woman, the source of the noise you heard from outside. She is apparently unaware of you, or indeed anything going on around her.

RolandDeschain
2020-11-07, 07:45 PM
Tarak

Slipping back down the stairs silently, the hobgoblin puts his hand on Suga's shoulder and motions for Feagon to come forward, and speaks quietly, "Older woman sitting on the floor of what looks like a little girl's bedroom wailing and crying."

With a glance back at Suga, "I think Suga or I might frighten her if she is what she appears to be....perhaps you could speak with her. Suga could be right behind you on the stairs if things aren't what they seem, so to speak."

IF that sounds okay, Tarak will remain on the ground floor keeping a look out for unusual activity and ready to run upstairs if things go terribly haywire.

Cavir
2020-11-07, 08:02 PM
Suga nods, agreeing with the plan. He''ll take great care going up the stairs quietly behind Feagon, at least until the time for silence is over.

razorback
2020-11-08, 10:40 AM
Feagon nods as he puts his bow away. He touches his morning star and keeps it in hand, but low and as unassuming as possible. "Alright, let's give this a go." He says as he makes his way up. Moving up the stairs, he turns the corner and sees the woman on the floor. "Hello... are you ok? I'm Feagon... I'm hear to help."

Diplomacy
[roll0]

Kish
2020-11-16, 03:19 AM
"Uh!" The woman looks up at Feagon. "You--have you seen my daughter? My Gertruda!"

razorback
2020-11-16, 12:37 PM
"I don't know that name" the elf says with a smile "but if you can describe her, maybe I can remember seeing her or help you find her?"

Cavir
2020-11-22, 11:10 AM
From the bottom of the stairs Suga can see Feagon's stance soften a little. The orc keeps his wits about him, ready in case things change quickly.

Adaptive Style. Changing Readied maneuvers.

Kish
2020-11-26, 10:07 PM
She blinks at Feagon, looking dubious. She finally starts to talk again, but what comes out isn't a description. “I kept Gertruda in this room her entire life! She was safe here. Safe! She was happy here—she knew only the storybook tales I told her. The real world is too hard, too dangerous. I never let her know anything of it. My girl had everything she ever could have wanted. Why did she run away? I fear that the master of the castle has her now. Oh, my poor Gertruda! I know the worst has come to pass!"

razorback
2020-11-30, 08:37 AM
Feagon blinks a bit as the response he got wasn't what he expected. "What's your name? And, why would you think the master of the castle has your dau... your Gertrude?"
Once she responds, he asks "Can you describe what she looks like? What she might have been wearing... how old she is?"

Kish
2020-12-07, 01:07 AM
"Wearing? She usually wore white...oh, my poor Gertruda. She was safe here. Safe!" If Feagon repeats his other questions, he can eventually learn that Gertruda was/is 18 years old, stands 5'4'', and most likely wearing a long white dress that would be entirely impractical for traveling through the terrain outside the town that you saw.

razorback
2020-12-08, 11:09 AM
Feagon nods as the woman speaks, trying to console her. "I have a few friends... we were going to seek out some other people that we were looking for, we can keep an eye out for Gertrude. Why would she run away? And why would you think that she left for the master? What is the master's name, so if we see him we can ask?"

Kish
2020-12-08, 05:14 PM
"She had no reason to run away. She had everything she ever could have wanted here," the woman says. She seems uncomprehending of Feagon's request for the name of the master of the castle, and you realize, after trying to get her to answer it, she also seems terrified by the subject.

razorback
2020-12-09, 01:37 PM
Giving the woman his best smile, he says calmly. "Well, we will do our best to find Gertrude and bring her back to you. Ok? If there isn't any other information you can give us right now, we'll be on our way. Best if you lock your door once we have left." he says as he begins to move towards the stairs. He gives a shrug to Suga and Tarak. "Not sure what else we can get out of her, unless either of you can think of something else to ask." he says quietly once out of earshot.

Cavir
2020-12-13, 09:33 AM
"She's stopped wailing at least. Maybe nothing will come for her until we're done. Let's keep going to the mansion."

Suga leads with a route that will keep them to the shadows for now while they take a closer look at the mansion.

RolandDeschain
2020-12-13, 10:44 AM
Tarak

After Feagon recounts the exchange, Tarak shakes his head, "She kept the child locked in her bedroom for 18 years? Small wonder she ran away."

Resuming their route to the mansion, the hobgoblin moves cautiously, stopping periodically to study the environs of this dark and foreboding place for additional threats

Kish
2020-12-13, 10:52 PM
An aged and dilapidated mansion squats behind a rusting iron fence, but the gates have been twisted open—one lies torn from its hinges, while the other swings crazily in the wind, screeching and clanging with mindless repetition. The house beyond is marked by claws, fires, and ominous stains. Every window is boarded, every door barricaded. The only sound from this mansion is from the gate.

razorback
2020-12-14, 09:38 AM
As they move back outside, Feagon pulls his bow and sets an arrow, but doesn't draw yet.
Once the mansion is in view and the amount of damage is noticed, he spins about as he looks, muttering "Well, that does not bode well for them or us." in a grim voice as he continues moving forward with the group.

Perception
[roll0]

Cavir
2020-12-15, 05:11 PM
With no signs or smells of immediate danger, Suga shrugs his shoulders and begins walking toward the house through the remains of the gates. "Announce ourselves as we enter? If anyone is still alive in there we don't want them running."

RolandDeschain
2020-12-15, 09:43 PM
Tarak

With a look to Feagon, Tarak then nods at Suga's words, "hang back a bit and keep your eyes out Feagon". Tarak moves toward the door and then knocks loudly.

Kish
2020-12-15, 11:14 PM
The front door doesn't look particularly sturdy. As you approach it, you still see no enemies, as far as you can see through the foggy streets.

razorback
2020-12-16, 10:24 AM
Feagon nods as he moves to a post and halts, trying to blend in.

Stealth
[roll0]

Perception in case you need another
[roll1]

RolandDeschain
2020-12-18, 06:59 PM
Tarak

Seeing that the door seems a bit unstable, Tarak glances at Suga, then shrugs and raps loudly on the door frame, "HELLO?"

Kish
2020-12-19, 05:24 AM
After a minute, you hear boards being ripped away from an upstairs window, and the window opens about four inches. You catch a glimpse of a startlingly beautiful human woman on her twenties, holding a longbow aimed in your general direction. "Who are you, and what do you want?" she asks.

RolandDeschain
2020-12-19, 07:39 PM
Tarak

Taking a step back from the door, Tarak looks up to the figure in the window, "I'm Tarak, and these are my friends Suga and Feagon. We came in response to Burgomaster of Barovia's request for aid. We've met his son Ismark at the local tavern." Looking at his compatriots for a moment, "We believe we may have dealt with the village's troubles regarding the walking undead and would speak with you if we may."

Kish
2020-12-19, 08:34 PM
"You came in response to what now?" the woman asks suspiciously. If Ismark is to be believed, the Burgomaster has been dead for some time.

RolandDeschain
2020-12-19, 09:28 PM
Tarak

He shakes his head momentarily, then produces the letter and holds it aloft "Ismark did not believe it either, but we were invited to Barovia by the Burgomaster himself. This letter was his call for assistance."

Kish
2020-12-22, 07:03 AM
A beam of light, like that of a bullseye lantern, plays over Tarak's face from the window above, and then over Celesta, Feagon, and Suga. After a minute, the window closes. A minute later, you hear the sound of the front door being unbarricaded. A beautiful, haunted-looking young woman with jet black hair, dressed like an adventurer in a chain shirt and with a rapier at her side, opens the door. "Come in," she says quietly.

The well-furnished mansion shows considerable wear, though the holy symbols hung in every room of the house draw attention from the soiled divans and ratty carpets. A man’s body in burgomaster’s robes lies in state in the front room.

razorback
2020-12-23, 11:13 AM
Putting the arrow back and his quiver and hanging his bow, Feagon fingers the rapier at his waist, the one they found, before moving in. "Don't let her skewer me." he says as he passes the group and enters the home.
Looking about, he asks "As my friend said, I am Feagon. Who are you?" he says, noting her armor and weapon.

RolandDeschain
2020-12-24, 06:12 PM
Tarak

Tipping his head slightly Tarak slowly enters the room behind Feagon. Stepping reverently over to the body lying in state, he bows his head and says a silent prayer, before returning to the woman's side and handing her the letter.

"I'm sorry for your loss ma'am....Ireena, right? This is the letter that brought us here. Needless to say we were greeted by an entirely different and nasty surprise when we entered the town."

Cavir
2020-12-24, 06:25 PM
Suga put his axe away symbolically and let his shield hang. He still had his shield and spiked gauntlet available as weapons but it would have made a commotion undoing all that. He followed the others in and nodded to the woman.

Kish
2020-12-30, 04:06 PM
"I'm Ireena Kolyana," the woman says, taking the letter from Tarak. She reads it silently, before saying, "I haven't been bitten by a werewolf and my father didn't write this." She shudders. "But you said you might have done something about the walking corpses. Can you elaborate?"

RolandDeschain
2020-12-31, 02:21 PM
Tarak

Reclaiming the letter the hobgoblin pushes back a lock of shaggy hair, "Well ma'am, I don't rightly know how to describe it really. We came to this village and were beset by the waking dead as we made our way through the streets. We eventually won our way through to the local tavern where we found many villagers, Ismark, and a holy warrior named Ashlyn holed up. After a brief rest, we went to the village church to determine the fate of Ashlyn's compatriots. It was there that we discovered the local cleric had lost his mind and performed some heinous rites on his recently deceased son. My friends here, Feagon and Suga, slayed the abomination, captured the cleric, and we returned to the tavern. Ismark pointed us here. We have encountered no waking dead since....perhaps the priest and his son were the source of undeath, or perhaps it's merely coincidence, but for now they seem to be gone.

Uh....I don't want to sound forward, and again I grieve for you loss, but legends say those bitten by werewolves themselves are transformed into werewolves. If that were the case, wouldn't you lie to us about being bitten?" Tarak looks the young woman intently in the eyes watching how she reacts to his query.

not great, but what the heck [roll0]

Kish
2021-01-06, 11:19 PM
"Uh. I doubt it? I've never heard that werewolves can instantly override--anyway, you can ask the people in the tavern. There...are actually werewolves in the area...but while they make it deadly to travel through the forest, especially closer to the full moon, they've never attacked Barovia itself. During my lifetime, anyway."

She considers for a minute before saying, "I have a request for you, though. If the zombies are gone, will you help me take my father's body to the cemetery? And then we can talk more about this letter, and who really wrote it."

She doesn't seem particularly nervous, but you can't really tell whether she's a practiced liar or isn't lying. Her revulsion when she speaks of the letter is plain. If anyone else wants to try a Sense Motive roll, they might learn more.

razorback
2021-01-08, 05:58 PM
Feagon keeps to the back as he looks at the body, then turns to Ireena "I will help. What was your father's name and what God did he pray to? I will say a prayer for him to Ehlonna, at least, if that is acceptable to you."

Sense Motive
[roll0]

RolandDeschain
2021-01-14, 03:09 PM
Tarak

Looking over his shoulder at Feagon, then Suga, "I suppose we could help you put your father to rest, as of now the streets appear to be clear. To be frank, we came here out of a sense of obligation to find out about the letter and your father. If things are as they appear in this little town, it's no small miracle that you're alive and well. We've plans to seek out one Madam Eva tomorrow, but I believe that's out of town in an entirely different direction. Would you like us to try to fetch Ismark, he seemed....well, he was rather....despondent and morose when we departed."