PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Oath of Pragmatism, a re-flavoured Oath of Treachery for the Humblewood campaign

Nielspeterdejon
2020-01-17, 02:02 PM
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/3ef18718-60d9-4d07-9c20-514f1a521ef3/ddolpge-8b378d0d-99a0-4ea5-9110-d3c8734e8591.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJ IUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQz NzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZT BkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6 W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzNlZjE4NzE4LTYwZDktNGQwNy05Yz IwLTUxNGYxYTUyMWVmM1wvZGRvbHBnZS04YjM3OGQwZC05OWEw LTRlYTUtOTExMC1kM2M4NzM0ZTg1OTEucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIj pbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8VHo9PsP klzwRYA8hzLS7kdfzD97mpcL92cN66XwkNE

This is a re-flavour of the current Oath of Treachery, made so that neutral or even good aligned characters could play a anti-hero instead of strictly an evil one.
So me and my friends are planning to play the Humblewood campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hitpointpress/humblewood-campaign-setting-for-5e-dnd which we are very exited for. I love how adorable the races are, but even more than that I love the contrast between most of the races and the Corvum. The Corvum are pragmatic to a fault, but not without reason. I didn't want to have a campaign set in a more pleasant universe, as the idea is that it is happening on a huge island, so instead we agreed that the setting was light hearted to a degree, but that was in part due to the Corvim keeping much of the cruel outside world out.
So I decided to re-flavour the Oath of Treachery into the Oath of Pragmatism, so that on one hand we had the standard go happy Humblefolk and birdfolk, and on the other hand we had the more down to earth Corvum. Who wished that the others would act less like a bunch of hippies and/or got off their lawn!
Vilified as villainous, yet being the ones to protect them from their own nativity, while secretly liking the other more positive birdfolk/humblefolk. Because, despite their prejudice, they show them what it is they are fighting for.
I renamed some of the traits, and added the Oath of the Pragmatic feature to allow for more varied builds. This is meant for both thematic purposes, as well as make it so that Corvum players could play a Paladin with this Oath (or declare that they will choose this Oath at 1st level) and still do decently well. I also added some minor traits to it like helping boost the use of basic poison, since hardly anyone uses it, and it does require 100 g per dose. As well as the ability to take light armour and still have a decent AC if you need to sneak around and do unsavoury acts to help safeguard your party in the long run.
Here is a link to the HD pdf: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G8f5nreTxL8kAH3iXOn1G7pXUTlJR6Ht

Yakk
2020-01-17, 02:34 PM
You missed at least one Treachery. (In the early fluff text). You probably want to rewrite that fluff text.

I'm not certain why you need to replace Int with Cha to make it possible for a specific race to play a Paladin. Does that race have a Cha penalty and an Int bonus or something?

Nielspeterdejon
2020-01-17, 03:08 PM
You missed at least one Treachery. (In the early fluff text). You probably want to rewrite that fluff text.

I'm not certain why you need to replace Int with Cha to make it possible for a specific race to play a Paladin. Does that race have a Cha penalty and an Int bonus or something?

Thanks! Where is that though, I can't seem to find it. If you are referring to the first line, it is actually referring to the existing Oath of Treachery, and mentions that this is a off shoot branch of it.

And it was both that as well as for flavor purposes. I liked the idea of this pragmatic kind of paladin who gained his power from his pragmatic intelligence (for which his deities blessed him). Plus the Corvum gain a +2 intelligence and +1 Charisma. Charisma is always a ability you put points in, and I wanted to make it so that intelligence had a more interesting spot as well. Namely to help a more sneaky and tricksy kind of paladin. Which would be ideal for the Corvum race.

Nielspeterdejon
2020-01-17, 08:12 PM
Also, I've just added a description for extracting poison, based on what I know from the official material as well as ideas from the forums.

Yakk
2020-01-18, 12:42 PM
I don't see why you have to acknowledge the oath of treachery's existence at all, let alone starting with it.

Instead of replaceing cha with int, what about giving int backed features? I suppose that results in worse MAD.

Nielspeterdejon
2020-01-18, 04:26 PM
I don't see why you have to acknowledge the oath of treachery's existence at all, let alone starting with it.

Instead of replaceing cha with int, what about giving int backed features? I suppose that results in worse MAD.

Well I started with it to show that it is a re-flavor of that Oath, with just some alternative build options added to it. Also, I've added a improved text that talks about how to extract poison: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G8f5nreTxL8kAH3iXOn1G7pXUTlJR6Ht/view