PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking for a published adventure to run.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-01-17, 05:27 PM
Hello guys :)

I want to run a published adventure to two of my friends because they need a break from DMing.

They are new to 5e but I have no problem with balancing the fights and the RP is not going to be a problem.

The problem is that I never run a published material, I run only homebrew games.

I want to run a published adventure because I am in a writing block for my homebrew settings and I want to let my mind rest.

I was thinking about Tomb of Annihilation as they like the exotic stuff.

Any advice about running published adventure?

micahaphone
2020-01-17, 07:42 PM
Don't be afraid to adapt or adjust stuff to your tastes. If you look up forums online or blogs or guides for DMing, you'll find many suggestions for common changes*. For example, the blog Elven Tower has a great chapter by chapter breakdown of Out of the Abyss that I've found incredibly helpful. I don't always use their suggestions, but it's good to have certain things pointed out.

Read a few chapters ahead, just so you don't accidentally back yourself into a corner with a change. I don't think you have to have read the entire book before starting, but it's good to know the direction things are going and the options coming up.

sithlordnergal
2020-01-17, 07:48 PM

I want to run a published adventure to two of my friends because they need a break from DMing.

They are new to 5e but I have no problem with balancing the fights and the RP is not going to be a problem.

The problem is that I never run a published material, I run only homebrew games.

I want to run a published adventure because I am in a writing block for my homebrew settings and I want to let my mind rest.

Tomb of Annihilation is fun, and was the first Hardcover I ran front to back. However, I highly suggest getting Encounters in the Jungles of Chult to help make the travel portion a bit more interesting. If the players have a Ranger in the party, that Ranger removes any form of challenge or difficulty with that section.

Tawmis
2020-01-17, 07:51 PM

Dragon of Icespire Peak seems to be good for new people. And if you're doing that, I heard The Secret of Havenfall (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/291151/The-Secret-of-Havenfall-Manor) is pretty good. :smallwink: