PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other 3.5 Monk Feat - Hadouken

Jon_Dahl
2020-01-18, 08:20 AM
Hadouken

Prerequisites
Stunning fist, Ki Strike (Magic), base attack bonus +6.

Benefit
By using two of daily uses of Stunning Fist, you can use a standard action to create a wave of force energy from the palms of your hands. The energy is visible. This is a ranged touch attack up to 20 ft. with no range increment. The damage is xd6 where x is equal to your monk level.

Hadouken is a supernatural ability that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

myrtlerankind
2020-01-23, 07:34 AM
Good idea. Hadouken is nice ability.

heavyfuel
2020-01-23, 08:51 AM
Compare this feat with the existing Ring the Golden Bell feat from Dragon Compendium

Pre-requisites: Similar, but yours doesn't require WF

Uses per day: Yours has potentially more uses per day, but in practice it would probably be fewer, since a Monk would probably be using SF nearly every single round of combat

Range: Yours is much, much shorter. RtGB has range increments, which means it's actually useful against far away/flying enemies. Why would you use a Haduken against an enemy that's very well within melee reach?

Damage: 1d6/lv or a decisive strike's worth of damage? Haduken definitely comes out ahead in the average given it's a touch attack, but the raw damage is probably closer.

Riders: Haduken has no riders, RtGB has any riders you have on your regular attacks, including Stunning Fist

Overall, the Haduken feat is cool, but it's also rather useless since I'm not going to spend a feat so that a few times per day I can do slightly better damage. If I were to spend a feat, it would be so that I'm not useless against flying/far away enemies, which this doesn't help.

Suggested changes:
- Increase the range to at least Close range (25ft+5ft/2levels). Enlarged close range (50ft+5ft/lv) wouldn't be OP either;
- Create a separate pool for uses. Instead of drawing from the Stunning Fist pool, make it something like 1+Wis mod, like RtGB;
- Allow non-monks to pick up the feat. The pre-reqs alone should mean only monks will ever get it, but toss a bone to the Fighter wishing to play monk as well.

Roderick_BR
2020-01-23, 07:07 PM
It's much better than Ki Blast (Player's HandBook 2). Yours doesnt require Fiery Fiest, and deals <monk level>d6 damage, vs the official Feat's 3d6+Wis Bonus. Ki Blast has a 60ft range and gives one extra daily use of Stunning Fist.

Frankly, Ki Blast kinda s*cks, but yours can get a bit strong on the basis that it's a ranged *touch* attack and can go up to 20d6 damage. My suggestion is, make it like half your monk level (so it gets comparable to a Sneak Attack topping at 10d6), *or* remove the touch part (Hadokens in Street Fighter can be blocked). If you do both, you could reduce the cost to 1 daily use of Stunning Fist, so you can use it more often instead of dropping a bomb that could drop a wizard in one round.

Jon_Dahl
2020-01-24, 02:11 PM
Thank you so much for the feedback so far!