PDA

View Full Version : Interesting builds using Revenant Blade?

bendking
2020-01-18, 10:38 AM
Now that the Eberron sourcebook is out, does anyone have any ideas on how to abuse this feat?
My first thought was that it's perfect for Rogues to use, but Rogues usually want Elven Accuracy, and have Cunning Action for their bonus action, so it doesn't seem to fit them exactly.
My next thought was for DEX rangers to use, though it wouldn't fit Horizon Walkers very much, it can still be quite nice.
Any other ideas?

Bobthewizard
2020-01-18, 03:15 PM
I went with a Pact of the Blade Warlock since the feat makes a single weapon so important to the build. I didn't want to lose it and I don't expect to find a magic one so Improved Pact Weapon becomes very valuable.

It does stink before level 4 though that it isn't a finesse weapon. I think they messed up. They gave it extra attack normally but only made it a finesse weapon with the feat. I wish they would have changed those so it starts as a finesse weapon and you get the extra attack with the feat. Hexblade fixes that problem.

If you can manage good enough scores, I'd vote for a Hexadin.

djreynolds
2020-01-18, 03:18 PM
Now that the Eberron sourcebook is out, does anyone have any ideas on how to abuse this feat?
My first thought was that it's perfect for Rogues to use, but Rogues usually want Elven Accuracy, and have Cunning Action for their bonus action, so it doesn't seem to fit them exactly.
My next thought was for DEX rangers to use, though it wouldn't fit Horizon Walkers very much, it can still be quite nice.
Any other ideas?

Hate to say this, but a champion has no need for a BA like a samurai does with fighting spirit. But a dex based champion elf with revenant blade could go all day.

Also a swashbuckler, does not really need cunning action, so a twin scimitar is great with revenant blade

And last a strength based elf barbarian, its just like PAM but instead of reach you get a bump in AC and dex/strength

CheddarChampion
2020-01-18, 06:34 PM
Dexterity based drow paladin?
8/17/14/10/10/16, Revenant Blade, Dex+2, Cha+2, Cha+2, your pick.
Or half-elf for 15/10/15/10/10/16, Revenant Blade, Resilient: Constitution, Str+2, Str+2, Cha+2.
Great weapon fighting style turns 1d4's 2.5 average damage into 3. Even better if your DM lets you use it with smiting/IDS/divine favor/elemental weapon.

Seekergeek
2020-01-18, 06:43 PM
Yeah I’m currently using it with a dexadin and it has been great combined with great weapon fighting, especially. Twice the chance to smite has helped me finally put that darn moon Druid in his place as far as being our primary damage dealer at level 4.

Spectrulus
2020-01-18, 06:52 PM
Not super interesting, but any character could use it with Strength, barbarians, martial clerics(up to level 11 or so), strength fighters, etc. Lets a lot of characters skip pole-arm master and be more martially useful.

Shout out to barbarians gor adding their rage bonus up to 3 times a turn for up to +6-12 damage/turn and an extra attempt for a crit.

CheddarChampion
2020-01-18, 10:55 PM
If Brutal Critical adds 1d6 damage to a greatsword crit then it adds 1d4 to a double bladed scimitar crit, right?

Spectrulus
2020-01-19, 10:49 AM
That sounds right.

Having a ~15 percent chance to add extra dice instead of ~10 isn't a huge boost I'll grant, but it is noteworthy. I'm not usually the type to make spreadsheets about these sorts of DPR calculations.

I see it being a fun tool to bring back older weapons like:
• Dwarven Urgosh: 1d8 slashing 1d4 piercing
• Gnomish Hook-Hammer: 1d8 bludgeoning 1d4 piercing
• Orcish Double-Axe: 1d8 slashing 1d4 slashing

Small races actually can use these style weapons as they are two-handed but not heavy, which is also interesting!

HappyDaze
2020-01-19, 05:29 PM
Interesting? Well, let's see...

Oh, wait... Interesting means abuse? I'm out.

Fedifensor
2020-02-25, 01:23 AM
I went with a Pact of the Blade Warlock since the feat makes a single weapon so important to the build. I didn't want to lose it and I don't expect to find a magic one so Improved Pact Weapon becomes very valuable.
I just started playing in an Eberron campaign (conveniently, at level 4). Playing a Hexblade Pact of the Blade Warlock - I would have chosen a different patron...but there really isn't anything better for a melee character. Started with a 17 Dex and 16 Cha (Mark of Shadow Elf), and took Dex to 18 with Revenant Blade. So, a decent attack bonus and damage (+7 attack, 2d4+5 damage with Improved Pact Weapon), and I'll have 3 attacks per round once I hit 5th and get Thirsting Blade. 17 AC, so shouldn't be too bad off in melee, and that will get better with magic items and higher level invocations. I miss out on improving my Eldritch Blast...but the pact weapon can turn into a 1d8+5 longbow that will have 2 shots at 5th, so that's an acceptable substitute. I can pick up either Shadow of Moil or Improved Invisibility when I hit 7th...what I choose will depend on if I'm fighting NPC warlocks or other foes that have Devil's Sight.

House rules for the game gave an extra feat, so I have Warcaster and Booming Blade for a strong opportunity attack. I'll have to see if the game allows the higher-level versions of Improved Pact Weapon (Superior and Ultimate) from UA.

NecessaryWeevil
2020-02-25, 02:07 AM
Not really abusive in the sense of overpowered, but someone designed me an amusing character based around Revenant Blade.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?589649-Suggestions-Invited-The-D4-Master&highlight=d4+master