PDA

View Full Version : Artillerist cannon: number of activation

stoutstien
2020-01-18, 03:38 PM
Just looking for number of times players are getting per activation of each type of cannon.
I've left the post at the local asking the same question but I want to gather as many different experience as possible to get a better picture of the total range.

Also interested in hearing general consensus if players are getting roughly the expected use of each one or the 1 hour duration what is a larger limitation than expected.

Sigreid
2020-01-19, 02:16 PM
I don't have the book yet but I'd say if they don't call out a limit in the description there isn't one.

Smoothjedi
2020-01-19, 02:37 PM
I don't have the book yet but I'd say if they don't call out a limit in the description there isn't one.

I don't think he's really looking for a theoretical maximum. I believe he wants how many activations people have gotten out of them in practice.
I've only played one session with my level 4 artillerist that involved combat, but there were two battles that night. I was able to use it effectively to take out a swarm of troglodytes, ending the first combat pretty quickly. Second one had a tougher, single enemy I was able to use every round. All in all, I was able to dish out well over 100 damage on the one summon, so it felt pretty efficient.

MaxWilson
2020-01-19, 03:11 PM
Just looking for number of times players are getting per activation of each type of cannon.
I've left the post at the local asking the same question but I want to gather as many different experience as possible to get a better picture of the total range.

Also interested in hearing general consensus if players are getting roughly the expected use of each one or the 1 hour duration what is a larger limitation than expected.

According to my notes I think the average so far is about six cannon activations per cannon created, but that's a historical accident: it could have been different and might be different going forward.

THP cannon: around eight, plus pre-battle uses.
Flamethrower: around four if my notes + memory are correct.

I think they're getting the use expected, which is to say that like Conjure Animals they give players one more reason to press on instead of taking an hour's rest right now. But it depends also on the adventure design--I just happened to be running dungeon crawl-ey adventures.