PDA

View Full Version : Mitigate suffering + stigmata - does it work? Is it op? What cool things can be done

Heavenblade
2020-01-19, 06:22 AM
So Iv'e been trying to build a "tortured saint" type of character, and I stumbled upon these two feats.

The stigmata feat lets me deal myself con damage in order to heal my allies and help them overcome some debilitating conditions.

The mitigate suffering feat lets me, for durations of 10 minutes after each use, give myself back the lost ability points as temporary pts.

If I heal allies and then myself, and keep giving myself more TAP (temporary ability points), I can effectively keep healing all day, as long sa I make sure I always have time to recast before I run out of time.

My questions are

1-is this combo good, or is the risk too high?
2- If I take some ability damage and then heal it, and then use stignata again, is the CON damage taken from the TAP or the actual con score?
3- are there any ways to expand this combo/make it more optimized?

Antipositive
2020-01-19, 02:00 PM
Bind Naberius, allowing you to heal up your con damage very fast?

Edit: just read the feat, and Naberius doesn't help, sadly, and neither does Strongheart Vest.

ExLibrisMortis
2020-01-19, 05:38 PM
The feat is very unclear on the status of temporary ability points. However, it does seem to be the case that you can burn your temporary Constitution to fuel Stigmata, which gives you [half level plus two, round up] * [half that amount, round down] * [level of target] hit points of healing per use* with no drawback besides using up 1% of your standard actions until you restore your Constitution properly.

Two issues with Stigmata:
(1) Each use has to be on a different target.
(2) You can only activate the ability once per hour.

It's potentially quite a bit of healing per use, though. If you wanted to optimize this, you'd go with Circle Magic, and prepare a 20th-level restoration spell, giving you 22 temporary points of Constitution to work with. That'd let you heal someone for 11 times their level, which is probably pretty close to their full health.

*Hit points healed per Stigmata use, assuming straight cleric with their highest-level slot filled with a restoration spell, no free Heighten, using Stigmata for the maximum amount of TAP granted by Mitigate Suffering, on the maximum number of targets, each target being of the same level as the cleric:

1 -- 3 hp
3 -- 24 hp
5 -- 50 hp
7 -- 126 hp
9 -- 189 hp
11 -- 352 hp
13 -- 486
15 -- 750
17 -- 935
17 w/ +1 free Heighten -- 1224

Khatoblepas
2020-01-20, 11:32 PM
I've been thinking about it, and maybe the Shambling Mound can help. Polymorphing into one gives you points of constitution for every lightning attack levelled against you, so you could easily gain 600d4 Constitution in an hour. You then use all but one to activate Stigmata. Unfortunately you now have 600+ points of Con ability damage to deal with for an hour, but if you have a friendly Warforged who can Alter Self into a raggamoffyn and give you the Captured One template, you don't have to deal with it, since a Captured One isn't subject to ability score damage. Whether that means you're healed of your ability score damage or it just doesn't affect you, is up to debate.

It does give a nice visual, though. Bleeding profusely and having your companion hold you together as magical bandages while you heal. Once that hour is up you can heal that Con damage normally and the raggamoffyn can let go.

Darg
2020-01-21, 03:46 AM
(2) You can only activate the ability once per hour.

A heal check or any form of magical healing stops bleeding. So vigor works to stop the bleeding every round.

So using this tactic would let you store up uses and Naberius would let you heal your con after you are done.