PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Class Variant UA and the newest Ranger

Expected
2020-01-19, 07:37 PM
My Sorcadin died last night due to the Bard I mentioned in my threads a month or two ago and I need to reroll a level 3 character. I was thinking of either a Wood Elf AT Rogue relying on Cunning Action: Hide/Aim to abuse Elven Accuracy and crit fish or the Ranger using the Class Feature Variants UA (https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-ClassFeatures.pdf). I am mostly concerned with DPR and self-survivability (e.g. Cunning Action: Disengage+Action: Dash to save myself).

I have read all of the prominent class guides already and since this is a relatively new UA that greatly changes the class, most of the information I read was outdated. I have a few questions:

Which would have higher DPR between a ranged Rogue or Ranger of any subclass? What Ranger build/subclass has the highest reliable DPR by strictly following RAW?
Who has an easier time surviving combat if there is no tank, a Rogue or a Ranger? I imagine a 2 level dip in Rogue is a good idea for the Ranger for Cunning Action, am I correct?

Dork_Forge
2020-01-19, 08:40 PM
If your concern is consistent highish DPR then primary Rogue is the way to go, you can't really beat Sneak Attack for filling that role. A Ranger does very respectably in the DPR department (especially on a hxb SS build) thanks to Hunter's Mark and the various subclass damage boosts. In terms of survivability I'd give it to the Ranger just because of medium armor, Cure Wounds and the new Tireless ability allowing them to stack on a decent amount of temp hp throughout the day.

You couldn't really go wrong with going to Gloom Stalker Ranger 5 (taking Tireless and getting the most out of pumping Wisdom) and then switching over to Rogue for Sneak Attack, Cunning Action (for emergancies) and whatever subclass ability you want.

Expected
2020-01-19, 10:17 PM
Thank you for the good advice! I'll choose a ranged AT Rogue then. Is the AT level 20 school-free spell worth missing out on Fighting Style: Archery or a dip into UA Ranger for rover? How important is climb/swim speeds to Rogues?

Dork_Forge
2020-01-19, 10:26 PM
Thank you for the good advice! I'll choose a ranged AT Rogue then. Is the AT level 20 school-free spell worth missing out on Fighting Style: Archery or a dip into UA Ranger for rover? How important is climb/swim speeds to Rogues?

I don't think a school free spell is worth boosts that you could benefit from throughout the campaign. Climb and swim speeds can be VERY useful if your DM gives you the chance to use them, it's very campaign dependent. If you're only looking for a 1 level dip then I'd say go for Fighter and take Archery, if you're okay taking two levels then go UA Ranger taking Tireless and Archery. As an AT you'll appreaciate the boost to your slots/spells known and the slot free/concentration free Hunter's Mark can crank up your DPS to compensate for the lost sneak progression.

djreynolds
2020-01-20, 03:05 AM
I think a wood elf archer samurai is as good.

Sharpshooter on multiple attacks is better

You could run a samurai/rogue.

Fighting spirit and action surge and elven accuracy line up real well.

I would take 3-8 levels of samurai and the rest rogue.

Khrysaes
2020-01-20, 06:09 AM
If you are using UA, you could always see how your DM would let you combine them, if at all.

For example, a revised ranger with only the favored enemy from the variants would be pretty great as the Natural explorer of the revised ranger is quite strong.

Ranger stacks with rogue for spell casting, can get absorb elements, and at level 5 can get pass without a trace, which would be good for your rogue. You also get medium armor, martial weapons, 1 skill. You get some good suvivability with cure wounds, healing spirit, and good berry.

Otherwise, I would also recommend fighter, as 8 fighter/12 rogue gets a lot of ASI, and some good rogue abilities. Battlemaster maneuvers work with ranged weapons, and the snipe maneuver in the class variants asi can give you another ranged attack and chance for sneak attack.

Also nothing says you cant take both ranger and fighter levels.

paladinn
2020-01-20, 06:43 AM
I take it the campaign isn't AL-compliant? Because that shuts down a lot of your options.. You're limited to PHB+1 other book and No UA.

Expected
2020-01-20, 04:48 PM
I take it the campaign isn't AL-compliant? Because that shuts down a lot of your options.. You're limited to PHB+1 other book and No UA.

No, it's not AL-compliant. The setting is homebrewed (based on Faerun) but any resource book, including WotC UA, is allowed. Homebrew items, classes, races are not however and I prefer it that way.

I'll look into a Wood Elf Samurai Archer and see if the DM will allow different iterations of UA to be combined.

RogueJK
2020-01-20, 06:47 PM
You couldn't really go wrong with going to Gloom Stalker Ranger 5 (taking Tireless and getting the most out of pumping Wisdom) and then switching over to Rogue for Sneak Attack, Cunning Action (for emergancies) and whatever subclass ability you want.

An Archer Rogue benefits a bunch from at least 2 and no more than 5 levels in Ranger.

5 is good in general, but if you're going to be leaving heavily on the new UA Cunning Action Aim ability plus Elven Accuracy, then you won't benefit as much from Ranger 5's Extra Attack, since Aim only gets you advantage on one attack.

In your case, I'd look more at 2 if you just want the Archery Fighting Style and Hunter's Mark spell, 3 if you want the extra attacks and sneakiness of Gloomstalker or the extra damage dice of Hunter's Colossus Slayer ability, or 4 if you just really need that ASI sooner rather than later. (You'll want 20 DEX, Elven Accuracy, and Sharpshooter eventually.)

Your Ranger levels will stack with your Arcane Trickster levels for determining spell slots.

Yakk
2020-01-21, 10:16 AM
Level 3 The Revived rogue, 18 dex.

Cunning Action (aim), bolts from grave (2d6+3 with advantage), ready action on an enemy adjacent to an ally, triggered reaction (1d8+3+2d6).

24.5 at +5 to hit at level 3 is hard to beat. Damage scales at +3.5 per level. Bolts from Grave doesn't have items that boost it, and is short range.

Human SS gloomstalker with longbow: 3d8+26 (39.5), but at +2 to hit. At level 5 gains +17.5 damage, then levels off. 3 taps, so stat/item boosts go up. Damage falls off after first round.

Elven gloomstalker without SS: 16 dex 3d8+6. 19.5 at +7 to hit. At level 5 gains +7.5 damage, then levels off. 3 taps, so stat/item boosts go up. Damage falls off after first round.

RogueJK
2020-01-21, 02:49 PM
Level 3 The Revived rogue, 18 dex.

Cunning Action (aim), bolts from grave (2d6+3 with advantage), ready action on an enemy adjacent to an ally, triggered reaction (1d8+3+2d6). 24.5 at +5 to hit at level 3 is hard to beat.

Ooh, nice. I hadn't looked that close at this specific UA subclass, but just did. Bolts from the Grave plus Readied Actions certainly lets it abuse the action economy to boost its damage. Provided, of course, that your party is all on the same page tactically, and they ensure you always have ways to reliably trigger Sneak Attack on your readied attack each round.

Human SS gloomstalker with longbow: 3d8+26 (39.5), but at +2 to hit. At level 5 gains +17.5 damage, then levels off. 3 taps, so stat/item boosts go up. Damage falls off after first round.

Elven gloomstalker without SS: 16 dex 3d8+6. 19.5 at +7 to hit. At level 5 gains +7.5 damage, then levels off. 3 taps, so stat/item boosts go up. Damage falls off after first round.

Gloomstalker is better for burst damage on the first round, while a Hunter Ranger would be more constant over the course of a battle. Gloomstalker gets +2d8 in extra attack/damage on the initial round, while the Hunter's Colossus Slayer adds +1d8 damage every round (or at least every round after that enemy has already been injured by you or someone else.) So over the course of combat lasting longer than 2-3ish rounds, Hunter would come out ahead of Gloomstalker in overall potential damage output.

Also, the 3rd level Ranger's comparative damage gets a little better if you factor in Hunter's Mark, which as a Bonus Action means you're adding +1d6 to every attack from Round 1. It's basically a requirement to allow Rangers to attempt to keep up... So much so that the Variant Class Features UA actually made it a non-concentration class feature useable WIS MOD times per day, instead of just a spell.

However, on a multiclass Rogue/Ranger using Cunning Action Aim specifically, you'd have to choose: Give up your Advantage from Aim on whatever round you active Hunter's Mark, and on any subsequent turn in which you needed to move it to another target, in exchange for that extra 1d6 damage per attack. In many situations, especially at higher levels, losing out on the round of Sneak Attack would take too long to make up for Hunter's Mark to be worth it. But it'd still be a backup option, especially against lone tough enemies at lower levels when your Sneak Attack is still just a few d6s.

Yakk
2020-01-21, 03:00 PM
In a game with MC and feats and magic items, a rogue who doesn't get off-turn sneak attacks is going to do poor damage.

They get fewer taps (which leverage per-tap damage on magic items), no way to turn accuracy into damage (which leverage accuracy at higher levels and magic item accuracy), and their abilities don't multiply as well with other class dips (due to 1/turn limit).

Being able to tap sneak attack twice reasonably reliably makes a difference. So much so that in my homebrew rules, rogues get multiple reaction attack features as they gain levels (a riposte and a disruptive strike), so you don't have to feel you are cheesing them out.

RogueJK
2020-01-21, 03:16 PM
In a game with MC and feats and magic items, a rogue who doesn't get off-turn sneak attacks is going to do poor damage.

Being able to tap sneak attack twice reasonably reliably makes a difference.

Not to thread drift too much, but other than this new UA Revived subclass (or homebrew tinkering), how else could a Rogue get reliable off-turn Sneak Attacks while still attacking on their own turn?

Opportunity Attacks are an option, but very situational. Being the subject of a Haste spell to Attack + Ready an Attack is a better option, but requires Level 5+ with a party caster with access to Haste, plus that caster spending their spell slots and their Concentration. Or at least access to a reliable supply of Potions of Speed.

Even without adding in reliable off-turn damage, I don't really see Rogue players complaining about being underpowered. Instead, smartly-played Rogues appear to regularly put out a large chunk of damage.

Yakk
2020-01-21, 03:30 PM
A level 20 pure class rogue deals what, 1d8+10d6+8 damage?

Against 18 AC, something like 50 DPR.

Ok, get the cantrip booming blade for +3d8 as well. Another 15 DPR. 65 DPR.

Maybe a handful of DPR from offhand attack.

Meanwhile:

A half orc reckless Champion 11/Barbarian 9 with Polearm&GWM&25 str belt&flaming halbard deals:
3d10+1d4+8d6+40+28

115 from hits. 19% crit rate. Crit dice are 9d10+8d6+3d4 = 85, *.19 is 16.5 DPR from crits.

Against 18 AC, has +6+7-5 = +8 to hit, so hits on a 10+, or 80% of the time. So 108.5 DPR.

Different leagues.

In more vanilla 5e, your contestant is a 20 strength greatsword fighter with 8d6+20 damage; 48. The rogue does 1d8+10d6+5, which is 44.5. Very close.

Expected
2020-01-21, 03:38 PM
Not to thread drift too much, but other than this new UA Revived subclass (or homebrew tinkering), how else could a Rogue get reliable off-turn Sneak Attacks while still attacking on their own turn?

Opportunity Attacks are an option, but very situational. Being the subject of a Haste spell to Attack + Ready an Attack is a better option, but requires Level 5+ with a party caster with access to Haste, plus that caster spending their spell slots and their Concentration. Or at least access to a reliable supply of Potions of Speed.

Even without adding in reliable off-turn damage, I don't really see Rogue players complaining about being underpowered. Instead, smartly-played Rogues appear to regularly put out a large chunk of damage.
For ranged Rogues, the best method is Haste (cast by an ally or by you if you choose AT) using your hasted action to attack to apply Sneak Attack and your action to ready an attack. Use your bonus action to hide beforehand or use Aim if UA is available for advantage (triple advantage if Elf with Elven Accuracy) to proc SA. For the offturn SA, cast Find Familiar and choose the owl and have the trigger be when your owl grants you advantage.

For melee Rogues, Haste is useful, as mentioned above. Sentinel is an amazing feat for offturn SA but it competes with Uncanny Dodge and makes you the target. A Battle Master's Commanding Strike is useful for it, too.

RogueJK
2020-01-21, 04:03 PM

A half orc reckless Champion 11/Barbarian 9 with Polearm&GWM&25 str belt&flaming halbard deals:
3d10+1d4+8d6+40+28

In more vanilla 5e, your contestant is a 20 strength greatsword fighter with 8d6+20 damage; 48. The rogue does 1d8+10d6+5, which is 44.5. Very close.

Okay, so in 20th level super-optimized white room builds, sure. But even in a 20th level white room build, not every one of the Half Orc's multiple attacks will hit, whereas a Rogue with triple advantage on their lone attack is likely to land every one, and crit just as often.

I'm talking more about perception during actual play, where Rogues don't feel or appear underpowered. (Yeah, it's subjective... I know.) Rogues are certainly not underpowered to a degree that is noticeable as an observer or frustrating as a player. More in line with your "vanilla" 20th level comparison, with them keeping up with the dedicated martial classes nicely.

RogueJK
2020-01-21, 04:25 PM
A Battle Master's Commanding Strike is useful for it, too.

As is the Order Cleric's Voice of Authority feature.

Neither would be applicable every round, but both certainly present solid party synergies for occasional off-turn Sneak Attacks.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-01-21, 04:41 PM
Okay, so in 20th level super-optimized white room builds, sure. But even in a 20th level white room build, not every one of the Half Orc's multiple attacks will hit, whereas a Rogue with triple advantage on their lone attack is likely to land every one, and crit just as often.

I'm talking more about perception during actual play, where Rogues don't feel or appear underpowered. (Yeah, it's subjective... I know.) Rogues are certainly not underpowered to a degree that is noticeable as an observer or frustrating as a player. More in line with your "vanilla" 20th level comparison, with them keeping up with the dedicated martial classes nicely.

One thing people forget is that the other qeapon classes don't get the flexibility that comes with the Rogue.

Not in skills, just in actually getting to a target... The monk does enjoy this little bit of combat that people often ignore in white rooms.

Can't damage a creature if you can't get to it.

The Rogue, with daggers, also doesn't lose out anything by throwing them or going with a ranged weapon. Many other builds are melee OR ranged and have to pick one or the other. The Champion is even limited due to ability score madness. If the champion goes dex, many of the melee damage boosting options become out of their reach. The Barbarian has pretty much melee only options and if you go for the Eagle totem, you give up a lot of melee.

The Rogue has so much finesse on its design (not just combat, but its entire role and versitility) that im 99% sure it was mostly an accident. WotC hasn't shown this level of brilliance in class design elsewhere in 5e.

Rogues are the strongest non-casters in the game mostly due to be designed for a specific role. They are meant to support others by sneak attacking (kill stealing) and moving around the combat. The fighter hits 4 times and brings the target down to 25% health... Well the target ain't going to live another round because sneak attack is a witch.

Not only that, but withiut feat support, the barbarian and fighter at max strength can't reliably out Athletics a rogue with 13 strength.

Dork_Forge
2020-01-21, 05:48 PM

Against 18 AC, something like 50 DPR.

Ok, get the cantrip booming blade for +3d8 as well. Another 15 DPR. 65 DPR.

Maybe a handful of DPR from offhand attack.

Meanwhile:

3d10+1d4+8d6+40+28

115 from hits. 19% crit rate. Crit dice are 9d10+8d6+3d4 = 85, *.19 is 16.5 DPR from crits.

Against 18 AC, has +6+7-5 = +8 to hit, so hits on a 10+, or 80% of the time. So 108.5 DPR.

Different leagues.

Is there a reason why you loaded up the Barbarian here with magic items but apparently just gave the Rogue a +3 Rapier? If you went Inquisitive then you could get another 4d6 (could be 3, I'm AFB), you could also go for an Oathbow/Sharpshooter build for more damage. Build comparison issues aside I don't think you could ever fairly claim a Rogue does "poor damage" if they're getting Sneak reliably (which there's no reason they shouldn't be). They might not stand up to damage optimised builds but you can just optimise them for damage and even without they won't be too far behind.

Yakk
2020-01-21, 06:01 PM
80% vs 98% hit rate on 18 AC was already factored in. 3x advantage is 14% crit (3 pips); advantage + champion is 27%.(6 pips).

I just stacked 2 obvious feats (GWM/PAM), rage, stopped advancing barbarian when it sucked, then stacked fighter (champion) levels. Not "super optimized". I did give them a decent belt and weapon, but nothing legendary. The build works from 1 to 20 with decent power growth the entire time; 19 is a large power boost admittedly (3rd attack).

A more optimized version might do barb 8/gloomstalker 4/champion 4/monk 4, burn action surge, and open up with 8 attacks on round 1. That almost doubles the (first turn) DPR above (well over 200 DPR after including misses) and has less of a power plateau from 9 to 19, and has lots of fun toys.

My point isn't that rogues suck, it is that their level 3+ features don't mix well with other classes nor with feats. To make sneak attack deal "good" damage, you need to crit-fish and get a 2nd sneak attack in, and the rogue chassy doesn't help much with either.

Expired
2020-01-21, 06:26 PM
. . .My point isn't that rogues suck, it is that their level 3+ features don't mix well with other classes nor with feats. To make sneak attack deal "good" damage, you need to crit-fish and get a 2nd sneak attack in, and the rogue chassy doesn't help much with either.
Agreed. There is an opportunity cost of multi-classing because you'd lose 1d6 of Sneak Attack dice for every two levels that are not in Rogue. For some builds, this may work, but in my opinion, an optimized Rogue is a ranged Arcane Trickster and fishes for crits using Cunning Action: Hide/Aim (if UA is allowed) + Elven Accuracy + Haste (cast by an ally or self) + Find Familiar: Owl and does not take more than 1 level in any other class (Fighter is optimal for Fighting Style: Archery) so as to maximize Sneak Attack damage.

HiveStriker
2020-01-21, 06:45 PM
My Sorcadin died last night due to the Bard I mentioned in my threads a month or two ago and I need to reroll a level 3 character. I was thinking of either a Wood Elf AT Rogue relying on Cunning Action: Hide/Aim to abuse Elven Accuracy and crit fish or the Ranger using the Class Feature Variants UA (https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-ClassFeatures.pdf). I am mostly concerned with DPR and self-survivability (e.g. Cunning Action: Disengage+Action: Dash to save myself).

I have read all of the prominent class guides already and since this is a relatively new UA that greatly changes the class, most of the information I read was outdated. I have a few questions:

Which would have higher DPR between a ranged Rogue or Ranger of any subclass? What Ranger build/subclass has the highest reliable DPR by strictly following RAW?
Who has an easier time surviving combat if there is no tank, a Rogue or a Ranger? I imagine a 2 level dip in Rogue is a good idea for the Ranger for Cunning Action, am I correct?

Hi!

I'll strongly recommend the Ranger overall, especially if UA variant is allowed, for the following.

1. Higher DPR:
if you pick Swashbuckler, that one would actually be Rogue: main problem of Rogue is enabling advantage for Sneak Attack. Hiding as a bonus action is not always available, even at range. Swashbuckler circumvents that, although it requires to be in melee. But it also guards against OA from the enemy you attacked, so it's manageable.
There is also the Assassin subclass, but it's even more situational. For a solo character, in a campaign that is slowly unraveling, it can be a good choice. Otherwise, less so.

In all other situations, Ranger will actually be the better damage dealer for quite a few levels. Why?
a) No need for advantage (although that is always welcome): dual wielding or archery with plain Extra Attack soon after.
b) Spells: of course there is Hunter's Mark for the biggest target, but that's not the only thing: Ensnaring Strike can allow you to land more attacks by preventing enemy to get behind a cover or simply escape. But to be honest damage buff is actually not the forte of Ranger at least until 2nd level spells.
c) Archetype features: Hunter brings extra attack (easy if ranged, more complex in melee), Gloomstalker better Initiative and bonus attack on opening round, Horizon Walker force damage (on one attack only though but that does make some spells more compelling to use).

2. Easier time surviving: it's a tough call, depends much on level and resources. At low levels Rogue has an edge thanks to bonus action Dash/Disengage. Ranger is actually better in that department if using Zephyr's Strike, but that's a significant decision at low level when you have only 2 slots for the day.
At level 5 both bring decisive features: Rogue gets Uncanny Dodge which allows him to mitigate the risk of damage from one / two OAs (halving one, making the second survivable for example), so he can use bonus action on Dash. On the other side, Ranger gets two incredible spells: Spike Growth can easily save your hide if you're ranged (of course if enemy is already within your melee it's a different story ^^) and Healing Spirit means you can get full-life at least once, possibly twice a day (at least at that level).

3. Mixing Rogue and Ranger: although I strongly disagree with RogueJK on the assertion that Ranger 5 is all you want, those classes synergize with each other extremely well, although some combos work better than other.
Getting Ranger 5, then Rogue 2, then Ranger 9, then Rogue 3 would be my "by default" suggestion but some combos require something slightly different.

For example, Horizon Walker: the "make next attack force damage" is good but not memorable on a regular Ranger, except when he can boost it with a spell. Because it affects only one attack.
Well, surprise! Rogue is all about a powerful single attack. So for that build, you'll probably want to stop Ranger at 5 (safety belt of Extra Attack to land + misty Step), or even only 3 (going full ranged although you'll have to manage advantage generation, which makes Ensnaring Strike and Snare very valuable), and pair it with either Swashbuckler (melee) or any other (Thief being nice to set up safety traps around you if you snipe).

Assassin and Gloomstalker is another impressive combination: highest possible Sneak (Expertise + DEX + Pass Without Trace) + high probability of two full rounds before enemy acts (high Initiative with DEX and Gloomstalker bonus WIS) + big nova damage (Assassin = auto-advantage and auto-hit, Gloom = 10 feet more speed before even Longstrider AND an extra attack) makes it a powerful and versatile level 8-11 character (Assassin 3 / Ranger 5, then push Assassin to 5 for Uncanny Dodge or Ranger to 9 for spells).

Hunter and Swashbuckler can make you a big bad evil guy tank at high level: Giant Breaker, Multiattack Defense on one side, mobility and Uncanny Dodge on the other (and at Swash 9 taunt ability), gives you a significant margin to aggro powerful enemies without endangering yourself too much. Problem is that is a high level build.
You can reach something with the same spirit with Monster Slayer and Arcane Trickster: first for fluff and "knowledge" ability, and later decent bonus on saves, latter for Shield and Booming Blade mainly: Ranger 3 / Rogue 3 then Ranger 5.

As you can see, there is ample choice. And with UA variant allowing you to swap a Ranger spell every long rest, you should really embrace that opportunity to play a Ranger to the fullest... Or mix it with some Rogue awesomeness. :)

RogueJK
2020-01-21, 07:38 PM
main problem of Rogue is enabling advantage for Sneak Attack. Hiding as a bonus action is not always available, even at range.

However, the UA Cunning Action: Aim that the OP is planning to use solves that problem easily, and is almost always available.

Getting Ranger 5, then Rogue 2, then Ranger 9, then Rogue 3 would be my "by default" suggestion but some combos require something slightly different.

That Ranger9/Rogue3 could instead be a Ranger2/Rogue10 or Ranger3/Rogue9 and have +3d6 Sneak Attack every round (plus higher level Rogue features like Expertise, Evasion, etc., and an extra ASI if he went 2/10). And if he chose the Arcane Trickster subclass, he'd still have 2nd level spells (with a bonus spell slot and an extra 2-3 spells known from his Ranger levels).

I guess it would really come down to whether the OP wants to be more of a Sneaky Archer Ranger, with a bit more spellcasting but only a little Sneak Attack, or a Nature-y Archer Rogue, with a bit less spellcasting (no 3rd level slots) but a lot more Sneak Attack and class features.

So for that build, you'll probably want to stop Ranger at 5 (safety belt of Extra Attack to land + misty Step

As mentioned above, Extra Attack won't help as much with a Sneak Attack Archer, since Cunning Action Aim only grants that advantage on one attack, and Sneak Attack only applies to one attack. And with Elven Accuracy granting Triple Advantage, that one attack each round is almost certain to hit. No need for that second attack; you'll want the additional Rogue levels instead.

djreynolds
2020-01-21, 08:30 PM
Here is the tough thing with archers.

You know you only need to max out dex, grab SS, and maybe skulker.

I like CBE... But not enough. It's basically a bonus action for extra 1d6+dex a round, maybe 1d6 for hunters mark

Now I recommend basing your build on

1 attack, 2 attacks, 3 attacks.

1 attack is something like 17 rogue/ 3x usually battlemaster or hunter ranger... you get 5 feats. This build doesn't SS but ignoring cover types is nice.

2 attacks is best with 5-8 ranger IMO. A pinch of fighter and rogue.

3 attacks is fighter 11, dash of ranger, rest rogue. This about landing SS. The rest is making you a great scout

I know players like find familiar but you can get this from magic initiate or even the party wizard can tell his owl to "help" the rogue/archer.

This is why I like battlemaster for precision or samurai for fighting spirit...

For ranger, the new UA variant beast of the air... pretty nice. As are hunter and gloomstalkers.

Any rogue works. But I like scout if even for the extra skills

Good luck