PDA

View Full Version : 3.P: What illusion spells would be used to disguise a creature as another creature?

Aotrs Commander
2020-01-20, 11:49 AM
Basically, I'm running a low-level (homebrew) game, which is sort of haunted village. I want to have a creature (a Doomstinger, which is basically a sort of giant wasp), under the illusion of being a scarier creature (a Brontoscorpio - prehistorical scoprion, the sting of the contemporary species of which on this campaign world are well-known as being absolutely murderously lethal to vertebrates1). Both creatures are the same size (Medium).

Said wasp creature (itself under a Feeblemind spell as Doomstingers are normally technically intelligent (in the sense they are smart enought to be REALLY stupid...) will be grounded and acting as it was a Brontoscorpio; this odd behavior if the PCs enter combat with it - not attacking with the primary or secondary claws perhaps being an indicator that it's not what it seems. (Also the fact that when it stings someone, that they don't immeditely die should be a bit of a give-away...!)

The PCs are likely just below or only just at the level they can get Dispel Magic, so it might be a moot point, but it would be nice to not totally fiat it for the sake of arguement.

(Level of spell doesn't matter - they won't actually be encountering the caster, just what he/she left behind.)

1Specifically of Fort save or death on first sting, plus Fort save verses D6 con Drain (D4 Con drain on a pass). They are NASTY.

SimonMoon6
2020-01-20, 12:24 PM
Disguise Self?

Or if someone else has to do the casting: Disguise Other.

RatElemental
2020-01-20, 12:41 PM
Recorporeal Incarnation is pretty high level, but can be made permanent by raw. Also has no magic aura with the only tell being the disguised creature needing to have the focus somewhere on their person.

Not exactly an illusion though, it's more like wearing a corpse.

sleepyphoenixx
2020-01-20, 12:44 PM
The only illusion spell i know of that can do what you want is Veil.
The players will get will saves when they attack it or are attacked though.

Disguise Self?

Or if someone else has to do the casting: Disguise Other.

Disguise Self doesn't allow changes that extreme. Seeming is "as Disguise Self" so it won't work either. You have to retain your general body shape.

Aotrs Commander
2020-01-21, 11:04 AM
Disguise Self doesn't allow changes that extreme. Seeming is "as Disguise Self" so it won't work either. You have to retain your general body shape.

Yeah, on consideration, it's just not quite good enough. Both creatures are the same type, so there's that, but have different limb set-ups.

The only illusion spell i know of that can do what you want is Veil.
The players will get will saves when they attack it or are attacked though.

Hmm. I think I can work with that; they'll only be level 3/4 (not 4/5, I looked at their character sheets last night, mt bad), so a Will save of DC 23 or so (rolled by me secretly) ought to be hard enough to make that it won't be instantly apparent, and I can modify that (down) by the other clues they'll start to pick up if they go to fight it. (The fact it doesn't use it's claws, close examination of the footprints shows they're all wrong, the fact that Acid Damage happens and not Insta-Gibb poison if they do get stung, etc.)

Miss Disaster
2020-01-21, 11:28 AM
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/disguise-other/

Have you seen this Pathfinder spell? Seems like an ideal match ...

Jack_Simth
2020-01-21, 12:28 PM
Veil will do it.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/v/veil/