PDA

View Full Version : Maybe not the “best” but favorites

ZorroGames
2020-01-21, 09:44 AM
Just a post as I think about where my D&D gaming is going in 2020. No right or wrong, just pleasant rambling about favorites in most to least order of those I played.

Feel free to post your favorites per edition of D&D.

OD&D aka 0D&D
Human Cleric
Human Fighter
Dwarf (it was a class, not a race,) usually Fighter but we created a Dwarf Cleric PC
Human Ranger
Wizard (one, female human)
Illusionist (different class originally, one)

AD&D
Human Fighter
Dwarf Fighter
Human Ranger
Dwarf Cleric
Human Monk
Human Cleric

AD&D, second edition
So, so many subclasses of Dwarf. That was it.

Skip editions because raising kids, divorce, remarriage, return to college post military, divorce, remarriage (finally did it right,) and move for Federal service career.

And now 5e, still learning many different classes. Too many to list in order this morning, real world calls.
Mountain Dwarf Multi-classes, several of widely varying styles. Too many to list in order this morning, real world calls.
Forest Gnome multi-class Wizard/Cleric
Mountain Dwarf Wizard
Mountain Dwarf Fighter
Mountain Dwarf Monk
Mountain Dwarf Ranger (newest, so may move up or down over time)
Variant Human Ranger
Variant Human Enchanter (all the role players changed groups and only murder hoboes and myself remain)
Rock Gnome Wizard
Mountain Dwarf Barbarian (Elk totem)

Expired
2020-01-23, 03:36 AM
I've only played 5e so here are mine:
Half-Elf (Drow) Sorcadin of Eilistraee
Variant Human Cleric of Ilmater
Wood Elf Rogue with the Criminal or Urchin background
Variant Human Barbarian of Tempus
Variant Human/Wood Elf Shepherd Druid of Silvanus

carrdrivesyou
2020-01-23, 11:11 AM
3.5:
My favorite was Human (Dragonborn of Bahamut) Dragon Shaman. Typically Copper totem. Chaotic Good times were had, the party rocked, and metabreath feats were a wonderful thing.
2nd place was my Warforged Sorcerer named Screech. For some reason he kept getting eaten by things bigger than he was.

Pathfinder:
1st place goes to my swashbuckler Zatara. Dude was a super persuasive drunk that was basically the anti-rogue. Charging line of cavalry? Stand in front of it. Corrupt guards arrest us in the market? Fight them. Everyone ducks and covers from the wizard fireball? Block it with my fancy cape.
Runner up would be my Paladin of Iomedae. Great build with Fey Foundling, and a real party hero. He never kept up in terms of damage with the fighter or the wizard, but he wasn't a slouch either. Typically he cast buff spells and used LoH to fix conditions on the fly. More healer than warrior.

5e:
Tough call here, but 1st place goes to my shadow monk. Custom system with a bunch of decked out gear. He was an evil boi, but the party druid turned him good.
2nd place would be...my celestial warlock. Started out as a thought experiment on how many cantrips a character could get, but settled for 10 by level 6. He's a grumpy old bast***, but he's a party favorite for entertainment

Devils_Advocate
2020-03-03, 06:02 PM
I've actually spent a fair bit of time thinking about what the most "iconic" or "archetypal" characters would be, largely because I really enjoy matching up sets of things. While there are obviously far more traits than those given to be determined for each, the list that follows seems like a good starting point. Characters are listed in the rough order in which races, classes, and subclasses have been introduced.

Alignment

Race
Background
Class

Lawful Neutral
Mountain Dwarf
Guild Merchant
Champion Fighter

Lawful Evil
Human
Sage
Evoker Wizard