PDA

View Full Version : Rift: War of Coalition Vs Quebec

SolkaTruesilver
2007-10-21, 10:59 PM
Hi there, I just began learning about Rift, and I find the story line - while excessively heavy, and sometimes cheesy - quite entertaining.

I especially enjoyed reading the book of Free Quebec (being a pure Québécois myself), where it states the military capability of that state, and it's war readiness (and also philosophical approach) agains the Coalition - which is planning to take back it's broke-out state -.

I am wondering, if you know of the subjet, what is your analysis of the situation, what have been the good/bad moves on both sides, to whom lay the blame of the conflict, what strategies seems to be good/bad moves, and what is your predicted outcome of this conflict?

I am also specially interested in your opinion about Quebec's GB capability, which is somewhat... superior to anything the Coalition can field. The GB are plainly a superior asset, and Quebec'S large diversity of those units will perhaps balance out versus the technologically superior equipment of the Coalition.

Not counting the Navy, which is plainly dominating the Coalition's.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-10-22, 06:52 AM
I haven't kept up on any kind of Rifts fluff since after the Chi-town VS. Tolkeen war. Last I heard Paladium Rifts is kind of defunct. Do you have a fluff source? The coalition won the Tolkeen war, but took heavy losses. If Free Quebec decided to attack right after that war, they could probably win.

Riffington
2007-10-22, 07:37 AM
Kevin will never let the Coalition be destroyed. It is the most interesting part of the game - a racist evil empire that is nevertheless humanity's only hope for survival.

SolkaTruesilver
2007-10-22, 07:57 AM
I haven't kept up on any kind of Rifts fluff since after the Chi-town VS. Tolkeen war. Last I heard Paladium Rifts is kind of defunct. Do you have a fluff source? The coalition won the Tolkeen war, but took heavy losses. If Free Quebec decided to attack right after that war, they could probably win.

Well, in World Book 22 : Free Quebec, they present Quebec's military, and the reason behind the war.

In short, Coalition are not happy with the independant-minded Quebec governement, who wants it'S own set of rules (ex: no dogboys, juicers allowed, Glitterboys rather than standard Coalition army) and asked for the Glitter Boy to be outlawed. The Quebec answered by declaring independance against Coalition.

Off course, the emperor, in it's all-mighty ego, told that no one separates from the CS, and declared war upon Quebec, declaring it a Traitor State.

Quebec is resolved in not firing the first shot.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-10-22, 08:05 AM
Ok, looks like I didn't miss anything. I'm wondering how long it'll take the Coalition to get back up to full strength... If I were Lazlo, I'd start shoring up my defenses.

Was there ever any fluff Triax and the NGR other than the worldbook? They were kind of like the Coalition, except they have more of a reason to be pro-human (what's the term for non-human? I'll have to look through the books again...) since they were fighting an uphill battle against the gargoyles from the start. They were buddy-buddy with Free Québec since they gave them access to glitterboy technology.

SolkaTruesilver
2007-10-22, 08:12 AM
Ok, looks like I didn't miss anything. I'm wondering how long it'll take the Coalition to get back up to full strength... If I were Lazlo, I'd start shoring up my defenses.

Was there ever any fluff Triax and the NGR other than the worldbook? They were kind of like the Coalition, except they have more of a reason to be pro-human (what's the term for non-human? I'll have to look through the books again...) since they were fighting an uphill battle against the gargoyles from the start. They were buddy-buddy with Free Québec since they gave them access to glitterboy technology.

NGR improved the Glitterboy-making technologie, and give the now upgraded (and badass) GB to Quebec. And to add it, they mass-produced an entire army of GB to give it to Quebec, as a thanks. But the alliance between them is now shaky, because the NGR doesn't want to upset too much the Coalition...

Quebec officialy was saying that it had only 300 Glitter Boy. The historians right now think that it's way higher, more like 800. While the Coalition military tacticians think it would be more like 5000. The historian who is writing the story says it's more like 8000.

The true number is 14000, not counting the new GB variations, and the 4000 the NGR will deliver in less than 2 years

there is the new Triax-improved GB in the book, and about 3-4 new GLitter Boy Quebec invented. the Glitter-girl is nice, but I prefer the GB with the Rimouski weapon upgrade, making it a lot more versatile.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-10-22, 08:23 AM
I think the only time I saw any of FR's 'new' glitterboy technology was in the card game (glitter scouts, glitter girl, etc...)a few years back. I'm definately going to have to read through those books again.

Also, I saw some new Rifts releases at my local gaming store, but thought that the Rifts line was over. Are they still creating Rifts supplements?

kjones
2007-10-22, 01:13 PM
Wait, I thought that Coalition juicers were a military secret. Or did that change after the Juicer Uprising in book 10? Or is this detailed elsewhere?

Man, Rifts kicks ass.

TheSteelRat
2007-10-22, 04:30 PM
Palladium: Really awesome fluff... Really bad rules systems without massive, massive doses of house rules.

As for a Free Quebec vs. Coalition States, I think there's some of that covered in the Free Quebec book, Coalition Wars book, and maybe some in the Tolkien Wars series.

Edit: That, and numerically inconsistent, especially with populations.

MrNexx
2007-10-22, 06:23 PM
You might say I've kept up with it (I write for Palladium as a freelancer though, ironically, Free Quebec is one of the books I don't own).

The essential story is this:

The Coalition (mainly the State of Chi-town, supported by Missouri and Lone Star, with some industrial support from Iron Heart) began a "hot" war against Tolkeen. Once the war was well underway, Chi-town started calling on Free Quebec to provide more support, to which FQ said "No thanks" and broke its official alliance with the Coalition... didn't start a war, but withdrew from the Coalition, proper. Chi-town started a brief war about this, but it didn't go anywhere... they quickly realized that they couldn't maintain a two-front war, and so let Free Quebec go.

Currently, they're at something of an uneasy truce. Both have trade alliances with the NGR, but Free Quebec is a lot closer to them. They've also got less enemies, though they're more exposed to the Splugorth attacking through the Maritimes.

The most recent book dealing directly with this is "Aftermath".

SolkaTruesilver
2007-10-22, 11:01 PM
Once the war was well underway, Chi-town started calling on Free Quebec to provide more support, to which FQ said "No thanks" and broke its official alliance with the Coalition...

Not what I read. Quebec was already upsetting the Emperor by outlawing the dogboys on it's territory, refusing to have a "standarized" coalition military in favor of Glitter boys, and using legalized Juicers in their army (Quebec has a standarized procedure for legal Juicers, but strictly controlled. Illegal juicers are still hunted).

When the Emperor learned of the deal between Quebec and NGR, it demanded that Quebec scrapped all it's GB. since the Glitter-boys have a huge cultural importance in Quebec, Quebec's governement flattly refused an order from the Emperor, and voted for secession.

didn't start a war, but withdrew from the Coalition, proper. Chi-town started a brief war about this, but it didn't go anywhere... they quickly realized that they couldn't maintain a two-front war, and so let Free Quebec go.

WARNING: SPOILERS

In the last book of Coalition Wars (i think #6), you learn that eventually, Tolkeen asked Quebec if they wanted an alliance between them to beat the CS. (I think the double-front was too big for the CS, and they started to loose on both sides). Quebec accepted, and the original plan was that Tolkeen would supply an army of 2000 surpernatural mages/creatures (I heard it's a LOT) to be the spearhead of a major offensive on the FQ's front.

The idea was that the CS would never be prepared to an attack of combined high-tech and magical forces. So it was not 2000, but SIX THOUSANDS creatures who joined FQ's task force. It prepared itself to attack the Coalition, to deal a huge blow..

When FQ's task force of 3200 peoples (2000 SAMAS, 1200 Glitter boys) opened fire on Tolkeen's force, causing panic among the magical troopers. FQ's military leadership contacted the Coalition army, asking it to stop firing, and allow Quebec's reinforcement to attack the magical bastards.

The Coalition flattly refused. They said "We can come in faster than your boys", and CS attaked Tolkeen's forces, taking in pincer. The magical troopers eventually retreated, but the toll..

Of the original 3200 powered armors, only 1300 were left standing, and they were not in good shape. It was a massacre. Quebec's boys held an heroic struggle, but they got beaten hard. It was said that Coalition veterans wept when they walked trough the dead bodies of quebeckers.

Immediatly, the Emperor declared:

"How blind must I have been, not to realize that we fight our
bothers at Quebec. Advisors among our military appealed to me
on Free Quebec's behalf, but I would not hear them. Only now
do I realize that these fellow humans would rather die to defend
their enemy than let evil monsters destroy their fellow man. I am
ashamed to have ever sent gun or sword against such stalwart
champions of humanity. And... I beg for their forgiveness.
"From this day forward, the Coalition States recognizes Free
Quebec as an independent and sovereign nation. The equal to
the great and noble Coalition States, and, dare I hope, an eternal
ally in our battle to destroy all that is inhuman and evil. I
bend my knee in humility and raise an open hand in friendship
to the people and government of Free Quebec and hope they
will accept it.
"Even as I speak to you this evening, CS troops are being
withdrawn from Quebec and being sent directly to face the true
enemy in Minnesota."

Now, free of the Quebec's front, the CS turned it's full attention against Tolkeen, and crushed it.

MrNexx
2007-10-23, 05:50 PM
Not what I read. Quebec was already upsetting the Emperor by outlawing the dogboys on it's territory, refusing to have a "standarized" coalition military in favor of Glitter boys, and using legalized Juicers in their army (Quebec has a standarized procedure for legal Juicers, but strictly controlled. Illegal juicers are still hunted).

When the Emperor learned of the deal between Quebec and NGR, it demanded that Quebec scrapped all it's GB. since the Glitter-boys have a huge cultural importance in Quebec, Quebec's governement flattly refused an order from the Emperor, and voted for secession.

Those were some initial things, from the main book, that was making Chi-town upset, but they didn't actually cause the rift between the two. FQ had actually "outlawed" Juicers (really, just moved them to the ruins of Montreal).

WARNING: SPOILERS

I think the books are old enough you can save on the spoilers. ;-)