PDA

View Full Version : Find Steed Questions

nickl_2000
2020-01-22, 09:56 AM
Can you dismiss a "found" steed and re-summon like a familiar without recasting the spell?
If you equip a steed with barding or armor and dismiss/re-summon does the armor stay with them?
Same as above, but if they "die" and you re-summon them.
If they stick around, do they need food/water/a place to stay?

Chad.e.clark
2020-01-22, 10:06 AM
Can you dismiss a "found" steed and re-summon like a familiar without recasting the spell?
If you equip a steed with barding or armor and dismiss/re-summon does the armor stay with them?

1. You can dismiss as an action, and must cast the spell again, either bringing the same steed back or bringing an entirely new steed around this time.

2.I would say this is DM dependent. I would allow equipment to stay with the steed.

3. Same as #2, DM dependent.

4. I have never ran into this as a problem in a campaign. A 5th level paladin should not be in a position to ever have to stress about food for himself or his steed.

nickl_2000
2020-01-22, 10:39 AM
4. I have never ran into this as a problem in a campaign. A 5th level paladin should not be in a position to ever have to stress about food for himself or his steed.

Sure, if you are in a city you should be able to afford it without a problem. if you are travelling over land or in a dungeon the availability of food and water for a 2200 pound beast isn't an issue of cost as much as an issue of logistics.

nickl_2000
2020-01-22, 10:48 AM
Also:
5. If I cast searing smite on the Horse and myself how is concentration handled? Does both the horse and my paladin keep concentration on their "version" of searing smite?
6. Follow up, if the Paladin concentrates on both versions. What happens if the Paladin triggers the spell in round 1 but the horse misses it's attack? Does the Paladin still keep concentrating?

da newt
2020-01-22, 12:17 PM
I believe the following are RAW

1 - no, you can dismiss it, but must recast to summon it back
2 - no, the steed is a spirit that takes the form of a steed when you summon it, the barding is a real material thing that remains
3 - no
4 - no - it's not a horse, its a spirit in the form of a horse
5 - smite requires a melee weapon attack - I don't think your steed can make a melee weapon attack
6 - NA

diplomancer
2020-01-22, 12:30 PM

5. If I cast searing smite on the Horse and myself how is concentration handled? Does both the horse and my paladin keep concentration on their "version" of searing smite?
6. Follow up, if the Paladin concentrates on both versions. What happens if the Paladin triggers the spell in round 1 but the horse misses it's attack? Does the Paladin still keep concentrating?[

1- No.
2- up to DM, JC said in a tweet "That's up to the DM. As DM, I'd have any gear on the steed drop to the ground when the steed disappears."
3- also up to DM.
4- up to DM
5- shared spells between Rider and Steed are a mess that is mostly up to the DM, though there are a lot of (contradictory) rulings by JC about it. But your steed CAN make a melee weapon attack as long as you are not controlling it (as in the mounted combat controlled mount rules), since a melee weapon attack is not the same thing as an attack with a melee weapon.
6- also up to DM. For myself, I would probably let the spell duplicate, but the Paladin has to keep the concentration, though he can concentrate on both effects (notice that, for most of the smite spells, the concentration is not so much to keep the spell until you hit the enemy, but to keep the added effects ongoing afterwards).

nickl_2000
2020-01-22, 12:54 PM
Well at least 1/6 questions have an easy answer. 17% isn't bad I guess.

JackPhoenix
2020-01-22, 02:36 PM

It isn't. Searing Smite (and all other x Smite spells) targets another creature, so it can't be shared with the steed.

6. Follow up, if the Paladin concentrates on both versions. What happens if the Paladin triggers the spell in round 1 but the horse misses it's attack? Does the Paladin still keep concentrating?

See above.

nickl_2000
2020-01-22, 03:01 PM
It isn't. Searing Smite (and all other x Smite spells) targets another creature, so it can't be shared with the steed.

See above.

Not it doesn't. Searing Smites has a range of self, isn't that the definition of targeting self? Then within the next minute if you hit someone something else happens

JackPhoenix
2020-01-23, 01:20 AM
Not it doesn't. Searing Smites has a range of self, isn't that the definition of targeting self? Then within the next minute if you hit someone something else happens

No. Range has little to do with what the spell targets, you have to actually read the spell's text for that. While most self-range spells only target the casters, there are many that don't: AoEs originating from the caster, like Thunderwave or Cone of Cold, Pass Without Trace, and all Smite spells, for example. Searing Smite even refers to creature hit as target.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't share Searing Smite with your steed: the shared spell can be capable of targetting other creatures, it only has to target only you when you share it. All you have to do is to hit yourself and set yourself on fire.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-01-23, 01:43 AM
No. Range has little to do with what the spell targets, you have to actually read the spell's text for that. While most self-range spells only target the casters, there are many that don't: AoEs originating from the caster, like Thunderwave or Cone of Cold, Pass Without Trace, and all Smite spells, for example. Searing Smite even refers to creature hit as target.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't share Searing Smite with your steed: the shared spell can be capable of targetting other creatures, it only has to target only you when you share it. All you have to do is to hit yourself and set yourself on fire.

That make total sense.

You can only use you class features as a joke or to kill yourself.

OP.
There is a huge argument, one aide say it is allowed, the other say it isn't. Ask your DM because non is right because this edition was written to have no clear rules so their are a lot of arguments like this.

I see nowhere that after the trigger you stop concentration on the spell if you hit the attack(unless you want the target not to burn).

JackPhoenix
2020-01-23, 03:01 AM
OP.
There is a huge argument, one aide say it is allowed, the other say it isn't. Ask your DM because non is right because this edition was written to have no clear rules so their are a lot of arguments like this.

That is patently false. There is a lot of clear rules, even though the GM is allowed to change them however they want.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-01-23, 03:49 AM
That is patently false. There is a lot of clear rules, even though the GM is allowed to change them however they want.

I am compering it to systems where you have clear definition for terms.

I see a lot of rules with multiple meanings that doesn't work together. To many things open to interpretation and things like this.
I see this as no clear rules. 5e may be to much 'mother may I?' IMO but I still enjoy it and think it is a good system but the rules and the way they are written are bad.

GrumpyHobbit
2020-01-23, 11:30 AM
That make total sense.

You can only use you class features as a joke or to kill yourself.

how is enlarging or misty stepping a joke or killing yourself?! just because you cant smite with your mount doesnt make the feature a joke…
btw class Features - find steed is NOT a class feature, ist a spell...

Reevh
2020-01-23, 11:34 AM
Sure, if you are in a city you should be able to afford it without a problem. if you are travelling over land or in a dungeon the availability of food and water for a 2200 pound beast isn't an issue of cost as much as an issue of logistics.

Eh, it's a celestial, fey, or fiend. I'm pretty OK with it not eating.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-01-23, 12:26 PM
how is enlarging or misty stepping a joke or killing yourself?! just because you cant smite with your mount doesnt make the feature a joke…
btw class Features - find steed is NOT a class feature, ist a spell...

It was in blue text. It means it should not be taken seriously.

And spell casting is a class feature, find steed is a paladin only spell.

JackPhoenix
2020-01-23, 01:12 PM

Unlike class features, however, spells are accessible to others without multiclassing. There's bard, and Ring of Spell Storing is one of the most useful magic items in DMG.

Chronos
2020-01-24, 10:15 AM
But you're ALWAYS the only target when you cast Searing Smite (i.e., at the time when you'd be sharing it). You don't have to choose who you're smiting when you cast a smiting spell. That happens later, when you use a completely separate action to make an attack. Now, in practice, that's usually immediately afterwards in the very same turn, but it doesn't have to be: You could cast it because you expect an enemy around the corner, some time in the next minute, and you have something else you want to use your bonus action on in combat.

GrumpyHobbit
2020-01-26, 10:53 AM
It was in blue text. It means it should not be taken seriously.

my bad didn't catch that