PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Reincarnation via polymorph

EkulNagrom
2020-01-22, 04:37 PM
This is just an idea I had, and I want some other DM's opinions on it. Granted, my own DM may veto it, but I still would like some outside opinions before I take it to him. Just to see if it's actually viable.

Polymorph has always been a favorite spell of mine, but I recently had a really strange idea. What if you turned someone (or yourself, somehow) into an egg? Then that egg hatches, let's say into a chicken. What happens when the spell ends? Does the chicken turn back into it's original form? Does the eggshell turn into the original form and the chicken is left unaffected? Does the egg and chicken together turn back into themselves or into a sloppy, separated mess?

It's not real reincarnation, like the spell. This idea would be restricted to animals that lay eggs. But it's still a fun idea, maybe not to be used on oneself, but as a way to make normal polymorph even more stupid than it already is.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Brookshw
2020-01-22, 05:23 PM
Setting aside your questions for the moment, can you please point me to the entry where an egg has the beast type?

Nagog
2020-01-22, 06:24 PM
Setting aside your questions for the moment, can you please point me to the entry where an egg has the beast type?

Considering I have never heard tell of a Chicken stat block, and yet they undoubtably exist in the various D&D settings, I believe the question we're looking for is if the Egg is in fact alive in a similar matter to the Chicken it later grows into. If you take it out of the fictitious universe, you can refer to the debates on whether abortion is ethical based on where in the fetus' development life starts. If it's at conception/fertilization of the egg, then it could be considered a Beast. If not, does that change when the shell is shed, or once the chick is fully formed but still unhatched?

So the debate really comes down to, Does your DM think Abortion is murder?

kazaryu
2020-01-22, 10:45 PM
Considering I have never heard tell of a Chicken stat block, and yet they undoubtably exist in the various D&D settings, I believe the question we're looking for is if the Egg is in fact alive in a similar matter to the Chicken it later grows into. If you take it out of the fictitious universe, you can refer to the debates on whether abortion is ethical based on where in the fetus' development life starts. If it's at conception/fertilization of the egg, then it could be considered a Beast. If not, does that change when the shell is shed, or once the chick is fully formed but still unhatched?

So the debate really comes down to, Does your DM think Abortion is murder?

Thats a false equivalency. The egg is not genetically part of the chicken. It would be analagous to the womans womb. The yolk/white of the egg makes up the chicken. Regardless, if you polymorph into the chick that would be inside the egg just before hatching, what difference does it make if youre inside or outside of an egg? Why would that change the duration of the polymorph?

EkulNagrom
2020-01-22, 11:22 PM
Thats a false equivalency. The egg is not genetically part of the chicken. It would be analagous to the womans womb. The yolk/white of the egg makes up the chicken. Regardless, if you polymorph into the chick that would be inside the egg just before hatching, what difference does it make if youre inside or outside of an egg? Why would that change the duration of the polymorph?

I didn't think it would change the duration. I guess I'm more curious as to if you think the eggshell would transform back with the chick. Regardless, it's a strange question that doesn't really need an answer. I'm just curious as to what other people think.

And, if it lengthened the spell, then I don't know anyone that wouldn't pass up on some cheese.