PDA

View Full Version : Gesalt Warblade X Scout - Tiger claw Advice needed

Nosta
2020-01-22, 06:21 PM
so I have a character idea of a feral Character who leaps in to the air and dose a butt ton of damage

I could use some advice on his feats and stats

and maybe race

Aegis013
2020-01-23, 12:29 AM
I'd consider an Arctic Kobold (Unearthed Arcana) for your race. You're small, but still with 30ft base land speed, but the real appeal of the race are the benefits in the Kobold web enhancement.

They get three natural natural attacks to start and an ability called slight build which makes the tiger claw jumping maneuvers more applicable as you can use them even against small foes. This opens you up for multiattack feat line, and if you take the ever debated dragonwrought feat for it's non-cheese functions, you can qualify for rapidstrike feats later in your career. Pair with mongoose boosts (check with your DM to make sure claws are fine to use for these) to make a bunch attacks.

The Arctic Kobold stats are a little rough, but they're the best of the Kobold stats for this, imo: -2 str, +2 dex, -2 con, -2 wis. Your choice if you go for strength or dex as your attack stat.

I'd prioritize whichever stat you choose to focus on as your attack stat: either str or dex as highest priority (dex is ok since you can output damage with skirmish and maneuvers instead of str, just takes another feat for weapon finesse), followed equally by con and int, for HP and warblade features. Wis and your non attack physical stat next. Cha can be dumped since it has no synergy with your classes.

For 32 pt buy maybe 12 are, 16 dex and con, 14 int, 10 Wis and 8 Cha before racials.
10/18/14/14/8/8 after.

It may also be worth considering a 2 level dip into Totemist (Magic of Incarnum) as it can potentially get you even more claw attacks to add to your routine. Or a number of other useful benefits depending on how you play it and warblade doesn't suffer much from dips.

Hopefully this is helpful and in line with your vision.

gorfnab
2020-01-26, 11:17 PM
May require some DM approval...how about using the Beguiler from Shining South as your race? It's a +0 LA Magical Beast with claws, bite, and rake for natural attacks. Throw in a level of Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian for pounce and a level of Soul Eater for level draining natural attacks.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-01-27, 02:29 PM
Maybe use Totemist instead of Scout, or take both but prioritize getting the Totemist abilities you need to get a ton of natural attacks.

A.A.King
2020-01-28, 10:35 AM
Here's a suggestion for the first 10 class levels (after this it's just more of the same)

01. Ranger 1 / Anything 1
02. Ranger 2 / Anything 2
03. Scout 1 / Warblade 1
04. Scout 2 / Warblade 2
05. Scout 3 / Warblade 3
06. Scout 4/ Warblade 4
07. Ranger 3 / Bloodclaw Master 1
08. Ranger 4 / Bloodclaw Maser 2
09. Scout 5 / Warblade 5
10. Scout 6 / Warblade 6

This assumes you're starting at atleast level 3, if you start at level 1 you'll probably want to take Warblade 1 / Scout 1 first then move on to a 2 level ranger dip

The idea of taking 2 Ranger levels before entering Warblade is to delay Warblade 4 long enough that you can pick up the Leaping Dragon Stance at level 6 (the earliest you can get it without spending a feat). That stance is almost a requirement if you want to focus mainly on Tiger Claw. One or more Ranger levels also allows you to pick up the Swift Hunter feat which makes your scout levels even more useful by making them progress Favoured Enemy and it makes your skirmish more useful because your favored enemies can no longer be immune to its extra damage. Finally, Ranger levels give you free access to Bloodclaw Master (by giving the required feat as a bonus feat) and allow you to dip into Bloodclaw Master without having to give up Base Attack Bonus OR Skirmish progression. Taking two levels of Bloodclaw Master is of course great because for Tiger Claw weapons it removes the -2 penalty for fighting with two weapons AND makes it so that your off hand weapon gets the full benefit of your strength bonus on damage (instead of half).

The Xs can be replaced with any 2 classes you want that fit well with the character you want to play (and thanks to Ranger being on the other side, you don't have to worry about losing BAB).

You could pick up 2 levels of Swordsage to get Wisdom to AC in light armor (you need to be in Light Armor anyway because of the Ranger's combat style) while also picking up maneuvers from enough different schools for a potential entry into Master of Nine.
Another option is 2 levels of Feat Rogue (the variant from UA that replaces Sneak Attack progression with Fighter Bonus feats) for 2 extra feats and early evasion (meaning you don't have to wait until you get Scout 5 and you can then trade that Evasion for something else). This also gives you "Disable Device" as a class skill starting at level 1, making it easier to keep that completely maxed so that you can also double up as the group's trap finder.
Two levels of Monk would also be a very good option, though it could take away some of the Feral Fluff from the character. It gives you Evasion early just like feat rogue, though you should consider trading that in for "Invisible Fist" from Exemplars of Evil. It gives you 2 feats like the rogue option, though the options are much more limited. You can however pick up both "Power Attack" and "Improved Bullrush" by becoming a monk of the "Overwhelming Attack" school which sets you up for Shock Trooper if you want to go that round. It also gives you Wisdom to AC like swordsage. The swordsage allows you to wear Light Armor but the Monk can turn it into INT to AC with the "Kung Fu Genius" feat (or the Carmendine Monk feat but that doesn't fit with the idea of a feral character). Finally it gives you improved unarmed strike and unarmed strikes are Tiger Claw weapons. This way you could (probably) 'dual wield' a Great Axe with an unarmed strike (a headbut or kick) or even 'dual wield' your fists but you'll need to check with your DM on either of those (not everyone agrees you can two-weapon fight with unarmed strikes as both weapons and I've seen people argue about whether or not you'd still get the full benefits of two-handing a weapon while also fighting with two-weapons. better safe than sorry). Flurry is useless given the fact that you also have the Two-Weapon fighting feat so you don't have to worry about only using monk weapons. Finally, being a monk makes it possible to have your character train with the "Sparring Dummy of the Master" (AEG), which would allow you to take a 10 ft step instead of a 5 step every round, making full attacking AND triggering skirmish incredibly easy. The only problem with this is that it's from a 3.0 source and that you get the benefit from having trained with the dummy not from owning it so the cost of this upgrade is very DM dependant (if allowed at all). I've both had DMs who just gave this feature to me for free (the monastry owned the Dummy and so there was no need for me to pay for it) and I've seen DMs who only allow you to have this if you pay the full 30.000 GP (making it a lot less attractive). Something to consider, but ask your DM.
Note: This version gets vastly more interesting if Dragon Magazine is on the table. That way you could use the Martial Monk version to just pick any 2 fighter bonus feats instead of restricted feats, you could be a Raging Monk to replace your useless Flurry of Blows with the Rage ability (both of these are in DrM#310) and finally you could pick up the Beast Strike feat (DrM#355) which adds your claw damage to your unarmed strike damage (which is probably the only to make the fact that shifting gives you a claw attack actually)
Somebody else suggested picking up Totemist 2 in this build so that could go at those levels, Warlock 2 or Dragonfire Adept 2 gives you 1 or more invocations that could be helpful (I suggest those 24 buffs once like the one that gives See Invisibility all day) and there is of course the ever popular option of a Cleric Dip that could go in the first 2 levels to get Travel Devotion for free along with Turn Undead Attempts to fuel it which makes Full Attacking + Skirmish incredibly easy.

If you want to play a truly Feral Character, I would suggest Shifter for this particular lay out seeing as they have some extra synergy with the Bloodclaw Master. Depending on the level that you start playing Dwarf might also be an interesting options. You see, if you are a dwarf you can enter the Deepwarden Prestige Class, 2 levels in there would give you the "Stone warden" ability that replaces DEX to AC with CON to AC. You already get Two-Weapon Fighting for free so you don't need a high DEX for any feats so taking two levels in Deepwarden would allow you to somewhat dump DEX and focus more on STR and CON. You are forced to buy "Gloves of the Balanced Hand" if you want Improved Two Weapon Fighting and can't upgrade beyond that but frankly attacks number 3 and 4 hardly ever hit anyway. The Dwarf Version would look change the last few levels to this:

07. Ranger 3 / Bloodclaw Master 1
08. Deepwarden 1 / Bloodclaw Maser 2
09. Deepwarden 2 / Bloodclaw Master 3
10. Scout 5 / Warblade 5

You need Ranger 3 to get Endurance for free to enter Deepwarden and since Deepwarden already is a Full BAB class there is no harm in picking up another level in Bloodclaw Master for the extra use of shifting (which makes your character feel even more feral).

Also, Talking about stats, given that Ranger 3 gives you Endurance you can pick-up Steadfast Determination at level 9 which replaces DEX to AC with Con to AC allowing you to completely dump your Wisdom Score (assumes you didn't take 2 levels in Swordsage of course). So if you start atleast at level 9 you can focus on just STR, CON and INT (Warblade synergy), keep Dexterity positive so it doesn't penalise your reflex save (you always have a good reflex save and Warblade gives you INT to Ref) and completely tank your Wisdom and Charisma. Congratulations, your character now lacks any common sense or social grace. Doesn't get more feral than that ;)

The Viscount
2020-02-22, 11:49 PM
For race choices, something to consider is Raptoran, Dragonborn (wings aspect), or Silverbrow Human (spending their bonus feat on Dragon Wings). Any of these gives you a +10 racial bonus to jump.
Unfortunately Dragonborn erases previous racial bonuses so won't stack with Raptoran. Raptoran would have to gain the dragonblood subtype before taking dragon wings if you wanted to stack that way, so would probably cost another feat via dragontouched (or 1 level dip in something like dragonfire adept). I don't think there's anything preventing a Dragonborn from taking Dragon Wings, but most of the effects would overlap with wings aspect and I don't know that it's worth another feat to go from +10 to +20, if your DM would even allow it.

Stat-wise, jump is strength based, melee's largely a strength game, that should be your highest stat.
I always advise everybody to invest decently in Con, depending on how many Warblade levels you're taking you might put Int secondary for the bonuses from class features and Con third.
I'd only advise investing in Dex if you're using it to qualify for TWF and you're not getting that otherwise like via gloves of the balanced hand.

If you think you'll reliably move the 20 feet (like with sudden leap) improved skirmish is a solid investment.