PDA

View Full Version : Alchemy in 5e

LibraryOgre
2020-01-22, 06:28 PM
Has much been done with Alchemy in 5e? There are alchemist tools you can become proficient with, and Herbalism is required to make antitoxins and healing potions, but has anything been done with alchemy in greater depth? Where?

Nagog
2020-01-22, 06:35 PM
There is the Alchemist subclass for Artificers, but even that is quite limited.

I have pitched to one of my DMs a Potion Machine that turns spells into drinkable potions (like a Magic Juicer), however there would need to be restrictions in place to prevent the creation of such monstrosities as a Potion of Fireball or Potion of Teleport Circle. I'd impose restrictions like no Concentration spells, no spells that target enemies (such as Fireball, EB, Lightening Bolt, but allows for Arms of Hadar and Thunderwave), no permanent spells (no Potion of Find Familiar), to name a few.

LibraryOgre
2020-01-22, 06:40 PM
There is the Alchemist subclass for Artificers, but even that is quite limited.

I was thinking more in the alchemist fire and lockslip grease range, not class-based options.

Nagog
2020-01-22, 07:26 PM
I was thinking more in the alchemist fire and lockslip grease range, not class-based options.

If that's what you're looking for, it's probably either reflavoring spells (like Create Bonfire and Grease, respectively) or crafting consumable items. I believe XgtE has the crafting rules, as it isn't in Eberron: RftLW, and the Artificer class info references it, but it's also not in the PHB or DM Guide. I'd be very interested in real, quantifiable uses for an Alchemy Kit, similar to the Healer's Kit or Thieves Tools, but have yet to find any.