PDA

View Full Version : Plague(d?) Dystopia

Cikomyr
2020-01-23, 11:09 AM
So in stories where the megaplague has affected society, it's usually a simple complete destruction of societal order with a few remnant survivors. Think the future world of "12 Monkeys"

However, seeing current events, I was wondering if there's any work of fiction about a dystopian totalitarian - not post-apocalypse--society that established its authority not by fear of the "other", but by the fear of a deadly plague.

Fyraltari
2020-01-23, 11:20 AM
Dystopia are pretty much by nature built on fear of The Other. Anyone and anything that doesn’t fit the society’s criteria for acceptableness is to be feared, shunned or destroyed. If people were free to be whoever they are, it wouldn’t be dystopic to begin with.

JeenLeen
2020-01-23, 11:27 AM
I've seen some media with a mix of post-apocalyptic and totalitarian, in that most of society and infrastructure has been destroyed, but a totalitarian regime has managed to maintain part of it. The totalitarianism usually is stated as protecting people from the plague.

I admit most of this media have been zombie things. The government in Last of Us (video game) seems like this. And maybe the regime in... whatever that sorta-romance movie where the zombie falls in love and becomes human again?
But I could see, if one were writing a book or creating an RPG setting, pulling ideas and setting aspects from that and replacing "zombie" with "plague".

The bad guy in Steven King's The Stand sort of has a totalitarian government. I guess most of his cronies are allowed to do what they want as long as it pleases him, but they still got to do what he says. But his isn't really set against the plague itself.