PDA

View Full Version : Caster classes: 12 possible combinations of source, preparedness and attribute used

Saint-Just
2020-01-23, 05:50 PM
In the core wizards prepare arcane spells and rely on INT, divine casters prepare spells and rely on WIS, and spontaneous arcane casters rely on CHA. Later supplements added other combinations. I am interested in finding examples for as many of the 12 possible combinations of (spontaneous\prepared, divine\arcane, INT\WIS\CHA) as possible in the published material.

Primary attribute should be the one that is necessary to have at sufficiently high level to cast the spell, not the ones which determine bonus spells per day or save DC.

Results so far
prepared divine INT:Archivist
prepared divine WIS: Cleric and many others
prepared divine CHA:???
spontaneous divine INT: ???
spontaneous divine WIS: Spirit Shaman
spontaneous divine CHA: Favourite Soul and others
prepared arcane INT: Wizard and many others
prepared arcane WIS: ???
prepared arcane CHA: Sha'ir
spontaneous arcane INT: Beguiler and others
spontaneous arcane WIS: ???
spontaneous arcane CHA: Sorcerer and many others.

If someone can help me with the missing combinations I am very interested. Unusual combinations (e.g. Rainbow Servant prestige class arguably turning any arcane spellcaster into divine spellcaster) are welcome, but ideally I would like to find at least one class which grants a missing option first and explore combinations second

Quertus
2020-01-23, 05:59 PM
Tainted Sorcerer (and, similarly, Tainted Scholar and Maho Bujin) cast off Taint, which is like being a Wisdom-based arcane caster.

MinimanMidget
2020-01-23, 06:08 PM
You might find this helpful: http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=8768.0

The Dark Hunter is the only one I know off-hand that fills a gap on your list, but I'm sure there are others.

Zaq
2020-01-23, 07:29 PM
AFB, but I seem to recall the urban druid in Dragon Compendium being odd. Prepared divine CHA, maybe?

Thurbane
2020-01-23, 08:35 PM
The only arcane caster I am aware of that casts of Wis is Dark Hunter (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030315a): it is a spontaneous caster.

Already mentioned :smallredface: