PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Alchemy Jug and Vials of Acid qustion

FoxWolFrostFire
2020-01-24, 08:51 AM
Okay. So if I have an Alchemy Jug and a couple of vials can I get two Vials of Acid a day?

I am just very unsure of the ruling on this is any...Cause The Jug makes 8 ounces of acid, a vial holds 4 ounces, a vial of Acid weighs 1 pound...but it takes 16 ounces to make a pound. So what is the deal with this as a rule?

Garfunion
2020-01-24, 09:05 AM
The empty vial weighs a lot? I think they just rounded up/down on the weights to make it easier.

But yes an alchemy jug can make two vials worth of acid a day.

Pex
2020-01-24, 01:25 PM
The empty vial weighs a lot? I think they just rounded up/down on the weights to make it easier.

But yes an alchemy jug can make two vials worth of acid a day.

Really? That changes everything. Next level my alchemist will switch an infusion to Alchemy Jug to make Catapult acid bombs.

Er, maybe I should consult with the DM first. :smallyuk:

Garfunion
2020-01-24, 01:39 PM
Really? That changes everything. Next level my alchemist will switch an infusion to Alchemy Jug to make Catapult acid bombs.

Er, maybe I should consult with the DM first. :smallyuk:

I’ve asked that same question here and the sage advice. It always comes down to this; does the creature make two saving throws, one from catapult spell and one from the acid or just one saving throw. It’s up to your DM to see what works.

Pex
2020-01-26, 01:18 AM
I’ve asked that same question here and the sage advice. It always comes down to this; does the creature make two saving throws, one from catapult spell and one from the acid or just one saving throw. It’s up to your DM to see what works.

I was thinking it would be one saving throw, and I'm fine with that. If the opponent makes the save the acid flask splatters on the ground somewhere injuring no one. On the failed save the opponent takes the Catapult damage and the acid damage from the acid. That was never an issue with me, only how many flasks per day the Alchemy Jug can make. I was under the impression it was one every two days. If it really is twice a day that's all I need to be the happiest alchemist an alchemist can be.

Garfunion
2020-01-26, 03:39 AM
I was thinking it would be one saving throw, and I'm fine with that. If the opponent makes the save the acid flask splatters on the ground somewhere injuring no one. On the failed save the opponent takes the Catapult damage and the acid damage from the acid. That was never an issue with me, only how many flasks per day the Alchemy Jug can make. I was under the impression it was one every two days. If it really is twice a day that's all I need to be the happiest alchemist an alchemist can be.

An alchemy jug can make up to 8 ounces of acid per day and a vial can hold 4 ounces. So you can make two acid (vials) a day.

JackPhoenix
2020-01-26, 07:08 AM

There's no save for vial of acid, so I don't know why would I come up with one when it's thrown with a spell instead of by hand. The Dex save from Catapult already replaces the attack roll from throwing it.

T.G. Oskar
2020-01-26, 11:24 PM
Okay. So if I have an Alchemy Jug and a couple of vials can I get two Vials of Acid a day?

I am just very unsure of the ruling on this is any...Cause The Jug makes 8 ounces of acid, a vial holds 4 ounces, a vial of Acid weighs 1 pound...but it takes 16 ounces to make a pound. So what is the deal with this as a rule?

As others have said, yes - you can make 2 vials of acid, as the Alchemy Jug makes up to 8 fluid ounces of acid, and a vial can hold 4 fluid ounces of liquid.

To put it simpler, using metric terms:

Cause The Jug makes around 236 ml of acid, a vial holds 118 ml, a vial of Acid weighs 453 grams...but it takes 1000 grams to make a kilogram. So what is the deal with this as a rule?

If your confusion was trying to make a difference between dry ounces and fluid ounces, you'd get the confusion. (And yes, I should have used newtons instead of grams if I wanted a better comparison, but there's already a properly working conversion, so I used that.)

Do note that an Alchemy Jug also makes 1 quart of oil. Since it's sold in pints, you also get 2 containers' worth of oil, which can increase the damage of fire attacks you make by 5, or create a 2-turn effect that deals 5 fire damage to any creature in area. You could combine the flask of oil with a flask of alchemist's fire and have that starting "bomb" deal 1d4+5 fire damage for 1 minute (the way oil works, it takes 1 minute to dry, and while it dries, it increases any fire damage the target takes by 5 points; alternatively, it's a one-time increase of 5 points of damage). So yeah - the Alchemy Jug is pretty useful on a short rest, giving you very useful items to make for yourself and your party.

iTreeby
2020-01-26, 11:31 PM
Yeah yeah vials of acid, whatever. Better use is buckets of mayo for the sweet grease effect.