PDA

View Full Version : What is up with the Ring of Mind Shielding?

Mr Adventurer
2020-01-24, 10:16 AM
I specifically mean the last function, about how your soul goes into the ring if you die and can choose to pass on or to communicate telepathically with another wearer (and they can't stop you!). What's this got to do with mind shielding? I mean, don't get me wrong, I love it - I just don't know why the ring does this!

ZorroGames
2020-01-24, 10:18 AM
I specifically mean the last function, about how your soul goes into the ring if you die and can choose to pass on or to communicate telepathically with another wearer (and they can't stop you!). What's this got to do with mind shielding? I mean, don't get me wrong, I love it - I just don't know why the ring does this!

It is the ultimate saving/shielding of the mind.

Mr Adventurer
2020-01-24, 10:20 AM
It is the ultimate saving/shielding of the mind.

That's what I mean: in the context of what the ring is for, what does this function shield the mind from?

Erys
2020-01-24, 10:22 AM
That's what I mean: in the context of what the ring is for, what does this function shield the mind from?

The afterlife.

:smallwink:

Keravath
2020-01-24, 10:23 AM

Death? You can choose to remain with the ring and perhaps convince someone to resurrect you later?

ZorroGames
2020-01-24, 10:24 AM

Character - death

Player - building a new first level character (with one exception I play and DM AL) so for them it could be crucial.

ZorroGames
2020-01-24, 10:28 AM
Death? You can choose to remain with the ring and perhaps convince someone to resurrect you later?

You could indeed. Or the new host could die and a Demon or Devil finds the ring.

Reynaerde
2020-01-24, 06:02 PM
That's what I mean: in the context of what the ring is for, what does this function shield the mind from?In the case of my character: from having to serve the yugoloth, the patron, or the forgotten god that are currently claiming a stake to his soul.

Misterwhisper
2020-01-26, 12:44 PM
It is an amazing plot device.

I played a warlock who had a cursed ring of mind shielding, he could never remove it and the ring already had a soul in it, a sliver of his patron that kept an eye on him and linked him to his power.