PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Fun Ideas for a Bardarian

e42randy
2020-01-24, 01:06 PM
Currently playing a level 6 Half-Orc Bard. His background is that he grew up in a town where everyone (all Half-Orcs as well) were bards. Ashamed, he ran away from home and tells everyone he meets that he comes from a long line of murderous 'bardarians' (when asked if he meant barbarian, he always says "that's what I said"). But all he knows is the bard ways, hence his class.

Currently a Valor Bard, with Strength as his primary, wielding a great axe and with the GWM feat. Charisma is my dump stat and I take only spells without a save or attack. That said, the DM allowed us a (too) generous stat roll setup for character creation, and even my lowest roll allows me to multiclass out of bard:

Str: 20
Dex: 16
Con: 17
Int: 16
Wis: 16
Cha: 14

Cantrip: Mending, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation
1st: Cure Wounds, Feather Fall, Healing Word, Identify
2nd: Cloud of Daggers, Heat Metal, Locate Object
3rd: Leomund's Tiny Hut, Tongues

He has a +1 Great Axe (probably the only magic item for a long time, per DM's setting), has like 20 hand axes, and wears Half-Plate.

For in-game reasons, he has to stay pure bard one more level to learn polymorph, but then he's free to do whatever, with one caveat: NO LEVELS IN BARBARIAN. He's obviously not an optimized character, so more looking for fun things to do with him. For people worried about overlap, don't. But just in case, we have: a 'real' bard (Lore), a cleric who never heals (I *think* Arcana), a paladin (vengeance), a druid (moon), and a monk (not sure, he hardly shows up to games).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

bendking
2020-01-24, 01:13 PM
I would try making a grappling build, but it might be difficult without Rage.

Ninja_Prawn
2020-01-24, 01:18 PM
No barbarian is a shame, because this (https://mfov.magehandpress.com/2018/02/bardbarian.html) would have been a hilarious addition.

My first thought for a serious suggestion is that sorcerer might be an option. It avoids adding any extra MADness and it would add a bit of arcane blasting that the rest of the party might lack. Perhaps that's too meta for this game though.

micahaphone
2020-01-24, 01:21 PM
Do you have expertise in athletics?

Other things could be to do dumb things to show how tough you are, like eating raw/undercooked meat, drinking lots of alcohol or poisons, toughing out cold or bad weather without proper clothing or shelter, etc. Think of anything that would be a CON save, and do it with a brave, stoic face like it ain't no thing, even when you fail your check and you're gonna be vomited or shivering 5 seconds later.

Get some Throwing Axes, make a big show about how in your culture throwing axes at each other is a time honored game. I'm thinking of the Game of Thrones universe, where House Greyjoy has some sort of ridiculous traditional game where they play catch with axes, and losing an eye, ear , hand, fingers, etc is considered an inevitability. It's been 8 years (oh my god it's been 8 years) since I read the books, so I'm a bit hazy on the details.

Or grab some fun bits of the Scottish Highland Games, like the infamous Caber Toss, and add it to your character's performance.

Galithar
2020-01-24, 01:23 PM
I would try making a grappling build, but it might be difficult without Rage.

Not really. Enhance Ability is in the Bard list, and if you use the Class Feature Variants UA Enlarge/Reduce was added as well.

I have an EK 7/Lore Bard X Grappler build that I plan on using in the future. (It completely dumps INT and has the minimum to multiclass 13 CHA)

But that only works if you already took Expertise in Athletics, or if multiclass Rogue. I mean you CAN grapple as your schtick without Expertise, but it's obviously less reliable.

Anyways, I would think just for a fun I'm not trying to optimize anything build some Druid levels could be fun. Give yourself more options for non-save/attack spells that aren't on the Bard list. Plus you say you need Polymorph for in character reasons, Wildshape might help with whatever that's for? I obviously don't know why you want it so it might not give you 'more uses' of whatever it is :P but Moon Druids are always fun. I like turning into beasts though haha

Edit: I'm also a fan of Sun Soul monks, but can't see your Half-Orc putting down the Axe or taking off the armor in order to actually do any Monk things haha

Nidgit
2020-01-24, 02:04 PM
How about Ranger? That could capture some of the "wilderness" feel and give you a real dynamic entry feel, particularly if you use a UA ranger or take Gloomstalker.

My other thought would be Samurai or Eldritch Knight. I feel like a rarely see either using a Greataxe and it could potentially mesh well with that you've got going.

e42randy
2020-01-24, 02:10 PM
Re: the grappling suggestions, the DM loves his huge+ creatures, so enlarge would definitely be handy, but at the same time make it likely for things to murder my not-so-tanky self. I'll have to think about it. (I'm assuming the question about Athletics training was also about grappling; yes, I have it proficient and with expertise.)

My first thought for a serious suggestion is that sorcerer might be an option. It avoids adding any extra MADness and it would add a bit of arcane blasting that the rest of the party might lack. Perhaps that's too meta for this game though.

Blasty stuff is covered by both the cleric and the other bard (they both love fireballing everything), so we're ok on that. The bigger issue though is the lousy +2 Cha mod I'd be throwing around (the main reason I'm avoiding spells with saves or attacks). I'd have to expect all blast spells to be either half effective or worse.

Other things could be to do dumb things to show how tough you are, like eating raw/undercooked meat, drinking lots of alcohol or poisons, toughing out cold or bad weather without proper clothing or shelter, etc. Think of anything that would be a CON save, and do it with a brave, stoic face like it ain't no thing, even when you fail your check and you're gonna be vomited or shivering 5 seconds later.

Oh, don't worry, I totally play up the Bardarian stuff. For example, did you know some DMs will forbid your character from Donald Duck'ing it (no pants)?

Get some Throwing Axes...

Dude, that's what the 20 hand axes are for! :smallsmile:

Plus you say you need Polymorph for in character reasons, Wildshape might help with whatever that's for?

It's not for me, it's for potentially smuggling a (willing) Giant out of a sticky situation. But I'll look into druid spells, I don't know what they get in terms of no attacks or saves. Thanks!

How about Ranger? That could capture some of the "wilderness" feel and give you a real dynamic entry feel, particularly if you use a UA ranger or take Gloomstalker.

My other thought would be Samurai or Eldritch Knight. I feel like a rarely see either using a Greataxe and it could potentially mesh well with that you've got going.

I'll definitely take a look at both, especially the Ranger. I don't think I've ever played one in D&D.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far!

Galithar
2020-01-24, 03:19 PM
Druids get some decent non stat dependent spells. Healing spirit for all your Out of combat healing needs. Summons spells. Pass Without Trace for when you need to sneaky sneaky. Fog Cloud is a favorite of mine. Low cost and shuts down a lot of "a target you can see" spells.

Plus of course your standard talk to nature spells.

follacchioso
2020-01-26, 11:45 AM
I can highly recommend you the grappler option.

You can take the tavern brawler, using your musical instrument as improvised weapon, and grappling as a bonus action. It works strangely well, with expertise in athletics and the meld cantrips to repair damage. It also kind of fit into your background.

Even against huge enemies, you can always find something to do with expertise in athletics - trip your enemies or disarm them.