PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Magic Weapon Creation?

ThornTheDruid
2020-01-24, 02:53 PM
Hello All! ThornTheDruid here again! I am curious about making magic items! How would one go about making one. Components? Magic spells? How much damage?

Here is the item I have in mind - The Vindicator. A weapon used to smite evil, without mercy. I want it to do extra crushing damage, so each monster doesn't just die... It's bones are crushed inside its body. Vex would be mercilessly slaughtering the evils of the world with this war-hammer.

nickl_2000
2020-01-24, 02:56 PM
Are you a DM or a player?

What level is this intended for?

ThornTheDruid
2020-01-26, 04:04 PM
Sorry! I should've mentioned

I am a player, with a VERY lenient DM. He gives us full party revives on the regular, and lets us do OP things. I like it though, its fun.

I want the item to be at the minimum like a rare item, but ideally I want it to be higher. I have no trouble making a challenge to get components for the item. I'm a GIANT lore nerd, and just roleplay/DND nerd in general.

Idea away!

Bonus points to any other ideas for Monster Slaying kind of items.

J-H
2020-01-26, 06:45 PM
Bone-Cracker (rare)
This +1 Warhammer shakes the very bones of its enemies. On-hit, the target takes 2d8 thunder damage, Con save DC 12 half. Three times per day, the wielder may use a bonus action to inflict the Frightened condition for 1 round on the target of a failed save.

The only thing I don't like is forcing a save on every single hit.

Cheesegear
2020-01-26, 08:26 PM
How would one go about making one. Components? Magic spells?

Find a spell that does what you want the magic item to do (e.g; Magic Weapon). Cast that spell on the item (or on the components being used to craft the item) every day for 30 days, and the spell becomes permanent.

Crafting magic items in 5e has some pretty asinine rules. Don't use those.

ThornTheDruid
2020-01-27, 01:08 PM
Bone-Cracker (rare)
This +1 Warhammer shakes the very bones of its enemies. On-hit, the target takes 2d8 thunder damage, Con save DC 12 half. Three times per day, the wielder may use a bonus action to inflict the Frightened condition for 1 round on the target of a failed save.

The only thing I don't like is forcing a save on every single hit.

I'm going to use this. I love the simplicity of it. The frightened condition is nice too!