PDA

View Full Version : The Hindsight Awards: best movies of 1999. Round 3: voting

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-01-26, 09:15 AM
The results are in! The results post is the second post on page 2 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?607053-The-Hindsight-Awards-best-movies-of-1999-Round-3-voting/page2).

Has your favorite won? Oooooh, exiting!

-------------

Welcome to the final thread of the Hindsight Awards 1999. It's a well known fact that not all things that are a hit become a classic, nor the other way around. So as the Oscars for movies from 2019 are handed out, we will be ranking the best movies released in 1999. The contest will be decided in 3 rounds, this is round 3.

Round 1: Nomination.
In round 1 anyone can name movies that were originally released for the first time in 1999. Any and every movie that is named will make it into round 2.

Round 2: Rating.
In round 2 the full list of movies suggested in round 1 is posted. Everyone can rate any and all movies they want to rate on a scale from 0 to 5. Which movies move on to the next round is determined not by their total score, but by their average rating. A movie that only a few people have an opinion about has just as much of a chance to make it as one that everyone scored. The only exception is that a movie must have been rated by at least 2 people to be eligible. If you were the only person here who remembers it, it was probably not the best movie of 1999.

Round 3: Voting. (You are here)
The 6 highest rated movies from round 2 (why 6? Because it's a good number) will move on to the voting round. This will be run using a preferential/ranked vorig system, a modified Borda count. (No, I honestly don't know if this is a better system than what we used in round 2.) Anyone can vote by listing all 6 movies on the shortlist from best to worst. The winner will be crowned the best movie of 1999.

So this is round 3. I will not be announcing the full results of round 2 until round 3 is over, but I will below post a list of the 6 highest ranked movies* from that round, in the same alphabetical order as the other two rounds. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to rank these movies from best to worst. There no longer is a no opinion option, give it your best guess. Your first place vote will receive 6 points, second 4, third 2, fourth 1 and the last two 0. This is because it's generally more engaging to have to think hardest about the things you like best. The winner will be the movie with the highest total points. In case of a tie the win goes to the movie (from the ones that were tied) with the highest amount of first places, then second places etc until the tie is broken.

* There was a four way tie for place 6, which I decided to break based on the highest numbers of 5's received, similar to the tie breaking mechanism for this round.

The six nominations on the shortlist are:
Fight Club
Galaxy Quest
Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
The Green Mile
The Iron Giant
The Matrix

We have a good mix of crowd pleasers, genre movies and underdogs here, so let the voting commence. I'll give you a generous four weeks to vote, until Friday the 21st of February [EDIT: deadline extended to the 21st of March!], in case you'd like to catch up on a few movies first. (I know I want to.) As soon as the entire world has rolled over to Saturday the 22nd Sunday the 22nd (because I forgot about adjusting for the leap year when announcing the new date) the voting is closed and I will announce the results.

Happy deciding, and may the votes be with you.

GrayDeath
2020-01-26, 11:34 AM
The Matrix
The Iron Giant
Fight Club
The Green Mile
Galaxy Quest
Ghost Dog

Eldan
2020-01-26, 01:18 PM
What do we do if we haven't seen some of those movies?

GrayDeath
2020-01-26, 01:27 PM
Probably either A: Doont vote at all

or

B: put them at the lowest rating.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-01-26, 03:10 PM
Probably either A: Doont vote at all

or

B: put them at the lowest rating.

Or find a five minute clip on Youtube and base your opinion on that, or just wildly guess how it would compare to the other movies, or rate them on how much you want to see them, or see how others vote and keep it around there, or...

Or maybe it turns out the second round made for a better final round than the third. In which case: oops.

thompur
2020-01-26, 04:20 PM
The Iron Giant
Galaxy Quest
The Green Mile
The Matrix
Fight Club
Ghost Dog

comicshorse
2020-01-26, 04:26 PM
Fight Club
The Matrix
Galaxy Quest
The Green Mile
The Iron Giant

Eldan
2020-01-27, 09:51 AM
Fight Club
The Matrix
The Green Mile
The Iron Giant
Galaxy Quest

I haven't seen Iron Giant, I would probably have liked it a lot as a kid. Thinking about it now, eh.

Mordar
2020-01-27, 03:15 PM
Green Mile
Matrix
Galaxy Quest
Fight Club
Ghost Dog
Iron Giant

- M

tomandtish
2020-01-27, 03:15 PM
Galaxy Quest
Ghost Dog
The Green Mile
Fight Club
The Matrix
The Iron Giant

I have to admit: These are all good movies, and there's enough difference among them that saying one is better than the other is hard, because it's definitely an apples/oranges/grapes/etc. situation.

Tyndmyr
2020-01-27, 04:30 PM
1. The Matrix
2. Fight Club
3. Galaxy Quest
4. The Iron Giant
5. The Green Mile
6. Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-02-26, 02:22 AM
Due to the recent forum outages and the time some people will need to trickle back in the deadline will be extended to the 21st of March. Votes already cast do not need to be repeated.

dps
2020-02-27, 04:55 PM
1 The Green Mile

2 Galaxy Quest

3 Fight Club

4 The Iron Giant

5 The Matrix

6 Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai

I have to admit, I'd have probably ranked The Matrix higher if my memory of it wasn't diminished by the sequels.

tomandtish
2020-02-27, 05:31 PM
1 The Green Mile

2 Galaxy Quest

3 Fight Club

4 The Iron Giant

5 The Matrix

6 Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai

I have to admit, I'd have probably ranked The Matrix higher if my memory of it wasn't diminished by the sequels.

Yeah, it's always interesting how a horrible continuation can affect how youfeel about something. For me it's Star Trek First Contact. While I loved it when it came out, in hindsight it started the decline of the Borg.

Peelee
2020-02-27, 05:40 PM
Iron Giant
The Matrix
Galaxy Quest

Dragonus45
2020-02-27, 07:27 PM
1: The Matrix
2: Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
3: Galaxy Quest
4: The Green Mile
5: The Iron Giant
6: Fight Club

Dienekes
2020-02-27, 10:04 PM
1) Fight Club
2) Iron Giant
3) The Matrix
4) Galaxy Quest
5) The Green Mile

Starwulf
2020-02-29, 02:13 AM
The Matrix
Fight Club
The Green Mile
Galaxy Quest
The Iron Giant

Pheldagriff
2020-02-29, 09:34 AM
The Matrix
Fight Club
Galaxy Quest
Ghost Dog
The Iron Giant
The Green Mile

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-03-11, 08:44 AM
I can't do it. I can't put The Green Mile above The Matrix. The Matrix is just too much of my kind of movie and too much of a widely accepted cultural touchstone. I have been able to see Ghost Dog and The Iron Giant since this round started. They're a lot fresher in my mind now, with no nostalgia or "things get better in memory"-factor involved, but no "some things just get more meh over time" either, so it's not a completely fair comparison, but I agree that like the others they're good movies.

So, my own list:

The Matrix
The Green Mile
Galaxy Quest
Fight Club
The Iron Giant

truemane
2020-03-11, 09:18 AM
I find Fight Club's continued popularity, (even now, two decades after the blush has come off the rose) entirely perplexing. I thought then, and I think now, it's half of a very good movie, and then half of some other, far lesser movie. And the twist at the end is laziness and cheating. Basically no better than 'it was all a dream.'

Anyway. Here's my list! It's got less to do with nostalgia and more to do with what I feel are the qualities of the films themselves. Despite their relative positions on the list, I would probably be down to watch the Matrix more often than the Iron Giant. Also, coincidentally, I just read, and watched, the Green Mile just last week. It was better than I had remembered. So that one was pretty fresh in my mind.

The Iron Giant
Galaxy Quest
The Green Mile
The Matrix
Fight Club

jdizzlean
2020-03-11, 09:30 AM
psh, that guy above me is just wrong.

The Matrix
Fight Club
The Green Mile
Galaxy Quest
The Iron Giant

truemane
2020-03-11, 09:33 AM
psh, that guy above me is just wrong.
I get that a lot. I got into a lot of shouting matches over my somewhat subdued response to the Matrix when it came out.

Imbalance
2020-03-11, 10:03 AM
I'll not be forced to pick a favorite between Giant, Quest, and Morpheus. Sorry. Three way tie at #1.
After that:
Mile
Samurai
"You met me at a very strange time in my life."

Peelee
2020-03-11, 10:15 AM
I'll not be forced to pick a favorite between Giant, Quest, and Morpheus. Sorry. Three way tie at #1.

You're giving out too many points there. I don't know how Lvl 2 Expert is doing things, but there's a good chance your vote may simply not be counted because it's not following the correct format.:

Your first place vote will receive 6 points, second 4, third 2, fourth 1 and the last two 0.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-03-11, 10:27 AM
You're giving out too many points there. I don't know how Lvl 2 Expert is doing things, but there's a good chance your vote may simply not be counted because it's not following the correct format.:

I'll figure something out, for your list too. But I did just decide against publishing what I'm thinking of doing so people don't start coming up with clever voting schemes based on how they think my scoring of them will work.

Because more standard votes is less work for me :smallwink:, and less perceived unfairness of the competition.

Peelee
2020-03-11, 10:32 AM
I'll figure something out, for your list too. But I did just decide against publishing what I'm thinking of doing so people don't start coming up with clever voting schemes based on how they think my scoring of them will work.

Because more standard votes is less work for me :smallwink:, and less perceived unfairness of the competition.

For mine, I could put Green Mile as the fourth. I haven't seen it, which is why I didn't rate it (same for Ghost Dog); I just want Palahniuk to get zero from me.

Imbalance
2020-03-11, 05:53 PM
I guess Green Mile gets a point, then, and my top tie gets a three way, twelve point split = four points each.

ZamielVanWeber
2020-03-11, 09:06 PM
Oof. Some of these I loved. Some I still love. Some I barely cared about at all.

Galaxy Quest
The Iron Giant
The Matrix
The Green Mile
Fight Club

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-03-12, 03:04 AM
The Iron Giant is an easy 1st for me.

The Matrix is fantastic, securing 2nd.

Galaxy Quest was also good. 3rd.

I haven't actually seen the other three movies, so I won't rank them (especially since they're in the 0-1 point range anyway). I am still confident that The Iron Giant deserves top place, as it is easily a contender for my favorite movie period. I'm also reasonably comfortable putting The Matrix in second, for similar reasons, though I'll admit it's possible Galaxy Quest doesn't deserve the spot I've given it. Will edit in changes if I watch any of the other three between now and the 21st.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-03-19, 07:07 AM
Friendly reminder, last few days. Last call for votes. Boarding has started. Will all votes proceed to the terminal?

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-03-23, 11:34 AM
The votes have been counted, the results are in. It's time for the big reveal.

The definitive list of the 6 best movies of 1999 is:

1 The Matrix (72 points)
2 Galaxy Quest (46 points)
3 The Iron Giant (42 points)
4 Fight Club (40 points)
5 The Green Mile (32 points)
6 Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (14 points)

Movies from round 2 to round out the top 10:
7 The Boondock Saints
8 Ravenous
9 Girl, Interrupted
10 eXistenZ

This link goes to an image of the full list of votes for round 3. (https://i.postimg.cc/Sx2dpkJW/Hindsight-Awards-Round-3.png)

And this link has all the votes and results for round 2. (https://i.postimg.cc/mg7vG0X6/Hindsight-Awards-Round-2.png) (One pair of movies from the top 6 switched places between rounds.) (Tiebreakers have not been applied for movies with one vote, they would automatically result in another tie.) (The size of the image apparently makes the host want to sent you to one of those "this page has the picture you wanted on it" pages, click the same link again to go to just the image.)

Thank you all for playing! And who knows, maybe until the next Hindsight Awards...