PDA

View Full Version : Player Help multi class fighter/ranger vs just fighter

huginn
2020-01-27, 02:09 AM
Hello
I am inexperienced with 5e and i am making a character for a campaign that probably won't go past 12.
I seen threads about putting 3-5 levels in ranger then switch over to fighter. Is that really better then going just fighter?
In practice how does a ranger 3/fighter 5 compare to a 8th level fighter ?
I do see the appeal of getting another fighting style and you have proficiency in 3 saving throws instead of 2 but you get ASI's later

I just like to get some input on all the pros and cons
If I go ranger I am deciding between gloom stalker and hunter

RogueJK
2020-01-27, 09:44 AM
Hello
and you have proficiency in 3 saving throws instead of 2 but you get ASI's later

That's not how saving throw proficiency works. You only get the 2 initial proficiencies from your first class only, if you multiclass.

So you can start Ranger at Level 1 and get STR/DEX proficiency, or start Fighter at Level 1 and get STR/CON proficiency.

Dipping 2, 3, or 5 levels in Ranger is useful for some builds, like some Rogues and some Clerics. But it wouldn't be a very optimal choice for most Fighters.

In addition to delaying your ASIs, it also delays the Fighter's additional Extra Attacks. A Fighter's main schtick is that they're the only class to get more than 2 attacks, so that's a pretty big hit to a Fighter to miss out on or delay those.

Xenken
2020-02-22, 02:16 PM
Aye, delaying Extra Attack is generally a bad call. If you wanted to MC with either class, I'd want until level 5 for that reason.

Expired
2020-02-22, 02:36 PM
The opportunity cost of multi-classing into Ranger is that you will not get a fourth attack (from level 20 Fighter) so if you are in a campaign that will reach level 20, take that into consideration.

ZorroGames
2020-02-22, 04:06 PM
He stated it will top out around 12 so no fourth attack anyway.

That said, a MC in that situation will miss 3 attacks at 11. Is the Ranger gain (and I love Ranger) worth that cost? That is a 50% boost in attacks missed.

djreynolds
2020-02-22, 04:58 PM
Yes, fighter/ranger

I would shoot for IMO:

1 fighter
2 fighter
3 fighter (grab an archetype, I'm assuming dex based.... I like battlemaster

Now here's the kicker.... rest goes into ranger, 8 levels and spells, and I like gloomstalker… free dark vision and at 7th wisdom save proficiency

or flip it

8 battlemaster and 3 hunter, hunter is good because horde breaker or colossus slayer are always great.

I recommend archery style, and actually TWF and dual wield scimitars and short swords

begin fighter for con saves, with a 20 dex… you'll have +5 for a save. And a ranger has access to absorb elements

Zhorn
2020-02-22, 05:06 PM
That said, a MC in that situation will miss 3 attacks at 11. Is the Ranger gain (and I love Ranger) worth that cost? That is a 50% boost in attacks missed.

If the level cap for the adventure was 10 or lower, the 3 levels into Ranger could be worth it as a short term investment:
5 levels in Fighter for Extra Attack, 3 levels in Ranger (Hunter) for Hunter's Prey (Horde Breaker), giving you 3 attacks at 8th level with your Attack Action so long as you have two targets withing 5 feet of each other.

but with a level 12 cap it's more valuable to get the Fighter's third attack as it will be less restricted and more reliable.