PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Fog

schreier
2020-01-27, 03:00 PM
I used this spell for the first time in game ... and had some questions.

A bank of freezing mist billows out from the point you designate, obscuring all sight (including darkvision) beyond 5 feet. A creature within 5 feet has concealment, while creatures farther away have total concealment.

Each round on your turn, the frigid mist deals 1d6 points of cold damage to each creature and object within it. The fog is so thick that any creature attempting to move through it progresses at a maximum speed of 5 feet (regardless of its normal speed) and takes a -2 penalty on melee attack rolls and damage rolls and a -6 penalty on ranged weapon attack rolls (but not ranged spell attack rolls). A creature or object that falls into the fog from above is slowed, so that each 10 feet of mist it passes through effectively reduces overall falling damage by 1d6.

Freezing fog also coats all solid surfaces in its area with a slick, icy rime, and on your turn each round, each creature in the area of the fog must make a successful Reflex save or fall prone. A creature that manages to stand must make a DC 10 Balance check in order to move, falling prone if it fails its save by 5 or more. Creatures in the fog can't take a 5-foot step.

On my turn - everyone in the fog takes 1d6 cold damage, no save. They must also make a reflex save or fall prone. I am lvl 11, and have a 24 intelligence - so +7 bonus. Freezing Fog is a lvl 6 spell. So that would mean targets have to make a DC 23 save on my turn or fall down, right?

Creatures inside can move a max of 5 feet, take a penalty on attack and damage (-2 melee, -6 ranged), and cannot take a 5' step.

If the creature makes the reflex save or moves into the fog not during my turn must roll a DC10 Balance check. I am not sure what happens if it fails the balance check (falls?).

It sounds similar to a Grease spell, except that movement is restricted to 5' instead of half. Reading Grease - if you make the balance check on your turn, you are fine. If you Fail balance by 1-4, you then make a reflex save. If you fail the reflex save or fail by 5+, you fall prone. I am assuming that would apply the same, it is just poorly written?

So -- reading Grease into Freezing Fog:

On my turn, take 1d6 Cold damage and roll DC 23 reflex save or fall. On your turn, roll a DC 10 Balance check to move, if you fail by 5+ you fall. If you bail by 1-4, roll reflex DC 23 and fall if fail. If pass either the balance check or the reflex save, then can move up to 5' per turn and can attack at -2 or -6.

Is that right? Incredibly powerful if I am reading it right, especially against something like a golem.

Vaern
2020-01-27, 06:10 PM
Grease specifies that on a failed balance check the subject must make a reflex save or fall prone. Freezing fog doesn't make this specification, nor does it reference the grease spell to indicate that it functions as such. Failing the balance check just means that the creature fails to move for their turn. Failure by 1-4 doesn't incur an additional reflex save against falling. This is consistent with the mechanics of the balance skill itself, which states that failing a balance check on a precarious surface by 4 or less means that you are unable to move for the turn while failing by 5 or more results in falling. The additional reflex save on a failed balance check is unique to grease. You're using the fact that the slipperiness effect happens to look like grease to infer additional effects that aren't listed in the spell's description.

Kaiwen
2020-01-27, 06:24 PM
On my turn, take 1d6 Cold damage and roll DC 23 reflex save or fall. On your turn, roll a DC 10 Balance check to move, if you fail by 5+ you fall. If you bail by 1-4, roll reflex DC 23 and fall if fail. If pass either the balance check or the reflex save, then can move up to 5' per turn and can attack at -2 or -6.

Is that right? Incredibly powerful if I am reading it right, especially against something like a golem.

The reflex save vs falling prone is only at the beginning of your turn every round. On their turn, if they're standing and want to move, they make a DC 10 Balance check. If they succeed, they can move 5 feet. If they fail by 1-4, they waste their action trying and failing to move and that's it, no further saves that move. If they fail by 5+, they fall prone, no save, and don't move.