PDA

View Full Version : Optimization help

Spartan_MD
2020-01-28, 02:18 PM
I’ve created a Str based Barbarian 1/Thief 5 dwarf who fights with returning hand axe and a +1 short sword. He also has an item that gives him an extra Reaction so he is able to tank well with rage and use uncanny dodge twice per round. I don’t see the game going past level 10-12. My options for gaining a level would be

1. keep gaining levels in barbarian to gain reckless attack, bear totem and eventually two attacks/round.

2. add a 1 level dip in fighter to gain two weapon fighting as I’d be doing d6+7 with my off hand while raging and then another 3 levels in rogue.

3. Go all rogue to 9th

4. Some combo of fighter 3 (champion) with an additional level of Barbarian. Or barb1/rogue5/fighter2/rogue 2.

here’s the linkhttps://ddb.ac/characters/11260150/nSS8pD

Thoughts?

CheddarChampion
2020-01-28, 06:00 PM
It sounds like you have a strength of 20 already, is that right?

I would take another level in Barbarian, then one in Fighter, then two more in Rogue.
Reckless Attack grants you advantage, which allows you to sneak attack with your shortsword in circumstances you normally couldn't.
The advantage enemies get against you is well offset by resistance (if applicable) and your two uses of uncanny dodge.
Danger Sense pairs well with Evasion at Rogue 7 and is approximately worth +3.3 to Dex saves in most cases.
TWF style is good as you say, +5 damage on a turn (at Str 20) if you hit.
Second Wind is only 6.5 HP healed but that turns into 13 with Rage or 26 with Rage plus Uncanny Dodge.
More skill monkeying.
Evasion is good for avoiding damage where Rage doesn't help (Fireball, Lightning Bolt, etc.). Danger Sense boosts your chances of success and thus avoiding the damage entirely.
The extra sneak attack damage will often come into play when you have Reckless Attack as a backup option.

This build gets you 1d6+8 with your shortsword, a bonus action 1d6+7 with your handaxe, 4d6 Sneak Attack damage, Reckless Attack for more accuracy and better chances of getting Sneak Attack, two more Expertise skills, Danger Sense + Evasion to be strong vs fireballs, and a bit of healing every short rest.

Compared to Barb 1/Rogue 9 you lose 1d6 Sneak Attack and a Feat/ASI but gain TWF, 1d10+1 Second Wind, Danger Sense, Reckless Attack, and 3 HP.
Compared to Barb 5/Rogue 5 you lose Extra Attack (worth 1d6+8 in your case), a Feat/ASI, and 5 HP but gain TWF, 1d10+1 Second Wind, 2 Expertise Skills, and Evasion.
Compared to Barb 2/Rogue 6/Fighter 2 you lose Action Surge, 1 HP, and 1 HP per Second Wind but gain Evasion.
Compared to Barb 1/Rogue 7/Fighter 2 you lose Action Surge and 1 HP per Second Wind but gain 1 HP, Danger Sense, and Reckless Attack.

Corran
2020-02-22, 06:21 PM
Riposte (from 3 levels in battlemaster fighter) would eventually play well with your two(!) reactions (consider grabbing sentinel if you think you can survive the aggro) and with your sneak attack dice. It will take some time to get to it though, and although the second wind is fairly nice with your hp resistance (from rage and uncanny dodge), the fighting style wont be that great of an addition, and the action surge typically needs extra attack to start making good use of (outside of when you really need to do sth not typical with your actions). If you think there's a good chance to make it to level 11 (for extra attack), and if 2 rages are typically enough to carry you through the adventuring day, I'd probably go with fighter battlemaster levels for the remainder of the campaign (at least up until I got the extra attack and quite possibly the bonus ASI -probably used for something like resilient wisdom). It would certainly help to know what everyone else is playing (cause that might mean that stuff like evasion or the various abilities of a totem barb might be more desirable because of some existing or potential future synergy between your build and those of your allies).