PDA

View Full Version : Vana'diel: The Final Fantasy (Bastok)

Nu
2007-10-22, 05:26 AM
Music selection: The Republic of Bastok (http://www.mediafire.com/?8kdv0djn4ht)

It is early in the afternoon on Earthsday, on the 23rd week of the year 884 C. E. (Crystal Era). A light breeze is blowing accross the the sturdy wooden bridges and stone structures that make up the Bastok markets. The water is flowing through the markets at a gentle pace, and the citizens of Bastok can be found wandering the streets, bartering for goods at the various locales under the only partially cloudy sky that favors the Gustaberg region today.

Slightly south of the Metalworks, near the residential area Mog Houses, a high-ranking member of the Bastokan Legions, Legatus Cleades, patiently waits with his arms folded. He is a hume male of average height, and is fair-skinned with a bald head bearing a strange tattoo on the forehead. He wears a Bastokan tabard over a lightweight chain mesh uniform, that appears to be made of mythril, and he is casually leaning on the northern stone wall that holds the Metalworks and, above them, the political offices of Bastok high in the air. He does not appear to have any weapons in his possession. At his side is a shorter hume female named Rieka, a representative from the Bastok trade department, in charge of Bastok's adventurer's program. She appears more attentive and is dressed in an off-white and light brown government uniform, holding a clipboard and sporting a beret-like brown cloth cap. She has fair skin and short, black hair that is neatly kept. Rieka appears to be awaiting someone's arrival.

OOC
Location: Bastok Markets, south end of I-7 on the appropriate map. Keep in mind that people are mere dots on this map, it's not really representative of a DnD tactical combat map. This is merely to help you find your way around.

"Legatus" is the rank of Cleades. A Legatus commands an individual Bastok legion, which are the largest (and lowest-ranking) group of Bastok's military. The woman is a representative of the government, and the one you're looking for. Bastok people, enter as you please. Consult the map if you want to know where you can enter from.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-22, 10:42 AM
Khoula makes his way through the ports after saying his final farewells to the men he'd been working with. Mostly galka, of course, but there are a few humes strong enough to handle the heavy loads the dockworkers must bear. He hides his eagerness to begin his quest well as he quietly walks to the meeting place; he's quite familiar with the city's layout and thus has little trouble finding his way.

Arriving first, he sees the two humes and approaches them. "You are the ones who will make me an adventurer, yes?" His voice is very deep, and his common is markedly better than many other galka. He speaks slowly and seems to have a look of great concentration as he does.

Volug
2007-10-22, 12:25 PM
Masato

Masato see's the galka pass by, he peeks out from under his red hat to look where he goes. After he hears him ask about being an adventurer he chuckles to himself. heheh, your right again Masato.
He stops leaning on the wall he was by and walks over to the two other Humes.
I'm guessing your the ones looking for adventurers eh? Well I'm here to apply for the job.
His voice sounds "care free", also sounds like he's sure of pretty sure of himself. He speaks at normal tone and gets a smirk on his face as he waits for a reply.

Nu
2007-10-22, 12:59 PM
As the two finish speaking, Rieka pulls a pencil from behind her ear and begins making notes on her clipboard, while Cleades boosts himself up from his leaning position on the wall and speaks in an steady, but vocal tone.

"Ah, yes, we're in charge of registering you adventurers and setting you off on your first assignment. The republic has great need for your talents, it's getting pretty rough out there these days."

Rieka finishes her writing and looks up towards Cleades slightly disdainfully. "Don't get ahead of yourself, Cleades. Let's take this one step at a time before you start scaring them off." The hume woman turns to face the newly arrived galka and hume male standing before her. "All right, first I'm going to need your names."

Volug
2007-10-22, 04:40 PM
Masato

Masato Renoren.
He looks to the Galka curious to what his name is

OOC: I updated my character sheet with some minor tweaking

Crystall_Myr
2007-10-22, 05:58 PM
Saressa

"... no, really, it was this big! Black feathers, scales, fangs, everything! I swear!" A young hume female, with a bright face, blue eyes, long, black hair, and two swords hanging on her sides, smiled as she told her story to a wide-eyed commoner.
"How can you have fangs and a beak at the same time?"
"It... uh... hey, look! It's the adventurer program guys! I need to go talk to them!" Saressa began to slip away,
"You didn't answer my question! How..."

The commoner's voice faded into the distance as Saressa made her way over to Rieka and Cleades. Exchanging a nod with the two others, she moved to the front, ""Saressa Talfrey, but people call me Sari. Sign me up with these two," she says, pointing a thumb at the two people she had just cut in front of.

Volug
2007-10-22, 06:11 PM
Masato

Masato looks questionally to the female Hume that cut in front of him. He dislikes her lack of manners, but shurgs it off.

Little anxious arn't we?

wadledo
2007-10-22, 07:39 PM
Rugu-Woug

It appearys that she isywisys.
Whats there to be nervous aboutaru?

A Tarutaru dressed in the robes of a White Mage of Altana almost dances up towards the humes and galka.

Youses asks for a Healer, yous gets one.
Names Rugu-Woug, the temple sent me.

ooc: I would assume they would at least ask one of the white mage orders to send someone, even if they don't expect a response.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-23, 12:03 AM
"My name is Khoula." He doesn't say anything else as he looks the group over, his face giving away only the faintest trace of interest.

Volug
2007-10-23, 07:10 AM
OOC:
Masato

Masato Renoren.
He looks to the Galka curious to what his name is

OOC: I updated my character sheet with some minor tweaking

I already said my name:smalltongue:

Nu
2007-10-23, 07:33 PM
Rieka finishes her work on her clipboard, then looks up at the group assembled before her. "Good, then. You are all now ready to become adventurers for the republic of Bastok. And so long as you keep adventuring, you won't lose this status anytime soon. Being an adventurer entitles to be rewarded for each individual assignment you complete, as well as access to certain services, such as the moogle-run facilities found in most major cities. These rings I carry are proof of your allegiance." With this, the hume woman reaches into a pouch she has slung to her side and withdraws four thick, ivory rings. She offers them to the four individuals and says, "Cleades, tell them their first assignment. And try not to scare them, it's hardly a terror run."

Cleades grins at this. "Indeed, indeed. Sorry I couldn't provide you with a bit more excitement for your first assignment, but eh, the republic's orders. We gotta prove you're willing to give your all to the republic first. Anyway, Overseer Makarim has requested some aid in the Zeruhn Mines. I don't think it's anything serious, but she's willing to pay you each a hundred gil pieces for your efforts, so I guess it's something worth the trouble. You'd better head over there before they shut down the mines...in five hours...so I guess you really don't HAVE to hurry, but the sooner you get this out of the way, the sooner you get to the exciting stuff, eh? Fighting some beastmen, maybe..."

"Cleades!" Rieka scolds the Legatus, "Honestly. What did I just tell you?"

Volug
2007-10-23, 08:01 PM
Masato

Masato takes the ring and examines it a bit before putting it on.
Thanks alot, though I guess your the ones supposed to say it. heheheh

He chuckles a bit and turns to the others who he is traviling with,

So the mines it is then? And if we only have 5 hours we should hurry and get there. Unless anyone else here has anything to do?

wadledo
2007-10-23, 09:00 PM
Rugu-Woug

Nopesys, lets get going!

He grabs the ring, puts it up to his eye and says I see yous! in the direction of Khoula.
Now waity there. Rugu moves backward, looking through the ring as though he were to paint a picture. Heeee! Come on you slowy pokies! Turning and skipping off in the direction of the mines, his giggles can be heard as far back as where the captain is.

Volug
2007-10-23, 09:56 PM
Well at least someones chearfull. Guess we're going now since there is no stopping him.

He puts on the ring and follows Rugu.

Might as well talk you know? Looks like we are going to be working together for awile.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-24, 10:57 AM
Khoula simply slips on the ring and begins walking to the mines with a decidedly neutral expression.

Crystall_Myr
2007-10-24, 08:03 PM
Saressa

Instead of putting the ring on, Sari begins to attempt to roll the ring across her fingers numerous times. Though she is rarely successful, she catches the ring in mid-air anytime it would fall. She repeats this casually while she follows the rest of the group quietly.

wadledo
2007-10-24, 08:23 PM
The Tarutaru walks behind Khoula, trying to push him faster and making both of them look foolish in the process.
He succeeds in at least making himself look somewhat like a mime.
So gwumpys, why are youseis here?

Nu
2007-10-24, 08:48 PM
OOC:
This is as you enter the mines district. Feel free to continue RPing out that scene as you wish, I'm just giving you a layout of the area outside the mine as you approach it.

Bastok Mines
The mines district is decidedly less busy than the markets. On the way to Zeruhn Mines, you will pass through a massive outdoor excavation site, with a series of wooden walkways and strewn-about mining equipment.

Immediately outside the mine entrance is a broad, light-skinned, muscular galka wearing heavy leather mining equipment and wielding a massive pickaxe. He is sitting on a bench just outside the mine, apparently taking a breather. You'll have to move up a series of stone slopes or several flights of wooden steps to reach him and the entrance to the Zeruhn Mines. Another Galka, this one in full plate armor and with darker complexion stands guard outside the mine. Judging by his position guarding a mine, he's probably an iron brigadier. He has a greataxe strapped to his back. Other than those two, the outdoors area seems fairly clear of life.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-25, 01:42 AM
Khoula doesn't even acknowledge the tarutaru's pushing display, though his words evoke a responce. After a long pause during which Khoula donns a thoughtful visage, he says, "If by 'grumpy,' you mean me, my reasons for adventuring are my own, and I shall keep them to myself."

Volug
2007-10-25, 12:22 PM
Hearing the Galka's response, Masato decides toenter the conversation.

Not to bug or offend, but If you want to keep your reason's private, that is fine. However that doesn't mean you have to sulk around. Be happy and enjoy the thrill of adventure! Though if it is a serious matter, I will leave you alone.

Masato Still has a grin on his face, seeing the Galka guarding the mines he decides to be the one in the group that talks.

You the one guarding the mines? If so, we are here because we heard that you are in need of aid in the mines? We would like to help of course.

Nu
2007-10-25, 05:17 PM
The galka in armor looks down at the hume red mage and responds in an even tone, "You're the ones they sent to help out? The overseer's in the deepest section of the excavation site. You should go on in and see her."

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-26, 12:19 AM
Khoula nods and begins walking towards the deepest section. Since he had worked here in the past, he knows the general layout fairly well.

Volug
2007-10-26, 09:03 AM
Masato

Masato thinks for only a second before he says anything.

If it's in the deepest section will we need a map of some kind? Or is the path straight forward and we don't need one? Though if any of us here has already been here...

He doesn't see Khoula walk passed him as he talks to the guard.

Nu
2007-10-26, 10:30 AM
The iron musketeer tilts his head. "Your companion seems to know the way. But if you just head for the excavation site rather than the supply room, eventually you'll stumble accross her, since all the paths that don't lead shortly to dead ends will have you end up in there. And I think you'll be able to tell which way is the supply room."

Nu
2007-10-26, 02:12 PM
Khoula:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/Magil/Vanadiel/Geography/0011_zeruhn-mines.jpg
You enter from the "Bastok Mines" entrance. The "deepest section" would refer to the small body of water in the cavern furthest to the south. The black X on the map is a sharp drop from north-to-south with a jagged cliff.

Zeruhn Mines

The Zeruhn mines are a small series of tunnels that once served as a great source for darksteel in the post-Crystal War era. Most of it has since been mined out, though small amounts still may exist in the mine, and so digging continues. Most of the time one only hits rocks and the occasional copper vein, but now and then a darksteel source is discovered and that alone keeps the mine in operation.

A large, stone hallway lit by wall-bound lanterns awaits upon immediately entering the mines. Straight down is the gated-off passageway to the Korrokola tunnel, which is currently sealed off due to the dangers within the tunnel. A large galka wearing full plate armor stands guard at the front of this gate. To the right are several supply rooms and a gated-off dock, and to the left is a tunnel that leads to the main excavation site. There don't seem to be very many miners at the site today, though sounds from the direction of the excavation site indicate that there is some mining happening. The dock (on an underground river) is pretty much inaccessible, since the boat runs to the Palborough mines, and travel from Zeruhn to Palborough is currently prohibited due to the overwhelming presence of quadav in the Palborough mines. There isn't even a boat docked there at the moment.

Volug
2007-10-26, 07:57 PM
Masato

Masato follows Khoula, since he apparently knows where he is going.

... I never liked mines. They are kinda dirty in a way.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-26, 09:05 PM
Khoula nods at this. "'Tis hard work, 'tis dirty work, yes. Work we galka are familiar with." There is no attempt to cover the hint of contempt the last part carries.

Khoula will take the shortest route to the deepest section of the mines, making sure to avoid the path with the cliff.

Volug
2007-10-26, 11:00 PM
I'm glad there is people willing to do this stuff when most wouldn't... Gets me thinking a little bit... Are we there yet? Sorry I'm a little anxious.

Masato looks around hoping to see whoever they are looking for.

Crystall_Myr
2007-10-27, 09:26 PM
(Really sorry guys, I was a bit busy today. Hopefully posting should pick up again.)

Upon entering the mines, Sari finally puts the ring on, then moves with the rest of group quietly. She glances consistently from left to right, both curious and wary of the mine, with its close walls and the uncomfortable feeling of rock above one's head. She shudders, "This isn't a natural place for Humes to be. Whether Galka think similarly about themselves I can't say, but this place just gives me creeps."

Nu
2007-10-28, 03:11 AM
You head towards the deep end of the cavern. There don't seem to be too many other miners working here today, though some noise from the storage areas indicates that someone is in there, and you pass another galka laborer as you head deeper into the mines.

Finally, you arrive at the designated area, where there is a hume woman of average height, with blond hair, and wearing chain mail armor in the style of the Bastok legions standing near what appears to be a hole in the ground, filled with water. She was staring at it when you entered, but upon your approach she turns to face you all.

She seems a bit surprised, perhaps not expecting to be suddenly approached by such a large and diverse group, and she asks, "Hmmm? Who are...oh, are you the adventurers I requested be sent?" She scans over the group gathered before her, one by one. "This is probably more than is necessary, but I guess I should be grateful."

Volug
2007-10-28, 05:19 PM
Well if this is more then nessasary maybe this will be easy. He speaks lazily as if he was expecting a challenge of some kind.

Well, what is it we need to do then? This time he hopes for something interesting and exciting.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-28, 09:31 PM
Khoula quietly waits to hear about their mission.

Nu
2007-10-28, 10:11 PM
"Well then, I'll take it you are the adventurers they sent..." the overseer takes out her clipboard and makes some notes, then begins speaking again, "This whole thing is a bureaucratic mess. It pains me to call you out for something like this, but it's all because of the regulations surrounding the Korrokola Tunnel. Since it's not technically within Bastok's jurisdiction, our military can't operate there without a specific order from the president. This poses a problem because technically, everything on the other side of that gate you no doubt passed on the way in is considered a part of the Korrokola tunnel. You adventurers are allowed to go there, however, so that's why I'm calling on you."

The overseer continues, "We've had some major problems with some of our tools and mined ore stores being dissolved recently. We suspect some sort of ooze creature is the cause of it, but we've searched the entire mine and can't find where its striking from. My recent efforts have managed to track it to this water source, which runs underground to the other side of this tunnel...unfortunately we can't reach that area without going beyond the gate. And since it's beyond the gate, not even the brigadiers stationed here to defend the mine can legally take care of this problem! Like I said, it's a bureaucratic nightmare. Anyway, that's what I called you all in for. Go talk to Drake Fang, the brigadier guarding the gate. Since you're registered adventurers, show him your ring and he'll let you through, I've filled him in on the details already. Head out the gate, and follow the underground stream to the left, find and get rid of this damned slime for us. Not the most exciting job, I know, but we'd take care of it ourselves if we could."

She looks up from her clipboard up at you, then looks up towards the ceiling and taps her chin, looking thoughtful, as if attempting to remember something. "Oh, right. Sometimes there are giant leeches from Korrokola itself that are attracted to the dampness of the area, so I wouldn't be surprised if you ran into one or two. They may or may not attack, so you'd probably be best off not aggravating them if you can avoid it. Once you've knocked off the ooze for us, deliver this report to Naji of the mythril brigadiers. Today he's stationed outside the president's office in the Metalworks," as she says this, she offers you a piece of paper from her clipboard, which appears to be a mining status report. "He should have more information for you on your further adventuring services."

Volug
2007-10-29, 06:42 PM
He nods his head quitely while listening,

Sounds simple enough, now, Khoula? Maybe you should take the lead, you know your way around here better then I do.

He waits for the others to start walking before he follows.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-30, 09:29 AM
Khoula's expression darkens a bit as the woman says the galka guard's name is "Drake Fang," but he says nothing. He takes the offered piece of paper and nods to Masato's words. "Indeed, I know this area well enough; follow me and we shall be done with this quickly." He starts walking back to the gate.

Nu
2007-10-30, 05:29 PM
You arrive back at the gate in short order, and the armored galka nods at you as you approach.

"Going to take care of the slime problem, eh? Have fun in there," he says as he moves slightly to the side, revealing a lever behind his foot. The guard grips it tightly with both hands and pushes it, and though the lever seems difficult to move it's no match for the galkan guard's strength. The gate creaks open noisly, revealing a much wider cavern with a higher ceiling. There are still lanterns wedged into the walls here and there, providing plenty of light, and illuminating the shallow underground stream that passes through here. Though it gets deeper as it heads to the right, your destination is to the left, where it is easily at a wading level for all but a short tarutaru. There is a landbridge that passes over that leads to the Korrokola tunnel, but that is not your destination. Rather, the most inviting means of passage if you don't want to get your feet wet are the drier stretches of clear ground that run along both the near and far sides of the stream, heading to the left.

Khoula is not as familiar with this particular section of the mine as it's not typically an area where the miners operate, but there don't seem to be any side passages or anything in plain sight. If the slime is out here, it won't be difficult to find.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-31, 11:09 AM
Khoula keeps moving forward down the tunnel. He calmly states, "I am not as familiar with this area as the mine's entrance; miners do not work here often."

wadledo
2007-11-02, 02:08 PM
Den foward, to our DOOM!
Rugu marches to the left.

Volug
2007-11-02, 05:00 PM
Guess we should be a bit careful. I'll be in the middle so I can assist anywhere when needed, since that is what I'm good at.

Masato takes his position in the middle, and follows.

OOC
Sorry for not posting >_<
I've had a tight schedule this week

Crystall_Myr
2007-11-02, 07:13 PM
Saressa

Sari follows closely behind, sliding her Wakizashi out of it's sheath, and looking from left to right warily.

[roll0], [roll1]

Nu
2007-11-02, 10:48 PM
You all move forward slowly, and as you move back in the specified direction, the water gradually gets shallower and shallower until soon it is barely ankle-deep. Shortly thereafter you come accross what must be the offending ooze, as it's a puddle of dark purple goop sitting in the middle of the shallow water. It doesn't seem to notice you, or at least it has yet to react, and you are about 80 feet from it.

Though it doesn't appear to be moving you all hear it "glop" and "gloop" is its body shifts at irregular intervals, being just a big blob of ooze.

The passage is still lit by lanterns, but one of them seems to have burned out and you cannot see much further than the ooze. Those with darkvision will be able to see more once they get closer. The immediate area is still lit well enough to see, however.

Spot and Listen checks
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
Saressa can use the ones she already rolled.

DC15 Spot Check
There appears to be a leech attached to the ceiling between you and the slime, about 20 feet away from the slime itself.

DC15 Listen Check
Something is splashing in the water behind you. It's a very distant sound, but it sounds like something small slapping the water every few seconds. It doesn't appear to be getting closer.

Crystall_Myr
2007-11-03, 02:04 PM
Sarresa

"Careful, there's something on the ceiling," Sari points out, before turning to see if she can tell what is making the noise behind her.

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-03, 09:16 PM
Khoula whispers, "A sound from behind as well... I shall approach with caution." Khoula begins creeping towards the slime, allowing his darkvision to guide him and doing his best to keep an ear on whatever is making the splashing noise behind him. He occasionally glances upwards in an attempt to spot whatever is on the ceiling.

Nu
2007-11-03, 11:49 PM
As you approach the slime, the sound of water splashing in the distance grows more faint. Saressa can't see anything from this distance, but whatever it is, it must be pretty far away and fairly small in order to make such a sound but not be visible.

After examination of the ceiling, anyone who looks for a few moments can see the vague shape of the leech there. The only movements it is making seems to be breathing steadily, and neither it nor the slime seem to react to your approach, until suddenly, the slime jerks upwards suddenly, and begins to move slowly away from you, though it can't seem to move very fast.

Battle Map
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/Magil/Vanadiel/battlemapBS1-1A.png

Initiative rolls
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Turn Order
1. Saressa
2. Masato
3. Slime
4. Leech
5. Rugu
6. Khoula

OOC:
Feel free to post out of order if you feel like it, we can change your actions to match the new situation if needed. I don't think any of you have weapons drawn, so for those of you who want to use weapons you'd probably need to spend a move action drawing them. Unless I missed you drawing your weapons somewhere.

Crystall_Myr
2007-11-04, 07:17 PM
Saressa

Saressa draws her dagger, and moves into a more tactical position.

OOC
I drew my main-hand Wakizashi already, in a previous post. Moving two to the left and two forward.

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-04, 08:50 PM
((Could have sworn I posted my actions earlier))

Khoula calmly begins approaching the slime, making certain to side-step around the leech on the ceiling.

Khoula will approach the slime on the shortest route that doesn't involve him getting beneath the leech. If he can get to the slime and attack, he will attack with a pair of punches. If another party member is in danger, he will do his best to get between them and whatever is attacking them without regard for his own safety.

Rolls:

Punch one attack/damage: (1d20+5=16, 1d6+4=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1353749)
Punch two attack/damage: (1d20+3=18, 1d6+4=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1353751)

Volug
2007-11-04, 09:13 PM
Masato quickly draws out his long sword.

OOC

GAH! I forgot to draw it! :smallfrown:
That will teach me...

Nu
2007-11-04, 10:51 PM
As you Saressa creeps into position and Masato draws his weapon, the slime lurches away from you. It apparently isn't in any hurry to rush into a fight.

The leech makes absolutely no movements.

Updated Battle Map
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/Magil/Vanadiel/battlemapBS1-1B.png

OOC:
It is now Rugu's action.

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-05, 12:43 PM
((In light of the updated map, Khoula will simply double-move to get to the slime, 9 up and 2 right))

wadledo
2007-11-05, 03:21 PM
OOC: Sorry, powers been out for days.

Rugu casts Protect and moves up 2 and over 1 towards the leech.

AC is now 17.

Nu
2007-11-05, 08:14 PM
As if prepared for the adventurer's approach, the leech drops from the ceiling when Rugu draws near, and immediately attacks the red mage.

[roll0] vs AC 17
If Hit:
[roll1]

However, the leech's attack misses utterly, and it splashes back down as its lunge fails.

Meanwhile, Khoula has the slime within his grasp, and escape now seems much more difficult for their target.

Round 2

Music selection: Battle in the Dungeon (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?fbrvimi02gm)

Battle Map:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/Magil/Vanadiel/battlemapBS1-1C.png

Crystall_Myr
2007-11-06, 01:30 AM
Saressa AC: 16, HP: 7, TP: 0

Saressa, spotting the leech fall from the ceiling, rolls in between Rugu and Masato, then side-steps behind the leech, catching it from behind, and executes a single quick slash with her wakizashi while it distracts itself with attacking Rugu.

[roll0] (+2 from flanking bonus), [roll1] [roll2]

I don't believe a I get a sneak attack against leeches, but [roll3] just in case.

Nu
2007-11-06, 01:52 AM
OOC:
Whoops, think I made a mistake. Oh well, I'll be fixing it later. You can attack leeches, but you miss. I need to look at positioning, that may not be right what I have on the map.

Saressa's attack misses the leech entirely, as it simply shifts its body out of the way of her incoming wakizashi.

Battle Map:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/Magil/Vanadiel/battlemapBS1-1D.png

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-06, 12:22 PM
Khoula calls out, "I shall distract the slime for now; join me when the leech is no more." With that, he does his best to stay on the leech (should it try to escape) and sends a pair of punches at the thing.

Khoula will move with the slime and, unless it moves more than 30 ft away, send a few punches its way. If it does move that far away, he'll simply do his best to keep up with it.

Punch 1 AR/DR: (1d20+6=12, 1d6+4=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1357057)
Punch 2 AR/DR: (1d20+4=9, 1d6+4=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1357059)
Bah, probably neither one hits...

Volug
2007-11-06, 08:04 PM
Masato dodges the attack and counters it with his own move.

[roll0]
if hit...
[roll1]

Nu
2007-11-06, 11:15 PM
OOC:
Heh, turns out I made a mistake earlier. But I'll roll with it. I'll just say that Saressa is, in fact, flanking opposite Masato. I'll work it in your favor since it was me who made the mistake.

Masato's blow misses the leech cleanly, as its small frame halfway submerged in the water makes for a difficult target.

The slime, confronted by the massive galka, throws itself into battle, attempting to slam the monk with one of a pseudo-appendage.

[roll0] vs AC 15
If Hit:1d4+3

The ooze-like creature misses the monk entirely, only lightly slapping the surface of the water.

Since the leech's initiative moved last round, it is now Rugu's turn.

Altered Battle Map
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/Magil/Vanadiel/battlemapBS1-1E.png

wadledo
2007-11-06, 11:25 PM
>move 2 north<
Cast Banish [roll0] on the leech.
"AWAY with de!"

Nu
2007-11-07, 07:58 PM
White energy spirals around the leech before converging on the hapless creature, and it shrieks in pain. However, it seems to still be quite alive and kicking. It responds by attempting to bite the offending white mage in turn.

[roll0] vs. Rugu AC 17

The leech is repelled by Rugu's protect spell, and light energy cackles as the its body rebounds.

Khoula pounds at the slime. The first punch merely rolls accross the slime's blubbery body, while the second narrowly misses the small frame of the ooze.

Round 3
Positions on the map are unchanged, except that Rugu has moved north 2 (missed that on the first time around, I'll change it in a bit).

It is now Saressa's action.

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-08, 12:05 AM
Khoula says, "Save spells for this; my punches don't seem to be working." His voice is calm and even, and he throws two more punches even as he speaks.

OOC:Guys, I'm pretty sure this thing has some serious DR; I'm not going to do much unless I get a lucky damage roll. Try to conserve MP for this if you can.Actions/Rolls:If the slime attempts to run again, Khoula will simply catch up with it. If he can, another pair of punches. Do I get any TP for the first attack? I'm not sure if that was a miss due to natural armor or a hit that did nothing thanks to the DR I'm sure this thing has.

Punch 1 AR/DR: (1d20+6=22, 1d6+4=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1360406) (BOOYA!)
Punch 2 AR/DR: (1d20+4=12, 1d6+4=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1360408) (Good times if it manages to hit)

Crystall_Myr
2007-11-08, 12:54 AM
Saressa AC: 16, HP: 7, TP: 0

Saressa twirls her two blades, and lashes out with both, at the leech.

[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]
[roll4], [roll5]
[roll6],

Nu
2007-11-08, 01:55 AM
Saressa's wakizashi slices open the leech, and it collapses into the water instantly.

Volug
2007-11-08, 10:23 AM
Masato

After the Leech falls, Masato will quickly turn and try to kill the last enemy.
Last one!

Rolls

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

If he cannot get there on this turn he will go as far towards it as possible

Nu
2007-11-09, 12:17 AM
Masato approaches the slime evenly, rounding behind it.

OOC:
It was too far to reach in one turn. You had to double-move to get close to it.

The slime, quite threatened by the galka's attempted attacks, attempts to slap back with an attack of its own.

[roll0] vs. AC 15
If Hit:[roll1]

Khoula easily avoids the blow.

Now Rugu's action.

Battle Map
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/Magil/Vanadiel/battlemapBS1-1F.png

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-09, 01:18 AM
Slight modifier to Khoula's action: He will take a five foot step one square up so that he flanks the slime with Masato.

Crystall_Myr
2007-11-09, 02:21 AM
Saressa AC: 14, HP: 7, TP: 10

Saressa quickly steps to the side, then rushes the slime, striking at it with her katana.

Stating actions ahead of time here, to speed things up.

Five-foot-step to the right, charge the slime.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Nu
2007-11-09, 02:43 AM
OOC:
You can't take a 5-foot step in the same round as a charge. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#charge) More or less, since you can't take a 5-foot step and then use any form of movement, you also can't take a 5-foot step and then charge. Sorry.

wadledo
2007-11-09, 10:31 AM
Actions:
move 4 up,
If I can, draw club.

Volug
2007-11-09, 10:37 AM
OOC:

I am at school. So I'm posting now

Masato moves up to the slim and Tries to finish off the slime with his sword.

Rolls

[roll0]
[roll1]
If crit...
[roll2]
[roll3]

((So I get a nat 20 and then I botch :smallannoyed: ))

Nu
2007-11-09, 12:05 PM
Khoula's first punch causes a large portion of the slime's body to splatter, but the second only manages to scrape the surface of the ooze's reforming body.

Saressa approaches the slime, but doesn't reach it before Masato slices into the slime's body with his sword, neatly dividing the creature into two halves. It quivers briefly before it ceases movement and its body begins to dissipate into the water.

Battle Over

Volug
2007-11-09, 01:17 PM
Masato

Masato keeps his sword in hand. He looks at his fellow party members and looks for injuries.

Anyone hurt? Doesn't seem like it. We should keep moving just in case if there is more.

Masato will continue down the tunnel when everyone else does.

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-09, 09:58 PM
Khoula says, "A simple thing... I do not think anyone was hurt. Our orders were to take care of the slime alone; I believe we are done. We should return to the overseer, aye? Be cautious; there was something in the water behind us. I never did see what it was."

Crystall_Myr
2007-11-12, 06:04 PM
Saressa

Saressa doesn't sheath her weapons yet, but nods, at Khoula's comment and begins moving cautiously towards where the noise had come from before the fight.

Nu
2007-11-13, 02:53 AM
Searching back the way you came, you don't find anything. Either it's hiding somewhere, or it scurried off during the fight.

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-13, 03:31 AM
Khoula keeps his eyes out for whatever caused the sound, but continues the walk to the overseer without slowing down.

Nu
2007-11-13, 07:08 PM
The trip to the overseer is otherwise uneventful, should you all continue onwards. Drake Fang waves you onwards through the gate easily. Once you arrive in the deepest section of the mine, you see her again facing the pool of water, but she turns to face you upon your approach.

"I take it you've taken care of the slime problem? Thank you. I have your reward here," with this, overseer Makarim reaches into her pouch, and removes four smaller pouches, handing each of you one. Inside is the promised one hundred gil pieces (gp, same as gold pieces). "And don't forget to deliver that report to Naji in the Metalworks. He'll provide you with additional information on adventuring and see that you are all entered into the adventurers' registry.

Volug
2007-11-13, 07:10 PM
Masato

Masato takes the pouch with a smile on his face.

Thank you. Now lets get to the Metalworks shall we?

Masato will walk to the direction needed to go to the Metalworks to deliver the report.

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-14, 07:58 AM
Khoula seems unmoved by the offered gold, simply pocketing it and turning to go to the Metalworks.

Nu
2007-11-15, 08:59 AM
Music selection: Metalworks (http://www.mediafire.com/?eeum29ozwjh)

The Metalworks. Regarded as the steaming heart of Bastok, the Metalworks is a large building that hangs over the northern end of the Bastok market, atop a massive stone archway near the residential area and the Mog Houses. Inside the structure is a large, yet compact series of refineries, workshops, and a factory for metalworking. This is the primary location in which the metals mined from Bastok's outlying territories is processed and readied for use. The top of the structure is occupied by smokestacks on the western end, beneath which lies several refineries and the lab of the famous Bastokan engineer, Cid. On the east side of the roof, below the smokestacks, lay the political offices of Bastok--the consulates for the other three nations, the President's office (which also contains the headquarters for the Bastok trade commission, the Department of Mining, and other important government offices), and the office for the President's Aide. A pair of lift-like elevators carries passengers from the base floor to the roof, where the offices are.

The overseer originally indicated that Naji could be found near the president's office, standing guard.

wadledo
2007-11-17, 08:39 PM
Rugu goes to Naji, forcing the others along if need be.

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-17, 11:30 PM
Khoula continues onwards as well.

Crystall_Myr
2007-11-18, 02:19 PM
As does Saressa, still toying with one of the gold pieces from the reward.

Volug
2007-11-18, 05:36 PM
((Sorry I couldn't post, life got in the way. I can't do much right now either so God-Mode if neccessary.))

Nu
2007-11-18, 08:48 PM
As the four of you emerge from the lift to the upper level of the Metalworks, you are greeting by the four stone buildings that contain the consulates and the aid's office, and a long, open stone path leading to a much larger stone building that is the president's office. There are a few officials milling about, and iron brigadiers guarding the various offices, but the man you are looking for seems to be walking directly towards you.

"Hail and well met, adventurers," the man calls out to you. He is dressed in mythril chain mail that is shining with various colors, and wields at his side a sword that glows a soft blue, and a sturdy darksteel buckler at his other side. He wears long, black trousers and a tabard with the symbol of Bastok. Judging by the apparent 'glow' of the man's equipment, there can be no mistake: this is a mythril brigadier, and likely the one you are looking for, Naji. "I was told to be expecting some like you, and given our surroundings, I can only assume you are the ones I am looking for."

Knowledge (local or history) DC 10
Naji is a red mage and one of the mythril brigadiers.

Knowledge (local or history) DC 15
Naji is a more recent addition to the mythril brigadiers, having just been promoted immediately prior to the Crystal War. In battle, he acts as a support unit to the other brigadiers if he is needed.

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-18, 10:20 PM
Khoula simply nods at the man. "You would be Naji, then." He holds out the report given to him earlier and adds, "We were told to deliver this to you."

Nu
2007-11-20, 03:51 AM
OOC:
For defeating the ooze and delivering the report, you receive 400 XP total in addition to your money reward.

Naji frowns and takes the report. He seems a bit upset about something, and shakes his head as he looks over the report in near frantic disbelief.

"What, what?! They've got you adventurers in the service now and they're having you clean up a bureaucratic mess in the mines and using you as errand-boys?" With this, he looks up at the four of you sympathetically and continues on, "How...silly! This kind of task is a waste of your talents! Surely the republic could get better use out of such fine adventurers as yourselves..." Suddenly, the hume's face brightens, and he says, "I know! How about I find something a lot more interesting for you to do, eh? Surely you've all heard of Bastok's chief engineer, Cid?"

OOC:
Everyone has almost certainly at least HEARD of him.

Knowledge (local or history) DC 10, considered common knowledge for citizens of Bastok
Cid is famous throughout Vana'diel for his numerous contributions to Bastok's technological superiority. The aged hume is regarded a genius by all who know him.

Knowledge (local or history) DC 15
Cid is responsible for the design of the explosives used in the Crystal War, as well as many cutting edge techniques for using materials like darksteel and adamantine for various engineering purposes.

Knowledge (local or history) DC 20
Cid is also largely responsible for the design of the airships in Jeuno's service that shuttle passengers between the three great nations, though it is said that the archduke Kam'lanaut assisted in their design.

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-21, 03:01 PM
Khoula shrugs at this. "Of course. What exactly do you have in mind?"

Crystall_Myr
2007-11-27, 01:41 AM
(Back. Sorry for my absence.)

Saressa nods along with Khoula, curious as to what the group might be assigned to do next.

Nu
2007-11-28, 01:31 AM
"Well, you see," Naji begins, "Cid and I go way back, since shortly before the Crystal War. He calls on me to help him with matters when I have free time. Recently, he gave me a small favor to help him in one of his experiments, as he's been very busy lately and has been unable to leave the laboratory." With this, the hume pulls out a small, handhold devices of some sort. There are several readings on there for temperature, humidity, and other readings that appear meaningless, but there is also a single white light on there that blinks slowly as an indicator. "Cid says that this gadget here can detect a geological irregularity below the surface of Vana'diel. He suspects there's something going on in the Dangruf Wadi--a small, open-air, hot springs like area southwest of Gustaberg. He wants you to locate this irregularity with use of this device...the indicator will blink red instead of white when you find it, and the coordinates will be recorded in the device. So find the anomaly and bring the device back to Cid in his lab."

Naji offers you the device and explains further, "We can't just send anyone because of recent reports of increased activity of goblin diggers and bandits in the Wadi. But you all are tough enough to deal with a few goblins if that becomes a problem, yes? I would've gone myself, but the problem is, an order just came in from the president, and as important as Cid is around here, the president's orders come before personal favors from our chief engineer. Cid seemed really anxious for this though, so I don't wanna keep him waiting while I take care of this matter, so you could do everyone a favor by doing this."

The hume gives a quick laugh at the end of his speech, "And when he finds out I've sent a bunch of adventurers in my stead, he's going to be a bit miffed at me, but he'll be sure to make it well worth your time. I'm not sure how, but Cid has a lot of pull around here, so I'd expect a good-sized reward of some sort."

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-29, 07:05 PM
Khoula shrugs. "If you're willing to deal with the consequences, I don't see why not."

Crystall_Myr
2007-11-30, 08:51 PM
"Sounds good!" Saressa agrees, "Let's do it!"

Nu
2007-12-02, 08:32 AM
Naji laughs again at the response. "Oh, don't worry about me. I might get a few strong words, but not much more," the hume says, handing over the device, which is barely larger than a hume's hand, certainly much smaller than Khoula's hand. "Anyway, like I said, goblin activity has been reported at the Wadi recently, but I'm sure you adventuring-types are well-prepared for that kind of thing. Good luck out there!"

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-02, 06:58 PM
Khoula takes the offered device and nods. "Very well, it shall be done. We bring this back to Cid when we're done, or bring it to you?"

Nu
2007-12-07, 04:31 AM
"Just go ahead and take it to Cid," Naji replies in an easy going manner. "I may still be out on assignment from the president." With this, the red mage turns and begins to walk towards the president's office.

Crystall_Myr
2007-12-08, 05:03 PM
Saressa turns to her group members, "Alright! Let's do this!"

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-08, 11:27 PM
Khoula turns about and says, "So we g--wait. Where did everyone else go? I'm not certain just two of us would be a good way to go about this..."

Yuki Akuma
2007-12-15, 07:01 AM
A voice sounds, wavering uncertainly. "Is this the place, Petata? Seems kinda... desterted..." It's rather obvious which of the pair walking into the Metalworks this voice belongs to; it's much too high pitched and adorable to belong to a mithra. The tarutaru looks up at his companion. "Maybe whoever gave us the tip was a meanie-weanie and was trying to mislead us?"

The small, blue-garbed figure obviously sounds intelligent, but the sing-song way he speaks is slightly offputting. Not many tarutaru in Bastok, after all.

tonberryking
2007-12-15, 12:28 PM
Petal

"Nn. I don't think it's Not th' place we're supposed to meet at, bro'. comes another voice noncommittally. Accompanying her... uh... bro, is an oddly voluptuous (by ANY standards; hume, mithra, galka or otherwise) mithra decked out in a violet outfit with a scarf of red silk wrapped loosely about her shoulders. Her skin is dark olive and her hair by contrast is ...pink.

"Besides, I gave too good a shake of th' hips for him to be lying. He's a sucker for lookers."

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-16, 11:03 AM
The newcomers fail to catch Khoula's attention; he seems rather annoyed that the others have vanished. He turns to Saressa and says, "Were they not with us but moments ago? Where could they have gone between the mines and here?"

Crystall_Myr
2007-12-18, 07:32 PM
Saressa

Saressa shrugs, "Hmm, yeah, they must have left as we entered the metalworks. Maybe adventuring was too much for them."

Nu
2007-12-29, 05:21 PM
Suddenly, from the direction Naji was headed, a desperate-looking male hume comes running. This one seems to also be a member of the Bastok Legions, but lower-ranking than the ones you've seen before. He wears scale mail and carries an ordinary longsword, and stops just in front of Khoula and Saressa, panting. "Ex-excuse me, were you just speaking with Naji a few moments ago? The adventurers he sent off to the Wadi?" he asks rather loudly.

Yuki Akuma
2007-12-29, 05:34 PM
Tageru looks up at his sister, grinning. "Did you hear that, Petata? Two of their friends ran away~! That means we can take their place! Oh, I hope they need a coupla magies.."

Magies.

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-29, 10:34 PM
Khoula turns and looks down to the newcomer with a raised eyebrow. "Indeed we are. Calm yourself, hume; what could have you coming to us in such a rush?"

Crystall_Myr
2007-12-31, 04:03 PM
Saressa

Saressa puts her hand on her sword, and begins to look around for anything out of the ordinary, wondering what caused this soldier to be so desperate.

Nu
2008-01-01, 04:52 AM
The soldier appears worried about...something, but it's hard to tell what until he starts speaking, "I believe the brigadier may have been underestimating the danger involved in this mission...merely sending two adventurers deep into the Dangruf Wadi, with the reports we have been receiving," the hume stops here manages to catch his breath, wipes his brow, and straighten his posture. "The brigadier is somewhat reckless; he forgets that not everyone is as experienced in fighting the beastmen as he is. Goblins, in particular, are known to love sneak attacks and fight dirty. I believe you should seek out some fellow adventurers for help with this task. I'd love to have someone from the military accompany you, but, ah, I'm afraid not only is my rank too low to give such an order, but this assignment is completely unofficial. I must apologize on Naji's behalf for this blunder."

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-01, 08:35 PM
Khoula crosses his arms."Until very recently, we were four. We're not foolish enough to go on this mission with just the two of us; we were just discussing the situation when you arrived, trying to determine where the others might have gone. It's clear that they're gone, though, so now we need to find another two or three adventurers to come with us..." At this last bit, he frowns and shakes his head.

Yuki Akuma
2008-01-02, 09:03 AM
"Did someone say 'adventuwers'?" comes a voice from way down near the ground! Tageru has crept up on the hume and galka, you see. "Well, you're in luck! My sistaru Peteta and I happen to be the bestest adventuwers in all of Bastok!" A bold-faced lie.

It is somewhat disconcerting to suddenly find a Taru grinning up at you...

tonberryking
2008-01-02, 01:12 PM
Petal

Stop calling me Petata in front of the nice adventurers, bro' ...

Petal, for her part, seems to regard this situation with the indifference of a cat up until now, merely following behind her big brother silently.

'm Petal. Anyway, we are the best adventurers in Bastok... at least on such short notice, I guess.

Stifling a yawn, the mithra gives the monk and thief a look over. I think we can get this job done with what we got on hand, though...

Yuki Akuma
2008-01-02, 04:07 PM
Tageru looks up at his sister, frowning. "The 'nice adventuwers' haven't even said yes yet, Petata." He makes sure to emphasise the word. He then grins, and bows towards the two. "I am Tageru-Bageru, Black Magie, at your service."

tonberryking
2008-01-02, 04:13 PM
Petal

The red mage looks around. "...I don't think they're gonna get many other offers, 'bro. Besides, you sound like you don't want them to do this or something..."

Petal saunters up closer to Saressa and Khoula. No offense, or anything; but we'd be glad to help nonetheless...

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-03, 01:57 AM
Khoula raises an eyebrow at the newcomers. "Best adventurers in Bastok? I am skeptical." He takes a moment to look the two over before adding, "Yet we've little choice in the matter; 'twould be beyond foolish to go without more support." He nods and places a hand over his chest. "I am Khoula."

Crystall_Myr
2008-01-04, 03:12 PM
Saressa

Saressa shrugs at the quite unexpected appearance of the two, "I'm Saressa, good to have more on the team again."

Yuki Akuma
2008-01-04, 04:54 PM
The Taru performs a deep bow, his hat drifting down his head slightly due to gravity. "Pleased to meetaru you." He gives another little grin, looking up. "So! Maybe we should ask what we've gotten ourselves into?"

Nu
2008-01-05, 03:35 AM
"Ah, well, it appears that you have the help you need now," the hume soldier says, bowing his head hurriedly. "I'm sure with this group, you'll be much safer traveling to and about the Dangruf Wadi. I'll leave it to you to fill in the details for your new companions, then. If you'll excuse me, I do have other matters that probably need attending to, knowing Naji..." With this, the hume turns and runs off in the same direction Naji had wandered.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-05, 08:56 PM
Khoula nods at this. "Very well." Turning to the newcomers, he says, "The short of it is that we need to travel to Dangruf Wadi and search about until the light on this device--" indicating the machine he'd been given by Naji, "--blinks red instead of white. This indicates that we have found a 'geological irregularity' according to Naji. I'm not certain what exactly that means, but apparently it is important for Doctor Cid's research."

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-11, 10:41 AM
Khoula begins heading in the direction of Dangruf Wadi and expects the others to follow.

Crystall_Myr
2008-01-11, 06:43 PM
Saressa nods, and falls in step behind.

Nu
2008-01-12, 05:24 AM
In order to reach the Dangruf Wadi, passage through southern Gustaberg will be required. The brigadiers stationed at the gates wish you luck as you pass outside the city walls and into the barren wastes of Gustaberg though the southwestern exit of the markets.

The road that immediately exits the city will lead you past Vomp Hill, a very large hill (or very small mountain) that occupies the center of southern Gustaberg. Another large, unscalable hill is just beyond Vomp Hill, and your journey will take you far south and west to the Fumaroles, a series of geysers just outside the narrow passageway that serves as the entrance to the Dangruf Wadi.

Wildlife in the Gustaberg region is hardy. Crabs occupy the eastern shores, but you won't see any of those on your journey unless you get very much off course. Giant bees can also be found to the east, but the wildlife to the west is pretty much just land worms and giant lizards. The absence of vegetation and thick soil make for a well-defended home for the worms, and the giant lizards in particular are fond of the warmth and moisture of the geysers.

Yuki Akuma
2008-01-12, 08:20 AM
Tageru trots along, hands behind his head, as if he had no cares in the world. He even hums to himself, tunelessly. He's not really acting much like an adventurer being lead into dangerous territory...

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-13, 02:29 PM
As the group reaches the city gates, Khoula throws a sidelong glance to his mithra ally and says, "Petal, you said your name was... You did not mention what your skills are. Before we venture into truly dangerous territory, I think it best I know why my allies are capable of."

tonberryking
2008-01-15, 05:57 PM
Petal

Yawning behind her hand, Petal takes a moment of casual strolling before answering. "Mn. Red mage, red magic... she indicates her red scarf. After a moment it seems that there's nothing else to be said; the mithra is possessed of few words. ...That or she's a little scatterbrained.

Though since you wanted to know, I have a few healing spells armed up...

Nu
2008-01-17, 03:31 AM
Music Selection: Gustaberg (http://www.mediafire.com/?3i1himthgdw)

The Fumaroles mark the entrance to the Dangruf Wadi. As you approach, it seems that the geysers are indeed very active, as steam spews forth from the rocks even as you enter the area. Though for whatever reason the nearby sea doesn't bring much humidity to the air in the Gustaberg region, this area is very humid and the rock here is very wet and worn down as a result of the active geysers. None of the geysers seem to be shooting with a very large amount of force, though the water is quite hot.

A few lizards grow as you pass by, but anytime you approach one it scampers away. Finally, the meeting of the south and west walls into a narrow passage comes into view, marking the entrance to the area known as the Dangruf Wadi. The closer you get to the entrance, the more moisture becomes apparent--there are even shallow pools of water here and there, filling small depressions in the earth (perhaps collapsed, inactive geysers).

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-18, 07:17 PM
Khoula brings out the device and says, "If no one has any objections, I will carry this and keep an eye on it."

Crystall_Myr
2008-01-20, 12:35 AM
Saressa

"Fine by me," Saressa comments, slowing drawing her main-hand blade, and keeping a wary eye out for danger.

[roll0]

Yuki Akuma
2008-01-20, 07:36 AM
Tageru waves a hand. "I have no idea what that thingy does, so I'll leave it in your hopefully capable hands."

tonberryking
2008-01-20, 10:22 AM
Petal

"Wait, wait; do You," Petal indicates Khoula "Know how it works? You only said something about the light changing colors..."

Petal's ears flit about her head and disdainfully sniffs at the sight of the water. 'S probably too late to ask, come to think..."

Nu
2008-01-21, 06:40 AM
The entrance to the Wadi appears clear. The sun is beginning its decent, but it will be a little while before nightfall.

Approaching the narrow passage, you can see on the other side is a wide-open section of the wadi that splits to the north, north-east, and east. The ground is damp stone, and there are more geysers inside, as well as small cliffs, scattered vegetation, and what appear to be lizard droppings.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-21, 11:02 AM
In response to Petal's query, Khoula shrugs. "I honestly know all you know about this device. However, as long as this light is blinking," here, he pauses to indicate the (hopefully still blinking) light on the device, "we'll be fine. Our task, in a nutshell, is to walk around until it blinks a different color. I see little need for familiarity with its function."

Nu
2008-01-23, 07:29 AM
The light is still behaving normally. As of yet, there is no change in the condition of the device, as the light is still white and blinking, indicating that no geological irregularity in the immediate area.

Nu
2008-01-31, 04:36 AM
The immediate area is vacant of anything interesting; the area is just large and open. The entire area is open-air, and the passages are more or less just created by thick natural stone formations that create "walls."

The the north is a narrower passage that leads slightly upward and seems to grow damper as it slopes upward steadily. You can't see too far down the passage from here, but it appears that there is some sort of turn just ahead that leads to a steeper north.

To the northeast is a passage that is both wider and steadier. It appears to open to another area in the distance, though you can't see much from here aside from some steam. There are probably more geysers in that direction. The path also slopes upward, but a bit more gradually than the north passage.

To the east is another narrow passage that seems to slope slightly downward and is thicker with vegetation. The plants are dark and apparently well-adapted to the steamy environment. About 20~25 feet down that passage is a sudden drop off, though you can't tell how steep the drop is from here.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-31, 12:23 PM
Khoula places a hand on his chin. He frowns as he says, "I've no idea which path would lead us to our goal. I'm not even clear on what a 'geothermal irregularity' implies." He turns to his allies and says, "Have you a preference on which way we go?"

tonberryking
2008-02-01, 10:32 AM
Petal

Looking between the trio of pathways (and, for some reason, back the way they came) the capricious mithra raises her right hand. Omitting the north path entirely she looks between the remaining two and points to the east after another moment's hesitation, her expression still slightly sleepy (or indifferent).

Crystall_Myr
2008-02-02, 03:32 AM
"East it is then," Saressa nods, Let's go."

And with that, she begins to walk (carefully) down the passage.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-02, 12:42 PM
Khoula shrugs. "'Tis as good as any, I suppose." He too begins walking to the east.

Nu
2008-02-04, 12:36 AM
Once in the eastern passageway, you find that the drop-off is less than ten feet. There would be no danger in simply jumping down. The air seems a bit cooler here, though the air is still fairly thick with moisture. Just ahead of the drop-off is an opening to a larger area, with medium-size rocks and thin pillars strewn about the area. The rocks are large enough for creatures of medium size or smaller to hide behind, and there are three of them within 100 or so feet of the entrance. The pillars are too thin to conceal anything, and most are less than ten feet tall. The walls and corners of this area have thick clusters of plants, and in the distance, it looks like there might be a lizard's nest in one of the far corners. The angle of your approach keeps you from seeing the near corners until you actually enter the area.

Yuki Akuma
2008-02-04, 05:12 AM
Tageru follows along beside his sister, arms behind his head. He doesn't have anything to contribute; he's not entirely sure what they're here to do, and he doesn't particularly want to make that obvious.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-04, 05:52 PM
Khoula keeps the device out, occasionally checking it as he moves forward into the area. Seeing a possible lizard next nearby has him on guard, and he proceeds forward slowly.

tonberryking
2008-02-06, 10:02 AM
Petal

"Hmm. Suspicious...."

Upon viewing the premises, Petal looks around for a decent size stone that can fit in her palm, and while still on the ledge, she rears back and hurls it into the cavern, not particularly aiming for the nest or even a target. As the stone flies she perks an ear up to listen for any potential stirrings.

Spot and listen (1d20+3=13, 1d20+3=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1483542/)

Nu
2008-02-07, 09:50 PM
OOC:
If you say something else here, disregard it.

Entering into this open area, you find that it is about one hundred and thirty feet accross west-to-east, and about eighty feet wide north-to-south. There are four large stones, three to the south of the entrance about evenly spaced out accross to the east exit, and one to the north far back near the exit.

Speaking of the exit, it is another narrow opening into another passage about fifteen feet wide, just like the one you came out of, situated to the far east of this stretch of land. Wedged into the southwest corner about thirty feet away from the exit is a lizard nest, and there is a lizard there. Though it seems to have noticed you, it is minding its own business for now.

The near corners are clear, though some plants have clustered into the corners and are running up some of the cliff-sides for whatever reason. The scattered stone pillars make a straight-up run through this area pretty much impossible.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-13, 08:45 PM
((Sorry, I had completely forgotten about this; I thought I had replied earlier.))

"Let us avoid the lizard nest for now, I think... No need to stir them up." Assuming the light on the device hasn't changed and there is no protest from the rest of the group, Khoula will return the way they came, suggesting the northeast trail when they return to the crossroads.