PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed magic fang with special bonus

Pelor3.0
2020-02-22, 07:56 AM
My AC have magic fang with Permanency. Can I apply a special abilities on? Thanks for answer me. have a GG.

KillianHawkeye
2020-02-22, 11:41 PM
You cannot apply magic weapon special abilities using that spell.

Gruftzwerg
2020-02-23, 12:54 AM
the way to go is a "Necklace of Natural Attacks" from the Savage Species book. It can be enchanted like any other melee weapon (incl. special bonuses) and applies it to your natural & unarmed attacks.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-02-23, 01:22 AM
You cannot apply magic weapon special abilities using that spell.That's not what the rules say.

Magic Weapon Special Ability Descriptions
In addition to enhancement bonuses, weapons can have one or more of the special abilities detailed below. A weapon with a special ability must have at least a +1 enhancement bonus.

That's it.

Hiro Quester
2020-02-23, 01:46 AM
That's not what the rules say.

That says you have to have a+1 weapon to apply enhancements. It doesn’t say that all +1 weapons can be enhanced.

This is a natural weapon (bite or claw) with a +1enhancement. It can’t be further enhanced (to +5 enhancement) except by greater magic weapon or amulet of mighty fists.

A necklace of natural attacks is needed to apply special enhancements to natural weapons (flaming, outsider bane, thundering, etc.)

Edit: see the part about masterwork weapons https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#masterworkItems

Masterwork Items
Masterwork items are extraordinarily well-made items. They are more expensive, but they benefit the user with improved quality. They are not magical in any way. However, only masterwork items may be enhanced to become magic armor and weapons.

Bite or claws can’t be “well made” masterwork items. And the magic weapon spell doesn’t make them so.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-02-23, 01:55 AM
[QUOTE=MaxiDuRaritry;24370715]That's not what the rules say.

That says you have to have a+1 weapon to apply enhancements. It doesn’t say that all +1 weapons can be enhanced.

This is a natural weapon (bite or claw) with a +1enhancement. It can’t be further enhanced (to +5 enhancement) except by greater magic weapon or amulet of mighty fists.

A necklace of natural attacks is needed to apply special enhancements to natural weapons (flaming, outsider bane, thundering, etc.)Source? ...

Gruftzwerg
2020-02-23, 02:27 AM
Source? ...

you are the one that needs to find prove for your statement..

one is a rule for creating magic items (what you quoted first) the other is the permanent Spell effect ("Magic Fang" which only buffs your natural attacks +1 and nothing more). We have rules to enhance "magic items" that already exist, but no rules to enhance Spell effects. Unless you can point us to that rule..

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-02-23, 02:29 AM
you are the one that needs to find prove for your statement..

one is a rule for creating magic items (what you quoted first) the other is the permanent Spell effect ("Magic Fang" which only buffs your natural attacks +1 and nothing more). We have rules to enhance "magic items" that already exist, but no rules to enhance Spell effects. Unless you can point us to that rule..I already showed it to you; it's above, in case you missed it. The only requirement for special weapon abilities is an enhancement bonus on a weapon, which permanencied magic fang gives you.

Now, where does it say, "it needs an enhancement bonus, but not this enhancement bonus"?

Gruftzwerg
2020-02-23, 02:48 AM
I already showed it to you; it's above, in case you missed it. The only requirement for special weapon abilities is an enhancement bonus on a weapon, which permanencied magic fang gives you.

Now, where does it say, "it needs an enhancement bonus, but not this enhancement bonus"?

In addition to enhancement bonuses, weapons can have one or more of the special abilities detailed below

Since you can have special abilities in addition to enhancement bonuses, they are not the same.

(Greater) Magic Fang only gives you enhancement bonuses and doesn't give you the ability to add special abilities to it. And the rules for enhancing magic "items" (adding magic to existing magic items) are only for "items" and not "effects". Items and effects are two different things, be it in d&d or in real life. You can't apply item creation rules to spell effects unless the rules allow you to do so.

Gruftzwerg
2020-02-23, 02:58 AM
And "Bonuses" is a defined term for positive roll altering values btw.. another indicator that it can't be special abilities: Read The Basics (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm) under modifier:

A modifier is any bonus or penalty applying to a die roll. A positive modifier is a bonus, and a negative modifier is a penalty.

Hiro Quester
2020-02-23, 08:49 AM
Source? ...

I was editing my post to provide the source as you posted. The piece about requiring that

only masterwork items may be enhanced to become magic armor and weapons.

Pelor3.0
2020-02-23, 11:03 AM
Thanks to everybody! And GG