PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Cleric Water Domain

Trask
2020-02-22, 12:18 PM
Hey everybody,

I wrote a water domain so Poseidon and Zeus dont have to share a domain. Tell me what you think, if its balanced, if you would play it.

Thanks

Water Domain

Water Domain Spells
| Cleric Level | Spells |
|:----:|:-------------|
| 1 | Create or Destroy Water, Ice Knife |
| 3 | Alter Self, Misty Step |
| 5 | Tidal Wave, Water Breathing |
| 7 | Watery Sphere, Control Water |
| 9 | Cone of Cold, Maelstrom |

Bonus Proficiencies
You gain proficiency with martial weapons and heavy armor.

Bonus Cantrip
You learn the *shape water* cantrip.

Sea-Blessed
Starting when you choose this domain at 1st level, you can use your action to touch a willing creature to give it a swimming speed equal to it's walking speed, and the ability to hold it's breath underwater for up to 1 hour. This blessing lasts for 1 hour or until you use this feature again.

Channel Divinity: Healing Waters
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to call forth the primal waters of creation. As an action, you present your holy symbol and unleash a torrent of surging water in a 10 foot radius centered on you. All creatures hit by the wave must make a Dexterity saving throw vs your spell save DC or be pushed back 10 feet and knocked prone. You may choose a number of creatures you can see equal to your Wisdom modifier to automatically succeed on their saving throw and gain temporary HP equal to your Cleric level.

Channel Divinity: Water Shield
At 6th level, you can use your Channel Divinity as an action to form a 5-foot-radius sphere of churning water around you for up to 1 minute, concentrating on it as if it were a spell. Weapon attacks targeting you or any other creature within the sphere have disadvantage, and you have resistance to fire damage while inside the sphere. The sphere moves with you.

As an action you can lash out with a tentacle of water from the sphere. Make a melee spell attack on a creature within 10 feet and on a hit deal 1d10 + Wisdom bludgeoning damage and if the creature is size Medium or smaller you can choose to grapple it. On the creature's turn it can attempt to escape the grapple by making a Strength check vs your spell save DC as an action.

Divine Attacks
At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with icy water. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon Attack, you can cause the Attack to deal an extra 1d8 cold damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

Wave Form
At 17th level you are the master of the life-giving waters. As an action, you can assume a form composed of elemental water. For 1 minute, or until you end the effect as a bonus action, you have immunity to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from non-magical weapons, resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from magical weapons, and immunity to cold, fire, and poison damage. Additionally, you are immune to being grappled, paralyzed, poisoned, prone or restrained. Additionally, while in waveform you have the ability to travel through cracks, holes, between bars, or any other such spaces that water can leak through.

After using this ability, you must complete a long rest before doing so again.

JNAProductions
2020-02-22, 12:56 PM
Water Shield is a little too good. Downgrade Restrained to Grappled and it should be fine.

Wave Form needs an activation action. And I'd allow magical weapon damage to still hurt you, perhaps with resistance.

Overall, pretty solid.

Emongnome777
2020-02-22, 01:31 PM
I agree with everything JNAProductions says. Here's a couple more comments about Sea Blessed:

1) This loses a tad bit of luster after you reach 5th level since the water breathing part isn't needed as you can cast Water Breathing as a ritual and include several targets (presumably all your allies). The swimming speed is still useful.
2) The statement, "and the creature suffers no penalties to attacking with melee weapons underwater" is unnecessary since swim speed negates melee weapon attack disadvantage (end of combat chapter).

Overall, it's solid. I'd play it in the right campaign.

Xenken
2020-02-22, 02:13 PM
Agreed with the above, and I'm very glad they get shape water.
Ice Knife honestly seems just a tad off to me, because thematically Ice and Water are often different things, though I'm not sure what you'd replace it with. (Fog Cloud, perhaps?)

Trask
2020-02-22, 04:36 PM
Water Shield is a little too good. Downgrade Restrained to Grappled and it should be fine.

Wave Form needs an activation action. And I'd allow magical weapon damage to still hurt you, perhaps with resistance.

Overall, pretty solid.

Noted, the restrained condition is pretty strong. I was debating this myself as well.

Also you're absolutely right about Wave Form, just slipped my mind.

Thanks for your critique

I agree with everything JNAProductions says. Here's a couple more comments about Sea Blessed:

1) This loses a tad bit of luster after you reach 5th level since the water breathing part isn't needed as you can cast Water Breathing as a ritual and include several targets (presumably all your allies). The swimming speed is still useful.
2) The statement, "and the creature suffers no penalties to attacking with melee weapons underwater" is unnecessary since swim speed negates melee weapon attack disadvantage (end of combat chapter).

Overall, it's solid. I'd play it in the right campaign.

1) Hm thats true, I think thats acceptable though, especially since this is only an action.

2) Oops, didnt know that was part of swimming speed. Thanks!

Agreed with the above, and I'm very glad they get shape water.
Ice Knife honestly seems just a tad off to me, because thematically Ice and Water are often different things, though I'm not sure what you'd replace it with. (Fog Cloud, perhaps?)

Yeah Ice Knife definitely is a head scratcher spell here, I just didnt know what else to put. Fog cloud is a good option but its also exactly what the tempest domain gets and I wanted it to be different.