PDA

View Full Version : I'm Thinking Of Playing My Very First D&D 5th Edition Game

Bartmanhomer
2020-02-22, 04:28 PM
Hey everyone. I'll be think If playing my very first D&D 5th edition game. I've been playing D&D 3.5 game and it doing great. I feel like I want to play a different edition of D&D and see how that edition turns out for me. I know that they changed the rules a bit. So I just want to see how this game turns out for me. :smile:

JNAProductions
2020-02-22, 05:59 PM
Good luck, hope you enjoy.

Bartmanhomer
2020-02-22, 06:16 PM
Good luck, hope you enjoy.
Thank you. I know what I'm going to expect this edition so I know my way around. :wink:

ad_hoc
2020-02-22, 08:45 PM
#1 most important piece of advice: Forget everything you know about 3e.

The players I have the toughest time teaching 5e to are 3e players.

I have a much easier time teaching people who are new to RPGs because they aren't viewing the rules through the 3e lens.

Treat 5e as a completely different game and don't make assumptions based on how things were in previous editions.

Bartmanhomer
2020-02-22, 08:56 PM
#1 most important piece of advice: Forget everything you know about 3e.

The players I have the toughest time teaching 5e to are 3e players.

I have a much easier time teaching people who are new to RPGs because they aren't viewing the rules through the 3e lens.

Treat 5e as a completely different game and don't make assumptions based on how things were in previous editions.
I assure you that I wasn't assuming anything and I know that D&D 5th Edition is different from the previous editions. I check the rules for D&D 5th Edition and it very different. So I don't know how you came up with that conclusion. :annoyed:

ad_hoc
2020-02-22, 09:02 PM
I assure you that I wasn't assuming anything and I know that D&D 5th Edition is different from the previous editions. I check the rules for D&D 5th Edition and it very different. So I don't know how you came up with that conclusion. :annoyed:

What conclusion?

That the players I have had the toughest time teaching are 3e players? I came to the conclusion because it's true to my experience?

I don't understand your issue.

Bartmanhomer
2020-02-22, 09:03 PM
What conclusion?

That the players I have had the toughest time teaching are 3e players? I came to the conclusion because it's true to my experience?

I don't understand your issue.

Sorry. I misunderstood your tone here. Honest mistake. :frown:

Zhorn
2020-02-22, 09:07 PM

I don't think it was meant as a targeted criticism against you personally. Will save you some frustration to not treat it as such.

ad_hoc's comment is talking from their own experience, which when looked through that lens it is very reasonable advice.

edit: I post too slow

Bartmanhomer
2020-02-22, 09:09 PM
I don't think it was meant as a targeted criticism against you personally. Will save you some frustration to not treat it as such.

ad_hoc's comment is talking from their own experience, which when looked through that lens it is very reasonable advice.

And I apologized for that. I misunderstood what he said. :frown:

No brains
2020-02-22, 09:23 PM
Hope you have fun bartman. Will you be the DM? If not, what character do you think you will play?

Do whatever you think will be fun. Even if someone says the character is sub-optimal, it can still be fun. Though if you would like suggestions, I'm certain our forum fellows can accommodate you. :smallsmile:

Bartmanhomer
2020-02-22, 09:28 PM
Hope you have fun bartman. Will you be the DM? If not, what character do you think you will play?

Do whatever you think will be fun. Even if someone says the character is sub-optimal, it can still be fun. Though if you would like suggestions, I'm certain our forum fellows can accommodate you. :smallsmile:

No, I don't want to be DM. I just want to start as a player first then raise my ranks to DM. I guess I'll start out as a fighter. :confused:

djreynolds
2020-02-23, 01:45 AM
Well try out a battlemaster.

Use maneuvers that allow a reaction and bonus action so you can get the feel of using all of possibles

And try to short rest as much as you can.

This will allow you to understand the dilemma of short and long rest abilities vs party/game play.

Have fun

Bartmanhomer
2020-02-23, 10:31 AM
Well try out a battlemaster.

Use maneuvers that allow a reaction and bonus action so you can get the feel of using all of possibles

And try to short rest as much as you can.

This will allow you to understand the dilemma of short and long rest abilities vs party/game play.

Have fun

Cool and thank you. :smile: