PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Vaunt Knight; Braggart Fighter

sandmote
2020-02-22, 07:49 PM
This page on the homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/JabkX9nb)

While the Oath of the Crown has some of the mechanical benefits, I rather enjoyed the theme of the 3.5e Knight class. This is an attempt to convert that into 5e, although I'll be shocked if there isn't already a conversion of this.

Inciting Challenge
When you choose this archetype, you learn how to most effectively aggrandize yourself and infuriate your opponents. When you take an attack action, you can make a challenge of foes you can both see and hear, manipulating them into acting in a particular manner. You have four uses of your inciting challenge, and regain all uses at the end of a short or long rest. You gain another use of your inciting challenge at 7th level and one more at 15th level.

Your challenges require your targets to make a saving throw to resist the challenge's effects. The saving throw DC is calculated as follows:

Challenge save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier

Inciting Challenges
Fighting Challenge As a bonus action, you choose a single creature within 60 feet that can see and hear you. If the creature understands at least one language, it must make a Charisma saving throw to resist your challenge. On a failed save the creature can't willingly move further from you, and must target you with its attacks and spells until the start of your next turn or until it can no longer see and hear you. You also add your Charisma modifier to the damage rolls of weapon attacks you make against the target of your fighting challenge.

Test of Mettle As a bonus action, you call for the mightiest among your enemies to face you. Creatures within 30 feet of you that understand at least one language must make a wisdom saving throw or become incited by your challenge. Until the start of your next turn, each target that can both see and hear your must make an additional wisdom saving throw whenever it makes an attack or casts a spell that does not target you or include you in its area of effect. On a failed save, the creature must choose to target you or lose the attack or spell.

Daunting Challenge You issue a general challenge as a bonus action, cowing those around you. Creatures of your choice within 30 feet of you that you can see or hear and that understand at least one language must succeed on a wisdom saving throw or be frightened of you until the start of your next turn.

This is the mechanical meat of the subclass. One single target effect that grants increased damage, and two different AoE control effects. Test of mettle I think can be gamed a bit, so it requires repeat saving throws.

Boastful
By 3rd level, you have learned a variety of tricks for puffing yourself up in a few particular manners. You gain proficiency in your choice of the deception, insight, intimidation, performance, or persuasion skills, as well as two languages of your choice.

Further, you are skilled at goading other creatures into a particular coarse of action, both through challenges (similar to your inciting challenge) and feelings of friendship. If you spend at least one minute chatting up a humanoid, you gain special insight into what drives them. At any point in the next hour, you can use your reaction to give the creature advantage or disadvantage (your choice) on a single ability check or on a single saving throw against an enchantment or illusion spell. You must then spend an additional minute with the creature before you can use this ability again.

You can maintain this effect on one creature at a time. If you qualify to apply it to a new creature, you can choose to maintain it on an existing creature instead. You can maintain this feature on two creatures at 10th level, and three creatures at 18th level.

This third level social feature, which gives bonuses for creatures you spend time with before fighting or attempting to manipulate. Butter them up before trying to convince or magically manipulate someone. Can also apply in combat. For example you scope out a tavern before the party busts in.

Bulwark Defense
By 7th level, you have trained to effectively defend yourself against your varied opponents. You gain the following effects:

Creatures of your choice treat the space within your reach as rough terrain as you feint and needle anyone in your vicinity.
Any bonus to AC you gain from using a shield is increased by +1
You can choose to ignore disadvantage on stealth checks caused by your armor, allowing you to escape an embarrassment or under the nose of someone displeased with your achievements.

This bonus also extends to repartee. Whenever you make an ability check using the skill you gained from your boastful feature, you can add double your proficiency modifier to the roll.

Hoo boy, is this one all over the place. Still these bonuses aren't tied to your existing features.

Deny Command
By 10th level, your insistence on challenging others allows you to prevent challengers from altering you mind. As a reaction to being targeted with a spell or magical effect, you can expend a use of your inciting challenge to make yourself immune to the frightened and charmed conditions until the start of your next turn.

Technically doesn't require the spell to charm or frighten you. is this too weak? I was considering also applying it to gaze attacks (like the medusa has).

Endless Braggart
Starting at 15th level, when you roll initiative and have no uses of your inciting challenge remaining, you regain 1 use of your inciting challenge.

Master Manipulator
By 18th level, your skill at goading enemies into battle with yourself is unparalleled. You can cast Compelled Duel at will. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for this spell.

At higher levels, I'm giving access to more uses of control abilities.

Bannan_mantis
2020-02-22, 11:29 PM
This is all good but I might add a suggestion in for Inciting incident, maybe make it scale more? I feel like the charisma per short rest uses is the only scaling it has right now and it doesn't really feel like the meat of the subclass. I feel like if it scales more it could feel more like the raw meat of the subclass and work better in combat. Additionally I might possibly suggest moving the utility skill to level 7 (most fighter utility skills are level 7), if you do this it'd make it weaker but to fill the gap you could add more uses or traits for inciting incident but that's more me talking like a 5e player since I've never played this type of character in 3.5 so I might be removing a few things that were central towards the archetype.

sandmote
2020-02-23, 12:53 PM
This is all good but I might add a suggestion in for Inciting incident, maybe make it scale more? I feel like the charisma per short rest uses is the only scaling it has right now and it doesn't really feel like the meat of the subclass. I feel like if it scales more it could feel more like the raw meat of the subclass and work better in combat.

I will increase the number of uses to match the battlemaster's superiority dice.

Additionally I might possibly suggest moving the utility skill to level 7 (most fighter utility skills are level 7), if you do this it'd make it weaker but to fill the gap you could add more uses or traits for inciting incident but that's more me talking like a 5e player since I've never played this type of character in 3.5 so I might be removing a few things that were central towards the archetype.
Boastful is meant to be the out of combat utility, although most of the other fighter subclasses get a weaker one at 3rd. Compare the Battlemaster's Student of War, the Eldritch Knight's Weapon Bond, and the bonus proficiencies (and additional features) of the subclasses from Xanathar's.

At level seven, two of the published subclasses get combat buffs and two more get defensive combat bonuses (excluding 3rd level features that scale at 7th level). Of the remaining three sublcasses, one is the pitiful Banneret and the other is the battlemaster (which doesn't need another combat ability so early). Between these, I think having boastful at 3rd and defensive buffs at 7th doesn't mes with the scaling compared to other subclasses.

Although, Bulwark Defense is not central to the archeotype. I was trying to provided bonuses in other things a braggart might try but a PC would have to fight the rules to make work. Sneaking out after failing, or after bragging you can steal (not just valuables, but affection and other stuff).