PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next School of the Sha'ir: Elemental Preparation Wizard

sandmote
2020-02-22, 08:09 PM
This page on the homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/kWKH4-YC)

Based on the 3.5e class, I wanted a wizard subclass that can change prepared spell during the day, and has a limited ability to prepare additional spells. In exchange, they are giving up having an in-combat bonus at 2nd level. This isn't meant to apply exclusively to genasi, but anything tied to the elemental planes is close thematically.

Adviser From Beyond
Sha'ir can communicate with the elemental planes, and summon an adviser able to serve as a go-between for them. When you select this school, you add the Find Familiar spell to your spellbook if it is not there already.

When you cast the spell, you can choose one of the normal forms for your familiar or the form of an elemental of CR 1/2 or lower, although it loses any ability to cast spells possessed by the base creature type. Additionally, your familiar can be an elemental rather one of the creature types listed in the find familiar spell.

As you gain levels, your familiar becomes more powerful. From 6th level, when you take the Attack action, you can forgo one of your own attacks to allow your familiar to make one attack with its reaction.

Elemental Secrets
From Second level, the planes whisper to you secrets from beyond the prime material. You can send your familiar into the elemental planes in search of magical knowledge, during which you spend ten minutes meditating in concentration (as if casting a spell as a ritual). The familiar returns carrying the knowledge to cast a single spell of your choice, which must be of a level you can cast and on the wizard spell list (the spell need not be in your spellbook).

While your familiar is carrying this spell, you can cast it as if you had the spell prepared. Your familiar can carry a single spell in this manner, which lasts until you send it to find a new spell or the familiar is reduced to 0 hit points. However, you cannot copy the spell held by your familiar into your spellbook, as your familiar translates the spell's notation directly, without showing you the basic form of the spell.

Once you have meditated to obtain a spell, you can not do so again until you finish a long rest.

Buffed familiar, with extra spell. I'm wondering if I can roll this into a single feature. Given my limited understanding of what Sha'ir were, granting proficiency with calligrapher's supplies and performance would fit thematically., but I'd rather not list three class features at 2nd level.

Elemental Protection
By 6th level, you have absorbed some of the sturdiness of the elements. When an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to gain resistance to acid, cold, fire, lighting, poison, or thunder damage (your choice) against that attack.

Knockoff of Uncanny Dodge. Useful against dragon's breath attacks and a bunch of ranged spells, but if it comes up a lot you're doing someone wrong. Note absorb elements still has a niche with this (granting resistance to multiple attacks) and it isn't as if its a popular choice for spell master

Mind of the Genie
By 10th level, you are intimately familiar with genies and other creatures of the elemental planes. You gain advantage on Insight (Wisdom) and Charisma checks made to interact with elementals.

Command Planar Creatures
At 14th level, you can take control of elementals around you. As an action, you can target an elemental within 60 feet of you, expending a spell slot of a level equal to or higher than the elemental's CR. The elemental must make a Charisma saving throw against your spell save DC or be put under the effects of a Conjure Elemental spell, as if newly summoned.

If the elemental was summoned by you, it automatically fails the saving throw, and you you regain one expended spell slot if you used a spell slot of 2nd level or higher to take control of the elemental. The slot you regain must be of a level lower than the spell you cast and can't be higher than 5th level.

Two features to tie you directly closer to elementals. The bonus prepared spell gets stronger as you level anyway, so I'm wary of making it stronger.