PDA

View Full Version : Making artificer infusions into permanent magic items

Greywander
2020-02-23, 03:27 AM
Title.

What makes the most sense to me is to handle it like regular magic item creation, but with the following differences:

Knowing an infusion counts as knowing the recipe for that magic item.
Infusing the item while you craft it counts as providing any exotic materials. This means that it only costs time and gold to craft that item, but you'll be short one infusion slot and unable to use that specific infusion until the crafting is finished.
Any magic item created by an artificer may be treated as if it were an infused item, e.g. it can be used as a spell focus.

Keep in mind that under Xanathar's crafting rules, Common items can be crafted in 1 workweek and cost 50 gp, and Uncommon items can be crafted in 2 workweeks and cost 200 gp. Once the artificer hits 10th level, though, they can craft two Uncommon items in one week, at 100 gp each. By 10th level, though, Common and Uncommon items might not be super useful anymore, though you can hand out bags of holding and +1 weapons like candy.

While Enhanced Weapon/Defense/Arcane Focus can be correlated to weapons/armor/shields/wands +1 and +2, a lot of the other infusions that aren't already magic items don't have a given rarity, making it tricky to craft them as magic items. Most of these are probably Uncommon, except the homunculus, repulsion shield, and resistant armor, which are probably Rare.

With Enhanced Weapon, Defense, and Arcane Focus, any magic items created don't automatically upgrade to +2 when you hit 10th level. This is because the +1 and +2 versions are different items, with different rarities. You can still craft the +1 versions even after hitting 10th level, as these are a lower rarity and thus easier to craft.

So aside from arming the populace with +1 weapons, thus negating immunity to nonmagical weapons, and sending half the realm to the Astral Plane in bag-of-holding-related accidents, what other shenanigans could an artificer get up to? Does this seem super unbalanced? Probably the biggest concern are Common and Uncommon items, which the artificer could spam pretty quickly, especially after 10th level. Rare and up still take enough time and gold to craft that it's not something you'd do often, and not at all if a regular infusion will suffice.

BloodBrandy
2020-02-23, 03:40 AM
I feel like you should also keep in mind the other rules in Xanathar's, such as limited supplies (Just because you have the money for what is needed, doesn't mean the shops have all the ingredients in stock for all these items) and also the tables on how things can go wrong with your crafting. It's not always as simple as "I have the time and money"

HPisBS
2020-03-13, 01:24 PM
I feel like you should also keep in mind the other rules in Xanathar's, such as limited supplies (Just because you have the money for what is needed, doesn't mean the shops have all the ingredients in stock for all these items) and also the tables on how things can go wrong with your crafting. It's not always as simple as "I have the time and money"

I really wish there was something that told us what special materials are needed to craft specific items.

What makes a Bag of Holding... uh, hold?
What makes a Flame Tongue go all Brisingr?
What makes an Instrument of the Bards come alive with the sound of music so spectacularly?
What makes Bracers of Archery a substitute for all the time & training normally needed to become an expert archer?
Heck, what makes a +1 Sword/Shield/whatever be a magical +1?

(Probably something to do with absorbing modified Demiplane, Flame Blade, ??? & ???, Skill Empowerment / Tenser's Transformation, and Magic Weapon spells.)