PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Help me assign LA to my *last* new race (4 out of 4)

heavyfuel
2020-02-23, 08:16 AM
After posting all 4 races at once and getting no replies, I'm trying this approach of posting 1 race at time, so here's the very last one.

+2 Dex, +2 Int

Medium size: As medium size, Aspects gain no bonuses or penalties based on their size. See Slight Build below

Speed: 40ft land speed

Racial Hit Dice: An Aspect has two levels of Outsider, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +2, and base saving throw bonuses of +3 to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will.

Racial Skills: An Aspect's Outsider levels give it skill points equal to 5 x (8 + Int modifier).

Racial Feat: An Aspect’s Outsider levels give it one feat.

Native Outsiders - Aspects are Outsiders with the [Native] subtype.

Low-light vision

Slight Build: The near ethereal body of Sun Aspects lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a Sun Aspect is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the Sun Aspect is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. A Sun Aspect is also considered to be one size smaller when squeezing through a restrictive space. However, the space and reach of a Sun Aspect remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.

Ignite (Ex): As a Swift action a Sun Aspect can get her body to glow, shedding bright light in any radius up to 30ft. This effect can be suppressed with another Swift action, but can otherwise be maintained for as long as she wants. This effect counts as a 2nd level [Light] spell for the purposes of dispelling magical darkness. This effect is Extraordinary in nature, and can’t be dispelled or suppressed by an Anti-Magic Field, although it stops working in an area of magical darkness of 3rd level or higher.

Body of Light (Su): A Sun Aspect can - with concentration - dismiss her physical body and turn into a being of pure light. When she does that, she becomes incorporeal but may only take a single move action each round and doesn’t benefit from any equipment she might have, which become incorporeal with her. This effect lasts for 5 rounds, but can be dismissed sooner with a move action. While under this effect, the Sun Aspect has her Ignite ability active in full potency. She can use of this ability a number of times per day equal to 1 + 1/4 her level. This effect is Supernatural in nature, so it can’t be dispelled but it is suppressed by an Anti-Magic Field.

Acceleration (Ex): Sun Aspects can move very quickly when needed. As a Swift action, they can enter a state of extreme speed during which they are granted +1 to attack rolls, AC, and Reflex saves as well as either an additional move action every round or one additional attack at their highest bonus during a full-attack action. This state lasts for 5 rounds, but can be dismissed sooner with a Swift action. While under this effect, the Sun Aspect has her Ignite ability active in full potency. She can use of this ability a number of times per day equal to 1 + 1/4 her level. This effect is Extraordinary in nature, and can’t be dispelled or suppressed by an Anti-Magic Field.

(Note: These bonuses is how the Haste spell works in my game, and this effect doesn't stack with Haste)

Conduit of light (Sp): A Sun Aspect can manipulate light to create illusions, allowing use of the following spell-like abilities. Her caster level equals her character level.
5/day Silent Image; 1/day Invisibility, Swift Invisibility, Mirror Image

I know what you’re thinking. “Dex bonus, slight build, and illusions? This race is perfect for stealthy characters! So why the hell does it shine the sun?!” Well, precisely because it would be far too good for stealthy characters. The Ignite ability is there mostly as a nerf.

However, despite that, I feel like the race is pretty strong. Much like the Nature Aspect, it has a way of move and full attack, and with its higher than average movement speed, it can flank/skirmish really well. Losing 1 sneak attack/skirmish die to be able to trigger these attacks far more easily is well worth IMO.

Being able to go Incorporeal is far too awesome to not restrict it in some way. So, no scouting or casting with it. Still, it’s a strong ability that can save you in case you find yourself in a bad position and don’t want to use your spell-like abilities.

Speaking of which, this race has more spell-like abilities than any other. Mostly some low-ish level illusions, but all with great utility.

So, what LA should this race get? As usual, remember that it already has RHD.

For anyone wishing to comment on the seconf or third post, here are the links:
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?603916-Help-me-assign-LA-to-another-new-race-(2-out-of-4)
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?606933-Help-me-assign-LA-to-yet-another-new-race-(3-out-of-4)
It should be okay to post there despite the date due to the relaxed Thread Necromancy rules for the beginnng of the year.

Alright... PEACH!

Silva Stormrage
2020-02-26, 04:11 PM
Acceleration is easily its best ability with its ability to go incorporeal the next best. The ability for melee to get a pseudo pounce automatically is pretty good. Still with 2 RHD I can't really justify any LA above +1 and frankly I could see a good argument for +0. If your games generally have "High Powered" races such as anthropomorphic animals, unseelie fey, races with +2-4 in primary stats for characters, etc, I would go with +0 LA. If your game has a more widespread use of mediocre races a +1 LA would be fitting.

heavyfuel
2020-02-26, 09:06 PM
Acceleration is easily its best ability with its ability to go incorporeal the next best. The ability for melee to get a pseudo pounce automatically is pretty good. Still with 2 RHD I can't really justify any LA above +1 and frankly I could see a good argument for +0. If your games generally have "High Powered" races such as anthropomorphic animals, unseelie fey, races with +2-4 in primary stats for characters, etc, I would go with +0 LA. If your game has a more widespread use of mediocre races a +1 LA would be fitting.

Indeed Acceleration is supposed to be its main draw. Players usually go for PHB races or somewhat stronger ones like lesser Aasimar or Strongheart Halfling.

Since I'm aiming for +1 LA, any suggestions on improving it? Perhaps making it a free action to quit ethereal form (instead of a move action)?

Silva Stormrage
2020-02-27, 01:44 AM
I mean the main thing that made me think of LA + 0 was that while pounce is a great ability it also can be gained with a 1 level dip in barbarian. And this race has 2 RHD so it still ends up at a loss compared to that. And likewise true incorporeal can be gained with a 1 level dip in savage ghost progression (With other drawbacks but still).

Frankly I would boost it's ability score array. Give it 1-2 more +2's rather than boosting any of it's already good abilities. Maybe boost the dex to +4. The int bonus in gameplay won't matter too much since RHD pretty much means no caster will touch this so the int bonus is mostly for skill points and secondary class features.

If you wanted something more interesting you also could give it some low fast healing while exposed to natural sunlight. It's pretty borderline +1 LA already so it doesn't need much.