PDA

View Full Version : Gunslinger Special Ability Advice

TGMohle
2020-02-23, 03:21 PM
For context before I get into it:

In the game that I am running, each of my players receive special abilities that I call "boons." This consists of a Passive, Active, and Ultimate. This is in lieu of magical items (for setting reasons), and the party is 10th level, about to be 11th level next session. One of the players is a Gunslinger (from Matthew Mercer), and I have determined the Passive and Active ability for him, but I am having trouble coming up with an Ultimate.

The character himself is all about damage and has different kinds of guns and contraptions. He uses special magical gems (think Soul Gems from the Elder Scrolls) to power his guns and inventions. This is the Passive and Active:

Master Marksman (Passive):

Your firearm attack rolls score a critical hit with on a roll of 19-20.

You regain a point of grit with a roll of 19-20 while using firearms.

You can reload your firearms as a bonus action. If you expend a grit point, you can reload as a free action. You can only reload in this way (as a free action) once per turn.

When you reach 15th level and gain Lightning Reload, you can reload all firearm attacks as a free action.

When you reach 18th level and gain Vicious Intent, your crit / grit range increases to 18-20.

Fortify Position (Active):

You can deploy a low wall of hard-light that gives half cover from incoming attacks from the opposite side of the wall. You can use this once per short rest.

Now for the Ultimate, I am at a loss. My first instinct is to make it a "nova" or "nuke" ability, but he can essentially do the same with an Action Surge once per short rest. When it comes to damage potential, his Passive also helps him out a great deal. The conclusion that I reached is that it would have to either be a defensive ability, or a large-scale AOE damage or debuff ability. However, I have no idea what I would like this to be, so that is where I would like some ideas. What ability would you give him?

For more context (to see how powerful these Ultimates can be), here are the ultimates of the other party members (Paladin and Warlock respectively):

Roar of Heroes (Ultimate):

As a bonus action, you and any ally within 30 ft gain the following for 1 minute, or until you are knocked unconscious:

Immunity to all fear effects.

The effects of the Bless spell.

You can immediately spend up to your (the paladin player) Charisma modifier of hit die.

You also gain the Rage feature, taking half damage from all physical damage and a damage bonus to your unarmed strikes equal to your proficiency bonus.

Wrath of the Martyr (Ultimate):

The caster can summon forth an enormous amount of radiant energy, dealing 10d8 + 60 radiant damage to a single target of the caster's choice. The target must make a Dexterity saving throw, taking half damage on a successful save.

Rerem115
2020-02-23, 04:20 PM
If you're set on the nova idea, maybe you could give him a bonus when he uses Action Surge?

Flavorful Name (Ultimate)

When you Action Surge, you gain the following benefits:

Your movement speed doubles
You regain all expended Grit points
If you take the attack action, you can use two Trick Shots per attack, the second one costing one less Grit than usual

Alternatively, something like this:

Die Hard (Ultimate)

When you would be reduced to 0 or fewer hit points, you can choose to be reduced to 1 instead. Additionally, when you fail a Death Save, you can instead choose to succeed as though you had rolled a natural 20. If you do so, you can immediately spend a number of Hit Dice up to your Constitution modifier.

TGMohle
2020-02-24, 12:30 AM
If you're set on the nova idea, maybe you could give him a bonus when he uses Action Surge?

Flavorful Name (Ultimate)

When you Action Surge, you gain the following benefits:

Your movement speed doubles
You regain all expended Grit points
If you take the attack action, you can use two Trick Shots per attack, the second one costing one less Grit than usual

For some reason, buffing his Action Surge didn't even occur to me. I like your ideas for the things you suggested! I'll just have to tweak them a bit, since these Ultimates are once per long rest (never specified that).

Thank you very much for your insight!