PDA

View Full Version : Legal approach

Pippin
2020-02-24, 04:41 AM
Hi, I'm a bit confused about D&D/video games and what you may or may not take from them.

If I were to start a new game with a spell named "Wish" that would be the exact same as the one that can be found on the SRD, will I be sued?
If I were to start a new game with a spell named "Ice Assassin" that would be the exact same as the one that can be found in Frostburn, will I be sued?
If I were to start a new game with a class named "Black Mage" that would be the exact same as the one that can be found in Final Fantasy Tactics, will I be sued?
If I were to start a new game with a class whose clothes and style would be the exact same as the Black Mage class that can be found in Final Fantasy Tactics, will I be sued?
Would you have any good link to point me to regarding these issues?

Thank you so much.

snowblizz
2020-02-24, 05:10 AM
We cannot specifically discuss legal advice and any answer to your questions including "maybe" basically ends up being that.

Copyright laws are a confusing mess which ultimately ends up at: is someone who thinks they have a gain to do so going to be suing you and can you afford that.

There is a guy on youtube (he is a lawyer), Leagal Eagle, who does some stuff on copyrightlaw that's worth looking at. It won't specifically answer your questions but you get an idea of the problems with copyright law.

The Glyphstone
2020-02-24, 02:08 PM
Great Modthulhu: Correct. As per the Forum Rules:

Professional Advice: Please do not give any form of professional advice to other posters, whether it is solicited or not, even if you are a licensed professional in that field (and especially if you are not). This includes (but is not limited to) legal, financial planning, psychological, and medical advice. As a rule of thumb, if you need a license to practice such a profession, you can't practice it here. You may suggest that someone seek out such a professional away from these message boards, but you may not actually dispense any other guidance. This rule is to protect those who need such advice from the possibility of being misled with faulty or even dangerous suggestions - however well intentioned - and to protect both you and us from unforeseen liability.