PDA

View Full Version : Best Bard Support Spells

Burley
2020-02-24, 09:21 AM
I'll be playing a changeling bard soon, and the concept is that they're a travelling storyteller, seeking tales of heroism to pass on in his clan's oral tradition.
Their thesis statement (if a character has such a thing) is: "I tell stories; I do not create them." They will go adventuring and then tell the story of all the other heroes, leaving themself out of the story.

So, my character will not be an active participant in many ways, having no combat ability or spells. They will gladly support the party with buffs and will play the party face, should the need arise. My DM has okay'd me going College of Creation, because the Bardic Inspiration boosts make for great story telling moments.

I've read a lot of guides online, but they're all focused on being a supplementary melee fighter or a wizard/cleric replacement, and I'm having trouble figuring out what spells I should pay attention to.

Any thoughts?

nickl_2000
2020-02-24, 11:00 AM
First things first: I would not recommend having a bard who can't do damage or do more than buff. Sure, it's a good idea flavorwise, but doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you are approaching the life of an adventurer. Any person who is dungeon delving should have the means to protect themselves. Also you need to decide what your character is allowed to do. So, questions to ask yourself

Is the PC allowed to cast battlefield control spells that don't hurt people?
Is the PC allowed to cast disabling spells that hurt people?
Is the PC allowed to cast counterspell?

If the PC is allowed to cast battlefield control spells and disabling spells it makes for a much more reliable PC and someone that will help a lot more than just someone who boosts.

Small Rant Aside you are asking about spells. Bolded are must haves in my mind
Cantrips:
Light
Mage Hand
Mending

1st level:
Animal Friendship
Healing Word
Faerie Fire
Feather Fall
Heroism
Longstrider
Silent Image
Sleep - This is stretching it a little bit, but it's not directly hurting anyone
Speak with Animals - You learn another side of the story and can scout
Tasha's Hideous Laughter - Another where it impacts and NPC but doesn't do damage
Unseen Servant

Level 2:
Blindness/Deafness - Disabling spell
Crown of Madness - Disabling spell
Enhance ability - Buff, but it kind of sucks
Hold Person - Amazing disabling spells
Invisibility
Lesser Restoration
Phantasmal Force - Another amazing disabling spell
See Invisibility - A bit niche, but non-concentration
Silence - Disabling spell, also go for sneakiness
Suggestion - Amazing disabling spell

Level 3:
Magic Secrets: Couterspell
Dispel Magic
Fear - disabling spell
Hypnotic Pattern - Disabling Spell
Plant Growth - Battlefield control
Sending - What reporter can't report into the field office?
Catnap
Enemies Abound - Disabling

Level 4:
Polymorph
Greater Invisibility
Freedom of Movement - Non-concentration

Level 5:
Mass Cure Wounds
Raise Dead
Skill Empowerment

Level 6:
True Seeing

Level 7:
Regenerate
Teleport

Level 8:
Mind Blank

Level 9:
Foresight
True Polymorph
Power Word Head
Mass Polymorph

For level 1-3 I included battlefield control and disabling spells, after that I left it at buff spells. One of the major issues with a build like this is concentration. Gone are the olden days when you could spend 10 minutes before a battle laying down all the buff spells.

It may not be what you are looking for, but you may want to consider a sorcerer with a scholar or entertainer background top fill in the fluff of the character design. A sorcerer has a few advantages with a buff build. Primarily being able to twin buff spells to give a boost to multiple PCs at once, but they have access to the elemental cantrips (mold earth in particular) and minor illusion that can be used for battlefield control to still be a help to the team when you are concentrating on a buff.

Nidgit
2020-02-24, 11:24 AM
Nickl_2000 makes an excellent point that concentration is going to massively limit what you can do in combat to help your companions. You'll typically be limited to a maximum of two buff spells during combat and potentially just have to heal the rest of the time, which is extremely limiting.

If I we're building this character, I would make a few exceptions for damaging spells where the fluff mostly lines up with the lore-teller concept. Dissonant Whispers at 1st level, for instance, could easily be fluffed as you sharing an instance of dazzling heroism to intimidate the enemy, or perhaps a sickening story of some ancient tragedy. I'd likewise allow Vicious Mockery as you crowing how the enemy has no chance against such heroes and so on for other spells where the damage is secondary to the debuff effect.

Dimension Door is also an all-around great spell that allows you to teleport allies if they're willing.

Burley
2020-02-24, 11:29 AM
Is the PC allowed to cast battlefield control spells that don't hurt people?
Is the PC allowed to cast disabling spells that hurt people?
Is the PC allowed to cast counterspell?

Thanks so much for the comprehensive list!
Our party is two druids, a fighter and a rogue in a low-Arcane setting (as far as I know). I'm sorta the only player with experience with D&D, table-top RPGs or even RP in general. That's why I'm trying to take a step back and let the other players be the heroes.
I am totally willing to do lock-down debuffs (like Tasha's Big Chuckles on the necromancer) and DEFINITELY counterspell (when the necromancer tries to use Tasha's Big Chuckles). But, I'm specifically not taking the best spells, like Heat Metal, because I don't want to steal the spotlight.

nickl_2000
2020-02-24, 11:48 AM
Thanks so much for the comprehensive list!
Our party is two druids, a fighter and a rogue in a low-Arcane setting (as far as I know). I'm sorta the only player with experience with D&D, table-top RPGs or even RP in general. That's why I'm trying to take a step back and let the other players be the heroes.
I am totally willing to do lock-down debuffs (like Tasha's Big Chuckles on the necromancer) and DEFINITELY counterspell (when the necromancer tries to use Tasha's Big Chuckles). But, I'm specifically not taking the best spells, like Heat Metal, because I don't want to steal the spotlight.

To be honest, Bards for a really good job of not stealing the spotlight in combat. Typically for a new player the spotlight means doing damage and bards are not good damage dealers. I do question the DM for allowing 2 new players playing Druids, but hey it's not my table.

Given this new information, I would definitely take the Viscous Mockery cantrip. Sure you are doing damage, but it's only a d4 per tier, compared to the others that is nothing. More importantly, you get the rider to make the rest of your team stay alive longer. Plus it gives you something to do each round no matter what. I would still think about a sorcerer with a fitting background for your character, it may fit your needs better.