PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Hunter's Precision, a Defining Feature for a Bounty Hunter/Ranger Like Class

wayfare
2020-02-24, 03:14 PM
Hello All:

I am building a bounty hunter/ranger-like class for one of my players and I'd like some help working on the defining feature. My design goal here is to give the character the character some light control abilities, while also making them a bit of a striker. Here's my first draft:

Hunter’s Precision
Starting at 1st level, you have learned to deliver strikes that hobble and harm a sluggish enemy. Once during your turn, when you hit an opponent with a weapon attack, you may inflict one of the following effects:

Reduce the target’s speed by 10 feet until the end of your next turn
Distract the target, preventing them from taking reactions until the end of your next turn
Roll your weapon damage twice and choose the best result.

The re-roll ability is intended to be a sneaky way of adding striker elements to the class. I think this will have a pretty significant effect on damage from 1-5, and will have a sustained impact if I brew up something like this for 10th level:

Hunter’s Acumen
Starting at 10th level, Hunter’s Precision can be applied whenever you hit an opponent with an attack.

A.J.Gibson
2020-02-24, 04:18 PM
It's a solid idea, kinda like debilitating strike from Pathfinder's Unchained Rogue. My first thought when reading it is that the main effect should require a bonus action, but that screw up the level 10 bump? Or maybe make level 10 apply two from the list.

I think the list could also use a 'disadvantage on next attack' option. The weapon damage re-roll also seems a little weak to me, that's probably going to be only 2 or maybe 3 points of damage. Maybe just make a it a flat +1d6?

MrStabby
2020-03-03, 04:32 PM
If the other class features add weapon die based outcomes then it could be a bit stronger.

Add a dx to damage and phrase it so that you can choose either or both dice to reroll.

If there is an ability that does something when you roll max on a damage die then this could support that. Gating synergies behind higher level features could be a subtle boost