PDA

View Full Version : Drider Attack Party??

kbob
2020-02-24, 09:28 PM
So I got ambitious and purchased 5 drider minis. That doesn’t count the one I already had. The idea was to ambush my players as they venture to the Underworld. The problem is, I did not realize until after that fact that drider are solitary, less their occasional army of spiders. Now I realize as DM I can do what I want and explain it however I want. That being said, I do like to keep it “real”. Does anyone have any reference from actual DnD lore, novels included, of driders attacking in groups? I have looked to no avail.

DMJosh
2020-02-24, 09:57 PM
So I got ambitious and purchased 5 drider minis. That doesn’t count the one I already had. The idea was to ambush my players as they venture to the Underworld. The problem is, I did not realize until after that fact that drider are solitary, less their occasional army of spiders. Now I realize as DM I can do what I want and explain it however I want. That being said, I do like to keep it “real”. Does anyone have any reference from actual DnD lore, novels included, of driders attacking in groups? I have looked to no avail.

I seem to recall groups of driders being ordered around by drow in some of R.A. Salvatore's novels. I don't know if they'd do that on their own in the wild.

One of my favorite Dungeon Magazine adventures (Shards of the Day, Issue #60) has a group of three driders that ambush the party.

At the end of the day, though, whether they tend to be solitary or not, they're intelligent creatures and can choose to ally with others (driders or not) if it suits their interests.

micahaphone
2020-02-24, 11:05 PM
Wedding, or a Hen Party. Out on the town/tunnels enjoying one last wild night, eat some dancers, sneak up on some adventurers, etc.

Later, the party can meet a very relieved groom.