PDA

View Full Version : Two Left Feet: Uneven measurements in D&D 5e

Nagog
2020-02-24, 11:28 PM
So I've noticed here and there throughout various statblocks and ability descriptions, occasionally a description will say "Moved a number of feet equal to your X modifier". Considering most stats and abilities in 5e function off of 5 foot squares, am I to understand that such abilities are mechanically useless unless the player has maxed out said modifier? Being mover 3 feet may or may not move me from my 5 foot square, but considering either way its a yes or no question, why not always move 5 feet, if that is the maximum and the only one that would reflect on the board?

ProsecutorGodot
2020-02-24, 11:39 PM
Grid combat is a variant rule, so abilities that end up with odd numbers like that won't always reflect accurately.

That said, could you list a few examples of these sorts of things? I don't recall ever seeing something like that, is it a monster ability?

Nagog
2020-02-24, 11:50 PM
Grid combat is a variant rule, so abilities that end up with odd numbers like that won't always reflect accurately.

That said, could you list a few examples of these sorts of things? I don't recall ever seeing something like that, is it a monster ability?

I've seen it in multiple things, the only one that I could remember the source was the Giant Soul UA, for Cloud Giants bloodline:

Cloud Giant. Immediately after you cast any of your Mark of the Ordning spells, you can magically teleport as a bonus action. You teleport to an unoccupied space you can see that is no farther away than a number of feet equal to 10 + your Constitution modifier