PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Oath of the Sun (Paladin Archetype 5e)

Lvl45DM!
2020-02-25, 07:18 AM
Made this for a player who wanted to be a fire paladin like Escanor from the 7 Deadly Sins. Now I havent watched that but fire paladin!

PEACH

Link:
https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1Zz_cCpeI?fbclid=IwAR3UKIjhttkHDaf-u3tyB1u5J-XzbVxTameUabnt4GY-4Vf-K5pdbTHkh7U

Oath of the sun
The Oath of the Sun is one of the oldest oaths, rarely used by civilised folk. It is a brutal, savage oath, allowing little in the way of grey area or nuance to get in the way of their righteous crusade. They live a simple, ascetic existence, eschewing comfort and peace, for an everlasting quest of purification. Sometimes called phoenix knights, sun-warriors or knights of the eternal flame these paladins are a terrifying force that cleanses all they deem evil. They have little interest in the laws or societies of man, except where those laws and socities help birth the impure. Purity of the earth is their prime concern. Many pyromaniacs or otherwise destructive folk see this oath as a way to channel their desires towards a better world. Their armour and coats are often decorated with symbols of fire, the sun or beings of fire, such as dragons or phoenixes.

TENETS OF THE SUN
Purity: Never defile the temple that is your body with intoxicants or foul things. Always stay clear in mind and body, devoted to your purpose
Purification: That which is impure, the undead and the fiendish, must always be destroyed. Cleanse the earth.
Life: The Sun is life, first and foremost. Your quest is to preserve life, not destroy it. That which is impure threatens life. Only kill when necessary.
Victory: : The sun is unconquered. It is better to die than to lose. Never accept defeat, many victories have been won in the face of hopeless odds.
Channel Divinity
Burning Weapon: As an action, you can imbue one weapon that you are holding with burning energy, using your Channel Divinity. For 1 minute, you add your Charisma modifier to damage rolls made with that weapon (with a minimum bonus of +1) as fire damage. The weapon also emits bright light in a 60-foot radius and dim light 20 feet beyond that. If the weapon is not already magical, it becomes magical for the duration. You can end this effect on your turn as part of any other action. If you are no longer holding or carrying this weapon, or if you fall unconscious, this effect ends.
Turn the Impure: As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer evoking a wave of purity using your Channel Divinity. Each monstrosity or undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes damage. A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can’t willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can’t take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there’s nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.

Oath Spells
You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed.

Oath of the sun
3rd absorb elements, burning hands
5th aganazzar's scorcher, enhance ability
9th beacon of hope, fireball
13th fire shield, elemental bane
17th flame strike, wall of light

Aura of Sun's Wrath
Starting at 7th level, you and friendly creatures within 10 feet gain resistance to fire and cold damage

At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Spirit of Eternal flame
Beginning at 15th level, Whenever you deal fire damage, you can choose to deal up to half of it as either radiant or necrotic damage

Phoenix Fury
At 20th level, as an action, you invoke the power of the sun to suffuse your body with life and light.

You emanate an aura of sunlight. For 1 minute, bright light shines from you in a 30-foot radius, and dim light shines 30 feet beyond that.

You become Immune to Fire

You gain flaming wings that grant you a fly speed of 60ft

In addition, for the duration, when you are reduced to 0 hit points and are not killed outright, you can choose to drop to 1 hit point instead. When you do this the feature ends, and a fireball is cast, centred on you, as if cast by you from a 5th level slot. This does not damage you.

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

Bannan_mantis
2020-02-26, 10:12 PM
Made this for a player who wanted to be a fire paladin like Escanor from the 7 Deadly Sins. Now I havent watched that but fire paladin!

PEACH

Link:
https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1Zz_cCpeI?fbclid=IwAR3UKIjhttkHDaf-u3tyB1u5J-XzbVxTameUabnt4GY-4Vf-K5pdbTHkh7U

Oath of the sun
The Oath of the Sun is one of the oldest oaths, rarely used by civilised folk. It is a brutal, savage oath, allowing little in the way of grey area or nuance to get in the way of their righteous crusade. They live a simple, ascetic existence, eschewing comfort and peace, for an everlasting quest of purification. Sometimes called phoenix knights, sun-warriors or knights of the eternal flame these paladins are a terrifying force that cleanses all they deem evil. They have little interest in the laws or societies of man, except where those laws and socities help birth the impure. Purity of the earth is their prime concern. Many pyromaniacs or otherwise destructive folk see this oath as a way to channel their desires towards a better world. Their armour and coats are often decorated with symbols of fire, the sun or beings of fire, such as dragons or phoenixes.

TENETS OF THE SUN
Purity: Never defile the temple that is your body with intoxicants or foul things. Always stay clear in mind and body, devoted to your purpose
Purification: That which is impure, the undead and the fiendish, must always be destroyed. Cleanse the earth.
Life: The Sun is life, first and foremost. Your quest is to preserve life, not destroy it. That which is impure threatens life. Only kill when necessary.
Victory: : The sun is unconquered. It is better to die than to lose. Never accept defeat, many victories have been won in the face of hopeless odds.
Channel Divinity
Burning Weapon: As an action, you can imbue one weapon that you are holding with burning energy, using your Channel Divinity. For 1 minute, you add your Charisma modifier to attack rolls made with that weapon (with a minimum bonus of +1) as fire damage. The weapon also emits bright light in a 60-foot radius and dim light 20 feet beyond that. If the weapon is not already magical, it becomes magical for the duration. You can end this effect on your turn as part of any other action. If you are no longer holding or carrying this weapon, or if you fall unconscious, this effect ends.
Turn the Impure: As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer evoking a wave of purity using your Channel Divinity. Each monstrosity or undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes damage. A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can’t willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can’t take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there’s nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.

Oath Spells
You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed.

Oath of the sun
3rd absorb elements, burning hands
5th aganazzar's scorcher, enhance ability
9th beacon of hope, fireball
13th fire shield, elemental bane
17th flame strike, wall of light

Aura of Sun's Wrath
Starting at 7th level, you and friendly creatures within 10 feet gain advantage on melee attacks against monstrosities or undead

At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Spirit of Eternal flame
Beginning at 15th level, Whenever you deal fire damage, you can choose to deal up to half of it as either radiant or necrotic damage

Phoenix Fury
At 20th level, as an action, you invoke the power of the sun to suffuse your body with life and light.

You emanate an aura of sunlight. For 1 minute, bright light shines from you in a 30-foot radius, and dim light shines 30 feet beyond that.

You gain flaming wings that grant you a fly speed of 60ft

In addition, for the duration, when you are reduced to 0 hit points and are not killed outright, you can choose to drop to 1 hit point instead. When you do this the feature ends, and a fireball is cast, centred on you, as if cast by you from a 5th level slot. This does not damage you.

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

Level 3 abilities: overall these are fine, the channel divinities are interesting though I might recommend a change in burning weapon. The bonus is to attack which doesn't deal damage (even though it's said as fire damage for some reason) so I'd recommend changing it to a bonus to damage rather than attack, plus that fits the idea of a burning weapon more since a weapon on fire should probably be more devastating.

Level 7 ability: this aura feels a bit too on the strong side, it's fun but I think a whole advantage is a bit much and plus I feel like it being specifically monstrosities or undead makes it very situational. I'd recommend changing this, maybe it could be some resistance to heat or radiant damage or if you wanna have this idea of being a burning warrior scorching everything in their way maybe some damage bonus or something.

Level 15 ability: this is ok, possibly on the strong side but I'm not sure, it's a maybe but is also a fun flavourful ability so I think it works.

Level 20 ability: this is fun but I think it needs a small bonus, I feel like the vengeance paladin's ability is stronger since I feel like it does a bit more abilities wise but also lasts longer. Maybe some special fire attack could work.

Lvl45DM!
2020-02-27, 07:28 AM
Level 3 abilities: overall these are fine, the channel divinities are interesting though I might recommend a change in burning weapon. The bonus is to attack which doesn't deal damage (even though it's said as fire damage for some reason) so I'd recommend changing it to a bonus to damage rather than attack, plus that fits the idea of a burning weapon more since a weapon on fire should probably be more devastating.

Level 7 ability: this aura feels a bit too on the strong side, it's fun but I think a whole advantage is a bit much and plus I feel like it being specifically monstrosities or undead makes it very situational. I'd recommend changing this, maybe it could be some resistance to heat or radiant damage or if you wanna have this idea of being a burning warrior scorching everything in their way maybe some damage bonus or something.

Level 15 ability: this is ok, possibly on the strong side but I'm not sure, it's a maybe but is also a fun flavourful ability so I think it works.

Level 20 ability: this is fun but I think it needs a small bonus, I feel like the vengeance paladin's ability is stronger since I feel like it does a bit more abilities wise but also lasts longer. Maybe some special fire attack could work.

All good points! The attack thing is clearly a typo lol.

For the aura, yeah ok, I wanted it situational since he isnt just fire, he's specifically cleansing fire so I made it stronger. But maybe fire resistance is fine.

20th I dunno I figure at that level they have so many fire attacks already, Ill grant him fire immunity though.