PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Firearm adjusted rules

FoxWolFrostFire
2020-02-25, 12:37 PM
So, I love the design of modern firearms. But I think they are WAY to strong for most standard campaign settings. So I thought of this way to adjust the modern fire arm. I didn't hit the over all damage really, but spread it out and add some features camber weapons would likely have. Also tagging what I would price them.

Firearms
Rapid Fire: Any firearm with Rapid fire can make a bonus action attack, when you make an attack Action.

(700GP)Revolver{1d8}, (850GP)Pistol(Automatic){1d6}, (1000GP)Rifle(Hunting){1d10}, (1300GP)Rifle(Automatic){1d8}, (1200GP)Shotgun{2d4}

sandmote
2020-02-25, 10:00 PM
These are more in line with more weapons, yes, although you've now put their costs comparable to a lot of magic weapons, with a power boost not matches by a bonus on attack rolls. For a game trying to make them usable normally, they might be a bit expensive.

Though, in most standard campaign settings I expect ammo isn't going to be viable to get, making modern firearms emergency use only. That can balance out the massive damage per round. I took a similar approach for medieval firearms, which I made usable 1-2 times per encounter (here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?580983-Exotic-Weapons-Including-Firearms-(PEACH))). If you aren't trying to make the setting modern, there's other ways to limit the use of modern firearms.

FoxWolFrostFire
2020-02-26, 02:50 AM
I might have to subtract the price a little bit, But I compare them to the new Double Scimitar found in Eberron. It was pricey, allowed a bonus attack and was melee. I figured the range action made them fair in context.

sandmote
2020-02-26, 11:06 AM
I might have to subtract the price a little bit, But I compare them to the new Double Scimitar found in Eberron. It was pricey, allowed a bonus attack and was melee. I figured the range action made them fair in context.

Oh no, sorry, the damage is fair. The verisimilitude of a firearm doing so little damage isn't great, but the balance is fine. The price is the only potential problem I see. A revolver's a bit weaker than a musket in damage now, so you could probably reduce the price to 400 gp, and go from there?