2020-02-25, 05:15 PM
New comic is up.

Quild
2020-02-25, 05:18 PM
Julia's last line made me laugh more than it should :/

:smallbiggrin:

Ornithologist
2020-02-25, 05:19 PM
Dude's got a point. Belkar's a low point after all. :)

dmc91356
2020-02-25, 05:21 PM
And Roy shows a little more character growth.

Love the last line though.

Aidan
2020-02-25, 05:23 PM
Was wondering the reasoning behind Julia's call, wonder what advice she'll give.

Lissou
2020-02-25, 05:24 PM
I don't know, Belkar has changed enough that his advice isn't consistently worthless. But any help is welcome and after all, Julia does offer a different perspective, that could be pretty useful.

Cavenskull
2020-02-25, 05:27 PM
I don't know, Belkar has changed enough that his advice isn't consistently worthless. But any help is welcome and after all, Julia does offer a different perspective, that could be pretty useful.
That's true, but Roy hasn't seen everything us readers have seen. He's only just now coming to grips with this new Belkar.

Canisius
2020-02-25, 05:28 PM
Oh good. I was hoping Julia had some role to play in this next book. Without the sniping between Belkar and Roy, Roy needed another sarcastic foil.

137beth
2020-02-25, 05:31 PM
Next up:
"Wait, WHAT? You kept a mass murdering psychopath with you for like five books! That is absolute proof that fighters are dumb!"

DLcygnet
2020-02-25, 05:39 PM
Bring on the Wizards Rule, Sorcerer's Drool smack down! Wait, wouldn't their Dad have had years to try scrying on Xykon and his forces and maybe have discovered some weaknesses by now? You know... if he actually cared and wanted his children to succeed. Aaaaand back to Julia to the rescue!

Morty
2020-02-25, 05:41 PM
Amazing how confident Julia suddenly became in her big dumb fighter brother's abilities when the alternative was the destruction of the world.

Fyraltari
2020-02-25, 05:44 PM
Amazing how confident Julia suddenly became in her big dumb fighter brother's abilities when the alternative was the destruction of the world.

I don’t think she actually thinks he is dumb. These two just like trading jabs at each other. It’s good to see that each of Eugenés children is a better person than he is, incidentally.

TerrickTerran
2020-02-25, 05:46 PM
Roy listening to Belkar and Julia....we've clearly entered Bizarro World.

DaOldeWolf
2020-02-25, 05:49 PM
Believe me Julia when I say you dont want to know. :smallbiggrin:

Pablo360
2020-02-25, 05:56 PM
I can't see the new comic for some reason — it just displays the image placeholder icon.

AutomatedTeller
2020-02-25, 05:58 PM
Yeah,it seems to me that Julia and Roy love each other... they are just siblings and no one can get on your nerves faster than family.

Giggling Ghast
2020-02-25, 05:59 PM
Before anyone complains about the joke in the last panel, I went back and checked. Julia never interacted with any other member of Roy's party except for Durkon, so she would have no idea who Belkar is.

BisectedBrioche
2020-02-25, 05:59 PM

I don’t think she actually thinks he is dumb. These two just like trading jabs at each other. It’s good to see that each of Eugenés children is a better person than he is, incidentally.

Ya, it's basically the same as when they hugged and confused Nale.

Having a sibling's just like that.

I can't see the new comic for some reason — it just displays the image placeholder icon.

I had that problem, then I followed the link from The Giant's twitter and that seemed to clear it up.

Ctrl + F5 to clear your cache might fix it, too.

pendell
2020-02-25, 06:00 PM
Yes, Roy, you have a very smart sister who's in college. She may not be in a position to go adventuring, but if there's some magical research that needs doing, I'll bet she can get it done well and fast. Cramming on short notice is what college is all about, after all.

And it's great to see the forums back!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

zinycor
2020-02-25, 06:06 PM
Next up:
"Wait, WHAT? You kept a mass murdering psychopath with you for like five books! That is absolute proof that fighters are dumb!"

I was thinking Julia may fall for the Sexy Shoeless God of War

BisectedBrioche
2020-02-25, 06:10 PM

The two of them can bond over how much their relationship is ticking both Roy and her Dad off (for different reasons).

Fish
2020-02-25, 06:12 PM
Julia’s inability to actually help Roy, except by popping in and giving advice, makes me suspect it’s Sabine. She doesn’t have to demonstrate any magic; she just has to sway Roy’s opinion. And conveniently, the Blood Oath magic means Roy must be alone.

Kareeah_Indaga
2020-02-25, 06:13 PM
I'm loving that last line. :smallbiggrin: You know she wouldn't be smiling like that if she knew how low that bar was!

nrwillick
2020-02-25, 06:18 PM
It would be interesting to see Julia work with the party, and even show up at the last minute to assist. That would mean the end of the Blood Oath, and make their father proud. If he could be that anymore...

Nightcanon
2020-02-25, 06:21 PM
Before anyone complains about the joke in the last panel, I went back and checked. Julia never interacted with any other member of Roy's party except for Durkon, so she would have no idea who Belkar is.

Plus, it's not unusual for siblings to see all of their sibling's friends as one amorphous blob of "Roy's dumb loser mates". My brother claims he never distinguished my wife from my other female friends until after we got engaged, and to be fair while I could identify his friends by name and appearance, I couldn't distinguish by personality.

Jaxzan Proditor
2020-02-25, 06:26 PM
This strip does kind of put what’s going on into perspective; things are very serious and it’s a lot for someone who’s not in the Order to deal with. But, it is nice to see some positive interaction between Julia and Roy and to see Roy listening to others. And it’ll be cool to see how Julia can help.

Qaanol
2020-02-25, 06:37 PM
Panel 6 seems to confirm that Durkon has indeed already told Roy about Thor’s mission regarding Redcloak.

Peelee
2020-02-25, 06:38 PM
Julia's taking this whole "world may end" thing well, I gotta say.

.... No. For multiple reasons. For example, she's 17.

Aidan
2020-02-25, 06:44 PM
Bring on the Wizards Rule, Sorcerer's Drool smack down! Wait, wouldn't their Dad have had years to try scrying on Xykon and his forces and maybe have discovered some weaknesses by now? You know... if he actually cared and wanted his children to succeed. Aaaaand back to Julia to the rescue!

If I remember correctly in the earlier days of the comic, Eugene said something to the effect of not being able to intervene directly with Xykon due to the unfinished business between the two.

Darth Paul
2020-02-25, 06:53 PM
Dude's got a point. Belkar's a low point after all. :)

It's called the Godzilla Threshold (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GodzillaThreshold): when the situation is so bad, you need the King of the Monsters to save you, no matter how many buildings he demolishes in the process. Belkar's kinda like that. (Pre-character growth, anyway.)

Schroeswald
2020-02-25, 07:00 PM
It's called the Godzilla Threshold (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GodzillaThreshold): when the situation is so bad, you need the King of the Monsters to save you, no matter how many buildings he demolishes in the process. Belkar's kinda like that. (Pre-character growth, anyway.)

But as the situations get worse Belkar gets, well better isn't the right word until DStP (and even then thats only him acting better until Durkon's death), but less bad.

Fyraltari
2020-02-25, 07:04 PM

Some of the others reasons are:

Nu-huh
Ewwww!
No. Just... no.
But why?
Gross.
Nope, nope, nope, nopitty-nope.
Belial's burning ballsack, no!

zinycor
2020-02-25, 07:08 PM

How old is Belkar?

Some of the others reasons are:

Nu-huh
Ewwww!
No. Just... no.
But why?
Gross.
Nope, nope, nope, nopitty-nope.
Belial's burning ballsack, no!

....¿?

Anarion
2020-02-25, 07:33 PM
I enjoy Roy and Julia's dynamic. Their relationship has a nice mix of frustration, love, and wit, without it being quite so toxic as their father.

Griffincat
2020-02-25, 07:34 PM
Julia’s inability to actually help Roy, except by popping in and giving advice, makes me suspect it’s Sabine. She doesn’t have to demonstrate any magic; she just has to sway Roy’s opinion. And conveniently, the Blood Oath magic means Roy must be alone.

I like the cut of your jib here.

endiku
2020-02-25, 07:35 PM
I'm just now realizing she's a wizard....:/ :(

...huh.....

Thought she would be more of a sorcerer type what with the whole look at my ta-ta's thing and all

tactically I thought advice from a sorceress might be more relevant to the situation, even if a wizard would be smarter...

KorvinStarmast
2020-02-25, 07:52 PM
Roy's answer to "Who's Belkar?" could work something like this:

He is a psychotic halfling who calls himself The sexy shoeless god of war - and if he touches you, or even thinks about touching you, I'll kill him. I've kicked his butt before, and I can do it again.

This is Roy, who is her older brother.
I had a few friends who dated my sister; some of them were (more or less) trustworthy.
But then she met this really great guy and they are still married and both of their girls are out of college.
Glad she eventually met a slightly higher quality of boyfriend ... just sayin'

Sardonic
2020-02-25, 07:58 PM

As much as this idea intrigues me, the fact that we're seeing Julia act based off of so many minute details gives me pause. For example, her not knowing who Belkar is, and correcting Roy on her age when even Roy hadn't gotten it exactly right. That doesn't completely rule out Sabine, as I'm sure she's a phenomenal actress, but she would have had to have really done her research to play the part well enough to fool Roy.

On that note, I'm not sure that we've ever actually seen Sabine impersonate someone specific. Haven't we only seen her shapeshift to blend in as characters of her own invention, like the CPPD officer, the royal guard in front of Tarquin's castle, and "herself, but not a demon," to name a few?

Marelt Ekiran
2020-02-25, 08:00 PM
While we're on the subject of Julia's age, how old was her mother when she had her?

Roy stated that he remembered his mother as an elderly lady with grey hair and arthritis and that she died three years before the events in the story. That means that she died roughly 13 years after Julia's birth. That seems like a short time to go from childbearing age to dying of old age, unless she died of something else before her time.

And just to preemptively counter the obvious argument, modern medicine does not magically delay the onset of aging. It just makes us less likely to die of other things before that happens.

CriticalFailure
2020-02-25, 08:22 PM
Count me in on the bandwagon that is happy to see Julia back and enjoys her and Roy's dynamic.

jwhouk
2020-02-25, 08:28 PM
While we're on the subject of Julia's age, how old was her mother when she had her?

Roy stated that he remembered his mother as an elderly lady with grey hair and arthritis and that she died three years before the events in the story. That means that she died roughly 13 years after Julia's birth. That seems like a short time to go from childbearing age to dying of old age, unless she died of something else before her time.

And just to preemptively counter the obvious argument, modern medicine does not magically delay the onset of aging. It just makes us less likely to die of other things before that happens.

I'd have to look at OTOOTPC to verify when Eugene was born on his tombstone, but my guess is that she's roughly the same age as Eugene, +/- 2 years.

Vrock Bait
2020-02-25, 08:48 PM
Is it just me or is Julia suddenly more mature and respectable? I don’t mean in the clothing sense, but in the way she behaves.

LadyEowyn
2020-02-25, 09:05 PM

I am going with the explanation that many writers don’t think about math unless they’re forced to. Because yes, the childbearing-age thing means she’d have been mid-50s at latest when she died, and while some people may have arthritis and grey hair at that point, they wouldn’t die of old age.

NobleCuriosity
2020-02-25, 09:23 PM
Well, I was surprised that Roy didn't warn Julia about the possibility of the world ending last time. There we go! Just delayed a bit by her insults.

Xihirli
2020-02-25, 09:38 PM
As much as this idea intrigues me, the fact that we're seeing Julia act based off of so many minute details gives me pause. For example, her not knowing who Belkar is, and correcting Roy on her age when even Roy hadn't gotten it exactly right. That doesn't completely rule out Sabine, as I'm sure she's a phenomenal actress, but she would have had to have really done her research to play the part well enough to fool Roy.

On that note, I'm not sure that we've ever actually seen Sabine impersonate someone specific. Haven't we only seen her shapeshift to blend in as characters of her own invention, like the CPPD officer, the royal guard in front of Tarquin's castle, and "herself, but not a demon," to name a few?

She impersonated Tarquin in bonus comic strips.
Not WELL, mind you. Her skin tone didn’t change.

GrayGriffin
2020-02-25, 09:39 PM

I think the guard was a specific person? The other guards expressed surprise that "he" could fly and mentioned a specific name.

WolvesbaneIII
2020-02-25, 09:42 PM
I don't mind this at all. Having her give advice means she can't really screw things up, and at the end of the day its up to roy to decide if he wants to do as she wants, as in its still his call.

Am I to assume only roy can see or hear her? this could turn out like a death note situation, where he has to keep quiet while she talks to him, and thus alerts roy to things he didn't see, if she can see anything while in this state.

Due to the spell type, I'm not sure she can see much if anything at all, so a clarification on the subject might help. The dad could see stuff right? so I'd assume she could see the environment too.

Windscion
2020-02-25, 09:42 PM
Is it just me or is Julia suddenly more mature and respectable? I don’t mean in the clothing sense, but in the way she behaves.
She doesn't have classmates around to show off for, and she's closing in on facing the outside (stick) world. No idea what the tuition situation is, but I would expect Eugene left his wizard child money for post-grad study. Yeah I just undermined my argument. Go me.

Gluteus_Maximus
2020-02-25, 10:27 PM
How old is Belkar?

28+, according to CaLG. It's very wrong for 17 y/o Julia to 'fall in love' with Belkar.

Verappo
2020-02-25, 10:42 PM
I'm always so happy to see the comic go back and revisit underdeveloped characters from the early strips and explore their psychology (be it Julia, Hylgia or whomever). It would've been very easy to retcon Julia's personality completely to make her more helpful to the group, but this is a nice compromise between her previous careless attitude and the maturity she would need to achieve to want to save the world/ally herself with Roy. Same goes for him of course, I don't think the Roy from book 2 would have been so ready to accept her help.

I like how her reappearance allows the comic to reintroduce and dig into the effects that the blood oath had on both of them. This last book is already setting out to conclude Roy's arc, so it's nice to know that even if he might not make peace with his father, there will at least be a budding understanding with his sister.

zinycor
2020-02-25, 11:20 PM
28+, according to CaLG. It's very wrong for 17 y/o Julia to 'fall in love' with Belkar.

Damn! didn't know that.

Psychronia
2020-02-25, 11:32 PM
To be fair, I would say that Belkar has more experience killing things better than other people than Julia has experience doing magic better than other people.

Xykon probably has them outdone in both departments though, so a third opinion couldn't hurt.

danielxcutter
2020-02-25, 11:33 PM
Yeah, it sounds like most of the jabs at each other were mostly general sibling things. I mean, Julia wanting to help is at least partly based on her future also being on the line, she says as much, but it felt like her comment about the Blood Oath feels more emotional than logical.

She did seem a bit shocked when Roy mentioned "being involved", but considering that her level is comparable to Minrah at best, and the fact that she literally can't without either someone to teleport her there or expending a huge amount of resources and risking backlash from scrolls far beyond her level, I don't exactly blame her.

Necris Omega
2020-02-26, 12:10 AM
It’s good to see that each of Eugenés children is a better person than he is, incidentally.

To be fair, that's less a bar to clear and more a tripping hazard...

Roy's simple :) at being let into Celestia while his father is stuck outside remains one of my favorite moments in this comic, incidentally.

Fish
2020-02-26, 12:17 AM
As much as this idea intrigues me, the fact that we're seeing Julia act based off of so many minute details gives me pause.
This is true. On the other hand, Sabine and Julia spent an unknown amount of time together when Nale was setting his trap for Elan. We don't know how much prep time Sabine had.

Also, I'm not ruling out the possibility that this is Julia ... but it may be Sabine later. You just never know. The IFCC did say Sabine would be returning with "a suitable vessel." That could mean a ship ... or a corporeal host of some kind.

danielxcutter
2020-02-26, 12:20 AM
To be fair, that's less a bar to clear and more a tripping hazard...

Roy's simple :) at being let into Celestia while his father is stuck outside remains one of my favorite moments in this comic, incidentally.

That's less a tripping hazard and more like underground piping, Necris.

Rogar Demonblud
2020-02-26, 12:41 AM
That bar is well below the sewer system, let alone subterranean utilities.

Necris Omega
2020-02-26, 12:46 AM
That's less a tripping hazard and more like underground piping, Necris.

Eh, that'd probably disqualify him from even standing outside Club Celestia.

Eugene's a not-so-magnificent bastard, but he's not evil.

Night Knight
2020-02-26, 12:51 AM
Of course, a vessel could also wind up being a small tube for the transit of blood, or a massive clay pot in addition to a boat or a body.

Bedinsis
2020-02-26, 01:35 AM

Don't you think Roy would be able to pick up on all the subtle clues? They are siblings after all.

Then again, there's a wide age gap between them.

Deathhappens
2020-02-26, 02:03 AM

Scrying on any powerful wizard as a relatively unprotected spirit is a sure-fire way to get yourself a ticket to Painsville, if he's not just completely warded from scrying (as Xykon was for large lengths of time, in Dorukan's dungeon and Azure City).

Deathhappens
2020-02-26, 02:11 AM

Why would Roy need to be alone? He just needs to be, well, Roy, since their shared blood is the connection the spell is piggybacking on. And while Sabine certainly could mimic Julia's outwardly appearance, I doubt she ever had the opportunity to observe her relationship with Roy to the extent of actually fooling Roy about it.

An adult in all but name who has been living for an unknown (afaik) but significant number of years alone while her only family was out adventuring to pay her way through college?

There are a great many reasons why Julia falling for Belkar would be the mother of all bad ideas, namely that Belkar's idea of a romantic relationship starts and ends at "I might bother to learn your name if you're a good lay" but "he's too old!" is not one of them.

Fyraltari
2020-02-26, 03:02 AM
How old is Belkar?

....¿?
Yeah the age thing, but that’s really not important considering you are talking about Belkar a mass-murderer who has only recently grasped the concept that other beings matter (and that’s basically limited to his cat) and is incapable of acknowledging his own sentiment of gratitude. Not boyfriend material.

Of course not, we all know Sabine is Minrah, get your crackpot theories right people!

Precure
2020-02-26, 05:16 AM
"Well, I'm already seeking advice from a psycho mass murderer, maybe I should think about talking with my sister?"

danielxcutter
2020-02-26, 05:59 AM
"Well, I'm already seeking advice from a psycho mass murderer, maybe I should think about talking with my sister?"

I'm pretty sure that was at least half a jab (both at Belkar and at Julia), but she does have a good point - it can't hurt, can it?

b_jonas
2020-02-26, 06:11 AM
I'm just now realizing she's a wizard....:/ :( And I used to think Girard was a wizard, while actually he's a sorcerer and ranger. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?287329-OOTS-892-The-Discussion-Thread/page7&p=15415463#post15415463)

Lissou
2020-02-26, 06:24 AM

I don't think so. It seems to me Sabine would assume Julia knows Belkar when Roy mentioned it to her. And does Sabine know all that stuff about the Blood Oath?
There are two more things: Sabine always keeps her skin tone when she impersonates people, and I don't think Julia and Sabine have the same skin tone (could be wrong). The last one is most relevant though: as far as we know, Sabine can take the shape of people, but can't pretend to be a weird new type of Sending. Unless your suggestion is that she's somewhere else and Sending to Roy, in which case I'm not sure you can pretend to be someone else when you do that?

alexandria2k
2020-02-26, 07:35 AM
That stuttered "Oh no! I can't help you" line from Julia, when Roy told her she wasn't getting involved -

My mom instinct is going "Are you actually at school, Julia?"

danielxcutter
2020-02-26, 07:51 AM
That stuttered "Oh no! I can't help you" line from Julia, when Roy told her she wasn't getting involved -

My mom instinct is going "Are you actually at school, Julia?"

To be fair, she probably knows that she's seriously outmatched by anyone or anything that could reasonably threaten the Order, since the Linear Guild captured her effortlessly and that was several levels ago.

Keltest
2020-02-26, 10:17 AM
Besides all the other reasons why Sabine cant be Julia here, Sabine is not a spellcaster and wouldn't be able to create or cast a communication spell like Julia's. We already know it doesn't follow the rules of Sending, and AFAIK there isn't any other spell that acts like this. So she would have to be casting a spell that doesn't exist from magic items that she cant make or readily obtain in large quantities.

danielxcutter
2020-02-26, 10:36 AM
Besides all the other reasons why Sabine cant be Julia here, Sabine is not a spellcaster and wouldn't be able to create or cast a communication spell like Julia's. We already know it doesn't follow the rules of Sending, and AFAIK there isn't any other spell that acts like this. So she would have to be casting a spell that doesn't exist from magic items that she cant make or readily obtain in large quantities.

...well you could argue that the archfiends have the magical mojo to BS it, but I doubt that.

Kantaki
2020-02-26, 11:14 AM
I love the interaction between the siblings.

Especially Julia's panicked smile in panel 5.
For all that she makes fun of Roy she still looks up to her big brother.:smallbiggrin:

Anansiil
2020-02-26, 11:15 AM
May she Never learn who Belkar is... lol

KorvinStarmast
2020-02-26, 11:31 AM
My mom instinct is going "Are you actually at school, Julia?" That got a RL grin out of me. :smallbiggrin:

Peelee
2020-02-26, 12:21 PM
An adult in all but name who has been living for an unknown (afaik) but significant number of years alone while her only family was out adventuring to pay her way through college?

There are a great many reasons why Julia falling for Belkar would be the mother of all bad ideas, namely that Belkar's idea of a romantic relationship starts and ends at "I might bother to learn your name if you're a good lay" but "he's too old!" is not one of them.

Yes, teenagers are well-known for being emotionally mature enough to handle relations with 30 year-olds.

A ten-year age gap isn't bad at older ages. When one of the parties is a teenager, any aged-teenager, a ten-year gap is a remarkably bad idea.

Rogan
2020-02-26, 12:37 PM
Scrying on any powerful wizard as a relatively unprotected spirit is a sure-fire way to get yourself a ticket to Painsville, if he's not just completely warded from scrying (as Xykon was for large lengths of time, in Dorukan's dungeon and Azure City).

As far as I remember, epic scrying would beat Xykons protection - and the scrying pool in heaven are epic, as well as the (blood) plasma TV of the IFF.

Fyraltari
2020-02-26, 12:38 PM
Wait was Julia even aware that Roy had died?

Fish
2020-02-26, 12:51 PM
Why would Roy need to be alone?
Roy’s dad only manifests when Roy is alone. For any impostor, this is a very convenient limitation to pretend to have to adhere to, as it means the impostor doesn’t have to fool the whole party with her lies — just Roy, who has no ranks in Spellcraft. Roy wouldn’t know if Sending can piggyback on a Blood Oath, but Vaarsuvius might. And Haley, I assume, has a very good Sense Motive check.

And does Sabine know all that stuff about the Blood Oath?
If she spent hours or days with Julia while Nale set his trap, there’s no telling how much Sabine knows. The IFCC can fill her in on any details that Sabine doesn’t know.

There are two more things: Sabine always keeps her skin tone when she impersonates people, and I don't think Julia and Sabine have the same skin tone (could be wrong).
The green aura might conveniently disguise the skin tone, both from Roy, and from us the readers.

The last one is most relevant though: as far as we know, Sabine can take the shape of people, but can't pretend to be a weird new type of Sending.
You mean the doubled green aura that looks very similar to the doubled green aura of Zz’dtri? That aura?

I mean, I haven’t checked the colors in Photoshop for a match, but that’s the first thing I noticed: two overlapping green auras. We’ve seen this before. Do we know that Julia’s casting aura is this color and style, given that she’s, what, barely first level?

Yes, I know Z is dead, but that doesn’t mean he is totally beyond Sabine’s reach.

Doug Lampert
2020-02-26, 12:57 PM
Yes, teenagers are well-known for being emotionally mature enough to handle relations with 30 year-olds.

A ten-year age gap isn't bad at older ages. When one of the parties is a teenager, any aged-teenager, a ten-year gap is a remarkably bad idea.

Away from books, but halflings mature somewhat more slowly than humans. It's not as extreme as elves or dwarfs, but a 29 year old halfling isn't equivalent to a 29 year old human. So the age difference shouldn't be as squickly as it would be with two humans at those ages, but it is still a really, really bad idea.

Edited to add:

Do we know that Julia’s casting aura is this color and style, given that she’s, what, barely first level?

She was 3rd level (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0485.html) when Roy was killed, she casts green (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0337.html).

GrayGriffin
2020-02-26, 01:00 PM
Away from books, but halflings mature somewhat more slowly than humans. It's not as extreme as elves or dwarfs, but a 29 year old halfling isn't equivalent to a 29 year old human. So the age difference shouldn't be as squickly as it would be with two humans at those ages, but it is still a really, really bad idea.

Has it actually been stated that's the case in OOTS? I think the only confirmation we have is elves being extremely long-lived, nothing about halfling aging.

Grey Watcher
2020-02-26, 01:03 PM
Has it actually been stated that's the case in OOTS? I think the only confirmation we have is elves being extremely long-lived, nothing about halfling aging.

Not relevant to halflings, but Durkon does mention being in the same age category as Haley, despite being roughly thirty years her senior. So that would be consistent with (but not proof of) Rich using the 3.5 age tables unmodified.

monomer
2020-02-26, 02:20 PM
Wait was Julia even aware that Roy had died?

I'm pretty sure Eugene would have been on the ghost-phone with Julia the second Roy turned up in the afterlife to let her know how badly he screwed up again.

Bedinsis
2020-02-26, 02:33 PM
I'm pretty sure Eugene would have been on the ghost-phone with Julia the second Roy turned up in the afterlife to let her know how badly he screwed up again.

How would he make a contact when the Greenhilt sword was not in Julia's hands?

khadgar567
2020-02-26, 02:56 PM
considering he is haunting his own bloodline the second his regular target dies julia becomes last eligible target for spell only problem would be the wizard academies wards against possession and julia might immediately cast banish on the spot.

Nightcanon
2020-02-26, 02:59 PM
I am going with the explanation that many writers don’t think about math unless they’re forced to. Because yes, the childbearing-age thing means she’d have been mid-50s at latest when she died, and while some people may have arthritis and grey hair at that point, they wouldn’t die of old age.

Maybe she was the recipient of a number of Haste spells prior to being updated from 2nd edition?

Rogar Demonblud
2020-02-26, 03:14 PM
Or dealing with Eugene is equivalent to a ghost attack.

Resileaf
2020-02-26, 03:27 PM

Presumably, she has an item he can contact her with that works like Roy's sword. After all, she has said that Eugene can indeed visit her, but the wards at her college prevent him from doing it, indicating that he'd do it more often if he was capable.

Snails
2020-02-26, 03:48 PM

If not for such foibles of teens, we could have been spared the Twilight saga.
Need I say more?

Breccia
2020-02-26, 04:11 PM
Julia's last line made me laugh more than it should

Considering what we know about the Girdle of Gender Role Reversal, if Roy was asked if he'd let Belkar and his sister in the same room, or let the world be destroyed, he might actually need a second to think it over.

Lissou
2020-02-26, 04:43 PM
Roy’s dad only manifests when Roy is alone.

Even Roy didn't know that until recently. How would Sabine know it? She can't use something as an excuse if she's not aware of it.

St Fan
2020-02-26, 05:12 PM

Please note, though, that halflings are longer-lived than humans, and like all long-lived races they mature slower. 28 for a halfling is roughly equivalent to 20 for a human.

Fyraltari
2020-02-26, 05:41 PM
Please note, though, that halflings are longer-lived than humans, and like all long-lived races they mature slower. 28 for a halfling is roughly equivalent to 20 for a human.

And we all know how healthy it is to date hyperviolent people of the same age-bracket as you.

Peelee
2020-02-26, 05:52 PM

The Order is suppose to be in roughly the same age range. So Durkon, who is 55, is around his mid-to-late 20's, relationally to the rest. There is no reason to believe Belkar would be at an extreme, as that would make him the youngest of the group.

Emanick
2020-02-26, 06:14 PM
The Order is suppose to be in roughly the same age range. So Durkon, who is 55, is around his mid-to-late 20's, relationally to the rest. There is no reason to believe Belkar would be at an extreme, as that would make him the youngest of the group.

He could easily be in the equivalent of his early twenties:

Development-wise, Durkon is meant to be the dwarf equivalent of the rest of the Order: early to mid-20's.

Of course, this is all largely moot, as age is far from the biggest reason why Belkar and Julia should on no accounts be involved in any way whatsoever.

Peelee
2020-02-26, 06:18 PM
He could easily be in the equivalent of his early twenties:

Whoops, mis-remembered the age range. Thanks!

Still, it'd be like Julia shacking up with Durkon. Even though the relative age range is much less than it seems, it's very easy to forget that, and that's for the people who know about it to begin with. I agree that it's not even the biggest reason, as well.

hamishspence
2020-02-26, 06:34 PM
The aging tables might be a good gauge:

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm#age

Looking at the gap between adulthood and middle age for humans, and then using it as the basis for determining age equivalent for other races.

So - a 110 year old elf is the equivalent of a 15 year old human, a 175 year old elf is the equivalent of a 35 year old human - that makes the 65 year gap the equivalent of a human's 20 year gap - 3.25 years of an elf's life = 1 year of a human's life, very roughly.

V is 130-odd - so, V's the equivalent of 6.15 years older than 15. That's 21.15 years old in human terms. Pretty consistent with The Giant's statement about early 20s.

Durkon is 55-odd. 40 for a dwarf is the equivalent of 15 for a human - 125 for a dwarf is the equivalent of 35 for a human. 85 year dwarf age gap = 20 year human age gap : 4.25 dwarf years = 1 human year. That makes Durkon 18.53 years old in human terms. Much younger than the Giant's comment about early twenties would suggest, though.

Peelee
2020-02-26, 06:38 PM
Durkon is 55-odd. 40 for a dwarf is the equivalent of 15 for a human - 125 for a dwarf is the equivalent of 35 for a human. 85 year dwarf age gap = 20 year human age gap : 4.25 dwarf years = 1 human year. That makes Durkon 18.53 years old in human terms. Much younger than the Giant's comment about early twenties would suggest, though.

Most likely explanation: The Giant eyeballed it and was off by a bit.

Still likely possibility: The Giant eyeballed it and was off by a bit, but that is now completely accurate for dwarf's aging in Stickworld neener neener:smalltongue:.

hamishspence
2020-02-26, 06:57 PM
To be fair, Elan's only 21 and this qualifies as early 20s.

Durkon's 54-year-old age at the start of the strip, being the equivalent of 20 in human years, isn't too far off what the aging chart would suggest.

V, Durkon, and Elan being very early 20s, Haley at 24 being mid-twenties, and Roy at 20 being late 20s, is about right. Belkar's age is unknown - 28 was a lower limit - he could be quite a bit older, and still qualify as being in his mid-twenties-equivalent in halfling terms.

NerdyKris
2020-02-26, 09:25 PM
It's cool that we're all trying to think of reasons to ship a teenager and a murderous full grown adult. Totally cool.

Emanick
2020-02-26, 09:53 PM
It's cool that we're all trying to think of reasons to ship a teenager and a murderous full grown adult. Totally cool.

I don't think anybody is actually doing that.

CriticalFailure
2020-02-26, 10:15 PM
Other races don't necessarily age in the exact same ratio humans do.

zinycor
2020-02-27, 12:11 AM
Yeah the age thing, but that’s really not important considering you are talking about Belkar a mass-murderer who has only recently grasped the concept that other beings matter (and that’s basically limited to his cat) and is incapable of acknowledging his own sentiment of gratitude. Not boyfriend material.

I disagree, Belkar is a sexy shoeless god of war, this has been stated and proven in the comic in numerous ocassions, sadly Julia is too young for The Belkster, but I don't think he is gross or anything of the sort.

GrayGriffin
2020-02-27, 12:30 AM
I don't think anybody is actually doing that.

They're not, it's true, but there's a lot of people trying to justify why "age doesn't matter!"

Teasenitryn
2020-02-27, 12:47 AM
They're not, it's true, but there's a lot of people trying to justify why "age doesn't matter!"

Ok, sure, but let's add in the context that a good bunch that have said that, and as someone who is eight years and nine months the junior in my relationship I agree, that age isn't the biggest issue as to why he shouldn't be with her.

I believe they are of equal relative racial maturity, that is not to say I believe he should be anywhere near a relationship with her.

danielxcutter
2020-02-27, 12:52 AM
Ok, sure, but let's add in the context that a good bunch that have said that, and as someone who is eight years and nine months the junior in my relationship I agree, that age isn't the biggest issue as to why he shouldn't be with her.

I believe they are of equal relative racial maturity, that is not to say I believe he should be anywhere near a relationship with her.

There is also the factor of, say, half-dragons or half-elves, where it is nigh-impossible for the couple to stay in the same age ballpark for very long (from the perspective of the longer-lived partner, at least). Do note that we actually do have a more-or-less canon example of this in-comic, with the black dragon ancestor of the Draketooth clan and his human partner.

Of course, as many people have noted, including the actual post I just quoted, age is far from the biggest problem here, so it's arguably a moot point.

Emanick
2020-02-27, 01:45 AM

Unless I missed something, I don't believe anyone made that claim, either. I have seen several people suggest that 28+ in halfling years is not at all the same as 28+ in human years, which strikes me as pretty subjective. In our world, age is relevant to relationships because it reflects maturity and life experience; in a world where different races mature at different rates, you probably would want there to be a significant age gap between the member of the longer-lived species and the member of the shorter-lived species. But we don't have great evidence about how racial differences in aging work in the OOTSverse, particularly when it comes to halflings, and although this is a fairly interesting side discussion (at least to me, and, apparently, others), I do feel kind of weird discussing it when it's only relevant because it was precipitated by a pretty gross idea.

For what it's worth, I've always stood by the half-your-age-plus-seven rule as a general guideline: if someone's younger than that, they're too young for you. It's not perfect (for instance, entering college or the workforce tends to raise your maturity level suddenly in a way that the rule doesn't really reflect), but it's more reliable than any other generalization I can think of.

factotum
2020-02-27, 02:04 AM
Not relevant to halflings, but Durkon does mention being in the same age category as Haley, despite being roughly thirty years her senior. So that would be consistent with (but not proof of) Rich using the 3.5 age tables unmodified.

Also, why assume he's going with something else when there's no evidence of it? I mean, I could say that all female halflings in OotS are called Judy, purely because (as far as I remember) that's the only one we've heard about, and that would still be more evidence-based than "Rich isn't bothering with the 3.5 age system because reasons".

Rektascensja
2020-02-27, 04:07 AM
I could say that all female halflings in OotS are called Judy, purely because (as far as I remember) that's the only one we've heard about There was a female halfling named Serini.

danielxcutter
2020-02-27, 04:16 AM
There was a female halfling named Serini.

Wow, how the *bleep* did I miss that?

Kantaki
2020-02-27, 04:56 AM
Considering V's kids are in their twenties (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0629.html) lived years are definitely not the important factor when dating outside your species in the Stick-verse.

Not that it matters there because Julia anyone dating Belkar is just wrong for enough reasons to fill a library.:smallyuk:

danielxcutter
2020-02-27, 04:57 AM
Considering V's kids are in their twenties (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0629.html) lived years are definitely not the important factor when dating outside your species in the Stick-verse.

Not that it matters there because Julia anyone dating Belkar is just wrong for enough reasons to fill a library.:smallyuk:

How big of a library are we talking about?

Kantaki
2020-02-27, 05:05 AM
How big of a library are we talking about?

Small moon?:smalltongue:

BisectedBrioche
2020-02-27, 05:43 AM
I can't believe we've discovered some sort of corollary to the creepy "um, actually she might look like a 16 y/o, but she's over 500 years old!" argument.

TBH, aside from all the non-age related reasons, wouldn't someone who's been around for 50 years still have a lot more experience with life than someone who'd been around for 20, even if they were proportionately the same age? That would make the adjustment kinda moot.

hamishspence
2020-02-27, 06:46 AM
For what it's worth, I've always stood by the half-your-age-plus-seven rule as a general guideline: if someone's younger than that, they're too young for you. It's not perfect (for instance, entering college or the workforce tends to raise your maturity level suddenly in a way that the rule doesn't really reflect), but it's more reliable than any other generalization I can think of.

Using that formula, 17 is the minimum appropriate age for a 20 year old's partner. So it would be reasonable to say anyone who is 21 or older (or the equivalent, if a different species) is too old for Julia.

danielxcutter
2020-02-27, 07:37 AM
I can't believe we've discovered some sort of corollary to the creepy "um, actually she might look like a 16 y/o, but she's over 500 years old!" argument.

TBH, aside from all the non-age related reasons, wouldn't someone who's been around for 50 years still have a lot more experience with life than someone who'd been around for 20, even if they were proportionately the same age? That would make the adjustment kinda moot.

:nale: "It's not the years, kid, it's the milage. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0258.html)

Speaking of which, I must remind you that Nale Tarquinson of all people put it better than Andy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1064.html), which is really saying something.

Emanick
2020-02-27, 07:38 AM

Different people make different assumptions about how this works. The fact that longer-lived species develop more slowly (and, among other things, get their age-related bonuses to Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma after far more years than humans do) is often interpreted to mean that it takes more time for life experience to impact them. This is sort of weird and doesn't make a lot of sense, even though it does seem to be true to at least some degree (e.g., if V spent 20 years in diapers, as s/he says at one point, I can't imagine that s/he really gained anything approaching the human equivalent of 20 years of life experience during that time). That said, you can imagine that it only goes so far. I think The Giant made some comment about how Durkon having more years to develop has made him more mature in some ways, although I can't be bothered to dig it up at this ungodly hour.

Maybe interspecies relationships are rare in the OOTSverse not because of racism, but because it's just hard to be compatible with somebody who matured at a different rate than you did. Let's say you're a human who grows up in an elven village. When you become old enough to date, you're probably going to want to date one of the people around you, but you can't go for someone literally your age because they're in diapers and that's disgusting. You could spring for somebody who's also a teenager in biological terms, but they'd be like 90. What's the least creepy age to date? It's totally unclear, and a lot of people might come to the conclusion that the answer is "none of them." That said, half-elves are common enough to be considered one of the seven main playable races, so they do exist - and, if nothing else, Dorukan and Lirian seem to have had a healthy, successful relationship. So who knows what's going on?

hamishspence
2020-02-27, 07:48 AM
:nale: "It's not the years, kid, it's the milage. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0258.html)

Speaking of which, I must remind you that Nale Tarquinson of all people put it better than Andy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1064.html), which is really saying something.

At least part of it may be that Nale's adventured, whereas Pompey has only attended school.

Using the aforementioned ageing tables:

20 for a half-elf = 15 for a human, 62 for a half elf = 35 for a human: 42 half-elf years = 20 human years : 23 half elf years = 11 human years (roughly) so a 43 year old half elf is roughly the equivalent of a 15+11 year old human. That's 26.

So Pompey is much too old for Julia.

Peelee
2020-02-27, 08:39 AM
I disagree, Belkar is a sexy shoeless god of war, this has been stated and proven in the comic in numerous ocassions.
If I say in a genius and outsmart a couple people, would you say it's been proven?

Andi clearly needs to watch Indiana Jones

Keltest
2020-02-27, 08:52 AM
Small moon?:smalltongue:

It needs to be said but...

That's no moon. That's a library.

danielxcutter
2020-02-27, 09:21 AM
At least part of it may be that Nale's adventured, whereas Pompey has only attended school.

Point.

Using the aforementioned ageing tables:

20 for a half-elf = 15 for a human, 62 for a half elf = 35 for a human: 42 half-elf years = 20 human years : 23 half elf years = 11 human years (roughly) so a 43 year old half elf is roughly the equivalent of a 15+11 year old human. That's 26.

So Pompey is much too old for Julia.

I dunno, Pompey honestly doesn't look (or act) that old IMO.

If I say in a genius and outsmart a couple people, would you say it's been proven?

Depends on how smart those people were, for starters.

Andi clearly needs to watch Indiana Jones

I'm sorry, some of us haven't gotten past the "uncultured swine" level yet. Could you elaborate?

It needs to be said but...

That's no moon. That's a library.

And so the topic drifts towards Star Wars yet again. This is the way it was meant to be, I suppose.

Schroeswald
2020-02-27, 10:19 AM
And so the topic drifts towards Star Wars yet again. This is the way it was meant to be, I suppose.

So what did everyone think of the latest Star War? I personally though it was [nah, gonna wait for an actual discussion before saying my opinions :smalltongue:]

The MunchKING
2020-02-27, 10:34 AM

And teenagers are WELL known for rationally thinking through who they want to have emotional responses to. :smalltongue:

You mean the doubled green aura that looks very similar to the doubled green aura of Zz’dtri? That aura?

I mean, I haven’t checked the colors in Photoshop for a match, but that’s the first thing I noticed: two overlapping green auras. We’ve seen this before. Do we know that Julia’s casting aura is this color and style, given that she’s, what, barely first level?

It looked a little lighter (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0354.html), but that was multiple art updates ago. And it was definitely green.

The MunchKING
2020-02-27, 10:37 AM
She was 3rd level (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0485.html) when Roy was killed, she casts green (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0337.html).

Huh, it’s darker when she casts Sending than Magic Missile. Weird.

Peelee
2020-02-27, 11:02 AM
Depends on how smart those people were, for starters.
Not really. Imean, five bucks says I know more about sleep apnea than Einstein did.

I'm sorry, some of us haven't gotten past the "uncultured swine" level yet. Could you elaborate?
That line is from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Marion Ravenwood: You're not the man I knew ten years ago.
Indiana Jones: It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.

ETA: I highly recommend Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade. My wife had never seen them either, and after watching Raiders she said it felt like she'd already seen the whole movie, since there are so many famous scenes in homages, lampoon, or outright copies. But in a good way.

Temple of Doom Isn't bad, but it's problematic with Raiders if you think about it any. And as it's the weakest of the three, it's the only one I'd not call a must-watch.

Rogar Demonblud
2020-02-27, 11:40 AM
I've found that Temple actually works best if you show it first (which is where it goes chronologically). You can use it to set up Indy and the world he's in, and it thus makes sense when the government shows up in Raiders looking for him. Plus, you go from low to high.

Grey Watcher
2020-02-27, 11:52 AM
Not really. Imean, five bucks says I know more about sleep apnea than Einstein did.

Just puts me in mind of this (https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2010-01-29).

Temple of Doom Isn't bad, but it's problematic with Raiders if you think about it any. And as it's the weakest of the three, it's the only one I'd not call a must-watch.

I'm not 100% sure what it says about me that neither I nor my born-and-raised-in-India father never felt any discomfort from that movie. To the point where I was a bit surprised when my parents got into an argument with one of my older cousins about it. I guess (to my eyes) it always seemed so stupidly over the top that I barely even connected it to reality. Like, my impression of the banquet scene (arguably the most problematic part) was that it was supposed to be gross and weird for the same reason that, say, Dracula's castle is spooky and weird. That it wasn't so much a "lol, foreigners are weird" gag as a "there is something very obviously wrong here," that happen to be played more lightheartedly. Before we see literal child slaves in the mines and stuff. (This interpretation is somewhat belied by the fact that Jones takes everything in stride, though.)

Still, I know that my enjoyment of it is heavily tied to nostalgia. So I can see that, of the original 3, it's the one you're missing the least by skipping. Heck, I can't even remember if there are any callbacks to it in Last Crusade or Crystal Skull, so it's not like you'll be at some kind of comprehension disadvantage for skipping it.

Knick
2020-02-27, 12:27 PM

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! This!!

Roy, you are in the end-game, and you need to know who you are talking to!

Grey Watcher
2020-02-27, 01:10 PM

The on-label use of the Blood Oath magic requires the recipient be alone. But Julia's specifically hacking into the magic and using it in a way that's very much unintended. Much like a video game exploit or an internet security problem, she's taking advantage of the fact that whoever invented Blood Oath magic didn't take into account someone using it in exactly this way.

If she's already working around one of the intended limits of the spell, why is it so hard to believe she could work around another?

Doug Lampert
2020-02-27, 01:57 PM

I note from the fact that you refer to the THREE Indiana Jones movie that the recent thing doesn't actually exist in your world.

Can I move there somehow? How many Star Wars movies are there in your universe? And did anyone ever make a sequel to the Matrix there?

Peelee
2020-02-27, 02:35 PM
Just puts me in mind of this (https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2010-01-29).

I'm not 100% sure what it says about me that neither I nor my born-and-raised-in-India father never felt any discomfort from that movie. To the point where I was a bit surprised when my parents got into an argument with one of my older cousins about it. I guess (to my eyes) it always seemed so stupidly over the top that I barely even connected it to reality. Like, my impression of the banquet scene (arguably the most problematic part) was that it was supposed to be gross and weird for the same reason that, say, Dracula's castle is spooky and weird. That it wasn't so much a "lol, foreigners are weird" gag as a "there is something very obviously wrong here," that happen to be played more lightheartedly. Before we see literal child slaves in the mines and stuff. (This interpretation is somewhat belied by the fact that Jones takes everything in stride, though.)
I agree with almost everything here. In fact, I like that they specifically made Dr. Jones explicitly call out Willie's ignorance (and I don't mean that pejoratively, many of the ways she reacts are how most people would to such extraordinary developments) on multiple occasions, like when the village offers them food.

My issue with Temple of Doom is Temple of Doom is a prequel. Indy ultimately survives by proclaiming that Mola Ram betrayed Shiva, which the Sankar stones responded to. Jones then claimed he understood their power, which is clearly supernatural. That doesnt mesh with what we see if him in Raiders, where he speaks dismissively towards the power of the Ark.

Also, there an SMBC for everything. :smallwink:

I note from the fact that you refer to the THREE Indiana Jones movie that the recent thing doesn't actually exist in your world.

Can I move there somehow? How many Star Wars movies are there in your universe?

...... One.

That should rile up just about everyone.
:smalltongue:

Jasdoif
2020-02-27, 02:43 PM
How many Star Wars movies are there in your universe?...... One.The first few episodes of Star Wars: The Clone Wars got rolled mashed into a movie in your universe too, huh?

Schroeswald
2020-02-27, 02:47 PM
...... One.

:smalltongue:

Hey me too! Is it the same one? Mine is the famed masterpiece for the ages Attack of the Clones, a beautiful love story/action movie that earned Hayden Christiansen his first Oscar, how about yours?

I cannot tell you how many jokes I went through before settling on this one.

zinycor
2020-02-27, 03:30 PM
I just don't get why people say that besides the age, dating Belkar would be gross. The guy is a badass adventurer who loves his car and kills anyone he pleases, what's not to love?

Frozenstep
2020-02-27, 04:05 PM
who loves his car

:smallconfused:

If Belker drove a car, which model would it be?

KorvinStarmast
2020-02-27, 04:07 PM
So what did everyone think of the latest Star War? I am glad it's over.

The one from the Board Game Life. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0606.html)

Peelee
2020-02-27, 04:14 PM
Nah. Belkar's a Camaro guy all the way.

Kantaki
2020-02-27, 05:15 PM

Maybe I shouldn't have lowballed the size of that book storage...:smallbiggrin:

Matchbox.:smalltongue:

MossyMeow
2020-02-27, 05:31 PM
I’ve been lurking on the forum for the past two days, but decided to log on to commentate the momentous occasion of the first Star Wars tangent since the forums came back online. And it only took four pages!

danielxcutter
2020-02-27, 07:36 PM
I’ve been lurking on the forum for the past two days, but decided to log on to commentate the momentous occasion of the first Star Wars tangent since the forums came back online. And it only took four pages!

I'm pretty sure there's threads that have only taken one, probably during Blood Runs In The Family.

Schroeswald
2020-02-27, 09:08 PM
How long till we get Tarquin, Miko and Hilgya? I'll bet that Tarquin comes up in the next week, Hilgya in the next month and, actually I don't think we've had a Miko tangent (beyond a thread made about her) since I joined the forums.

Ruck
2020-02-27, 09:11 PM
I was under the impression that whatever Belkar's age, he is clearly an adult halfling male. Julia is a teenager.

I do not think Rich has any interest in writing an adult-teen relationship in this book and possibly in any other books he ever writes (although I can't say for certain).

From a practical standpoint, it's implausible this would happen by the end of this story, given the Order's focus on their mission, the unlikelihood Julia would be able to make it to where they are, and, of course, Belkar's impending death.

I am, as always, amazed by the forum's ability to speculate for multiple pages on a Belkar-Julia relationship simply from Julia's comment "Who's Belkar?"

Schroeswald
2020-02-27, 09:17 PM
I am, as always, amazed by the forum's ability to speculate for multiple pages on a Belkar-Julia relationship simply from Julia's comment "Who's Belkar?"

We sure are amazing, not always in a good way, but we are always "causing great surprise or sudden wonder" (https://www.dictionary.com/browse/amazing).

factotum
2020-02-28, 02:56 AM
I was under the impression that whatever Belkar's age, he is clearly an adult halfling male. Julia is a teenager.

I do not think Rich has any interest in writing an adult-teen relationship in this book and possibly in any other books he ever writes (although I can't say for certain).

Julia is 17, I think? In many countries that would be perfectly reasonable age for marriage--my mother was only 17 when she married my 27-year-old father back in 1953. And it's not like Julia is some kind of white-as-the-driven-snow innocent, this is the person whose first instinct when trying to get Durkon's attention was to point out her boobs! Not a supporter of her having any sort of relationship with Belkar, mind, it just doesn't make any sense from a story point of view regardless of any questions about their respective ages.

Kantaki
2020-02-28, 05:09 AM
I'm pretty sure there's threads that have only taken one, probably during Blood Runs In The Family.

It doesn't count when the comic brings it up on its own.:smalltongue:

bravelove
2020-02-28, 06:09 AM
Oh hey the forums are back neat, god the last few pages have been SO GOOD, I love seeing Julia again and Rich is feeding me with these really really good sibling dynamics, I love this comic

littlebum2002
2020-02-28, 08:59 AM
So what did everyone think of the latest Star War? I personally though it was [nah, gonna wait for an actual discussion before saying my opinions :smalltongue:]

There are 2 types of people in the world:

1) people who realize that Disney Star Wars movies are the best Star Wars movies, and

2) people who are wrong

I honestly think that the last trilogy was the best in the series. Sure, the last movie was the weakest of the trilogy, but that's true of the original trilogy, too. And Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie ever made. That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot one

3) people who have never heard of, or don't enjoy, Star Wars movies

Peelee
2020-02-28, 10:31 AM
There are 2 types of people in the world:

1) people who realize that Disney Star Wars movies are the best Star Wars movies, and

2) people who are wrong

I honestly think that the last trilogy was the best in the series. Sure, the last movie was the weakest of the trilogy, but that's true of the original trilogy, too. And Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie ever made. That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/67/7c/d1/677cd1278dd274b2e43b16be30cae98d.gif

Quizatzhaderac
2020-02-28, 10:52 AM
How many Star Wars movies are there in your universe? And did anyone ever make a sequel to the Matrix there?Depending on how you count, zero or twenty-seven.

There have been 27 seasons of B-list stars "warring" via trivial contests/fashion shows/corn-hole/erotic staring contexts, but no official movies. However fans consistently edit the seasons into Tollywood style musical movies, so if you say "the fifteenth Star Wars movie" people immediately know what you're talking about.

As for the Matrix, it was a sequel to Transformers: the movie. There was a thrid movie after that (and a fourth) but I wouldn't really say it was specifically a sequel to the Matrix.

danielxcutter
2020-02-28, 10:55 AM
Depending on how you count, zero or twenty-seven.

There have been 27 seasons of B-list stars "warring" via trivial contests/fashion shows/corn-hole/erotic staring contexts, but no official movies. However fans consistently edit the seasons into Tollywood style musical movies, so if you say "the fifteenth Star Wars movie" people immediately know what you're talking about.

As for the Matrix, it was a sequel to Transformers: the movie. There was a thrid movie after that (and a fourth) but I wouldn't really say it was specifically a sequel to the Matrix.

Hur hur hur. I got that last reference.

Emperor Time
2020-02-28, 12:18 PM
It for the best that Julia doesn't know about Belkar. Since in some ways he even more than a handful than Pompey and that stalker with a crush for her is still out there in an alliance with Leeky Windstaff and could return in the story someday or not. So it for the best that she doesn't meet him as well.

littlebum2002
2020-02-28, 12:50 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/67/7c/d1/677cd1278dd274b2e43b16be30cae98d.gif

I really set myself up for that one, didn't I? Anyway, i only have 1 thing to say to people who revere the OT:

https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/kylo-ren-let-the-past-die-gif.gif

Schroeswald
2020-02-28, 01:20 PM
I really set myself up for that one, didn't I? Anyway, i only have 1 thing to say to people who revere the OT:

https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/kylo-ren-let-the-past-die-gif.gif

I believe that the person in that gif wasn’t supposed to be right, tis why it was said by the villain right before the other protagonist and Luke were like “Naw, you wrong” (we just saw the part he said that too!).

Also Disney Star Wars is 3/5 good, but I’m still not feeling like saying what that 3/5 is (I’ll do it eventually though).

Peelee
2020-02-28, 02:08 PM

It is a bold choice to quote that line from a character obsessed with Darth Vader and who fights (and loses to) Luke Skywalker and Palpatine.:smallamused:

Caledonian
2020-02-28, 03:51 PM
Julia seems to be high INT, low WIS and CHA. Which is a shame. But it's possible she might have something insightful to say about the upcoming battle. More importantly, Roy is putting up with her on the off chance that she might have something to say, which is responsible and wise.

Schroeswald
2020-02-28, 04:02 PM
Julia seems to be high INT, low WIS and CHA. Which is a shame. But it's possible she might have something insightful to say about the upcoming battle. More importantly, Roy is putting up with her on the off chance that she might have something to say, which is responsible and wise.

I’d guess she has good charisma, you don’t get to be the most popular girl in the school based solely on your grades and INT.

Caledonian
2020-02-28, 04:06 PM
I'm not 100% sure what it says about me that neither I nor my born-and-raised-in-India father never felt any discomfort from that movie. To the point where I was a bit surprised when my parents got into an argument with one of my older cousins about it. I guess (to my eyes) it always seemed so stupidly over the top that I barely even connected it to reality.

{scrubbed}

CriticalFailure
2020-02-28, 04:57 PM
How long till we get Tarquin, Miko and Hilgya? I'll bet that Tarquin comes up in the next week, Hilgya in the next month and, actually I don't think we've had a Miko tangent (beyond a thread made about her) since I joined the forums.

We could discuss how each of these characters feel about 27 year olds dating 17 year olds. I think Tarquin is in favor of it, Hilgya doesn't care, and Miko's stance is "slash slash slash."

Schroeswald
2020-02-28, 05:39 PM
We could discuss how each of these characters feel about 27 year olds dating 17 year olds. I think Tarquin is in favor of it, Hilgya doesn't care, and Miko's stance is "slash slash slash."

Tarquin is also probably in favor of [Tarquin’s age] year olds dating a few years younger tbh.

Hilgya might care in specific circumstances, mostly if it’s her or her son involved.

Miko is dead on, she’d be bumping a lot of uglies.

CriticalFailure
2020-02-28, 05:46 PM
Tarquin is also probably in favor of [Tarquin’s age] year olds dating a few years younger tbh.

Hilgya might care in specific circumstances, mostly if it’s her or her son involved.

Miko is dead on, she’d be bumping a lot of uglies.

Yeah that's basically what I was thinking for all of them. Tarquin seems like the sort who would say "age is just a number" while trying to sleep with someone young enough to be his child.

Rogar Demonblud
2020-02-28, 11:19 PM
He's getting old enough you could say grandchild.

Lissou
2020-02-29, 08:04 AM
He's getting old enough you could say grandchild.

His son is in his 20s.

Peelee
2020-02-29, 08:12 AM
His son is in his 20s.

And if he had his son at 40, then a 20-year-old would still be young enough to be his grandchild. His actual children's ages are irrelevant. I don't think we know his age, but I'm not sure the Giant Steve Martin'd him.

Schroeswald
2020-02-29, 08:57 AM
And if he had his son at 40, then a 20-year-old would still be young enough to be his grandchild. His actual children's ages are irrelevant. I don't think we know his age, but I'm not sure the Giant Steve Martin'd him.

We have a minimum age of 51 due to him having adventured for 35 years but I'd guess he's at least 53 (the date you reach Old Age).

Rogar Demonblud
2020-02-29, 12:51 PM
Yeah. Have first kid at 17 or 18, that kid has kid at 17 or 18, your grandkid is Julia's age at his current age.

KorvinStarmast
2020-02-29, 10:20 PM
Also Disney Star Wars is 3/5 good, but I’m still not feeling like saying what that 3/5 is (I’ll do it eventually though). Rogue One was good.
1/5.

Solo had its moments, but was really disappointing to me because of what it could have been - argh.

The 7,8,9 had some moments, each did, but they kept tripping all over themselves in terms of flow and plot.

At least it ended. And I did like Rey's last line.

Peelee
2020-02-29, 10:26 PM
Also Disney Star Wars is 3/5 good, but I’m still not feeling like saying what that 3/5 is (I’ll do it eventually though).

Rogue One was good.
1/5.

Disney Star Wars has a sixth pillar - The Mandalorian. So both y'all need to add one to both numerator and denominator. :smallwink:

Schroeswald
2020-02-29, 10:37 PM
Disney Star Wars has a sixth pillar - The Mandalorian. So both y'all need to add one to both numerator and denominator. :smallwink:

Okay then, I haven't got around to actually finishing that but 4/6 I guess, Mandalorian was pretty good and fun, nothing deep or amazing, but a decent story in an interesting world, Disney should do more of those instead of making a bunch of stuff around the ST and rehashing the prequels and the original trilogy (and telling dumb backstories, Rogue One was good but it was a dumb backstory to make).

factotum
2020-03-01, 03:56 AM

It also has Star Wars: Rebels, which was produced while Lucasfilm was a subsidiary of Disney so it counts.

KorvinStarmast
2020-03-01, 07:53 AM
Disney Star Wars has a sixth pillar - The Mandalorian. Like it so far, and the addition of Giancarlo Esposito bodes well for next season. That said, there's some heavy handedness in it (particularly in the last two episodes) that I hope they smooth out next season

Schroeswald
2020-03-01, 08:52 AM
It also has Star Wars: Rebels, which was produced while Lucasfilm was a subsidiary of Disney so it counts.
I'm not adding that because I've only seen the first episode of it, oh and also if we're going to keep adding stuff there's also comics, the like two books (I know there have been more, it just feels like there have been 2), the new seasons of the Clone Wars and Star Wars: Forces of Destiny, which is like 11 pillars?

However of those extra pillars I have only read Tarkin and that one comic book that was in continuity with the original comics, maybe I saw a couple of the episodes of Clone Wars, and I watched a review of Forces of Destiny, not enough to judge any of them.

factotum
2020-03-01, 11:41 AM
I'm not adding that because I've only seen the first episode of it

Oh, OK, so anything you've not read or seen is no longer canonically part of the Star Wars universe? Got it. Don't suppose you can retroactively forget you ever saw Last Jedi, in that case? :smallsmile:

Schroeswald
2020-03-01, 01:09 PM
Oh, OK, so anything you've not read or seen is no longer canonically part of the Star Wars universe? Got it. Don't suppose you can retroactively forget you ever saw Last Jedi, in that case? :smallsmile:

It’s more “I can’t judge a tv show I saw one episode of years ago”. Oh and TLJ is definitely not the sequel movie I’d be forgetting I ever watched.
It’s the Rise of Skywalker, that film is baaaaad.

mucat
2020-03-01, 04:47 PM
I'm just now realizing she's a wizard....:/ :(

...huh.....

Thought she would be more of a sorcerer type what with the whole look at my ta-ta's thing and all
Eugene Greenhilt's kid, a sorceress?

You almost never use the words 'crushing disappointment' when talking about her.Julia's a wizard.

Peelee
2020-03-01, 06:12 PM

I love Rebels, but in the spirit of everyone and their mothers ignoring the 2008 film The Clone Wars (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Clone_Wars_(film)), I assume only live-action counts. :smallwink:

Schroeswald
2020-03-01, 07:20 PM
I love Rebels, but in the spirit of everyone and their mothers ignoring the 2008 film The Clone Wars (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Clone_Wars_(film)), I assume only live-action counts. :smallwink:

That's not included because people got used to only counting the Skywalker Saga and treating the movie as apart of the tv show, and then they decided to count Solo and Rogue One, and just forgot that TCW counts.

Peelee
2020-03-01, 09:37 PM
That's not included because people got used to only counting the Skywalker Saga and treating the movie as apart of the tv show, and then they decided to count Solo and Rogue One, and just forgot that TCW counts.

"It was the red-headed stepchild at first, but later it became the red-headed stepchild" isn't a terribly resounding rebuttal. :smalltongue:

danielxcutter
2020-03-01, 09:49 PM
Eugene Greenhilt's kid, a sorceress?

I'm at least fairly sure she could have pulled it off, like Roy having the Wis and Cha to pull off a Cleric. Maybe an Ultimate Magus build, that might have worked.

Schroeswald
2020-03-01, 09:55 PM
I'm at least fairly sure she could have pulled it off, like Roy having the Wis and Cha to pull off a Cleric. Maybe an Ultimate Magus build, that might have worked.

The point is that Eugene's favorite child would of course be a wizard, because he's a "wizards are clearly superior to every other class" dude (as seen in interacting with Roy and Master Fyron).

danielxcutter
2020-03-01, 09:57 PM
The point is that Eugene's favorite child would of course be a wizard, because he's a "wizards are clearly superior to every other class" dude (as seen in interacting with Roy and Master Fyron).

I said could, not would. Ultimate Magus is a bit of a bleh prestige class anyways; I'm just saying that she probably has the ability scores to make that work at all.

factotum
2020-03-02, 02:56 AM

I may be wrong, but Disney only bought Lucasfilm in 2012, right? So if you're specifically only talking about "Disney" Star Wars stuff, that one wouldn't count. I maybe missed the point of this argument if that's not what we're talking about.

Schroeswald
2020-03-02, 06:40 AM
I may be wrong, but Disney only bought Lucasfilm in 2012, right? So if you're specifically only talking about "Disney" Star Wars stuff, that one wouldn't count. I maybe missed the point of this argument if that's not what we're talking about.

He doesn’t count animated stuff because no one ever really counts the Clone Wars movie as a Star Wars movie.

Peelee
2020-03-02, 08:14 AM
He doesn’t count animated stuff because no one ever really counts the Clone Wars movie as a Star Wars movie.

Yes, exactly.

Also I'm almost entirely joking. Anyone who's seen that movie will agree it should be forgotten.:smallwink:

Fyraltari
2020-03-02, 08:47 AM
Yes, exactly.

Also I'm almost entirely joking. Anyone who's seen that movie will agree it should be forgotten.:smallwink:

And yet you remind us.

Schroeswald
2020-03-02, 09:05 AM
Yes, exactly.

Movie? What movie? The Clone Wars is a well liked animated series, I don’t remember any movie set in that, they just skipped over that in episode 3. I only know of 9 Star Warses, eight numbered ones (it’s really weird they didn’t make a ninth, oh well), and Rogue One.

D.One
2020-03-02, 09:11 AM
it’s really weird they didn’t make a ninth, oh well

They didn't make an eight also. Maybe you are mixing with some "A Star Wars Story" title :smalltongue:

This new trilogy of one (Episode VII: A New New Hope) is really different.

Peelee
2020-03-02, 10:02 AM
And yet you remind us.

As they say, misery loves company.

Keltest
2020-03-02, 10:05 AM
As they say, misery loves company.

Just use one of the mind control devices that im sure the mods totally don't have on yourself to wipe your memory and return to your fun.

Peelee
2020-03-02, 10:11 AM
Just use one of the mind control devices that im sure the mods totally don't have on yourself to wipe your memory and return to your fun.

But then when I die and meet the Gatekeeping George Lucas in the Skywalker Ranch, and I say, "Oh wow I loved Star Wars!" and he will say, "but did you even see them all?" with a disappointed look on his beard.

Keltest
2020-03-02, 10:17 AM
But then when I die and meet the Gatekeeping George Lucas in the Skywalker Ranch, and I say, "Oh wow I loved Star Wars!" and he will say, "but did you even see them all?" with a disappointed look on his beard.

And you will say "yes!" and as far as you will be concerned, it will be true.

Alternatively, there is such an absolute abundance of star wars media out there that nobody will ever be able to answer yes to that question honestly.

Besides, TCW isn't a movie, its just a really long pilot episode. Lots of series do that.

And no, im not trying to rationalize ignoring it at all. Whatever are you talking about?

Peelee
2020-03-02, 10:23 AM
Note to self: use mind control device on KeltestIMEAN HEY how's it going see any good Star Wars lately?

Keltest
2020-03-02, 10:25 AM
Note to self: use mind control device on KeltestIMEAN HEY how's it going see any good Star Wars lately?

No :smallfrown: Wait, yes! The Mandalorian. That's still "lately" right?

Schroeswald
2020-03-02, 10:46 AM
No :smallfrown: Wait, yes! The Mandalorian. That's still "lately" right?
It’s the latest, we haven’t had a movie since 2017 and the next season of the Clone Wars isn’t out as far as I know.

factotum
2020-03-02, 11:07 AM
It’s the latest, we haven’t had a movie since 2017 and the next season of the Clone Wars isn’t out as far as I know.

Apparently it started broadcasting on Feb 21st on Disney+. Wouldn't know, don't have it and won't be justifying Disney's greed by getting it.

Peelee
2020-03-02, 11:17 AM
Apparently it started broadcasting on Feb 21st on Disney+. Wouldn't know, don't have it and won't be justifying Disney's greed by getting it.

Far be it from me to suggest Disney isn't greedy, but I have a much smaller problem with a company that has an absolutely massive media library, such as Disney, making their own streaming service than a significantly smaller company with a correspondingly smaller library, such as CBS, making their own streaming service.

Keltest
2020-03-02, 11:22 AM
Far be it from me to suggest Disney isn't greedy, but I have a much smaller problem with a company that has an absolutely massive media library, such as Disney, making their own streaming service than a significantly smaller company with a correspondingly smaller library, such as CBS, making their own streaming service.

Agreed. Disney is probably the only company that I can accept having a company-library-exclusive streaming service for. Maybe Warner Bros or whatever their full name is, if they aren't a part of Disney by now. I don't want to have to pay for 10 streaming services across an equal number of networks just to watch the shows I like.

Peelee
2020-03-02, 11:30 AM
Maybe Warner Bros or whatever their full name is, if they aren't a part of Disney by now.

Warner Bros. is owned by Warner Media, which is owned by AT&T, which is proud to be one of America's five companies.

Fyraltari
2020-03-02, 11:38 AM
{scrubbed}

D.One
2020-03-02, 11:41 AM
if they aren't a part of Disney by now.

They should, if just to make me have only one place to see everything and make Marvel/DC crossovers really easy... :smallbiggrin:

PS: And come on! How in the galaxy the company that owns Star Wars isn't already the owner of the one called AT&T :smallwink:

Emanick
2020-03-02, 11:44 AM
{scrub the post, scrub the quote}

{scrubbed}

Keltest
2020-03-02, 11:46 AM
They should, if just to make me have only one place to see everything and make Marvel/DC crossovers really easy... :smallbiggrin:

PS: And come on! How in the galaxy the company that owns Star Wars isn't already the owner of the one called AT&T :smallwink:

Ive heard AT&T is actually considering selling DC to Marvel if this next run of comics isn't profitable. I don't even want to imagine what that would do to the various movie rights.

factotum
2020-03-02, 11:57 AM

I have a problem with any media company doing it. They didn't set up their own TV channels back in the day*, or set up shops which were the only place you could buy their DVDs, why are they doing such things now everything is in the digital domain?

* Or at least, in cases where they *did*, they didn't restrict those channels to only playing on their own TVs! They were still happy to sell them to Sky or whoever for general broadcast.

Keltest
2020-03-02, 12:03 PM
I have a problem with any media company doing it. They didn't set up their own TV channels back in the day*, or set up shops which were the only place you could buy their DVDs, why are they doing such things now everything is in the digital domain?

* Or at least, in cases where they *did*, they didn't restrict those channels to only playing on their own TVs! They were still happy to sell them to Sky or whoever for general broadcast.

Because the middleman is not mechanically necessary here. In practice, most of the networks will need one to consolidate their services into something worth actually paying for, but they can create and operate their own streaming services without Netflix's assistance. But selling Disney brand TVs or whatever would require them to create TVs to sell, and secure a means of distributing them, and basically for them to invest a lot of resources into operating the storefront on top of making the actual product. That is a lot more potential points of failure for them to manage.

Peelee
2020-03-02, 12:04 PM
I have a problem with any media company doing it.
Oh, I do too. I just have a bigger problem with companies that, effectively are doing it mostly banking on a single property. Like CBS.

They didn't set up their own TV channels back in the day*, or set up shops which were the only place you could buy their DVDs, why are they doing such things now everything is in the digital domain?

Devil's advocate: it's still not like that. it's more like selling their channel a la carte instead of bundled in with the cable companies. You can still play it on most any TV, for example.

Jasdoif
2020-03-02, 12:27 PM
Besides, TCW isn't a movie, its just a really long pilot episode. Lots of series do that.Not even that; it was multiple normal-sized episodes mashed together into a movie format, like some of marketing Frankenstein was in charge. I suppose if the goal was to get people who only watched Star Wars movies to know there was a Star Wars series, that was a way to go about it...but I'd think intentionally making a movie would have resulted in a better movie.

MossyMeow
2020-03-02, 12:58 PM

Call me a weirdo, but I actually really like the Clone Wars movie. Then again, Solo is my favorite of the live-action films, so maybe I’m a little bit nuts.

I also really like Resistance.

Lheticus
2020-03-02, 01:13 PM
All this time, Julia didn't actually believe her brother was doing anything with genuinely serious consequences, did she?

Doug Lampert
2020-03-02, 01:38 PM
All this time, Julia didn't actually believe her brother was doing anything with genuinely serious consequences, did she?

My sisters and I all have serious real world jobs, with consequences when we fail.

If one of us suddenly sprang it on the others that the world would end if we failed at our current job task, I think the other two would be really surprised by that, and probably say something like "You've got to be kidding me" rather than "Well, I mean, that's not really going to happen, right? You'll stop it."

So, to me, Julia is reacting quite well. She accepts that he's actually doing the whole world saving thing with barely a blink, and wants to help. I'd say that her reaction shows that she was already aware that his adventures were important, she just didn't realize how important. If she'd thought he was working on something trivial, she'd never have accepted that he's saving the world that quickly.

Quizatzhaderac
2020-03-02, 02:45 PM
Also, let's remember how often the world almost ends in a parody D&D universe. I bet Julia's already saved the world twice while this was going on.

She just didn't appreciate that Roy is now on a dramatic quest to save the world, instead of mearly a whimsical one.

Peelee
2020-03-02, 02:53 PM
My sisters and I all have serious real world jobs, with consequences when we fail.

If one of us suddenly sprang it on the others that the world would end if we failed at our current job task, I think the other two would be really surprised by that, and probably say something like "You've got to be kidding me" rather than "Well, I mean, that's not really going to happen, right? You'll stop it."

You and your sisters don't live in a world where one can literally alter reality by being really, really smart, to be fair here.

Keltest
2020-03-02, 03:00 PM
You and your sisters don't live in a world where one can literally alter reality by being really, really smart, to be fair here.

I suspect a number of engineers would take issue with that.

MossyMeow
2020-03-02, 03:11 PM

Yeah, everyone knows engineers can shoot fire and lightning from their fingers, fly, and summon monsters out of thin air. It’s part of Engineering 101.

D.One
2020-03-02, 03:13 PM

We would, but we've altered reality to be ok with it (by being really, really smart).

Yeah, everyone knows engineers can shoot fire and lightning from their fingers, fly, and summon monsters out of thin air. It’s part of Engineering 101.

Nah, that's just when we are learning basic math and phisics. ENG 101 deals with Wish stuff.

MossyMeow
2020-03-02, 03:15 PM
We would, but we've altered reality to be ok with it (by being really, really smart).

So if engineers are wizards, then what are sorcerers? Who can alter reality by being really, really charming?

D.One
2020-03-02, 03:16 PM
So if engineers are wizards, then what are sorcerers? Who can alter reality by being really, really charming?

Engineers aren't wizards. Wizards are a kind of engineer. Sorcerers are just another kind...

Emanick
2020-03-02, 03:18 PM

She may or may not have, but since she had practically no information about what he was up to, it wouldn't be terribly surprising either way. (Do we even have proof that she knew he was going after Xykon?)

Peelee
2020-03-02, 03:37 PM

What do engineers have to do with smart people?:smalltongue:

I'd apologize, but what are they gonna do, build a teleporter to come fight me?

Rogar Demonblud
2020-03-02, 04:13 PM
She may or may not have, but since she had practically no information about what he was up to, it wouldn't be terribly surprising either way. (Do we even have proof that she knew he was going after Xykon?)

Proof? No. But I'll bet a Peelee-sized pile of Quatloos that Roy fully read her into everything Blood Oath related. He's not the kind to keep that to himself until just before he dies like Eugene did, and she'd have to know a bit about it for this spell.

Peelee
2020-03-02, 04:23 PM
Proof? No. But I'll bet a Peelee-sized pile of Quatloos that Roy fully read her into everything Blood Oath related. He's not the kind to keep that to himself until just before he dies like Eugene did, and she'd have to know a bit about it for this spell.

I just want to say that being used as a unit of measurement is one of the highest honors I have ever received.

MossyMeow
2020-03-02, 04:29 PM
I just want to say that being used as a unit of measurement is one of the highest honors I have ever received.

Peelee
n) Numerical unit denoting an exceptionally high number of quatloos

Emanick
2020-03-02, 04:42 PM
Peelee

Well, if the ongoing court battle spawned by the bet referenced in my signature doesn't go my way, at least I know who to beg a loan from.

That's a good point, and I agree. I'm just curious how much he'd told her about what he was actually doing. My guess is that he told her that he was going after Xykon but basically nothing else. (And again, maybe an there's explicit on-panel reference to that during the Cliffport strips, though I don't remember any.)

Jasdoif
2020-03-02, 05:40 PM
What do engineers have to do with smart people?:smalltongue:We draw the Venn diagrams, of course!

MossyMeow
2020-03-02, 06:23 PM
We draw the Venn diagrams, of course!

I think we might have to add ‘engineering’ to the list of topics that appear in every GITP thread. This isn’t the first time I’ve seen it come up.

Peelee
2020-03-02, 07:43 PM
We draw the Venn diagrams, of course!

That may well be, but Venn have diagrams ever helped?

Schroeswald
2020-03-02, 08:06 PM
That may well be, but Venn have diagrams ever helped?
Let me draw you a Venn diagram to figure it out...

factotum
2020-03-03, 02:53 AM
Peelee

But (a) how big is Peelee and (b) how big is a Quatloo? I mean, if Peelee is a regular human and a quatloo is the size of a Triganic Pu then that wouldn't be very many at all!

danielxcutter
2020-03-03, 02:57 AM
But (a) how big is Peelee and (b) how big is a Quatloo? I mean, if Peelee is a regular human and a quatloo is the size of a Triganic Pu then that wouldn't be very many at all!

...what in the nine hells is a Triganic Pu?

pentagram
2020-03-03, 04:28 AM
...what in the nine hells is a Triganic Pu?

A unit of galactic currency. Probably, the reference should have been to a ningi, which is a triangular rubber coin six thousand eight hundred miles along each side. The exchange rate is eight ningu for a pu.

goodpeople25
2020-03-03, 06:42 AM
What do engineers have to do with smart people?:smalltongue:

I'd apologize, but what are they gonna do, build a teleporter to come fight me?
You could say the same about the initial premise of wizards relating to smart people. :smallwink:

Indirectly getting engineers compared to wizards might also be something to consider apologizing for before you get quantum-shived.

KorvinStarmast
2020-03-03, 08:19 AM
Yeah, everyone knows engineers can shoot fire and lightning from their fingers, fly, and summon monsters out of thin air. It’s part of Engineering 101. I know an engineer (well I knew and engineer, he died a few years ago) who could make nuclear weapons detonate thanks to his astute application of explosives. Is that close enough to shooting fire and lightning from his fingers? :smalleek:

I think we might have to add ‘engineering’ to the list of topics that appear in every GITP thread. This isn’t the first time I’ve seen it come up. Andromeda thanks you. :smallcool:

Peelee
2020-03-03, 08:48 AM
But (a) how big is Peelee and (b) how big is a Quatloo?

I'm less concerned with those than I am with the idea that the bet is now "an exceptionally high number of quatloos"-sized pile of quatloos.

D.One
2020-03-03, 09:20 AM
I'm less concerned with those than I am with the idea that the bet is now "an exceptionally high number of quatloos"-sized pile of quatloos.

Which means an exceptionally high number of squared quatloos.

LadyEowyn
2020-03-04, 05:10 PM
Politicians, though it’s much more about being “convincing” than “charming”.

ByzantiumBhuka
2020-03-04, 06:01 PM
To continue the analogy, bards are talk show hosts, rangers and druids are environmentalists, and paladins are...televangelists, I guess?

And I dispute your characterization of politicians as sorcerers. They're more like warlocks. :tongue:

Rollin
2020-03-04, 08:10 PM
Which means an exceptionally high number of squared quatloos.

How many square quatloos to a triangular ningi? If we know that, we can work everything else out.

F.Harr
2020-03-04, 09:55 PM
It's been so long since we've heard from Julia. I wonder what perspective she'll bring.

And hey! Roy didn't get into a sparing match with his sister! He really is growing. Those two are never going to know what Eugene gave up for them, are they?

D.One
2020-03-05, 08:00 AM
How many square quatloos to a triangular ningi? If we know that, we can work everything else out.

Well, if you have derivation involved, a near infinite number of nano-sized squared quatloos might form your triangular thingie... (or anything else, for that matter).

Quizatzhaderac
2020-03-05, 09:43 AM
To continue the analogy, bards are talk show hosts, rangers and druids are environmentalists, and paladins are...televangelists, I guess?Paladins are definitely door to door evangelists.
Really, they're the same thing in D&D, but it's just that going door to door is more dangerous there.

I'd say rangers are rangers. Only difference is one gets a useless pet and the other need to be able to jump out of a plane.

DragonclawExia
2020-03-05, 10:06 AM

Well, Actors and Musicians maybe? They primarily use their Charisma to create an Illusion of Reality through Movies and Music.

And Sorcerers are more vain than evil, so they're not Warlocks and Politicians. But they can be pretty self-centered even if they're not actively trying to take over the world.

Clerics are probably still just Priests, but without any weapons.

Rogues are still just Criminals.

Is there anyone important I'm missing?

Rogar Demonblud
2020-03-05, 11:23 AM
Barbarians. Monks. Druids. And that's just PHB classes.

KorvinStarmast
2020-03-05, 02:05 PM
... I dispute your characterization of politicians as sorcerers. They're more like warlocks. :tongue: Yeah, the old "soul sold for power" deal seems to fit as a metaphor.

Is there anyone important I'm missing? Monks. (They make the beer)

CriticalFailure
2020-03-05, 07:11 PM
Could Belkar saying to Mr Scruffy that he doesn't know how he doesn't get bored playing with string be foreshadowing to the Snarl having gotten bored after an eternity just playing with string and starting to try to build?

KorvinStarmast
2020-03-10, 12:07 PM
Could Belkar saying to Mr Scruffy that he doesn't know how he doesn't get bored playing with string be foreshadowing to the Snarl having gotten bored after an eternity just playing with string and starting to try to build? That allusion was not lost on me in #1190, but after I puzzled over that a bit, I got the idea that the String was a metaphor for, or symbolic of, the Snarl. "Who is playing with/manipulating the Snarl?" (as Mr Scruffy does with the snarled string ball) is where my wondering went.

CriticalFailure
2020-03-10, 08:47 PM
That allusion was not lost on me in #1190, but after I puzzled over that a bit, I got the idea that the String was a metaphor for, or symbolic of, the Snarl. "Who is playing with/manipulating the Snarl?" (as Mr Scruffy does with the snarled string ball) is where my wondering went.

That’s an interesting perspective! There’s so many ways it could go. The snark could have got bored and evolved, a god could have discovered how to manipulate it, there are so many possibilities.

danielxcutter
2020-03-10, 08:52 PM
Okay, but -

The snark

*wheezes*

F.Harr
2020-03-11, 10:04 PM
O.K. So this is going to be a Belkar-centered book. Not that I don't expect the others to have some fun, but Belkar looks like he's finally going to take a turn in the sun.

Good. It's been a great build-up.

Is Mirnah going to convert Belkar to being a Thor Worshiper? Because if anyone could, I think it's her. That was a GREAT speech!

danielxcutter
2020-03-11, 10:13 PM
O.K. So this is going to be a Belkar-centered book. Not that I don't expect the others to have some fun, but Belkar looks like he's finally going to take a turn in the sun.

Good. It's been a great build-up.

Is Mirnah going to convert Belkar to being a Thor Worshiper? Because if anyone could, I think it's her. That was a GREAT speech!

Psst! Wrong thread!

Peelee
2020-03-11, 10:16 PM
Psst! Wrong thread!

:confused:

danielxcutter
2020-03-11, 10:18 PM
:confused:

Uh... they posted something about #1194, with Belkar and Minrah... this is the thread for #1193...

Peelee
2020-03-12, 12:45 AM
Uh... they posted something about #1194, with Belkar and Minrah... this is the thread for #1193...

I am not a smart man.

danielxcutter
2020-03-12, 12:53 AM
I am not a smart man.

You're a dragon.