PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Runesmith concept - getting lvl 9 spells by 17th, hitting gish benchmark

Giltintur
2020-02-25, 07:26 PM
So I did a thing... Can you help me to improve it?

Sadly I must start with acknowledging, that it requires GM ruling on Southern Mage can be available (against RAW) to dwarves. I would obviously talk about a wandering shield dwarf living with some Mulan people, but still.

Now that that is out of the way, the goal of the build is to reach the gish benchmark, without losing out on spellcasting, and reaching level 9 spells as soon as possible. From there I had to give up to casting levels (18 & 20) to reach 16 BAB, but by that time it is only about the number of spells, not the spells themselves.

Thematically the character is obviously a protector of the Mountain, and a wizard who gets fed up with staying in the back behind the lines.

I find it entertaining, that until level 10, the character is a bog standard wizard (at least in play-style), and then by level 10-12ish, we are in full-blown gish mood.

Level
Class (level)
BAB
Caster lvl
Spell lvl
Feature
Feat

Domain Wizard 1
Scribe Scroll, Summon Familiar, Arcane domain
Iron Will

Domain Wizard 2

Domain Wizard 3

Southern Magician

Domain Wizard 4

Geomancer 1
Drift 1, Spell versatility 0

Geomancer 2
Drift 1, Spell versatility 1, Ley lines +1
Dodge

Geomancer 3
Drift 2, Spell versatility 2

Geomancer 4
Drift 2, Spell versatility 3

Dragon Slayer 1
Aura of Courage, Damage Bonus,
Weapon & Armour proficiencies
Combat Casting

Runesmith 1
Rune Magic

Abjurant Champion 1
Abjurant armour, extended abjuration

Abjurant Champion 2
Swift abjuration
Arcane strike

Abjurant Champion 3

Abjurant Champion 4
Arcane boost

Abjurant Champion 5
Martial Arcanist
Arcane Mastery

Runesmith 2
Stonecraft expertise

Spell Sword 1
Ignore ASF 10%

Spell Sword 2
17(+1)

Practiced Spellcaster

Spell Sword 3
18(+1)
Ignore ASF 15%

Spell Sword 4
18(+2)
Channel spell 3/day

I'm really open to suggestions to further improve the concept.

If I would have the options for the two flaws from UE, I'd probably go with getting dodge and iron will @ level 1, letting everything go up a few levels and add Extraordinary concentration and Spell penetration @ level 12 & 15 respectively.

Beyond asking for general advice, to have a few exact questions:

Could you suggest better feats then above?
Which arcane domain would most fit the build?

Anthrowhale
2020-02-26, 07:12 AM
Why not go with human? Eliminating somatic components doesn't matter that much when you won't be using physical armor anyways.

Giltintur
2020-02-26, 08:16 AM
The whole concept would be to be a heavy armoured dwarven mage. Sorry, I didn't specify the foundational goal. This is the aspect, which is a theme goal, not necessarily a pure OP objective.

Also, why wouldn't I use physical armour? (I know, luminous, but a fully enchanted armour can be an alternative.)

In my mind, the character would use the heaviest possible armour, a two-handed martial weapon, and a Shield spell.

Afghanistan
2020-02-26, 12:15 PM
Crazy question, maybe I'm missing something or my googlefu is weak, but what is the Arcane domain? Is that some custom Wizard Domain for the Domain Wizard?

Kaleph
2020-02-26, 12:44 PM
Do it sha'ir, and get iron will through the otyugh's hole. The use the first two feat slots for scribe scroll (possibly the Eward's hall gives it for free) and to expand your class skills (you need it to qualify for the geomancer). So you don't need southern magician.

Giltintur
2020-02-26, 01:39 PM
(...)what is the Arcane domain? Is that some custom Wizard Domain for the Domain Wizard?
It is actually that the name of the feat a Domain Wizard gets. I didn't yet know which domain to choose thus I haven't edited it.
However, it is now moot, as:

Do it sha'ir (...) So you don't need southern magician.
Wow, brilliant, thank you, yess :smallbiggrin: !

(...) get iron will through the otyugh's hole. The use the first two feat slots for scribe scroll (possibly the Eward's hall gives it [for free) and to expand your class skills (you need it to qualify for the geomancer) (...)
I'll go though with the otyugh if the DM approves, get a flaw if not.
Do you mean Heward's Hall? Sadly it seems to me it doesn't work. However Knowledge Devotion might be an alternative at level 3.

That would mean something like this:

Level
Class (level)
BAB
Caster lvl
Spell lvl
Feature
Feat

Sha'ir 1
Summon Gen familiar
Scribe scroll, Iron Will
(Flaw or Otyugh's hole)

Sha'ir 2

Sha'ir 3
Recognize genie works
Knowledge Devotion (Nature)

Sha'ir 4

Geomancer 1
Drift 1, Spell versatility 0

Geomancer 2
Drift 1, Spell versatility 1, Ley lines +1
Dodge

Geomancer 3
Drift 2, Spell versatility 2

Geomancer 4
Drift 2, Spell versatility 3

Dragon Slayer 1
Aura of Courage, Damage Bonus,
Weapon & Armour proficiencies
Combat Casting

Runesmith 1
Rune Magic

Abjurant Champion 1
Abjurant armour, extended abjuration

Abjurant Champion 2
Swift abjuration
Arcane strike

Abjurant Champion 3

Abjurant Champion 4
Arcane boost

Abjurant Champion 5
Martial Arcanist
Arcane Mastery

Runesmith 2
Stonecraft expertise

Spell Sword 1
Ignore ASF 10%

Spell Sword 2
17(+1)

Practiced Spellcaster

Spell Sword 3
18(+1)
Ignore ASF 15%

Spell Sword 4
18(+2)
Channel spell 3/day

This would also open up playing a Gold Dwarf, which is way better from a race harmony with the build point of view.:durkon:
Or rather a Draconic Gold Dwarf for a bit more oomph on all relevant attributes, and a buy off at level 3. :furious:

Knowledge devotion is a more useful skill for the build as Southern Magician, and Iron Will should be manageable.

Thank's for the idea Kaleph, once again!

Afghanistan
2020-02-26, 03:32 PM
It is actually that the name of the feat a Domain Wizard gets. I didn't yet know which domain to choose thus I haven't edited it.

Ah, I was confused there. It's a class feature that Domain Wizard gets.

Giltintur
2020-02-26, 04:56 PM
Do it sha'ir

There's a single challange here: Diplomacy stops being a class skill after Geomancer :(

I've seen education (that in fearun is a non-dwarf feat), and apprenticeship as ways to get skills, but they don't help much better than knowledge devotion.
Is there any way, to gain BOTH Knowledge Nature and Diplomacy as class skill with a dwarf?

Please disregard. With the rules on a sha'ir, the test always succeeds with 4 ranks on a take 10, even for the highest possible castable divine spell.

I calculated Sha'ir level as caster level, which is incorrect. Therefore sadly my question stands.

Maat Mons
2020-02-26, 08:28 PM
Couldn't you do the same thing with Cleric 16 / Dragonslayer 4? Or with Cleric 16 / Prestige Paladin 4? Substitute some of those Cleric levels for a prestige class if you like. Runecaster seems thematic.

Is Geomancer just there because it's 3/4 BAB and full casting? You can use divine PrCs to advance Sha'ir, right? You sure there isn't some 3/4 BAB, full casting divine PrC that would be better in the build?

Kaleph
2020-02-27, 12:51 AM
There's a single challange here: Diplomacy stops being a class skill after Geomancer :(

I've seen education (that in fearun is a non-dwarf feat), and apprenticeship as ways to get skills, but they don't help much better than knowledge devotion.
Is there any way, to gain BOTH Knowledge Nature and Diplomacy as class skill with a dwarf?

Please disregard. With the rules on a sha'ir, the test always succeeds with 4 ranks on a take 10, even for the highest possible castable divine spell.

I calculated Sha'ir level as caster level, which is incorrect. Therefore sadly my question stands.

Try academy graduate

Giltintur
2020-02-27, 04:46 AM
Try academy graduate

I'll either try that discussing with my DM that I need a mentor for my apprenticeship who is a Diplomacy/Knowledge Nature beast, or go with noble born/academy graduate for Diplomacy.

Couldn't you do the same thing with Cleric 16 / Dragonslayer 4? Or with Cleric 16 / Prestige Paladin 4? Substitute some of those Cleric levels for a prestige class if you like. Runecaster seems thematic.

Indeed, it is thematic, and I wish to play a wizard or equivalent arcane caster. Thus Sha'ir.

Is Geomancer just there because it's 3/4 BAB and full casting? You can use divine PrCs to advance Sha'ir, right? You sure there isn't some 3/4 BAB, full casting divine PrC that would be better in the build?

3/4 BAB, full spellcasting and available at levels 5-8. The alternative would be Full BAB full casting from level 7-8, with a 1/2 BAB full casting class (Sha'ir or prestige) for level 5-6.

So I need to reach the BAB of 5 by level 8. And to be honest, having 4+ skill points is an additional benefit, as this way with an Intelligence of 12+ the required skills can easily be maxed (Diplomacy, Spellcraft, Concentration) with all the silly little requirements of the various classes.

With a quick search, I didn't find anything that I could go for. Does anyone know of one?

Giltintur
2020-02-27, 09:45 AM
Try academy graduate

I have calculated with Noble Born as a feat (meaning the build requires least one flaw to function):
This means Diplomacy and Knowledge: Nobles & Royalty are class skills. In this case with Sha'ir spellcasting with diplomacy and other required skills are achievable. Providing, that Intelligence is at least 14, as the skill points are quite needed.

Lvl
Class___(level)
Spell-slot level
Known spell w/ take 10
Divine spell w/ take 10
Know.: Arcana
Know.: Nature
Tumble
Diplomacy
Concentration
Spellcraft
Know.: Nobility
Bluff
Craft

Sha'ir 1
n/a

Sha'ir 2
n/a

Sha'ir 3
n/a

Sha'ir 4

Geomancer 1

Geomancer 2

Geomancer 3

Geomancer 4

Drag. Slayer 1

Runesmith 1

Abj. Champ. 1

Abj. Champ. 2

Abj. Champ. 3

Abj. Champ. 4

Abj. Champ. 5

Runesmith 2

Spell Sword 1

Spell Sword 2

Spell Sword 3

Spell Sword 4

Diplomacy is required at until all spells are certanly reachable, but I think a bit more lenient maxing of concentration and spellcraft are managable.
I spent on Bluff and Knowledge: Royalty and Nobility only for the synergies.

Is this an optimal spending of skills, or am I going unnesseraly overboard with anything?
Other than character optimising, which is a goal anyhow. :smallbiggrin:

Kaleph
2020-02-27, 12:49 PM
I'm a bit lost (it may depend on the fact I'm with my mobile phone, which isn't optimal to read long posts).

If you can take academy graduate, you get diplomacy, knowledge (nature) and knowledge (nobility etc.) as class skills with one feats; if you really need two, I have the feeling that the build could become suboptimal, even for a gish.

With a human it would be of course easier, due to the bonus feat and the OA human subraces - although I understand beeing a dwarf is part of the concept. In addition, did you identify a dwarf sub-race that possibly doesn't hit charisma?

By the way, for scribe scroll I was indeed referring to Heward's (not Eward's) hall, you're right. There's an adaptation that grants an item creation feat for free, I wouldn't ignore it (even if it is admittedly difficult to fulfil the prerequisites).

Giltintur
2020-02-28, 05:23 AM
I'm a bit lost (it may depend on the fact I'm with my mobile phone, which isn't optimal to read long posts).

If you can take academy graduate, you get diplomacy, knowledge (nature) and knowledge (nobility etc.) as class skills with one feats; if you really need two, I have the feeling that the build could become suboptimal, even for a gish.

With a human it would be of course easier, due to the bonus feat and the OA human subraces - although I understand beeing a dwarf is part of the concept. In addition, did you identify a dwarf sub-race that possibly doesn't hit charisma?

By the way, for scribe scroll I was indeed referring to Heward's (not Eward's) hall, you're right. There's an adaptation that grants an item creation feat for free, I wouldn't ignore it (even if it is admittedly difficult to fulfil the prerequisites).

The chart just shows skills, and the diplomacy required for maximal possible retrieval. I didn't even calculate with drift 2, so it's even better, I just need 16 ranks. Thank's to your handbook I realised it.

Academy graduate is wonderful, I'll use it :)

Indeed, Gold Dwarf is -2 Dex +2 Constitution. The Dex penalty hurts due to dodge, but nothing horrible, and way better than a penalty to the single attribute that matters :smallbiggrin:
With a 32 point buy without templates it would mean an okay spread. With a Draconic template for +1LA it would be even better with reducing LA at level 3.

Gold Dwarf
Draconic
Gold Dwarf

Strength

Dexterity

Constitution

Intelligence

Wisdom

Charisma

Regards to Scribe Scroll & Heward's: is this written somewhere, I can't seem to see it in Complete Scoundrel :smallconfused:
Scrap that, I found it "any item creation feats". It's a viable alternative, or if not, then Domain Draught: Rune Domain would be a fun alternative to qualify for Runesmith level 1.