PDA

View Full Version : What should I play?

Trandir
2020-02-26, 06:30 AM
Well in a while I will join a campaign and we can use only the player's handbook to build our characters. I do not have a lot of experience with Pathfinder (1e) so has anyone any advice on something fun to play or about the game in general?

Sidenote: the DM might be willing to allow simple things from other books (like races) but not classes.

Edit: we start at level 1 and the stats I got before racial modifiers are: 16, 18, 13, 10, 18, 8

Answer: a druid

Kurald Galain
2020-02-26, 06:53 AM
What do you want to play?

What level are you at?

What are your character's stats?

What RPGs, if any, do you have a lot of experience with?

Trandir
2020-02-26, 07:33 AM

What level are you at?

What are your character's stats?

What RPGs, if any, do you have a lot of experience with?

I'm opened to suggestions since even I don't know what I want to play yet.

Level 1. I hope that the session 1 woj't become a meat grinder.

The stats are: 16, 18, 13, 10, 18, 8

I know how to play D&D 3.5, 4th and 5th editions and to a lesser extent also 7th sea but I don't know pathfinder. It's supposed to be similar to 3.5 tho, right?

I don't really know

Kurald Galain
2020-02-26, 07:42 AM
I don't know pathfinder. It's supposed to be similar to 3.5 tho, right?

Yes it is.

Except that you'll get much more options at low level, which is nice if you're starting at level 1. Barbarian gets totem powers, rogue gets sneaky tricks, sorcerer gets bloodline abilities, and so forth. Plus all spellcasters get infinite-use cantrips (meaning you'll never have to resort to a crossbow any more), and rogues can out-of-the-box sneak attack just about anything (including undead). Oh, and paladin smiting lasts a full combat, instead of just one attack.

Do you know what the rest of the party is playing? Otherwise you'll just have to pick a class that you like.

Trandir
2020-02-26, 07:53 AM
Yes it is.

Except that you'll get much more options at low level, which is nice if you're starting at level 1. Barbarian gets totem powers, rogue gets sneaky tricks, sorcerer gets bloodline abilities, and so forth. Plus all spellcasters get infinite-use cantrips (meaning you'll never have to resort to a crossbow any more), and rogues can out-of-the-box sneak attack just about anything (including undead). Oh, and paladin smiting lasts a full combat, instead of just one attack.

Do you know what the rest of the party is playing? Otherwise you'll just have to pick a class that you like.

Good to know. 3.5 rogue is just sad, but the barbarian got ACF for the totem powers and rage so it was already one of tje most customizable classes at low levels.

I only know that one of the players will bring a dragon sorcerer, I have no idea of what the other 4 PCs (including mine) might be.

Kurald Galain
2020-02-26, 08:01 AM
Here you go, list of rogue sneaky tricks (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/) and list of barb totem abilities (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/rage-powers). In both cases, you get one of these for free every other level.

Trandir
2020-02-26, 08:07 AM
Here you go, list of rogue sneaky tricks (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/) and list of barb totem abilities (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/rage-powers). In both cases, you get one of these for free every other level.

I was considering the druid. Any advice for that?

Kurald Galain
2020-02-26, 08:12 AM
I was considering the druid. Any advice for that?

Good class, and largely the same as in 3E. The main difference is that shapeshifting now gives (e.g.) +4 str instead of setting your str to 20; meaning you can no longer dump and ignore all your physical stats like you could in 3E.

You do get large, tiny, and elemental wildshape at level 6 instead of 8 (large), 11 (tiny) and 16 (elemental); and huge and plant at 8 instead of 15/12; so that helps.

Trandir
2020-02-26, 08:23 AM
Good class, and largely the same as in 3E. The main difference is that shapeshifting now gives (e.g.) +4 str instead of setting your str to 20; meaning you can no longer dump and ignore all your physical stats like you could in 3E.

You do get large, tiny, and elemental wildshape at level 6 instead of 8 (large), 11 (tiny) and 16 (elemental); and huge and plant at 8 instead of 15/12; so that helps.

Oh god what have they done to wild shape. I guess it's more balanced this way but still.

Leon
2020-02-27, 05:12 AM
Oh god what have they done to wild shape. I guess it's more balanced this way but still.

What 3.X should have done. Except that they failed to keep the natural spell nonsense out again.

Zhepna
2020-02-28, 10:01 PM
Play what you always wanted to be in real life.