PDA

View Full Version : Building BB"E"Gs for a possible campaign

Holocron Coder
2007-10-22, 10:27 AM
The title basically says it all. I need two build two BB"E"G for a campaign I have in mind. I have a good idea of what I want, but filling in the details or figuring out mechanics is what I need help with.

BB"E"G #1: The Necromancer
Human Dread Necromancer 20
High Int, Decent Dex, Con
Feat for using Int instead of Cha for abilities (flavor-based)
What else?
Basic Personality: Very studious, researching undead as a fascination, carelessly lets "old experiments" loose, causing the campaign in a sense. Either Neutral or Neutral Evil, leaning towards former.

BB"E"G #2: The Dire Werewolf Henchman
Dire Werewolf / Human ?? 20
High Str, Con, Decent Dex, 11-12 Int, Wis, Cha
Planning on being a grapple build.
Feat for using Str in all grapple-related checks
Reaping Mauler full (Feat above used for the class features)
Need base class(es), feats, solution for Freedom of Movement spell
Basic Personality: Fanatically devoted to BB"E"G #1, bodyguard-esque. First werewolf ever (Natural). Probably Lawful Neutral / Lawful Evil.

So, I need help making them :) As the DM, I can assign any ability scores I like, though I do wish to be realistic with it. Thus, no higher than 18, probably only 1 score of 18, etc. Before adjustments for race, levelling, etc. Feats are needed also, along with the class of the werewolf.

Here is what I have so far:

BB"E"G #1:

Medium Human Dread Necromancer 20
Hit Dice: 20d12 (130 hp)
Initiative: +?
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: ? (+? Dex, +? Armor), touch ?, flatfooted ?
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+?
Attack: +?
Full Attack: +?
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special: Spellcasting (Dread Necromancer, 20), Charnel Touch, Rebuke Undead, Negative Energy Burst 4/day, Fear Aura, Scabrous Touch 3/day, Summon Familiar, Undead Mastery, Advanced Learning x5, Enervating Touch, Lich
Saves: Fort ? (6 + ?), Ref ? (6 + ?), Will ? (12 + ?)
Abilities: Str ?, Dex ?, Con -, Int 23, Wis ?, Cha ?
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) +?, Spellcraft +?, ?
Feats: Craft Wonderous Item (DN19)
Alignment: Neutral
Equipment:

BB"E"G #2:

Medium Human (Lycanthrope: Dire Wolf) Monk 1 / Fighter 4 / X ? / Reaping Mauler 5
Hit Dice: 4d10 + ?dX + 5d10 + ?
Initiative: +?
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: ? (+? Dex, +? Armor), touch ?, flatfooted ?
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+?
Attack: +?
Full Attack:
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special: Adept Wrestling +2, Counter Grapple, Sleeper Lock, Devastating Grapple, Flurry of Blows, AC Bonus (Wis)
Saves:
Abilities: Str 37 (18 + 5 + 14), Dex ? (? + 4), Con ? (? + 6), Int 11, Wis 12 (10 + 2), Cha 12
Skills: Escape Artist +?, Tumble +?
Feats: Improved Grapple (RM), Mobility (RM), Improved Unarmed Strike (M1)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Equipment:

Tyrael
2007-10-22, 10:33 AM
For the grappling wolf, check this out: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60698

For the Necro, I don't know what you mean by "use INT instead of CHA for abilities", but I'd advise Wizard class, 18 INT, 16 CHA, 9 WIS, whatever else for the other stats. Play him like an absent-minded professor. Stay away from the darkness and skulls and things, just make him a doddering old academic whose only real oddity is his werewolf manservant and a few skeletons in the entryway, who he animates to help him with the gardening and occasional anatomy sketches. Introduce the werewolf as "Hector(or some other innocent name), who will be taking your cloaks this evening. Or is it your skins? I forget which. Doesn't matter. Care for some tea?" *werewolf attacks*

Holocron Coder
2007-10-22, 10:45 AM
Haha, funny ideas :) However, in response...

For the Necro, I don't know what you mean by "use INT instead of CHA for abilities", but I'd advise Wizard class, 18 INT, 16 CHA, 9 WIS, whatever else for the other stats.

I do really want to keep to the Dread Necromancer class. A majority of the campaign will be fighting the undead he creates, before stumbling upon him. Once he's found, it'll mostly be a "He frowns, annoyed at the intrusion, then disappears" of a sort. As for the use Int instead of Cha bit, it's because the Dread Necromancer class is Cha-based casting and undead-controlling, but the feel of the character is that he has intrinsic ability with undead, but comes to better proficiency at it through studying ancient texts. For example, being able to create a zombie, but doesn't know how he does it, therefore studies in order to make a GOOD zombie, rather than one that basically stands there and stares into space.

Tyrael
2007-10-22, 10:56 AM
Ah, so it's a "quest for perfection" thing. Well, depending on how evil he is, you could do him in a number of ways. Personally I'm still rather keen upon the "misunderstood egghead" necromancer idea, but you could always modify it slightly and make him a bit like a little kid.

Little kids are some of the evilest buggers around, sometimes. They jump in puddles to make you muddy, they pull legs off insects, they poke a dog in the eye "just to see what happens", etc, etc. You could make it so that he's like a 4th-grader who's really proud of his latest science project.

*PCs burst into the lair*
BBEG: "Awww! Just 5 more minutes, please!? I got this really cool guy, you're gonna love him! See, I was trying to make an awesome zombie guy, right? But going "braaains" all the time is so lame, so I thought "wouldn't it be cool if this guy had a demon in him" cuz everyone knows demons are the coolest things ever, except maybe pirates or ninjas, so I said "hey why choose?" and made him a pirate ninja demon zombie! Isn't it COOL!?!?"
*Pirate Ninja Demon Zombie lumbers forward and attacks*

Another take on it would be a peeved, middle-aged wizard guy:
*PCs burst into lair*
BBEG: "Confounditall! What's the POINT of minions if they don't even slow down the blasted do-gooders? Honestly, you can't get good help these days, not at today's rates, anyway. So, I expect you're here to try to lop off my head like the lot of uncivilized sword-swingers you no doubt are, eh?" *eyes the party tank* "Especially you. I wouldn't doubt if you couldn't tie your boots this morning. This whole thing is really quite vexing, you know that? Hector! HECTOR!"
*werewolf appears*
"Do be so kind and show these braggarts the door, would you?"
*werewolf attacks*

As you can see, I'm rather fond of creative writing. :smallbiggrin:

Holocron Coder
2007-10-22, 11:03 AM
Haha. Yeah. Essentially he'll be some mix of those two ideas :)

Though, really what I need is mechanics for the two guys >_>

Tyrael
2007-10-22, 01:51 PM
Oh, jeez. You're statting these guys out to level 20? As a primary caster, the necromancer will Wipe The Floor with the party without even breaking a sweat.

Edit: In terms of mechanics, I can't be much help, since I tend to create combat characters and stay away from casters. Check the Logic Ninja's Batman thread for spell suggestions for the Necromancer.

For the Werewolf, first off, if it's level 20 you're going about things all wrong. At that level, Freedom of Movement is everywhere, and so Grapple doesn't do squat against PCs that powerful. Get rid of that Monk level. There's no reason to have it. Monks are just eww.

I recommend making that Werewolf a damage-dealing powerhouse. For class, try Barbarian or Fighter, going into Frenzied Berserker for that 4-to-1 Power Attack return. Go for full BAB whenever possible. With that 37 Strength(how on earth did you get that, anyway?), you should give him a two-handed weapon and have him LeapAttack+ShockTrooper someone in the party. Make him a Half-Orc Werewolf and give him Heedless Rush from Races of Faerun (DOUBLES all charge damage). This is a level 20 party, don't be afraid to kill a few since they can cast Raise Dead, like, 50 times per day.

If you give that Werewolf a Greatsword, give him Strongarm Bracers (Magic Item Compendium, lets you wield weapons 1 size category larger than normal) to up the sword damage to 3d6. Since his STR mod is +13 (and assuming full BAB), his Full Attack should be +33/+28/+23/+18. With Power Attack and full BAB, if you sink all +20 of your BAB into Power Attack(and then shunt it to AC through Shock Trooper), coupled with the Frenzied Berserker's Supreme Power Attack, you should get +100 damage from power attack, which is then doubled (from Leap Attack) to +200 damage, which is then doubled again (from Heedless Rush) to +400 damage, so the total damage should be 3d6(weapon)+400(power attack/leapattack/heedlessrush)+20(STR). Basically, this guy should be able to one-shot-kill anyone in the party he wants to.

If that's not your thing, try the same build with Natural Weapons. I don't know all of the cheesy ways to screw around with Natural Weapons, but I can apply the same theory as before. I don't know the base damage for them, but oh well. From pure STR and Power Attack alone, you should get +100(Supreme Power Attack) doubled to +200 damage(+100% from LeapAttack) doubled to +400 damage (Heedless Rush) +13 (STR), so even without a two-handed weapon, you can one-shot things.

I'm not 100% sure about my math with the second option, though.

So there are some thoughts for ya.

merrja666
2007-10-22, 03:40 PM
Hmm.....well, as it is a Necromancer, I'll suggest a few ideas for him.

Undead - Make them explode! There is a nice little thing is Libris Mortis that means when they die, they cause damage to everyone nearby. A Must-Have!

There is a variant of the Brilliant Energy spell that is Brilliant Energy, Mass. As Brilliant Energy weapons ignore non-living matter - Armour, Shields, walls, and Undead, this will make most melee weapon fighters useless. :smallbiggrin:

Give them a higher Turn Resistance than normal, and have the PCs be in the middle of a big, wide, open area before you summon the Undead. (You could use the Repeat Spell Feat + Quicken Spell Feat, so that if you used it on, say Summon Undead II, which would make it a 9th-Level spell, you can summon about 6d3's worth of level 1 undead in one turn, and 6d3's worth the next.

Personally, I would use that and a Quickened Summon Undead IV, so that the PCs would be fighting off a lot of undead very quickly. If you use that with Brilliant Energy, Mass , the PCs would have a very hard time.