PDA

View Full Version : If you give a slaad Marvelous Pigments.....

Brookshw
2020-02-26, 11:33 AM
As a fun little side-thing I think I'm going to have a slaad with a large supply of Marvelous Pigments running around a large town, generally causing a ruckus. The question is, what would the slaad make with them, or how might it modify ye olde traditional town features? Any suggestions appreciated, the wilder the better.

iTreeby
2020-02-26, 02:11 PM
Well, slaads are from limbo where reality can be reshaped acourding to your will anyway, they don't really need to use the marvelous pigments if limbo is leaking out onto the material. Slaads are very chaotic but basically act like xenomorphs from the alien franchise. They don't really mess around with art.

KorvinStarmast
2020-02-26, 03:18 PM
As a fun little side-thing I think I'm going to have a slaad with a large supply of Marvelous Pigments running around a large town, generally causing a ruckus. The question is, what would the slaad make with them, or how might it modify ye olde traditional town features? Any suggestions appreciated, the wilder the better. I laughed and laughed as I read your post. :smallbiggrin:

The Slaad would first draw a bunch of Escher diagrams/pictures (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a3/Escher%27s_Relativity.jpg) ... :smallbiggrin:

Brookshw
2020-02-26, 03:25 PM
Well, slaads are from limbo where reality can be reshaped acourding to your will anyway, they don't really need to use the marvelous pigments if limbo is leaking out onto the material. Slaads are very chaotic but basically act like xenomorphs from the alien franchise. They don't really mess around with art.

Yes and no. While you are correct that Slaad are from Limbo, they also engage in a wide variety of acts aside from those of the xenomorphs in Alien(s). Offhand, a brief canonical list of such activities includes: (1) writing books, (2) polymorphing gold dragon hatchlings into chromatic dragons, (3) stealing parts of cities, and (4) intentionally disrupting trade and travel.

I would not be using a scenario where there would be a planar convergence between the Prime and Limbo, and instead the Slaad would be relying upon the pigments.

The Slaad would first draw a bunch of Escher diagrams/pictures (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a3/Escher%27s_Relativity.jpg) ... :smallbiggrin:

Absolutely! :smallbiggrin:

Spriteless
2020-02-26, 03:42 PM
You can do something even more creepy than the swirling elemental chaos of Limbo. (https://youtu.be/vrCQ_6ldspA?t=704) But without going all flesh monster.

Telonius
2020-02-26, 03:46 PM
I was half expecting this to be a take-off on the "If you give a mouse a cookie.." books.

Which would also make a hilarious campaign.

Brookshw
2020-02-26, 03:55 PM
I was half expecting this to be a take-off on the "If you give a mouse a cookie.." books.

Absolutely! I'm totally on board.

tKUUNK
2020-02-26, 05:53 PM
I love the Escher idea.

then, add the Nightmarish Things:

a Walmart
Empty ice cream containers
music stores....full of Hanson Brothers albums
a giant pile of love letters addressed to men or women buried in the local graveyard
broken statues with screaming faces, that look like the townsfolk
the bar tab your barbarian has been avoiding

and with that, I'll pass the torch.

MagneticKitty
2020-02-26, 09:17 PM
"He'll be irresistibly drawn to large cities where he'll back up plumbing, reverse street signs, and steal everyone's left shoe."

Brookshw
2020-02-26, 09:35 PM

Okay, I thought about it. Here's a campaign/adventure premise.

Rennbuu is planning a visit to the prime to celebrate the 317th anniversary of his favorite Monday. In preparation for his arrival he's sending forth a slue of minions to "decorate" the city in ways he'll find interesting. Those whose "works" he finds particularly exciting will be rewarded with instant promotion in the Slaad ranks. This leads to fierce competition among the Slaad to out do, sabotage, or simply eat one another. A nearly limitless supply of Marvelous Pigments has been provided to the Slaad to help with this endeavour, and some Slaad are seeking outside help. Finally, those works of exceptional quality may even be taken back to Rennbuu's palace in Limbo, even if such works are entire city districts.

@MagneticKitty & tKUUNK, nice. Keep em coming!

Magicspook
2020-02-27, 02:55 AM
If we lean more into the chaotic side of things rather than the evil side...

It would create huge windows in the side of peoples bed/bathrooms (can you make windows with marvellous pigments?)

Make weird statues of heroic slaad knights saving beautiful slaad princesses

Outfit an alleyway with 1000 grasping hands sticking out of the wall

Plant trees upside-down on ceilings or wor additional weirdness, planted with their branches and their roots sticking into the air

Make lively graffiti of primus and modrons,of course